PDA

View Full Version : Red zone failure

steelnavy
09-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I get it that the O-line is less than desirable and that could be affecting how well the offense is moving the ball. But if the line is so freaking weak, WHY DO THEY KEEP RUNNING IT UP THE MIDDLE FROM THE ONE YARD LINE? Everybody and their grandmother knows what the play call is. Can't the great BA come up with something a little more creative that plays off of our strengths?!? And if you are going to pound the ball up the middle when the D knows that you are going to do it, at least put Redman in!

How many years (since BA got here) have we been doing the same thing over and over and over again WITH THE SAME RESULTS? 1st and goal from the 1 and NOTHING. If I were a defender, I would mug the receiver in the end zone every time the ball came near him and risk a flag because I know there is a good chance that we can keep them to 3 points instead of allowing 7.

Go BA!

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
This team is creative. Don't we always throw a suprise receiver pass ?

I was watching other games today and as bad as our o-line is there are things that could be implemented around the goal line. Your right as rain with your frustration. The biggest problem this team has is Arians and hist hatred towards a true fullback and his inability to adjust on the fly or to try new things.

And before someone flips their cookies over " it's a passing league now" it still wouldn't hurt to be able to impose your teams will on the other team with a strong run once in a while.

Jooser
09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
If ya gotta run it with Mendy on 1st and goal, then let him hit the edge, that's his strength. But seriously, Bettis would find it hard to get into the endzone when he's being bombarded in the backfield on inside running plays.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-18-2011, 09:02 PM
This was against the friggin' Seahawks.

Very upsetting.

Pahn711
09-18-2011, 09:02 PM
How many years (since BA got here) have we been doing the same thing over and over and over again WITH THE SAME RESULTS? 1st and goal from the 1 and NOTHING. If I were a defender, I would mug the receiver in the end zone every time the ball came near him and risk a flag because I know there is a good chance that we can keep them to 3 points instead of allowing 7.

What do you suggest they do instead? From that short of a field running outside or a reverse is even more likely to lose yardage, and we all know the risks of passing in that situation...

The blame needs to be placed on the o-line and them taking care of their blocking assignments correctly, not BA. I pointed out a few examples while watching the game where guys like David Johnson and Marcus Gilbert either let a defender get by them or failed to get the right angle on their assignment.

NorCal-Steeler
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
mendy has no buisiness in there in short yardage redzone. He runs at the line flat footed looking to make a cutback he needs to lower his head and power forward. Even Ben will lower his head and try and power in. Redzone Redman on the bench doesnt make sence..

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
mendy has no buisiness in there in short yardage redzone. He runs at the line flat footed looking to make a cutback he needs to lower his head and power forward. Even Ben will lower his head and try and power in. Redzone Redman on the bench doesnt make sence..

X2

drprwnap
09-18-2011, 10:40 PM
The problem, imo, is formation. Why, why do we put in the jumbo package? :evil: There are NO GAPS to hit. When you bring in two tight ends, it also brings in two defenders to the area you're trying to run the ball. Hell, even a set with two receivers split wide opens up the running lanes.

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
The problem, imo, is formation. Why, why do we put in the jumbo package? :evil: There are NO GAPS to hit. When you bring in two tight ends, it also brings in two defenders to the area you're trying to run the ball. Hell, even a set with two receivers split wide opens up the running lanes.

Arians and a jumbo package ? He's too bull headed. Not only should we have a jumbo package at goal lines, he should have one when, we get a lead and would like to run down the clock, run down their defense or at least give our defense a breather.

Despite all my rant, we probably don't have enough talent at o-line anyway. I guess will never really know because Arians won't go that way.

Kemo and Pouncey can be road graders if called upon. So could Flozell if he was still here. I doubt Legursky, Foster or Scott could do anything more than they do now. Gilbert, who knows but I doubt it.

Flasteel
09-18-2011, 10:55 PM

X2

X3

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Steelers Notebook: Line won't shirk blame for failure at goal line

Monday, September 19, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201109/freed_steelers091811_3_500.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger is slow to get up after taking a hit from Seattle Seahawks defensive end Raheem Brock late in the second quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.

The Steelers started a new left guard and right tackle in Sunday's home opener against the Seahawks. And at various times throughout the game, the other three starters suffered bumps and bruises that threatened to cause even more disruption on the line.

Still, none of them would make any excuses for the performance of the short-yardage offense, which was about the only negative in an otherwise resounding 24-0 victory.

The Steelers drove the ball at will against the Seahawks for most of the game, but came up short with their goalline offense. They had four first-and-goal opportunities inside the Seattle 5-yard line and could muster only 17 points.

The Steelers had first-and-goal at the 1 on their first drive and were stopped on downs after Rashard Mendenhall was stonewalled at the 1 on fourth down. Later in the first half, they had to settle for a field goal after a first-and-goal at the 2.

Mendenhall did redeem himself with a 1-yard touchdown run, but Ben Roethlisberger threw a 2-yard pass to Mike Wallace on second down for the other touchdown after a first-and-goal at the 4.

"We can't make any excuses for that," said Ramon Foster, who started at left guard in place of the injured Chris Kemoeatu. "We have to push that in right there. That's just one of those things that falls on the offensive line, and we have to be better than that."

Reserve running back Isaac Redman's nickname is "Red Zone Redman" because he has excelled in short-yardage situations, but Mendenhall got the ball twice on the first drive and failed to score. On the drive that resulted in a field goal, Redman replaced Mendenhall after he lost a yard. Redman could gain only a yard on second down before Roethlisberger threw an incomplete pass on third down.

"It's tough," Redman said. "We'll watch the film and see what happened. But there's no excuse. We have to get in the end zone when we're down there on the 1."

Ben's scare

Roethlisberger -- and Steelers Nation -- had a scare late in the second quarter when Seattle's Raheem Brock hit him late and at the knees after a completion to Miller. Roethlisberger stayed on the ground for a few minutes before limping off of the field.

Charlie Batch came in for two plays -- both handoffs -- before Roethlisberger returned for a third-and-goal play at the Seattle 2. His pass intended for Hines Ward was incomplete.

"It was pretty scary," Roethlisberger said. "You just feel guys roll up on your legs, and when he rolled up on me it was a scary feeling. Structurally, it felt fine. I didn't feel anything pop, so that was the good thing about it. Then, it was just a matter of playing through the pain."

Roethlisberger played the rest of the game.

Quick hits

• Starting defensive end Brett Keisel left the game in the second half with a knee injury. Coach Mike Tomlin said it was a mild ligament sprain.

• Mendenhall, who finished with 66 yards, has rushed for at least one touchdown in seven consecutive games against NFL opponents.

• Roethlisberger is 13-1 against NFC opponents at home.

• Wallace tied a career high with eight receptions for 126 yards. He has gone over 100 yards receiving in five consecutive games.

• Ward has four receptions for 33 yards and needs 33 more to pass Don Maynard for 20th in NFL history.

• James Harrison became the sixth player in franchise history to recorded 50 sacks. He has 50.5 for his career after sacking Seattle's Jackson.

• Redman scored the first rushing touchdown of his career with a 20-yard run in the second quarter.

• The Steelers won their ninth consecutive home opener and improved to 29-13 in home openers since 1970. Tomlin is the only coach in franchise history to win five consecutive home openers.

• The Steelers have outscored the Seahawks 45-0 in their past two meetings.

• Actresses Jane Seymour and Chelsea Kane took part in the pregame Terrible Towel twirl. They watched the game from Ward's private box.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11262/11 ... z1YN6QqCnF (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11262/1175827-66-0.stm#ixzz1YN6QqCnF)

feltdizz
09-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Redman please.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Redman please.

Steelers Notes: Coming up short in short yardage

Sunday, September 18, 2011
By Andrew Chiappazzi Times Sports Correspondent

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1324491/37804271E.jpg

PITTSBURGH -- Isaac Redman made the Steelers' roster out of training camp in 2009 because of his potential in short yardage situations. But it took him until Sunday to score his first rushing touchdown, and it didn't come inside the five-yard line. Redman's 20-yard score in the second quarter was the third touchdown of his career; he caught two touchdown passes last season.

Redman had a chance for a short-yardage touchdown on the next series, but he was stopped on second down.

In four possessions inside the five-yard line, the Steelers scored two touchdowns, settled for a field goal and turned the ball over on downs. It's a percentage that Redman and the Steelers would like to improve.

"It's tough. We'll have to watch the film and see what happened," Redman said. "But there's no excuse. We have to get into the end zone when we're down there."
That included an opportunity on the opening series where the ball was just shy of the goal line. The Steelers lost the ball on downs.

"We have to push that in right there," guard Ramon Foster said. "That's one of those things that falls on the offensive line, first and foremost. We have to be better at that."

NEWS & NOTES

-- After rushing for just 66 yards as a team against Baltimore, the Steelers had 124 yards against the Seahawks. Rashard Mendenhall had 66 yards on 19 carries, while Isaac Redman finished with 10 carries for 49 yards, both career highs.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 12e20.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-notes-coming-up-short-in-short-yardage/article_17679967-1f10-5300-aea1-0c5c57212e20.html)

Jigawatts
09-20-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd rather see Ben roll out and improvise than see Mendy try to run up the middle from
1 inch outside the goal line.

fordfixer
09-21-2011, 02:13 AM
RB Redman adds options for Steelers
September 21, 2011
By John Mehno - For the Mirror
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=751 (http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/553775/RB-Redman-adds-options-for-Steelers.html?nav=751)

PITTSBURGH - Re-heating some leftovers from Sunday's Pittsburgh Steelers game:

n Running back Isaac Redman did some nice things in the 24-0 victory over Seattle, and that's a good sign.

Redman can not only give Rashard Mendenhall some downs to rest, he presents a different challenge for opposing defenses.

Redman is a slasher, Mendenhall is a bulldozer. Redman can catch a pass out of the backfield.

His skills give defenses a different kind of challenge, and that change of pace should work in the Steelers' favor.

n The young receivers continue to impress.

The Steelers got good work from third-year man Mike Wallace and second-year receivers Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

They continue to grow as the sun sets on Hines Ward's career.

This is the way things are supposed to work. Prepare for the future with smart draft picks, then ease those players in and let them eventually take over.

Santonio Holmes is gone, Ward has moved into a secondary role, but the Steelers can still expect production from their receiving corps.

n Troy Polamalu appeared to be moving better.

His career has become a tightrope act at this point because of his injury history.

It looked like Polamalu was a lot more fluid that he was in the opening game against Baltimore.

This isn't about performance, since the Ravens are far more talented than the Seahawks.

It's just a matter of his physical well-being, and that seemed to be markedly improved on Sunday.

Pitt's move

Pitt's move to the Atlantic Coast Conference will be good for the university, although it's a serious punch to the Big East.

Pitt is leaving a severely crippled conference while it can and looking after its long-term interests.

The move has angered some other administrators, and that's understandable.

The bigger issue is what collegiate athletics have become, corrupted by television money.

Conference jumping has become commonplace. Coaching contracts don't mean much. Some of the biggest schools have serious rules violations.

None of that has had much effect on television ratings or gate receipts, which means we're probably going to stay this rotten course.

At least the pros are honest about how it's all about the money.

Mehno can be reached at johnmehnocolumn@gmail.com.

ramblinjim
09-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Like many, I just don't get Legursky at RG. He's a fair to midland back up center (nothing wrong with this either, we NEED a guy like this on the roster.) and that's really about it.

If we want Legs to play, how about full-back? I mean the guys big and strong, he's just not big enough and strong enough to play O-line every down every game. Put him in at FB, have Redman going behind him and you've suddenly got 550 pounds of beef pounding at the LOS. Late in games, goal line, line'em up and let them beat the h3ll out of people. Split Wallace and Saunders out wide and we have an over the top and voila, you can't put 8 guys in the box.

We've seen this before a couple of times per year, and I think to myself "YES!" and then that's it.

I'm not knocking any of our coaches, I also know this team lives and dies with Big Ben and it's a passing league, yadda yadda yadda but this team needs to be able to close out games better than we have been in recent years. Oh, and score from the 1.