PDA

View Full Version : Ward doesn't see how Steelers are old

fordfixer
09-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Ward doesn't see how Steelers are old
Posted on: September 16, 2011 2:58 pm
by Josh Katzowitz
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/32019446 (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32019446)

While many have wondered how the Steelers will deal with some older players not performing well, especially in the wake of their four-touchdown loss to the Ravens last week, Warren Sapp had no problem giving his honest opinion.

And now that Steelers receiver Hines Ward has had a chance to respond, Ward decided he wouldn’t respond to Sapp in such harsh tones.

On Showtime’s “Inside the NFL” this week, Sapp said, “The Pittsburgh Steelers. I have three things: old, slow and it’s over. It’s just that simple. James Harrison told us that he was 70-to-75 percent. It looked more like 40 percent to me if you are looking at the ballgame I was looking at. And Hines Ward, Mercedes Sapp can cover Hines Ward right now. You have to be kidding me ... Mercedes is my 13-year-old daughter. She will cover Hines Ward in a heartbeat.

"And Troy Polamalu, Ed Dixon runs this crossing route. Troy Polamalu is trying to grab him to have a pass interference and he can’t even get close enough to grab him. [It] looked like he was dragging a wagon behind him. Touchdown Baltimore. Pittsburgh Steelers done."

Mr. Ward, your retort, please?

“I don’t have a reaction to that,” Ward told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsbrugh, via sportsradiointerviews.com. "He can bring his 13-year old daughter out there and see if she can cover me if she wants to. I don’t have a reaction to that. People are always going to say something. As far as the team being old? I don’t see how the team is old. I think I am the oldest guy on the offensive side. Ben Roethlisberger is the second oldest guy on the offensive side. Defensively? You got Aaron Smith, James Farrior and Brett Keisel. We just re-signed some of our youngest guys. If you look at our team, we are not as old as people want to portray us. What does that matter anyway?

“I love Warren. He was my ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ guy before me. It’s his opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is not going to change. There are guys older than me like Brian Dawkins. Donald Driver is older than me. Age doesn’t matter. Age is something for somebody to put out there just to make an excuse.”

Ward also realizes that he's open to criticism, and at this point in his career, he has to be used to it. Even if a former star player is the one making it.

“That’s your job,” Ward said. “That’s what makes news. Your job is to criticize and make stuff. As players we hear it, but it doesn’t validate anything. The Steelers are not going to keep me around if they do not think I am productive. We don’t just keep guys around to just keep guys around. That’s just an excuse when people start looking at the age and that stuff. If you look at our young guys…look at our wide receivers? I’m out there with second and third year guys all the time. Our whole offensive line…we are really not old up front. Rashard Mendenhall is still young and in his prime. When people say stuff like that I just laugh because when they were old one day, somebody said that about them. But now they are in a position to say that. I don’t get caught up in it.”

Pahn711
09-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Warren Sapp has zero credibility. Reality is, Inside the NFL blows and he is a major reason why. The man has no talent for sports broadcasting, they just needed a black guy to replace Cris Carter. Its this kind of extreme jumping to conclusions that the unprofessional clings to.

Its obvious he never liked the Steelers. Anyone else remember the time he skipped along the sideline before a Bucs-Steeler game and Jerome Bettis pushed him away? Point is, hes made a living being annoying and getting under peoples skin.

chiken
09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Nothing wrong with being old - Being Weak, slow and unable to keep up is something else all together.

flippy
09-17-2011, 11:15 AM
How can Hines lose a step he never had in the first place?

Hines' speed is never gonna matter. He's gonna be the same WR that he was 5-10 years ago no matter how old he gets.

The only concern with Hines aging is can he keep himself healthy and injury free. The guy's taking a beating over the years and he plays violent for a WR. Will that continue to work as he ages?

There's gonna be a point where he just can't deal with the nagging injuries. That's when he'll be done. No sooner imho. If he's out there, he can still perform at the same high level he always has.

And Hines never really got separation. His game has always been about running routes and finding soft spots in zones. No reason he can't continue to do that for another 5 years. And with experience he can even be better.

DukieBoy
09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
The season and the video tape will tell how old this team is in football years. Sapp, another attention seeking jealous ex-baller taking head.

feltdizz
09-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Warren Sapp has zero credibility. Reality is, Inside the NFL blows and he is a major reason why. The man has no talent for sports broadcasting, they just needed a black guy to replace Cris Carter. Its this kind of extreme jumping to conclusions that the unprofessional clings to.

Its obvious he never liked the Steelers. Anyone else remember the time he skipped along the sideline before a Bucs-Steeler game and Jerome Bettis pushed him away? Point is, hes made a living being annoying and getting under peoples skin.
They needed another black guy? :Blah

What sport have you been watching for the last 10 years? Whether you like Sapp or not he played the game at a high level. His race has nothing to do with his ability to criticize players on TV. Hines will be doing the same thing in a few years and it won't be because he is half Asian.

feltdizz
09-17-2011, 01:24 PM
The season and the video tape will tell how old this team is in football years. Sapp, another attention seeking jealous ex-baller taking head.

I'm pretty sure Sapp is saying the same things Steeler fans were saying while watching the game.

Hines explained the situation perfectly. Sapp's job is to criticize week to week and we were manhandled 35-7.

Pahn711
09-17-2011, 02:12 PM

What sport have you been watching for the last 10 years? Whether you like Sapp or not he played the game at a high level. His race has nothing to do with his ability to criticize players on TV. Hines will be doing the same thing in a few years and it won't be because he is half Asian.

I'll admit that was a poor choice of words. Its certainly not a black thing, James Brown is good on the show (I also liked Cris Carter on the HBO version). I guess all I'm saying is the guy doesn't hold a candle to Collinsworth or Simms in regards to providing any good insights or comments without making a knee-jerk reaction. And yes, he probably got the job because he has a big mouth.

C'mon, hes gonna definitively state the Steelers are done after just one game? And this guy is a professional who should be taken seriously? :roll:

Pahn711
09-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Exactly :Clap

aggiebones
09-17-2011, 02:53 PM
First, the Steelers may not have a good season this year. Why? It happens. And if it does the most likely reason would be because they had a huge run to the playoffs last year...and lost. That has a wrecking effect on alot of SB losing teams. That and it was an exceptionally long season..again. The Browns play 16 games a season, we play 17-20. With an extra week often between the AFC Championships and the SB. It truly shortens the offseason.

But the reasons this is most ridiculous is that this team just went to the SB 9 months ago. Really that 9 months is gonna make them drop over the edge? They have aged some youngsters as well by that 9 months.
We'll see, but that 9 months will not be the reason that they fail this year if they do.

feltdizz
09-17-2011, 09:21 PM
First, the Steelers may not have a good season this year. Why? It happens. And if it does the most likely reason would be because they had a huge run to the playoffs last year...and lost. That has a wrecking effect on alot of SB losing teams. That and it was an exceptionally long season..again. The Browns play 16 games a season, we play 17-20. With an extra week often between the AFC Championships and the SB. It truly shortens the offseason.

But the reasons this is most ridiculous is that this team just went to the SB 9 months ago. Really that 9 months is gonna make them drop over the edge? They have aged some youngsters as well by that 9 months.
We'll see, but that 9 months will not be the reason that they fail this year if they do.

All true... but A.Smith didn't make the run to the SB last year due to injury and he was abused in the Baltimore game. James was hurt, Troy looked hurt as well...

Anytime you get blown out and commit 7 TO's the talking heads will ask the most obvious question. If we were younger the question would be lack of experience after a loss like that.

feltdizz
09-17-2011, 09:27 PM

I'll admit that was a poor choice of words. Its certainly not a black thing, James Brown is good on the show (I also liked Cris Carter on the HBO version). I guess all I'm saying is the guy doesn't hold a candle to Collinsworth or Simms in regards to providing any good insights or comments without making a knee-jerk reaction. And yes, he probably got the job because he has a big mouth.

C'mon, hes gonna definitively state the Steelers are done after just one game? And this guy is a professional who should be taken seriously? :roll:

Sapp is just a guy sitting in a studio talking.. he does the Roger and Ebert thing for 16 games every week.

he isn't breaking down the play by play during games.

Pahn711
09-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Sapp is just a guy sitting in a studio talking.. he does the Roger and Ebert thing for 16 games every week.

He provided an extremely simplistic view of the Steelers and alluded to their championship years being over based on one game. You would think a guy in his position would be able to keep things in perspective and not overreact over one beatdown.

Sorry but I think the NFL "Roger and Ebert"s should be held to a higher standard than that. Or at least have more evidence to back up their claims first.

Pahn711
09-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Sapp is running his mouth again this week. My question is, how many wins is it gonna take before this piece of trash is exposed and backtracks to save face?

papillon
09-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Sapp is running his mouth again this week. My question is, how many wins is it gonna take before this piece of trash is exposed and backtracks to save face?

I don't know how many wins it will take, but I do know how many games played it will take at a minimum, 19. He's a Steeler hater, like most, so, here's to Sapp. :moon

Pappy

feltdizz
09-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Sapps job is to run his mouth :lol:

Every week these guys make claims off of what they saw on Sunday. Last year after the Texans spanked the Colts they were crowned as early favorites to make a run. These guys get paid to talk.

ikestops85
09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
What did he say this week?

Pahn711
09-22-2011, 01:28 PM

He just reiterated that they are "old, slow, and done" and preceded to trash the Seahawks as well. What bothers me is that he didn't even attempt to lighten up or step back from the outlandish comments he made last week.

He was also wrong about Tony Romo last week, and when Romo suddenly appeared on the show he backed down like a wuss.

Sonny
09-22-2011, 11:28 PM

He just reiterated that they are "old, slow, and done" and preceded to trash the Seahawks as well. What bothers me is that he didn't even attempt to lighten up or step back from the outlandish comments he made last week.

He was also wrong about Tony Romo last week, and when Romo suddenly appeared on the show he backed down like a wuss.Typical. Sounds like whenever Colin Cowherd has a coach, any coach, come on his show. All of a sudden, Colin thinks the coach's team is young, has talent, are on the right track, gonna pull off the upset, etc..

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Typical. Sounds like whenever Colin Cowherd has a coach, any coach, come on his show. All of a sudden, Colin thinks the coach's team is young, has talent, are on the right track, gonna pull off the upset, etc..

Exactly, they should have Harrison or someone else on D on the show next week and see if he sticks to his guns.

hawaiiansteel
09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Steelers Still Have Lots To Prove

AUTHOR: Adam
SEP 23rd, 2011

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2011/09/steelers-offensive-line-300x248.jpg

There have been so many changes so frequently, I can't even find an updated pic of the Steelers' Offensive Line

Last Sunday there wasn’t a lot to be disappointed with. The Seahawks came to Pittsburgh and the Steelers responded to week one’s disaster by shutting out their opponent. All that being said, the Seahawks are a disaster of a team, and not much can be read into this win. Based on the way the Seahawks played, that score should have been 45-0, not 24-0. The total domination of an opponent was a fun thing to watch as a fan, but this really doesn’t tell us what kind of shape the Steelers are in right now. Are they a top-tier team after being blown out by the Ravens and then beating the Seahawks, or are they just middle of the road? Are they too old to compete with the really hot teams in the league right now?

Short answer is, we don’t know. There is simply not enough evidence to tell whether the Steelers will be able to compete at a really high level this season. A shutout does great for confidence levels of the team, but after “being humbled” the way we were against the Ravens, I am going to need to see more than a win against the hapless Seahawks before I start chanting “I got a feelin.” The Steelers still have lots to prove. One of the most important areas upon which the Steelers will need to improve if they want to be competitive, is the offensive line.

I’m I can’t really put in to words just how bad our offensive line is. Ask any great football mind and they will tell you that the #1 thing an offensive line needs is continuity in order to be successful. The Center needs to be able to trust his tackles, and the other guys on the line and so on. If they can’t trust each other, defenses will destroy our offensive line. This year alone the Steelers’ offensive line has undergone major changes from game to game, not to mention the changes from last year to this year. The most important thing that the Steelers can do right now is just leave the same guys in and let them build up somewhat of a unit.

Even an offensive line with suspect individual skills and or experience can function on at least a mediocre level if given the opportunity to get used to playing with one other. Trust on the offensive line means Roethlisberger will begin to trust the line and stand in the pocket longer, make more accurate throws, and even have more time to throw the ball to the proper spot on the field. One of the things that I have noticed with Roethlisberger’s playing thus far this season is his sometimes crazy inaccuracy when throwing the ball. There are times when Ben will hit a hot streak and complete seven or eight passes in a row, but will then sky a ball to Heath by ten yards and it will be picked (or nearly picked) by the opposing team.

Why does this happen? Well, when your offensive line can’t even hold a block for a second, or two seconds, you are forced to either throw the ball on the run, or throw the ball in a hurry (or both), causing those throws to be inaccurate. There was a screen pass Sunday where Ben literally took one step back from the line and threw the ball to Mike Wallace and was hit by the opposing team. The Offensive line is SO bad they can’t even hold a block long enough for Ben to throw a screen pass. A SCREEN PASS! Seriously, this is a big problem.

But, there is an upside. Now that is seems that the players in there won’t be getting injured every other week, this line may actually have a chance to build something up. Gilbert will continue to develop in the starting roll, as will Legursky, and if Pouncey can continue to be a great leader at Center, Big Ben may have a chance to take a shot down the field every now and then, and maybe even do it from the center of the pocket.

If that doesn’t start to happen, or the Steelers don’t do something to MAKE that happen, we’re going to be seeing Batch or Dixon in there a lot more than we’d like. Big Ben will continue to get hit with increasing frequency and his season and/or career will be over before we know it. Even Ben isn’t immune to an a$$ beating.

So. Where do we go from here? Well, we come out and kick Indy’s a$$ the same way we beat up on the Seahawks. In fact, we should beat Indy even worse. These are two incredibly bad teams in a row, so I suppose you can expect a similar article from me next week. The Steelers still have so much to prove, and until they beat a good team convincingly (ie Ravens, Patriots etc) I’m not going to be much of a believer in the longevity of this team/season. In my opinion, that all starts and ends with the O line.

The run game will not work without a competent O line, and Ben won’t be able to throw to this scary core of wide outs either. The defense has their own set of issues, but coming off of a shutout, I’ll save it for another article.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/09/23/st ... -to-prove/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/09/23/steelers-still-have-lots-to-prove/)