PDA

View Full Version : Kemo and McFadden Questionable for Week 2

phillyesq
09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
SteelersDigest Steelers Digest
Injury report: WR Cotchery (hamstring) is out; G Kemoeatu (knee) and CB McFadden (hamstring) are questionable.

McFadden isn't too concerning, especially since this week, without Rice, the Seahawks don't really seem to have much in the way of receivers.

Kemo, on the other hand, could leave an already shaky line in even worse shape. Especially after what seemed to be communication issues last week, I'd rather not see the line break in 2 new starters this week.

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 03:01 PM
SteelersDigest Steelers Digest
Injury report: WR Cotchery (hamstring) is out; G Kemoeatu (knee) and CB McFadden (hamstring) are questionable.

McFadden isn't too concerning, especially since this week, without Rice, the Seahawks don't really seem to have much in the way of receivers.

Kemo, on the other hand, could leave an already shaky line in even worse shape. Especially after what seemed to be communication issues last week, I'd rather not see the line break in 2 new starters this week.

BMac seems to be constantly injured.

Kemo has had to get his knee drained a couple of times already, there's no sense in putting him out there with bad wheels. start Foster and Essux can backup the C,G and OT positions while C Scott gets his chance to suit up for the first time.

steelfin
09-16-2011, 11:04 PM
BMAC needs to go...he has been hurt way too much. I would rather see us develop some younger CBs....but I guess that is going to happen if he is sitting on the pine injured for the majority of the season.

Its just too bad we let Butler go....

fordfixer
09-17-2011, 01:40 AM
Steelers cornerback McFadden feeling way
By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 17, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 57284.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_757284.html)

It's been a frustrating season for Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden, who limped through the preseason before working his way into the lineup for last Sunday's season-opener at Baltimore.

Still, McFadden isn't at full strength. He practiced only sparingly Friday in preparation for Sunday's home-opener against Seattle at Heinz Field.

McFadden is listed as questionable with a hamstring injury and saw limited duty yesterday. There's a chance the seven-year veteran could be scratched from the lineup in favor of backups Keenan Lewis or William Gay.

"I was just practicing, so I don't know whether I was on the first or second team," said Lewis, in his third season. "I'll be ready because I've been preparing all week."

While McFadden didn't appear to labor as he headed toward the trainer's room, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau distributed reps almost evenly this week, working both Lewis and Gay.

McFadden remains optimistic.

"I feel pretty good, but I'm not back in the groove yet," McFadden said. "It was good getting the blood flowing and getting the real-game feeling last week.

"It was frustrating not being able to compete. I missed a lot of reps and practice time, but I was trying to stay in tune mentally."

McFadden, who missed the entire preseason with a groin injury, has been plagued by nagging injuries the past two seasons — including a right pectoral muscle injury during last year's preseason. He sustained a hip injury in the first quarter of Super Bowl XLV.

"(McFadden) is a veteran football player who understands that injuries are as much a part of the game as blocking and tackling," said coach Mike Tomlin. "He's dealt with the injuries in the past, and I didn't have any concerns about letting him play against Baltimore."

The Steelers' secondary is likely to catch a break against the Seahawks, who were largely inept offensively in a 33-17 loss to San Francisco. Seattle amassed 219 yards from scrimmage, including 197 yards passing from quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who had an efficiency rating of 78.3.

"(Jackson) has been banged around a bit, but he's been hanging tough," said Seattle coach Pete Carroll. "He's been very effective when we've given him time to throw the football."

The Steelers are confident they can pressure Jackson. If the Seahawks can't get a spark from a running game that averaged 2.9 yards per carry against San Francisco, Jackson will have no choice but to air it out.

The Steelers' cornerbacks might not be pressed in man coverage against the Seattle receiving corps — including Mike Williams and Doug Baldwin, who caught a 55-yard touchdown pass last week — but McFadden suggested the secondary will be criticized no matter how it performs.

"We've had a lot of success with pretty much the same guys in the secondary," McFadden said. "I guess a lot of blame goes on the secondary, and that's the case with a lot of teams."

The entire defense took the blame for the 35-7 loss to Baltimore.

"I don't care how people characterize parts of this team and things of that nature -- that's not my business," Tomlin said. "We are a work in progress based on the video evidence we put out there last Sunday."

Read more: Steelers cornerback McFadden feeling way - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1YBYy96JG (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_757284.html#ixzz1YBYy96JG)

Discipline of Steel
09-17-2011, 10:11 AM
If Kemo is damaged goods all season, we need more offensive linemen. Who is out there at guard/center? I mean, Essux is our primary back-up? Dammit.

papillon
09-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I kind of hope McFadden can't go and Lewis, Allen or Brown get an opportunity to play. I can't see the Steelers hiding this secondary all season. Maybe a younger guy makes mental mistakes, but he may also have the athletic ability to fix it, where I don't believe Gay or McFadden have the physical gifts to make up for mistakes athletically.

I'd love to see what the Steelers have in their young corners. The Steelers know the ceiling for Gay and McFadden and they're have reached it.

Pappy

flippy
09-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Could be a good chance for Cortez and Curtis to get some PT.

fezziwig
09-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I kind of hope McFadden can't go and Lewis, Allen or Brown get an opportunity to play. I can't see the Steelers hiding this secondary all season. Maybe a younger guy makes mental mistakes, but he may also have the athletic ability to fix it, where I don't believe Gay or McFadden have the physical gifts to make up for mistakes athletically.

I'd love to see what the Steelers have in their young corners. The Steelers know the ceiling for Gay and McFadden and they're have reached it.

Pappy

:Clap :Clap

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Pappy

If anything, it would some good on-the-job experience against some underwhelming passing offenses lead by Tarvaris Jackson and Kerry Collins over the next two weeks, before the true test against the passing attack of Schaub, Johnson, Daniels, etc. in early October.

DukieBoy
09-17-2011, 12:34 PM
They were questionable for week 1 ... what's changed?

Seriously, we have to depend on Kemo more than I wish we depend on him. Opportunity looming for a young DB to shine their way into regular PT, kind of liking that.

Pahn711
09-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm more concerned/interested in seeing Cotchery play. He might end up having a bigger impact on the offense then we anticipate.

fezziwig
09-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Wouldn't that be sad that our hopes hang on an injured guy that wasn't even with the team until this season.

skyhawk
09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
How can it be that THE Pittsburgh Steelers have such a terrible line and backups?

It has been a major blunder of management lately.

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Skyhawk, you 've asked the $64,000.00 question and other than the front office or coaches, I doubt anyone really could answer that. The Steeler org might give lip service with an answer but, there is no excuse for not addressing the situation.
I believe they are sucked up into their own hype that we manage to do well with the guys they plug in but, I would like to see this offense perform with Ben being protected and an offensive line that could dictate somewhat.