PDA

View Full Version : Farrior: 'I'm not going out easy'

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 12:19 AM
'I'm not going out easy'

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 16, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-09-15/0916stfarrior-a.jpg

Steelers linebacker James Farrior found himself playing less against the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

James Farrior is the mortar of a usually brick-solid Steelers defense.

As the 36-year-old linebacker paced the sideline with his helmet dangling at his side Sunday, the defending AFC champions' defense looked like a soft mix of sand and water. It was vulnerable against a revenge-minded, physical Baltimore offense.

Farrior walked slowly onto the field at M&T Bank Stadium during a timeout to offer advice and encouragement to backup linebacker Larry Foote as the Ravens marched methodically downfield during a flawless, 12-play, 84-yard scoring drive.

It was an unusual situation for Farrior, who watched from the sideline during Baltimore's last three first-half possessions. He wasn't hurt, and he didn't ask for a breather.

"We made a commitment that both men (Farrior and Foote) were going to play," said coach Mike Tomlin after a humbling 35-7 season-opening defeat.

But Farrior's extended stay on the bench was curious, if not reflective of the fact that 15 years in the NFL has given Tomlin cause to save Farrior's body, even early in the season.

"We have to keep guys somewhat fresh when you can and take care of guys so they can make it through the season," said defensive end Aaron Smith, a 13-year veteran. "This is a marathon."

Farrior, though, isn't ready to be treated like a washed-up pitcher. He insisted throughout this week he'll be ready to go the distance when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks at Heinz Field on Sunday.

"I don't know if I've saved my body, but I do think I've been really lucky," said Farrior, who had five tackles against Baltimore. "I've been blessed not to have any major injuries or have anything to hamper my play."

Farrior admittedly was a little sore earlier this week. He sat out Wednesday's practice.

"You always know you're going to be sore after the Baltimore game," Farrior said. "I'm used to that."

The Steelers, it seems, are preparing for a transition at linebacker. It's an undeniable reality.

"Our time is coming," receiver Hines Ward said. "(Farrior) is not going to grope about things. You can either complain or dwell about it or accept the role and move on."

Farrior is being pursued by the clock. And linebacker James Harrison is soldiering on despite two offseason back surgeries and a minor knee injury sustained during the opener.

Foote, Stevenson Sylvester and Jason Worilds will have their chances if Tomlin commits to a similar substitution pattern throughout the season.

"They are always looking for some younger and faster guy to replace you," said Farrior, who in 2008 signed a four-year contract extension through next season. "That's the way of the league. We understand that part of the business, but I'm not going out easy.

"It's been a long road, but it seems like it's going fast. I contribute my longevity to my offseason training. I do everything possible to be in the best shape."

The Steelers clearly are trying to reshape and infuse youth on an aging defense. The Steelers have eight defensive starters 30 or older -- including Farrior, Harrison, Smith, strong safety Troy Polamalu and free safety Ryan Clark.

"I'm trying to find the same fountain of youth that (Farrior) has found," said Clark, in his 10th season. "James is still making the same plays he's been making for years. We started rotating Larry Foote early last year, but even then James wasn't thinking about retirement."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Y4uDjP3s (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_757031.html#ixzz1Y4uDjP3s)

insanesteelersfan
09-16-2011, 12:25 AM
His Heart is willing, but his Body is clearly not there any longer. He showed signs of this late last season when his play fell off. Easy or Hrd, the guy needs to go, cause he is done.

Steelerphile
09-16-2011, 07:58 AM
This is the main problem with turning over the defense and getting younger. Guys like Farrior and Smith have vowed to never retire, and the Steelers think highly enough of them for their character and what they have done in their careers, that they don't have the heart to cut them.

The Steelers are too soft-hearted in this regard. ProFootball is a tough business. Somebody has to be the meanie and tell them they are done.

Jooser
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
His Heart is willing, but his Body is clearly not there any longer. He showed signs of this late last season when his play fell off. Easy or Hrd, the guy needs to go, cause he is done.

I'm Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs! :lol:

Pahn711
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM

The man had 6 sacks and over 100 tackles last year. You are insane. :Blah

Now I'm not saying its impossible that age is starting to get the best of him now, but lets see some actual proof of that before we jump to conclusions.

And if the Steelers were truly "softies" when it came to letting go of players past their prime, its hard to believe they would have had the success they have enjoyed the last 10 years. I mean, I'm sure they thought well of Joey Porter and Clark Haggans even though they were both let go.

Djfan
09-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Now I'm not saying its impossible that age is starting to get the best of him now, but lets see some actual proof of that before we jump to conclusions.

And if the Steelers were truly "softies" when it came to letting go of players past their prime, its hard to believe they would have had the success they have enjoyed the last 10 years. I mean, I'm sure they thought well of Joey Porter and Clark Haggans even though they were both let go.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Plus, he is very smart and a great leader.

feltdizz
09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't understand the criticism Farrior gets... I could see if he was injured the last 3 years and missed a ton of playing time but he is a solid LB.

phillyesq
09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't understand the criticism Farrior gets... I could see if he was injured the last 3 years and missed a ton of playing time but he is a solid LB.

:Agree

He had a bit of a down year in 2009, but he rebounded well and had a very nice year last year.

skyhawk
09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
The D totally SUCKED when he was out of the game against the Ravens.

The lack of his playmaking ability and his ability to call the proper defenses was glaring.

DukieBoy
09-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Truth, Pahn. :Clap

Steelerphile
09-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I'll leave Farrior alone. He had a surprisingly good 2010 and this is just game one. He has been basically injury free. When the defense starts looking "old and slow," I guess I naturally look at the oldest player on defense, who is Farrior.

It would be unreal if he could still play at a high level at the age of 36. So few linebackers do. I still think it is a danger for the Steelers to keep thinking they can squeeze one more year out of all of the aging players they have.

I don't think cutting players like Haggans and Porter compare to cutting Smith or Farrior. Haggan was never considered that great and Porter was a bit of a loose cannon. He was popular with teammates, but probably not so much with management.

Pahn711
09-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't think cutting players like Haggans and Porter compare to cutting Smith or Farrior. Haggan was never considered that great and Porter was a bit of a loose cannon. He was popular with teammates, but probably not so much with management.

Well, its hard to make a straight-up comparison to Smith and Farrior. My point was the Steelers had been very successful with those two at outside linebacker in Superbowl XL. That they were able to make a proper judgement call and go with Harrison and Woodley proves they know what they are doing. If the Steelers felt they had better players waiting to replace Smith and Farrior, I have every confidence they would do so. I don't think Foote is an upgrade over Farrior, and while Ziggy Hood seems ready, they must still feel Smith has more to offer.

My prediction, they will draft a middle linebacker in the early rounds next year.

Shoe
09-16-2011, 10:29 PM
But it is a smart thing to keep old guys fresh. I've come to this realization, as I get older. The long grind of a season is just something that older guys can't do like they used to. But they (including Farrior) can still play. I thought about this last couple years with Favre. I beleive that if they gave him the first month off, he would be much fresher when it matters. (This theory really would've worked well in '09, not as much last year.) But I think it still rings true. For old guys, you have to be judicious, and not just trot them out game after game like they're 25. You have to make concessions for age.

chiken
09-16-2011, 11:20 PM
I dont think keeping a guy "fresh" means Taking him out for 2 consecutive series in the first half of a game (one of the series being a 12 play drive at that)
Seems to me that somebody is lying to somebody.

NorthCoast
09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I dont think keeping a guy "fresh" means Taking him out for 2 consecutive series in the first half of a game (one of the series being a 12 play drive at that)

No conspiracy here. If there was a thought it was time for Farrior's replacement to step up, then they got their answer....he's not ready.

Plays will get made against Farrior but look at the alternative, many more plays get made when he is not in the game.

papillon
09-17-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm not going out easy.

And, in the end I hope this thought process by Farrior, Smith and other veterans isn't what ends the season early...I don't have a good feeling about what I've been hearing, reading and seeing (Ravens game)...let's see what happens over the next 3 weeks.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2011, 11:13 AM

No conspiracy here. If there was a thought it was time for Farrior's replacement to step up, then they got their answer....he's not ready.

Plays will get made against Farrior but look at the alternative, many more plays get made when he is not in the game.

If their concern was whether it was time for Farrior's replacement to step up, then they would have inserted Sylester, not Foote. We already know what we have in Foote.