PDA

View Full Version : Ben: No-huddle offense likely to return vs Seattle

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Roethlisberger: No-huddle offense likely to make comeback vs. Seattle

Thursday, September 15, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201109/pd03steelers091111_500.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger experienced a rough day Sunday in Baltimore, one of the worst in his eight seasons with the Steelers. Even a broken nose his previous visit there felt better.

He tossed three interceptions and lost two fumbles, not counting another fumble on a botched handoff exchange with halfback Rashard Mendenhall. The Ravens sacked him four times for good measure as the Steelers absorbed a 35-7 thumping.

Roethlisberger had only five interceptions in the regular season last year. He has thrown seven in his past three games, counting the Super Bowl and AFC championship.

"I was talking to coach LeBeau, and we used our mulligan on the first tee," Roethlisberger said. "We take our penalty stroke and we have 17 more holes to birdie.

"We just didn't come together, and I didn't play well. I think we're all entitled to a bad day now and then, and we move on."

One thing Roethlisberger promised to change against the Seattle Seahawks is the use of the no-huddle offense. The Steelers did not show it in Baltimore; they will Sunday in Heinz Field, he vowed.

"Yeah, I'll make sure of that. We need to. We didn't do it at all the last game. We kind of throw a lot of things out the window when you're getting killed like that. I know people are probably making a big deal that we didn't run the ball enough. I think we'll see [the no-huddle] this week."

Chop talk

Casey Hampton did not complain, but he did confirm what his teammates had been saying -- that Baltimore targeted the Steelers Pro Bowl nose tackle with illegal chop blocks for much of the game Sunday.

An illegal chop block occurs when an offensive player engages a defensive player -- blocking him, usually straight up -- while another offensive player comes in to block the defensive player below the waist.

It is considered one of the most dangerous blocks, which is why it has been illegal for a long time. A defensive player's knees are more vulnerable to severe injury in such a double-team.

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons blew the whistle on the Ravens Tuesday night on his WDVE radio show, and Hampton and linebacker James Farrior confirmed it. Hampton said Baltimore center Matt Birk and the Ravens' two guards, Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda, were using the illegal blocks all day. He said he did not complain to the officials about it.

"It is what it is, I don't cry about stuff like that," Hampton said.

"They were doing it a lot or trying to do it a lot. At times, I got out of it. It's kind of tough when you're engaged with a guy, and you're not even worried about the guard and they come and just chop your legs out. That's kind of tough. There's nothing you can do about that."

No penalties were called on the Ravens for illegal chop blocks.

"They were doing it all day," said Farrior, the Steelers defensive captain. "That's pretty bad."

Whatever the Ravens did legally or illegally, it was effective. Ray Rice became the first back in 18 games to top 100 yards against the Steelers with 107, and the Ravens piled up 170 yards rushing on a defense that was No. 1 against the run last season.

Those 170 yards were 15 more than the Steelers allowed in three postseason games in 2010. They led the league last season by allowing 62.8 yards rushing per game, the third fewest since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger.

Some messages for Gilbert

Jeffrey Gilbert is a retired secret service agent. Among his final jobs before retiring was to protect presidential candidate Barack Obama. Steelers fans might think Jeffrey's son, Marcus, has an important new job as well, protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Marcus Gilbert, a rookie second-round draft pick from the University of Florida, practiced with the first team at right tackle for the first time Wednesday. He will replace Willie Colon, who was placed on injured reserve after surgery to repair his torn triceps Tuesday.

"Whatever the game plan is, I'm going to run with it," Gilbert said. "It feels really good running with the first team."

Gilbert, who responded to a stern talk by former Gators teammate Maurkice Pouncey after he reported to training camp overweight and out of shape, heard two more this week. One came again from Pouncey; the other from Roethlisberger.

The quarterback said they will change nothing on offense because the rookie will play right tackle, make nothing simpler. It's sink or swim for Gilbert.

"I told him on Monday, 'Listen, not only do you need to learn this offense, you better have the no-huddle down pat because we're going to do it and I'm not slowing down for you.' I have confidence he'll be ready to go."

Gilbert reported to training camp at 348 pounds and missed about a week with a hamstring injury. Pouncey told him he better shape up.

"I basically told him it's a lot different than college now, you're not getting pampered all the time, you have to go in here and be accountable for all that you do."

Gilbert's hamstring healed, he lost 15 pounds and showed his coaches he could play. It is a reason they did not pursue Flozell Adams after Colon's injury, although they did take a brief call from his agent, Jordan Woy. Gilbert, who said he stands closer to 6 feet 7 than his listed 6-6, said he weighs 333 now.

Quick hits

Without fanfare, the Steelers waived WR Limas Sweed off their injured list this week without giving him an injury settlement. The team announced Aug. 17 that they released and placed Sweed on the waived/injured list. When he cleared waivers, they were required to keep him on their injured reserve until his shoulder healed. ... Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), who missed the opener, did not practice Wednesday. Neither did offensive left guard Chris Kemoeatu, who had his left knee drained of fluid and is expected to practice Thursday. ... Cornerbacks Bryant McFadden (hamstring) and rookie Curtis Brown (ankle) were limited in practice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11258/11 ... z1Y3DC4WgA (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11258/1174836-66.stm#ixzz1Y3DC4WgA)

insanesteelersfan
09-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I'll believe that when I see it. I hear this spewing from the coaches and Ben for YEARS now. And we have run it LESS then 1/10th of 1 percent of our total snaps.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Gilbert's hamstring healed, he lost 15 pounds and showed his coaches he could play. It is a reason they did not pursue Flozell Adams after Colon's injury, although they did take a brief call from his agent, Jordan Woy. Gilbert, who said he stands closer to 6 feet 7 than his listed 6-6, said he weighs 333 now.

There is one interesting letter in this paragraph. The letter "t" as opposed to the letter "m"...they did Take a brief call from Adams' agent, not they did Make a brief call to Adams' agent. Flozell's people were calling us, looking for Colon's RT job, not the other way around. As George Costanza once said..."We've got hand!" :wink:

NorthCoast
09-15-2011, 08:15 PM
blah, blah, blaah, we hear about the no-huddle every pre-season, then game time, nothing. I am convinced they throw these statements out there just to rattle the opponent.

BTW, somebody called for more WR slants and motion to take advantage of speed....I am convinced Ben can't or doesnt want to throw slants either....

(sorry, somebody sh!t in my wheaties today...)

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Offense comes down with amnesia

Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/7b/17b5e92c-e8f3-567b-b4ac-c2abee193a83/4e715301cc6dc.preview-300.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered one of the worst losses in his eight-year career last week in Baltimore.

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger has memory loss.

When asked what happened to the Steelers' offense in the season opener, he couldn't remember.

"I forgot about that game," he said. "I forgot about it. Sorry."

Really, Roethlisberger didn't forget about the poor offensive performance in the 35-7 loss to the Ravens. He just doesn't want to relive it. Plus, it was so pathetic that there wasn't even much to gain by reviewing videotape of it.

If ever there was a time to invoke the 24-hour rule -- one day to celebrate or lament a loss -- it was after this debacle.

What's most frustrating about the dud in Baltimore is that expectations are so high for the Pittsburgh offense this season.

"We have all this talent this season," Roethlisberger said halfway through training camp. "We can be as good as we want to be."

Well, here's how good the Steelers are offensively after one week:

* Roethlisberger's quarterback rating is a lowly 51.9. He ranks 31st in the NFL.

* Roethlisberger leads the league with three interceptions.

* The Steelers are tied with the Colts and Chiefs for last in scoring offense.

* The Steelers lead the league with seven turnovers.

* The Steelers rank 25th in rushing after gaining 66 yards. A year ago, the Steelers ranked 11th with a 120.2 yards per game average.

"They're a good team. I said that after the game," Roethlisberger said of the Ravens' defense. "They disrupted us."

Usually when a team struggles offensively, it starts up front. That was the case Sunday in Baltimore.

For starters, the Steelers' offensive line was beaten convincingly from a physical standpoint. That was especially true when it came to blocking defensive tackle Haloti Ngata.

Secondly, the O-line had a difficult time communicating. At times, confusion reigned. At times, Steelers' linemen simply failed to understand who they had to block. There were some major missed assignments. The most obvious example was Ngata's hit on running back Rashard Mendenhall on the first snap from scrimmage in the third quarter.

Ngata's jarring tackle forced a fumble the Ravens recovered and turned into a touchdown that gave them a 28-7 lead.

"I don't know, man. I don't know what happened," center Maurkice Pouncey said of Ngata's bone-crunching hit on Mendenhall.

"It was very loud in that place," Roethlisberger said when asked about the communication breakdowns. "I've always said that's one of the toughest place to play because it' so loud."

Roethlisberger was quick to point out that because the Ravens jumped out to a 14-0 first-quarter lead and because of the deafening crowd noise, he was never able to run the no-huddle offense he likes so much.

But he promises to go no-huddle early this week when the Steelers host the Seahawks at Heinz Field. Even with rookie Marcus Gilbert making his first pro start in place of injured Willie Colon, Roethisberger says the 'O' will go.

"We used our mulligan on the first tee. We took our penalty stroke," Roethlisberger said. "We've got 17 more holes to birdie.

"There is no panic from this group. We know we had a bad day. We didn't play well. I in particular didn't play well. But we're all entitled to a bad day now and then. So we'll just move on. That game's already in the rear view mirror."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 147d7.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/offense-comes-down-with-amnesia/article_759750d0-d703-56cd-a495-85d13c6147d7.html)

feltdizz
09-16-2011, 08:03 AM
blah, blah, blaah, we hear about the no-huddle every pre-season, then game time, nothing. I am convinced they throw these statements out there just to rattle the opponent.

BTW, somebody called for more WR slants and motion to take advantage of speed....I am convinced Ben can't or doesnt want to throw slants either....

(sorry, somebody sh!t in my wheaties today...)

is the no huddle even necessary vs Seattle?

Steelers>NFL
09-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Even if it is true that they plan to run the no-huddle offense this week against Seattle
(which I do not believe it), then why would you advertise this and tip off
your opponent? :HeadBanger

feltdizz
09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Even if it is true that they plan to run the no-huddle offense this week against Seattle
(which I do not believe it), then why would you advertise this and tip off
your opponent? :HeadBanger

I doubt they will run it. What's the point anyways? Every time we lose a game to Baltimore we talk about how we should have went no huddle.

The whole "Gilbert better be ready" is crazy talk. Ben better be ready... no need to defeat ourselves by asking our rookie RT to do it all in his first game.

steelblood
09-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Why are some angry about the no huddle? It has worked in the past. Ben loves it. It has won games for us. This crap that we never use it is total bunk. If you believe that, you are not watching the games very closely. It is a good thing. Sometimes it doesn't work, but quite often it does.

Steelers>NFL
09-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Why are some angry about the no huddle? It has worked in the past. Ben loves it. It has won games for us. This crap that we never use it is total bunk. If you believe that, you are not watching the games very closely. It is a good thing. Sometimes it doesn't work, but quite often it does.

They did try the no-huddle against the Ravens. But when you let the clock run all the way down to under 10 seconds before you snap the ball, then this is not a no-huddle.
Get to the los, set and hike the ball. Quit wasting time...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-16-2011, 01:22 PM

They did try the no-huddle against the Ravens. But when you let the clock run all the way down to under 10 seconds before you snap the ball, then this is not a no-huddle.
Get to the los, set and hike the ball. Quit wasting time...
$$$$$$$$

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Steelers Team Report

Yahoo! Sports
Sep 15, 2011

INSIDE SLANT

Too old, too slow, it’s over? That’s what Warren Sapp said about the Steelers’ defense on the NFL Network after Pittsburgh was pummeled in Baltimore, 35-7, last Sunday.

They hope to show this Sunday that there’s still life left in D!ck LeBeau’s defense.

“I wouldn’t be here if I thought he was right,” said defensive end Aaron Smith(notes), 35. “I’d be at home.”

The Steelers start eight players on defense in their 30s, the same eight who started last season. They’ve been together for a number of years and led the NFL last season with fewest points allowed and had the third-stingiest rush defense since the 1970 NFL merger, allowing just 62.8 yards per game.

However, Baltimore rushed for 170 yards and a 5.5-yard average per carry, and the Ravens’ Joe Flacco threw for another 215 yards net.

“They’ve been saying that for four or five years about our defense,” said LeBeau, 74. “It’s like the guy who got up and said this could be the last day of my life. Sooner or later you’re going to be right.

“I wouldn’t kick any dirt on us. We’ll be back. We’ll be back.”

• Ben Roethlisberger promised that the Seattle Seahawks will see Pittsburgh’s no-huddle offense Sunday, something that never appeared in the Steelers’ 35-7 loss in Baltimore to open the season.

“I’ll make sure of that,” Roethlisberger vowed. “We need to. We didn’t do it at all the last game. We kind of threw a lot of things out the window when you’re getting killed like that I think we’ll see it this week.”

Roethlisberger threw three interceptions, lost two fumbles on sacks and the Steelers committed seven turnovers in Baltimore. He and they say they no longer think about that. They have been established as 14 1/2-point favorites to beat the Seahawks in Heinz Field.

“I was talking to coach LeBeau and we used our mulligan on the first tee,” Roethlisberger, an avid golfer, said. “We take our penalty stroke and we have 17 more holes to birdie.

“There is no panic coming from this group. We know that we had a bad day. I hate to take anything away from Baltimore, but we had a bad day. We didn’t play well. I particularly didn’t play well at all.”

Roethlisberger, who missed the first four games of 2010 while serving a suspension, said he never felt better the week before the game against Baltimore and could not explain it—and did not try.

He said, “We just didn’t come together and I didn’t play well. I think we’re all entitled to a bad day now and then and we move on.”

Even though the Steelers had won their eight previous openers, they have a history of rebounding after laying eggs in their first regular-season games. New England trashed them 30-14 in 2002 and the Steelers won their division with a 10-5-1 record.

Jacksonville whipped them 21-3 in 2001 and they finished with the best record in the AFC at 13-3. In 1997, Dallas beat them 37-7 and the Steelers went 11-5 and hosted the AFC Championship Game.

“It was one game, one game,” Hines Ward said of the opening loss. “It was not the Super Bowl. One game and we have to move on. They outplayed us. You turn the ball over seven times, tell me what team turns the ball over seven times and won the game. It was totally uncharacteristic.”

Series History: 16th regular-season meeting. Seahawks lead series 8-7, but the Steelers own them in Pittsburgh, where they are 6-2. The Steelers also won the biggest game between the two, Super Bowl XL in Detroit, 21-10. Originally, the Steelers were supposed to play this game in Seattle but the NFL tweaked the schedule so as to minimize the number of West Coast trips a team would make in the same year. The Steelers shut out the Seahawks, 21-0, in their last meeting, 2007 at Heinz Field.

NOTES, QUOTES

• Troy Polamalu suggested the Steelers needed the dose of humility that a 35-7 loss can bring, but his coach disagreed with him.

“I sure hope we didn’t need that,” Mike Tomlin said. “I hope we don’t need too much more of that. I don’t know if we could stand it if we did.”

• The Steelers have phenomenal success against NFC teams, whom they’ve beaten in 23 of their past 28 games, starting in 2003. They have won five straight at home vs. the NFC.

• The Steelers rank 30th in the NFL against the run after one game. Last year, they not only led the NFL, they allowed the third-fewest rushing yards per game since the 1970 NFL merger, 62.8.

• OT Willie Colon, whose season ended after one game because of a torn triceps, missed all of 2010 with a torn Achilles. Colon was a groomsman in the wedding of Ben Roethlisberger, one of his closer friends.

“He was probably playing his best football right now,” Roethlisberger said. “I know how hard he worked to get back from the Achilles. I saw him (after surgery, Tuesday). He seemed to be in good spirits, which is a good thing, all things considered.”

By The Numbers: 155—Yards the Steelers allowed in three post-season games in 2010, 15 fewer than they gave up in their opener in Baltimore.

Quote To Note:

“There is a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes. Obviously last weekend we were grape squashers.”—Coach Mike Tomlin on his team’s 35-7 opening loss in Baltimore.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Steelers placed starting right tackle Willie Colon on injured reserve after he had surgery Tuesday to repair torn triceps in his right arm. They signed Jamon Meredith(notes) to replace him on the roster. He was released by the New York Giants Sept. 3. Rookie Marcus Gilbert(notes) will replace him as the starter.

Player Notes

• QB Ben Roethlisberger had his worst day losing the football last Sunday—he had five turnovers, three interceptions and two lost fumbles.

—wr A ntonio Brown was a favorite target in the passing game vs. the Ravens. Ben Roethlisberger threw nine passes his way, but they connected on just two for 14 yards.

• P Daniel Sepulveda was cited by coach Mike Tomlin as the only bright spot from the opening game. Sepulveda, who tore his ACL Dec. 5, averaged 52.8 yards on four punts, a 47.8 net with two inside the 20.

• ILB Lawrence Timmons leads the Steelers with 10 tackles but not because he played well in the opener. He had to chase down several receivers who caught the ball over him.

• DE Brett Keisel leads the Steelers with three quarterback hurries. The rest of the defense has two.

Injury Impact

• QB Bryant McFadden (hamstring) went through what was described as a limited practice Thursday, but it’s possible he may not play Sunday.

• WR Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring) did not practice and likely will miss his second straight game. He is the No. 5 wide receiver.

• G Chris Kemoeatu (knee) did not practice on Wednesday because he had his left knee drained. He said he would practice Thursday.

• LB James Harrison, who left Sunday’s game in Baltimore with a bruised knee, has been deemed OK by coach Mike Tomlin and he went through a full practice on Wednesday.

Game Plan: The Steelers hope to run the ball on Seattle but will go to the no-huddle on offense, a promise Ben Roethlisberger made on Wednesday after not using the hurry-up in Baltimore. On defense, they believe the Seahawks will try to run on them as the Ravens did and hit some short passes. They also are wary of Tarvaris Jackson’s ability to run. There won’t be much cover-2 played by them this week.

Matchups To Watch: Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch(notes) vs. Steelers run defense. Pittsburgh’s famous run defense, which led the league last season, was shredded by Ray Rice (107 yards) and the Ravens (170) runners.

• Seahawks LT Russell Okung vs. Steelers OLB James Harrison. Harrison, an All Pro, did not sniff QB Joe Flacco last week. There remain questions about his strength and endurance.

• Seahawks LDE Chris Clemons vs. Steelers rookie RT Marcus Gilbert. Pittsburgh’s second-round pick makes his first start for injured Willie Colon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... 11-nfl-pit (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2011-nfl-pit)

feltdizz
09-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry Ben, no huddle next game doesn't help the last game.

Everytime we lose the no huddle comes up in conversation.

What's the point of the no huddle vs Seattle? How about breaking the huddle and snapping the ball before the play clock is at zero?

Nothing we do this week will make up for last week. Fix the little things and bring out the no huddle vs Baltimore in the 2nd game. No reason to go no huddle vs Seattle unless we plan on going no huddle all season.