PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft (an early look)

steelblood
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Quite often the Steeler's picks in the early rounds reflect the positions where short- or medium-term team need intersects the particular draft's depth. The relative depth of certain positions quite often pushes value down to the Steelers pick. Quite often this value translates to a pick that the organization cannot pass up (much like Cam Heyward this year).

Of course there is a lot of football to be played so players will rise and slide, and many juniors will declare while others will stay in school. But, based on what we know right now, here is a quick look at the early round (Rounds 1 and 2) positions of depth and value in this years draft...

Top 64 picks
CB 8-14 prospects
OT 7-12 prospects
WR 5-9 prospects
34 OLB 4-7 prospects
ILB 3-5 prospects
QB 3-5 prospects
34 DE 3-4 prospects
FS 2-3 prospects
G 2-3 prospects
SS 2 prospects
C 2 prospects
RB 2 prospects
TE 2 prospects
NT 1-2 prospects
4-3 only 2 prospects

I surmise the Steelers 2012 early round draft needs to be...

High Priority

OT
OG
ILB
FS
CB
NT

Med Priority

RB
WR
OLB

So, the positions that represent high need and excellent early round draft depth are CB and OT. ILB and FS also represent decent value. Guard is a moderate value. Finally, WR could be a surprise pick as Hines Ward is almost done and the young receivers will be nearing their second contracts and cannot all be retained.

In the coming weeks, I'll generate lists of prospects to watch this college football season. I will start with these positions as they represent likely early round draft targets for the Steelers.

-steelblood

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Based on your high priority positions, some interesting names that could be available to us with our top pick...CB Chase Minnifield, OT Levy Adcock, OG Cordy Glenn, ILB Manti Te'o, and NT Alameda Ta'amu (don't see a top notch FS right now).

steelblood
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Ruthless,

At FS,

I like Robert Lester (Jr) Alabama as a late first rounder right now. I think he will have to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. But, he has exceptional size and athleticism to go along with decent speed and great ball skills. He is very quick to react to the ball in the air. 8 picks last season is very impressive. He is probably more of an early second round pick at the moment, but I believe he will end up a first round pick (should he declare).

I also like TJ Ward (another underclassmen) in the second round. He is less of a finished product, but he has been playing in a defense that translates well to the pros and has great potential.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
There is another safety prospect named T.J. Ward (after the dude on the Browns already)? That's just weird.

Two Steve Smiths, Two Roy Williams, A Tony Gonzalez and an Anthony Gonzalez, and now this. It's a small football world, I suppose.

steelblood
09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
TJ McDonald is the safety from USC. Sorry, I got my TJs crossed.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
TJ McDonald is the safety from USC. Sorry, I got my TJs crossed.

Okay...gotcha. In my previous post, I forgot to mention the second running back also named Adrian Peterson...that one's even weirder than if there was indeed another safety named T.J. Ward.

steelblood
09-16-2011, 08:16 AM
But wait, there's more...

There are two Alex Smith's. TE for Browns and QB for 49ers.

And, maybe the weirdest one of all. There are two Zach Millers. Both play TE and both are #86 (Jags and Seahawks).

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2011, 09:19 AM
But wait, there's more...

There are two Alex Smith's. TE for Browns and QB for 49ers.

And, maybe the weirdest one of all. There are two Zach Millers. Both play TE and both are #86 (Jags and Seahawks).

In the last draft, there was a Cameron Jordan and a Jordan Cameron. The Saints drafted the Cal DE in round 1, and when the Browns were about to take the USC TE in the 4th round, they called the wrong guy to welcome him to the team.

D Rock
09-16-2011, 11:12 PM
I think the weirdest part is the combos at the same position with the same name and how man there are.

Steve Smith
Zach Miller
Adrian Peterson

there are also 3 Chris Johnsons, a Charlie and a Charles Johnson, a Michael and a Mike Jenkins, 3 Michaels and a Mike Johnson (2 LBs), 2 Spencer Johnsons, a Dhani a Donnie and a Donald Jones, 2 Greg Jones, and an Eli and Elijah Joseph