PDA

View Full Version : Ward Calls for Steelers to Run More

phillyesq
09-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, actually, he calls for a more balanced approached on offense.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/09-15-2011-Steelers-dissention-on-direction

Mister Pittsburgh
09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah, that was the difference in the game. We should of run more :roll:

STFU Hines and play the f'n game. I love the dude on the field but am so tired of hearing his constant yammering.

Dee Dub
09-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah...it's kind of hard to be balanced on offense when at half time the team is down 21-7 and 29-7 two minutes into the 3rd quarter.

PSU_dropout43
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
PITTSBURGH - With quarterback Ben Roethlisberger heading into his prime and five solid wide receivers, the Steelers felt their passing offense was primed to explode this season.
It did just that Sunday in Baltimore, but not in the way the Steelers had hoped.

Roethlisberger threw three interceptions and lost two fumbles, and the Steelers turned the ball over seven times in a 35-7 loss to the Ravens.

While the rest of the NFL is heading to more pass-happy offenses - there were a record 14 300-yard passing games and 7,842 passing yards during the opening weekend - not everyone is happy the Steelers are moving that way.

"We have talent on this team," said Steelers receiver Hines Ward. "Every year, we get excited about something. Let's just do what we've been doing, what got us to the Super Bowl last year, and we'll be fine. It's great that we have these (receivers) and, of course, we want to put them on the field at the same time, but we need to find our identity. We need to do what we do best."

According to Ward, the Steelers' offensive identity should include fewer four- and five-wide receiver sets and more of running back Rashard Mendenhall.

In Ward, Mike Wallace and second-year players Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, the Steelers believe they have one of their best groups of receivers in many years.

And they want to use them all.

But Ward doesn't necessarily believe that's the best thing for this team right now, particularly with the Steelers starting a rookie at right tackle Sunday against Seattle at Heinz Field. Marcus Gilbert will replace Willie Colon, who is lost for the season with a torn triceps.

"I think when we're balanced, that's when we're at our best," Ward said. "Rashard's getting his carries in. Mike's getting his shots. Me and (tight end) Heath (Miller) are getting open underneath, and then you have some exciting plays with the younger guys.

"Getting into four or five wides, like we're in Green Bay, it's exciting. I'm not saying we can't do it. But I don't know if that's who we are right now. ... We have to emphasize being balanced."

Mendenhall had only 12 carries for 45 yards against the Ravens, mainly because of circumstances. The Steelers fell behind 29-7 early in the second half and were in a purely passing mode for the rest of the game. But even in the first half, Roethlisberger dropped back to pass 17 times and the Steelers attempted only nine runs.

"We're a good football team," Roethlisberger said. "We had a bad day. I'm sure Hines didn't think we tried to run the ball enough. But it is what it is."

For Ward, it comes down to playing winning football.

"The league is becoming more pass-happy," said Ward, a 14-year veteran. "It's more exciting, but I'm at a point in my career where I want to win. Winning ballgames gets you into the (postseason). That's what really matters to me. ... I've tried to teach the young guys, you can go out and catch passes for 200 yards, but if you lose the ballgame, it means nothing in this locker room. It's all about wins and losses."

Odds and end zones

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring) and guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee) did not practice Wednesday for the Steelers. ... Cornerbacks Curtis Brown (ankle) and Bryant McFadden (hamstring) were limited.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Then we should go one TE and 3 wides with Ward on the pine.

His saying he is getting open is utter garbage.

Ben needs to say what he really feels and stop glossing over it...."Hines should shut the F up and try harder to get open...oh, and read a D so he would know when he was the hot read".

Steelhere10
09-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Ward just want to keep the talent off the field because he soon will be on the pine.

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Ward Puzzled By NFL's Referee Assignment

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Sep 14, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/88/886944.jpg

The NFL has assigned Bill Leavy to referee Sunday's Seahawks-Steelers game. Leavy, of course, worked Super Bowl XL ...

... a game in which Leavy came to publically regret some of his calls. Hines Ward had some interesting things to say about the NFL's curious assigment.
Hines Ward, wide receiver, Pittsburgh Steelers

Q: Do you think it’s smart of the league to put Bill Leavy on this game?

A: I just heard that. I don’t know if it’s smart. Why would they do that to that guy?

Q: What was your reaction to him saying last year that he “kicked two calls in the fourth quarter” in the Super Bowl against Seattle?

A: He opened a can of worms when he said that. Why would he say that? Maybe that’s why they did it. He shouldn’t have said that. Maybe this is his punishment.

Q: What did you think of the officiating in Super Bowl XL? Was it as bad as their fans made it out to be?

A: Noooo. It wasn’t that bad. Technically they were fouls. They were penalties. Now, how nitpicky do you want to go at it? There’s a penalty on every play. Can a ref call half the penalties? They could. Probably at that time that’s what he saw and his natural instinct was to throw the flag. The push-off on Chris [Hope], that was a push.

Q: The hold on Clark Haggans?

A: It was a hold (laughs). James [Harrison] could get called for a penalty on every play. That happens to him all the time.

Q: The quarterback sneak at the inch-line was still third down, wasn’t it?

A: Yeah (laughs). I don’t know (laughs).

Q: What about the Jerramy Stevens fumble that was called an incomplete pass? Was that a bad call against you guys?

A: It really should’ve been our ball. But, it wasn’t. They called it incomplete. We as players are taught not to let the referees determine the outcome of the game. If you’re sitting their dwelling on it, then they’re getting you out of your mindset of what you’ve got to do and they will determine the outcome. To sit there complaining, I mean I’ve been in games where we’ve gotten no calls and we still found a way to win the ball game. We’re never going to make excuses for that. Penalties can be called on every given play. At that time, it was right in front of the refs, he saw it. His natural instinct was to call it. That’s what he did. They’re complaining about something the guy did right, and now he comes out after hearing all the complaints and says, ‘I regret calling all the penalties.’ Well, that was human instinct. You can’t go back. You can always second-guess when you slow it down. That happens in every sport all day long. It’s a tough job for a ref, but when he came out and opened his mouth with that, he opened up a whole can of worms with that. You’re here to call the game and make sure it’s played fairly, and when you say there’s doubt, that you’re questioning your calls, that’s not good for anyone.

Q: Should he have been fired?

A: I never want somebody to lose their job. We as humans all make mistakes. But when you open up and you say that, now you just give Seattle fans more reason to complain about something – and now you’re refereeing this game? They need to move on. That was six years ago and this guy’s still catching hell. I feel bad for the guy. And for the league to put him in the same position again makes it worse.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1106598.html

flippy
09-16-2011, 01:02 AM
We had 5 rushes for 44 yards in the first quarter.

Then 11 for 22 yards the rest of the game.

16 rushes and 41 passes is a recipe for disaster. Ward's right.

Captain Lemming
09-16-2011, 01:24 AM
We had 5 rushes for 44 yards in the first quarter.

Then 11 for 22 yards the rest of the game.

16 rushes and 41 passes is a recipe for disaster. Ward's right.

Yup.

I know falling behind had something to do with it but I dissagree with the "we need to go pass happy" we have heard for months now.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Ward just wants to keep him and Wallace on the field instead of having more mouths to feed so he can get his catch total for the season. Hines is about Hines. I like his demeanor on the field but he makes everything about Hines.

pittpete
09-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Ward just wants to keep him and Wallace on the field instead of having more mouths to feed so he can get his catch total for the season. Hines is about Hines. I like his demeanor on the field but he makes everything about Hines.

Honestly, you really believe that? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Crash, is that you? :D