PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks

steelblood
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
I just read Max Starks personal twitter feed (MaxStarks78 if you want to check it out). Here are a few details that I found interesting. Max says he hasn't felt this good in years. He is in good shape and has been working out intensely in Arizona. He would like to come back to Pittsburgh, but feels he is not in their plans. He harbors no ill will and maintains a positive attitude.

I believe he was out of shape, but is probably working toward playing shape now. He is a good guy who needs to get back to the NFL to prove to teams that he can play. I see no problem with offering him vet minimum or so and kicking Jamon Meredith to the curb. Both parties would benefit from him coming back. Big Max is not a great player, but if he is working back into shape, he could help this team down the stretch. This seems like a no brainer to me. There is no real risk.

If there was something terribly wrong with his neck, I don't believe that Big Max would be lying and saying he was fine. He is a spiritual, honest, and genuine dude.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Could probably sign him on the cheap right now, since he needs to prove himself. Don't understand why the Steelers wouldn't be giving him a call. Maybe he didn't get along with Kugler?

steeler_george
09-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Feeling great and being in shape is different from able to perform and play in shape. That neck injury might be worse than we thought, and i pro Starks and anti signing Colon.

Ghost
09-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I can't find it right now but it was in the Post Gazette in the last week that Starks was grossly overweight and out of shape. That's a stark (no pun intended) contrast to his tweets. You have to believe the Steelers were diligent in looking at this option. You've got a guy who wants to play for them, isn't getting offers from other teams, and would step in with players, coaches, and a system he knows.

They'd have him here in a second if it made sense. Instead they're gowing with a rookie that played the other tackle position and a journeyman with questions about his consistency as the depth. Tells you all you need to know.

steelblood
09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Bouchette said that he was way out of shape. In his tweets, Max specifically says that Bouchette never saw him (don't know how he knows this). But, this is not the first player to say that Bouchette embellished the truth. In fact, Dickerson said today that Bouchette's claim that he quit is a lie.

I'm sure Max was out of shape. The point is that we don't know how out of shape and he has been training for weeks since then. Supposedly, McKinnie was cut for the same reason several weeks ago. He is now getting into shape and kicked our a$$ all over the field on Sunday.

Besides, the point is that Max is now a relative bargain. He is attempting to get himself in shape and he knows our offense. It just makes sense to bring him in for vet min or close to that for the season. He would probably agree to these terms at this point. There is no real risk here.

Ghost
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Bouchette is a giant d!ckhead so wouldn't surprise me if he was making stuff up. Still doesn't change the other facts - the Steelers are well aware of his availability and still believe a rookie who's not played the position is a better option. At least for this game.

Who knows - maybe the rook is a disaster (here's hpoing that is not true at all) and then they'll look to Max. But I think it's telling that they have made a decision to NOT bring him back in. Something serious is driving that.

fezziwig
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I have to agree with you guys when you say, "the Steelers are aware of the condition Max is in. "

Last season when he took the field I remember saying he looks like he was over weight and this season, he looked like a whale.

Max really has no business putting on weight because he was never light on his feet to start with.

I always liked Max but always thought he was over paid.

steelblood
09-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Bouchette is a giant d!ckhead so wouldn't surprise me if he was making stuff up. Still doesn't change the other facts - the Steelers are well aware of his availability and still believe a rookie who's not played the position is a better option. At least for this game.

Who knows - maybe the rook is a disaster (here's hpoing that is not true at all) and then they'll look to Max. But I think it's telling that they have made a decision to NOT bring him back in. Something serious is driving that.

I'm not sure Max was willing to come back on the cheap (especially at first). I'm just guessing. Maybe they can't afford Max the same way they can't afford Flozell. The Steelers knew what sort of shape Max was in when he was here. Now? Who knows? I'd invite the guy in for a physical at least. What would that hurt? We are getting desperate. There is nothing after Gilbert and Scott.

steelerkeylargo
09-15-2011, 07:21 PM
I just read Max Starks personal twitter feed (MaxStarks78 if you want to check it out). Here are a few details that I found interesting. Max says he hasn't felt this good in years. He is in good shape and has been working out intensely in Arizona. He would like to come back to Pittsburgh, but feels he is not in their plans. He harbors no ill will and maintains a positive attitude.

I believe he was out of shape, but is probably working toward playing shape now. He is a good guy who needs to get back to the NFL to prove to teams that he can play. I see no problem with offering him vet minimum or so and kicking Jamon Meredith to the curb. Both parties would benefit from him coming back. Big Max is not a great player, but if he is working back into shape, he could help this team down the stretch. This seems like a no brainer to me. There is no real risk.

If there was something terribly wrong with his neck, I don't believe that Big Max would be lying and saying he was fine. He is a spiritual, honest, and genuine dude.

Just to clarify it was 8/6/11 when Starks said he didn't think he was in the Steelers plans. Alot has happened since .

steelblood
09-15-2011, 09:51 PM

Just to clarify it was 8/6/11 when Starks said he didn't think he was in the Steelers plans. Alot has happened since .

True. But, it appears that (for the moment) he is still not in their plans.

Oh well, I hope that Marcus Gilbert surprises everyone and Jon Scott plays adequately. Still I worry when Essex has to play tackle. By the way, if we cut Max because he is out of shape, how in the world does Essex get a job. That guy has looked like a fat slob for years. Seriously, he looks pregnant.

flippy
09-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Call me crazy, but I always felt like Max was our best lineman. He wasn't as quick as the premiere LTs, but the guy faced some pretty good pass rushers and made them irrelevant. Just seemed to me like an all around quality guy.

There absolutely has to be something wrong with his health. Nothing else would make sense.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Call me crazy, but I always felt like Max was our best lineman. He wasn't as quick as the premiere LTs, but the guy faced some pretty good pass rushers and made them irrelevant. Just seemed to me like an all around quality guy.

There absolutely has to be something wrong with his health. Nothing else would make sense.

Maybe he told Rooney he wasn't going to vote for Obama next time?

feltdizz
09-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Bouchette can't be trusted...

Max putting on weight after neck surgery isn't shocking. It's expected...

Pahn711
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Last season when he took the field I remember saying he looks like he was over weight and this season, he looked like a whale.

When did you see him this season?

fezziwig
09-16-2011, 02:46 PM

I believe I seen him in initerviews prior to his release.

Pahn711
09-16-2011, 02:48 PM

I believe I seen him in initerviews prior to his release.

The last interviews I've seen posted on Starks date back right before the superbowl. Not saying I don't believe you but I'd be interested in seeing them.

fezziwig
09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
it may have been at st. vincents or i'm just getting that image in my head.

RuthlessBurgher
09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Looks like he slimmed down to me (and developed that Michael Jackson skin condition as well). :P

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/07/31/roex-large.jpg

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Looks like he slimmed down to me (and developed that Michael Jackson skin condition as well). :P

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/07/31/roex-large.jpg

maybe he can be the back-up OT and emergency QB on game days (he's gotta be better than Dennis Dixon and you know how Tomlin loves position versatility) :D