PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Steelers Say Ravens Blocked Illegally

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Ed: Steelers Say Ravens Blocked Illegally

WEDNESDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Casey Hampton did not complain but he did confirm today what his teammates had been saying this week, that the Baltimore Ravens targeted the Steelers Pro Bowl nose tackle with illegal chop blocks for much of their game on Sunday.

An illegal chop block occurs when an offensive player engages a defensive player -- blocking him, usually straight up -- while another offensive player comes in to block the defensive player below the waist.

It's considered one of the most dangerous blocks in football, which is why it's been illegal for a long time. A defensive player's knees are more vulnerable to severe injury in such a double-team.

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons blew the whistle on the Ravens Tuesday night on the radio and both Hampton and linebacker James Farrior confirmed it today. Hampton said Baltimore center Matt Birk and the Ravens' two guards, which were Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda, were pulling the illegal blocks on him all day. He said he did not complain to the officials about it.

"It is what it is, I don't cry about stuff like that,'' Hampton said.

"They were doing it a lot or trying to do it alot. At times, I got out of it. It's kind of tough when you're engaged with a guy and you're not even worried about the guard and they come and just chop your legs out. That's kind of tough. There's nothing you can do about that."

No penalties were called on the Ravens for any illegal chop blocks Sunday.

"They were doing it all day,'' said Farrior, the Steelers defensive captain. "That's pretty bad."

http://burgh.us/7pu

BradshawsHairdresser
09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Well, more fuel for the conspiracy fires...

But do those illegal chop-blocks on Casey really have much to do with all the rest of the defensive issues?

I dunno...don't want us sounding too much like SeaHags...

rpmpit
09-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Snack "...don't cry about stuff like that." But that's exactly what you're doing here, Casey!!! Play the game like you actually give a SH*T and stop with the excuses.

And if it was really happening, why not bring it to the official's attention???

Eddie Spaghetti
09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
foolio will have a field day with this.

he's already counting page hits.

Sugar
09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Snack "...don't cry about stuff like that." But that's exactly what you're doing here, Casey!!! Play the game like you actually give a SH*T and stop with the excuses.

And if it was really happening, why not bring it to the official's attention???

I assume that since the Ravens did this all game, there is a ton of film showing it, right??

If they were being chop-blocked then they should say something. It's dangerous.

NorCal-Steeler
09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
snack wasnt complaing as the article said Timmons blew the wistle and Farrior confirmed.

on a side note their coach is a dirt bag, going for 2pt conversion and going for it on 4th down when the game was all but over. The coaching staff shows zero class and it would not suprise me if he coached this. He has made many comments over the years that are completly classless.

insanesteelersfan
09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Man this is so unlike the steelers. And Casey, whether he blew the so-called whistle or not is STILL Whining about it. Cause if he weren't, he would have not responded to the media. Oh I'm sure both Timmons and Farrior said this,,,cause BOTH of them had to find some sort of excuse as to why neither of them had a single tackle the entire game, or at least not one of any worth. So of course they say Baltimore cheated. I call complete BS to this. I watched the game, and then again after I saw this, and I did not see ONE Chop Block when one of D-Linemenwere engaged. And it's widely known that this type of Block has hurt, and ended more NFL Careers then any other Injury. And NO WAY will I believe that our other defenders saw this, and wouldn't respond back. This is complete BS! Steeler fans. And just plain old Cry'in!, and acting like a bunch of over grown Babies! :Binky :Binky :Binky

steelblood
09-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I have to agree with the insane gentlemen here. This is not the time to be complaining about what the Ravens did illegally. If the organization wanted to lodge a complaint with the league, they should have done that and sent tape to back it up. The public comments are completely unnecessary and come off as whiney, sour grapes stuff.

costanza2k1
09-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Check out what BTSC put together:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... p-blocking (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/14/2426074/dirty-birds-ravens-illegally-chop-blocking)

winwithd
09-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Tunch Ilkin points it out on Chalk Talk video over at Steelers.com. The first play he analyzes is the Rice run to start the game and he says (not a quote) Oh, and by the way, that is a chop block there on Hampton. I thought they were illegal.

I know when I say the play live I thought it looked funny the way he went down. Then Tunch shows the replay and says that. I don't know if they did it all game long. I wouldn't be surprised. But the refs definitely missed one the first one.

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I watched the game, and then again after I saw this, and I did not see ONE Chop Block when one of D-Linemenwere engaged.

guess you didn't watch the very first play of the game too carefully then...that's Casey Hampton being blocked up high and Marshall Yanda chop blocking Hampton.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/715471/Chop1_chopblock_medium.jpg

insanesteelersfan
09-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Tunch Ilkin points it out on Chalk Talk video over at Steelers.com. The first play he analyzes is the Rice run to start the game and he says (not a quote) Oh, and by the way, that is a chop block there on Hampton. I thought they were illegal.

I know when I say the play live I thought it looked funny the way he went down. Then Tunch shows the replay and says that. I don't know if they did it all game long. I wouldn't be surprised. But the refs definitely missed one the first one.

That's funny cause I listened to Tunch the entire broadcast on Sunday, and he didn't say a single word about any Chop-Blocks. He did however mention that he felt Harrison was held on several occasions, but no Chop-Blocks. Maybe our Line ought to try that, maybe they will keep Ben from getting killed.

Chadman
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow...some of us fans on here are starting to sound a little hysterical...

We lost. Badly. didn't play well, etc, etc.

These are still the same Steelers we all pretty much agreed were geared up for another SB tilt. 1 loss doesn't change that, unless you are a person accustomed to gross over exaggeration & childlike behaviour.

Hampton wasn't complaining- he was asked a direct question by a reporter & responded. So be it.

Can't wait to hear how we are SB certainties after we smash the Seahawks this weekend- nothing is as good as polar opposites one week from the next.

NorCal-Steeler
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
yeah time to put the 16-0 T-shirts away untill next season. :tt1

papillon
09-14-2011, 10:35 PM
yeah time to put the 16-0 T-shirts away untill next season. :tt1

Yea and our 18-1 T-shirts will mean a lot more than the Patriots 18-1 T-shirts. :D

:tt2

Pappy

phillyesq
09-14-2011, 10:51 PM

These are still the same Steelers we all pretty much agreed were geared up for another SB tilt. 1 loss doesn't change that, unless you are a person accustomed to gross over exaggeration & childlike behaviour.

Hampton wasn't complaining- he was asked a direct question by a reporter & responded. So be it.

Can't wait to hear how we are SB certainties after we smash the Seahawks this weekend- nothing is as good as polar opposites one week from the next.

Exactly. If he's asked a question, what else is he supposed to do?

The Ravens were dirty from the onset when Brown was horse-collared out of bounds. But, they've always seemed to be a dirty bunch, and the work from BTSC demonstrates that.

It doesn't excuse the loss, but it would be nice to see the rats get some heat for their dirty play.

:ratsuck

Slapstick
09-14-2011, 10:59 PM
It's clear to everyone that illegal chop blocks were not the difference in the game...

That being said, it's a classless BS tactic...

Regardless of how bad the Steelers lost, it isn't right...

sd steel
09-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Man this is so unlike the steelers. And Casey, whether he blew the so-called whistle or not is STILL Whining about it. Cause if he weren't, he would have not responded to the media. Oh I'm sure both Timmons and Farrior said this,,,cause BOTH of them had to find some sort of excuse as to why neither of them had a single tackle the entire game, or at least not one of any worth. So of course they say Baltimore cheated. I call complete BS to this. I watched the game, and then again after I saw this, and I did not see ONE Chop Block when one of D-Linemenwere engaged. And it's widely known that this type of Block has hurt, and ended more NFL Careers then any other Injury. And NO WAY will I believe that our other defenders saw this, and wouldn't respond back. This is complete BS! Steeler fans. And just plain old Cry'in!, and acting like a bunch of over grown Babies! :Binky :Binky :Binky

Guess you missed the first play both times you watched the game.:)

grotonsteel
09-15-2011, 01:50 AM
I don't think Steelers lost because of chop blocks but when did it become legal??? Casey could have got seriously injured. There is a reason why it is illegal.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... p-blocking (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/14/2426074/dirty-birds-ravens-illegally-chop-blocking)

I hope Ratbirds get fined for dirty play.

rpmpit
09-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Exactly. If he's asked a question, what else is he supposed to do?

The Ravens were dirty from the onset when Brown was horse-collared out of bounds. But, they've always seemed to be a dirty bunch, and the work from BTSC demonstrates that.

It doesn't excuse the loss, but it would be nice to see the rats get some heat for their dirty play.

:ratsuck

I don't see in the article where it says Casey was asked the direct question. And even if he was asked directly, he should have followed Tomlin's example and not make excuses. If you win the game and call them out for dirty play, then so be it. If you lose, it sounds like you're crying - exactly what we are constantly calling out the Seahawks for after the SB. Just my opinion.

BTW, Troy had a horse collar penalty too. Does that mean we are dirty?? Believe me, I'm no fan of Harbaugh. I don't doubt they were chopping. Just saying that complaining about it after a loss sounds and looks really bad.

And can someone explain to me how the chop blocking led to 7 offensive turnovers??

rpmpit
09-15-2011, 07:11 AM
snack wasnt complaing as the article said Timmons blew the wistle and Farrior confirmed.

on a side note their coach is a dirt bag, going for 2pt conversion and going for it on 4th down when the game was all but over. The coaching staff shows zero class and it would not suprise me if he coached this. He has made many comments over the years that are completly classless.

Agreed that Harbaugh is a dirt bag. It's to the point for me that I root AGAINST the 49ers because his brother is their coach :lol:

I really thought after James stuffed them on the 4th down that we were going to come back. Then we turned it over again :(

JAR
09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
November 6th is coming scumbag Ratbird trash! I hope it plays out like last year, rip their hearts out in the playoffs.

Ghost
09-15-2011, 08:38 AM
I try not to use this word but I hate Harbaugh.

It'd be nice to have the Ravens fined for hits that are not only illegal but could end Hampton's careeer - especially when there's video evidence of it happening more than once. But after a complete beat down like that game it's something that needs to take place outside the ears of the press. Even though true, it looks like so much crying.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Hampton said Baltimore center Matt Birk and the Ravens' two guards, which were Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda, were pulling the illegal blocks on him all day. He said he did not complain to the officials about it.

If opponents are taking out your knees, why wouldn't you mention this to the referees during the game? You may not want to b!tch and moan about penalty calls, but when someone taking out your knees could potentially end your season or career, it's a safety issue...you might want to mention that to the officials so that they can put an end to it.

feltdizz
09-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Doesn't sound like crying to me... :roll:

Mister Pittsburgh
09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
if i am in a fist fight and my opponent hits me in the balls, it becomes fair game. if the Ravens were chopping Casey then Ngata should of received the same. tends to make you think twice about cheapshots when you recieve one or two.

ROLROC
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I watched the game, and then again after I saw this, and I did not see ONE Chop Block when one of D-Linemenwere engaged.

guess you didn't watch the very first play of the game too carefully then...that's Casey Hampton being blocked up high and Marshall Yanda chop blocking Hampton.

Casey is lucky he didn't his left knee f'ed up on the 1st play from scrimmage.

Slapstick
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
[ don't see in the article where it says Casey was asked the direct question. And even if he was asked directly, he should have followed Tomlin's example and not make excuses. If you win the game and call them out for dirty play, then so be it. If you lose, it sounds like you're crying - exactly what we are constantly calling out the Seahawks for after the SB. Just my opinion.

BTW, Troy had a horse collar penalty too. Does that mean we are dirty?? Believe me, I'm no fan of Harbaugh. I don't doubt they were chopping. Just saying that complaining about it after a loss sounds and looks really bad.

No disrespect intended, but I absolutely do not understand this line of thought...

It's okay that the Ravens chop blocked illegally because they won the game?

It's not okay that the Ravens chop blocked, but it also is not okay for Casey to admit it happened when asked because the Steelers lost?

To me, that's just as stupid as players continuing to play through concussions and then suing the NFL in 25 years when they begin to have difficulty tying their shoes.

Despite how hard Goodell tries to, it is impossible to legislate hard hits out of the game of football. However, illegal tactics can and should be legislated out of the game. There is a reason that chop blocking is illegal. It is a career threatening tactic that is completely unnecessary. While a player may not have the intent to injure with a hard hit, they are clearly being negligent with injury when they chop.

Win or lose, it's wrong and it's against the rules. If Timmons and Casey speaking up makes the Baltimore Douchebags think twice about chopping, then perhaps a serious injury will be avoided...

ikestops85
09-15-2011, 01:41 PM

This is off topic but did any of you notice that in the pictures immediately after the ball was snapped everyone on the D seemed to be moving except for Timmons?

rpmpit
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM
[ don't see in the article where it says Casey was asked the direct question. And even if he was asked directly, he should have followed Tomlin's example and not make excuses. If you win the game and call them out for dirty play, then so be it. If you lose, it sounds like you're crying - exactly what we are constantly calling out the Seahawks for after the SB. Just my opinion.

No disrespect intended, but I absolutely do not understand this line of thought...

It's okay that the Ravens chop blocked illegally because they won the game?

It's not okay that the Ravens chop blocked, but it also is not okay for Casey to admit it happened when asked because the Steelers lost?

To me, that's just as stupid as players continuing to play through concussions and then suing the NFL in 25 years when they begin to have difficulty tying their shoes.

Despite how hard Goodell tries to, it is impossible to legislate hard hits out of the game of football. However, illegal tactics can and should be legislated out of the game. There is a reason that chop blocking is illegal. It is a career threatening tactic that is completely unnecessary. While a player may not have the intent to injure with a hard hit, they are clearly being negligent with injury when they chop.

Win or lose, it's wrong and it's against the rules. If Timmons and Casey speaking up makes the Baltimore Douchebags think twice about chopping, then perhaps a serious injury will be avoided...

Its obvious that you don't understand this line of thought...because you totally misunderstood my point. I'll try to simplify. Complaining about ANYTHING after a loss sounds like you're crying. Like I said earlier and many agreed, say something DURING the game. It is never ok to chop block. Never said it was. And no disrespect taken. Even though you called me stupid :lol:

phillyesq
09-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Hampton said Baltimore center Matt Birk and the Ravens' two guards, which were Ben Grubbs and Marshal Yanda, were pulling the illegal blocks on him all day. He said he did not complain to the officials about it.

If opponents are taking out your knees, why wouldn't you mention this to the referees during the game? You may not want to b!tch and moan about penalty calls, but when someone taking out your knees could potentially end your season or career, it's a safety issue...you might want to mention that to the officials so that they can put an end to it.

Yeah, I don't understand this either. Can it really hurt to mention the issue to the official and ask him to look for it?

Or, better yet, print off a picture of a cut block and stuff it in the official's shirt, Cowher style?

Slapstick
09-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Its obvious that you don't understand this line of thought...because you totally misunderstood my point. I'll try to simplify. Complaining about ANYTHING after a loss sounds like you're crying. Like I said earlier and many agreed, say something DURING the game. It is never ok to chop block. Never said it was. And no disrespect taken. Even though you called me stupid :lol:

No disrespect, but if I thought you were stupid, I'd say something like, "Armpit Jr.'s dad is stupid." Or something like that... :lol:

I did understand your point after all, but I just disagree with it.

IMO, something as potentially dangerous as chop blocking needs to be brought to light. If the NFL really is concerned about player safety, they would levy some James Harrison-level fines against Baltimore.

To me, it is something that transcends winning and losing. I wouldn't want the Steelers to do it at all, let alone repeatedly as the Ravens did. Complaining about something may make you look bad, but chop blocking like that makes the other team look worse.

Nobody ever tore an ACL because someone else complained too hard...

feltdizz
09-15-2011, 03:18 PM
win or lose you should be able to talk about getting chop blocked.

No one sounds like they are making excuses for losing just calling a chop block a chop block.

I guess it's only OK to talk about illegal tactics after wins. :stirpot

phillyesq
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh great. Now Florio is claiming that the Steelers misinterpreted the rule.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/15/steelers-apparently-dont-understand-the-chop-block-rule/

I always thought you couldn't block a guy low if he was being blocked high, but perhaps that was incorrect.

Slapstick
09-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I looked up the rule and it does say that, on a running play, the player who chops low cannot be more than one position away from the player engaged with the defender...

I take it all back. Apparently, it's legal!

I want to see Legursky chop Ngata on every single play next time...

Slapstick
09-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Incidentally, I don't agree with chop blocking at all...

I just figure that, if the Steelers start doing it, the NFL will change the rule and make it illegal... :tt2

phillyesq
09-15-2011, 04:45 PM

I just figure that, if the Steelers start doing it, the NFL will change the rule and make it illegal... :tt2

Well, for the good of the league then, the Steelers should chop block Ngata on at least the first 10 plays of the November 6 game. :lol:

sd steel
09-15-2011, 04:56 PM

This is off topic but did any of you notice that in the pictures immediately after the ball was snapped everyone on the D seemed to be moving except for Timmons?

Do you know what Timmons responsibilities were? Was he in coverage? What were his reads? Was he spying Flacco, or was he man on Rice or did he have backside C gap?

Are you asking because you think he was being lazy? What is the point of your question?

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh great. Now Florio is claiming that the Steelers misinterpreted the rule.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/15/steelers-apparently-dont-understand-the-chop-block-rule/

I always thought you couldn't block a guy low if he was being blocked high, but perhaps that was incorrect.

Lovely...you can't breathe on a QB (unless that QB has a 14-letter-long Swiss last name, of course), but you can buckle a d-lineman's knees when he is already being blocked by someone else. Way to make safety a priority!

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 06:25 PM

Well, for the good of the league then, the Steelers should chop block Ngata on at least the first 10 plays of the November 6 game. :lol:

I second that motion! :Cheers

rpmpit
09-15-2011, 07:30 PM

No disrespect, but if I thought you were stupid, I'd say something like, "Armpit Jr.'s dad is stupid." Or something like that... :lol:

I did understand your point after all, but I just disagree with it.

IMO, something as potentially dangerous as chop blocking needs to be brought to light. If the NFL really is concerned about player safety, they would levy some James Harrison-level fines against Baltimore.

To me, it is something that transcends winning and losing. I wouldn't want the Steelers to do it at all, let alone repeatedly as the Ravens did. Complaining about something may make you look bad, but chop blocking like that makes the other team look worse.

Nobody ever tore an ACL because someone else complained too hard...

Totally agree, Slap. If it was illegal (now I guess we're saying its legal??) I just think it should have been brought up during the game.

ikestops85
09-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Do you know what Timmons responsibilities were? Was he in coverage? What were his reads? Was he spying Flacco, or was he man on Rice or did he have backside C gap?

Are you asking because you think he was being lazy? What is the point of your question?

I have no idea what his responsibilities are. I just wondered if anyone else noticed. Everybody else on the team seems to be moving but Timmons.

Just chill out ... I'm not picking on your boy. I like Timmons. It was just an observation.

Chavezz
09-15-2011, 09:19 PM

LMAO

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Titans defensive coordinator has a plan for Ravens cut blocks

Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/nfl_a_jgray_jh_300.jpg?w=250

On Thursday, we learned that the Steelers believe that the Ravens are getting away with illegal chop blocks. Then we learned that the Ravens aren’t technically performing chop blocks.

And now the situation has gone to a new level, with Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray explaining that the Titans will fight the Ravens’ fire with a little fire of their own.

“They’re trying to cut you and do those things,” Gray said, per John Glennon of the Tennessean. “You’ve got to make sure you’re doing something that’s hopefully going to hurt them, too. You can’t just be the recipient of everything. You’ve got to start doing something that’s going to get you back on track and hopefully they’ll tone that stuff down when you do something else.”

The NFL surely won’t be happy with that kind of candor. Legal tactics that may injure an opponent is one thing. Deliberately trying to injure an opponent is another.

Look for the NFL to let the Titans know — swiftly — that any evidence of attempts to injure other players will be met with significant discipline.

As to the Ravens’ cut blocks that are applied to defenders who are engaged by another blocker, keep in mind that it becomes an illegal chop block only if the two offensive linemen involved were not lined up next to each other at the snap. Though the rule arguably needs to be changed, that’s the rule currently on the books.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cu-blocks/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/16/titans-defensive-coordinator-has-a-plan-for-ravens-cu-blocks/)

Slapstick
09-16-2011, 03:06 PM
He said nothing about injuring them...he said "something that's hopefully going to hurt them, too." Throwing 5 TD passes would hurt them. Forcing 7 turnovers would hurt them.

SteelAbility
09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
It's clear to everyone that illegal chop blocks were not the difference in the game...

That being said, it's a classless BS tactic...

Regardless of how bad the Steelers lost, it isn't right...

I'm not sure I agree. If the other team gets to do dangerous and illegal things like that then it can significantly alter the play of a key player. That ripples into sustained drives, field position and denied opportunity to your offense.

Pahn711
09-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I would have rather the Steelers kept their mouths shut and just planned their adjustments/revenge next game. Might have given them the element of surprise, I dunno.

Besides, like has been mentioned several times already, chop blocks still don't account for the poor performance of the offense.

hawaiiansteel
09-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Harbaugh calls Ravens’ blocking “100% legal, 100% ethical”

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 16, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/johnharbaughreutersaug11.jpg?w=250

Ravens coach John Harbaugh doesn’t appreciate the Steelers calling his offensive line dirty.

Responding to comments from the Steelers that the Ravens were taking dirty shots at their knees, Harbaugh vehemently defended his players and coaches.

“The blocking scheme that’s come up this week is one that almost every team in the National Football League runs,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve been running it for years. Some teams do it better than other teams. The block is absolutely legal. It’s 100 percent legal, and it’s 100 percent ethical, and there is no danger whatsoever in the way the block is being executed because it’s in front.”

Harbaugh is right that the blocks the Steelers were complaining about are legal, but claiming “there is no danger whatsoever” seems to be taking it too far. Just because the blocks are allowed doesn’t mean they can’t injure someone.

But Harbaugh says it’s on defensive linemen to protect themselves.

“It’s the defender’s responsibility to not hold the center and keep him from getting up on the linebacker the center’s trying to block and expose himself,” Harbaugh said. “It’s his job to let that guy go and to defend himself. So, when you choose to keep that center off the linebacker, you’re choosing to leave yourself vulnerable to being cut in front. So, just play defense, I would say.”

I have a feeling that’s not an explanation that will satisfy the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 0-ethical/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/16/harbaugh-calls-ravens-blocking-100-legal-100-ethical/)

RuthlessBurgher
09-17-2011, 10:33 AM
“It’s the defender’s responsibility to not hold the center and keep him from getting up on the linebacker the center’s trying to block and expose himself,” Harbaugh said. “It’s his job to let that guy go and to defend himself. So, when you choose to keep that center off the linebacker, you’re choosing to leave yourself vulnerable to being cut in front. So, just play defense, I would say.”

It’s the defender’s responsibility to not hold the center and keep him from getting up on the linebacker? :wft

It's certainly not the center's responsibility to not hold the defender and keep him from getting up on the quarterback. :wft :wft

DukieBoy
09-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Harbaugh calls Ravens’ blocking “100% legal, 100% ethical”

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 16, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/johnharbaughreutersaug11.jpg?w=250

Ravens coach John Harbaugh doesn’t appreciate the Steelers calling his offensive line dirty.

Responding to comments from the Steelers that the Ravens were taking dirty shots at their knees, Harbaugh vehemently defended his players and coaches.

“The blocking scheme that’s come up this week is one that almost every team in the National Football League runs,” Harbaugh said. “We’ve been running it for years. Some teams do it better than other teams. The block is absolutely legal. It’s 100 percent legal, and it’s 100 percent ethical, and there is no danger whatsoever in the way the block is being executed because it’s in front.”

Harbaugh is right that the blocks the Steelers were complaining about are legal, but claiming “there is no danger whatsoever” seems to be taking it too far. Just because the blocks are allowed doesn’t mean they can’t injure someone.

But Harbaugh says it’s on defensive linemen to protect themselves.

I have a feeling that’s not an explanation that will satisfy the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 0-ethical/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/16/harbaugh-calls-ravens-blocking-100-legal-100-ethical/)

It's not about Truth with Harbaugh, it's about Team. Ends justify the means thinking. Not saying he's at all unique in that regard.

fezziwig
09-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Harbaugh seems like an ego slime ball to me. Where does this team keep getting them from ? Are there that many rocks in Baltimore ?

Anyway, less said best said about the cheap shots. It all sounds like sour grapes after you have your asses handed to you in a game. They were better off just asking the NFL to look over the game film. Despite the results of their findings it, would still be the same results without the Steeler players bitching about it and looking like poor sports.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Harbaugh is a puke.

He always has an excuse when they lose...which is most of the time against the Steelers.

Let him enjoy this one......they still aren't doing d ick come January.

hawaiiansteel
09-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Countering cut blocks isn’t rocket science

Posted by Mike Florio on September 17, 2011

This week, an unexpected controversy erupted regarding the use of cut blocks by the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers complained that the Ravens were engaged in illegal chop blocks that the officials didn’t penalize in Week One. Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said that his team will essentially fight fire with fire, looking for a way to “hurt” the Ravens who hit defensive linemen low.

Blocking a defender who already is engaged, as we explained and as Ravens coach John Harbaugh confirmed Friday, becomes illegal only when the offensive linemen performing the maneuver weren’t lined up next to each other at the snap. Harbaugh defended his team’s tactics, and presumably the Ravens have no plan to stop using cut blocks.

So what should defenders do to deal with the tactic? The smart approach is to push to the ground the offensive lineman who is coming in low, and who is likely off balance. Since the guy engaging the defender high typically is looking to peel off and head to the next level, a defender who can deflect the cut block could end up being completely unblocked.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rex_ryan_tattoo_1-e1312392067214.jpg?w=250

As explained during Friday’s PFT Live, Jets coach Rex Ryan has used what he calls a “big ball drill.” The exercise, done throughout training camp and periodically thereafter, entails pushing a large ball into the legs of defensive linemen as they try to stay on their feet and simultaneously push the ball away. It worked so well during Ryan’s time as defensive coordinator of the Ravens in preparing linemen to face teams that use cut/zone blocking that Ryan proclaimed he should seek a patent on the technique.

Bottom line? It’s not as big of an issue as the Steelers and Titans have made it out to be. And the best way to deal with the situation isn’t to complain about it, but to find a way to overcome it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-science/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/17/countering-cut-blocks-isnt-rocket-science/)

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 10:21 AM
The Titans, that's the pot calling the Kettle black. When Fischer was their coach anything went with his team.

Better call Goodell so he can back our Steelers on this one :roll:

Eich
09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
If it's legal and ethical, then just do it to the Rats next time.

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 10:51 AM
If it's legal and ethical, then just do it to the Rats next time.

:lol: :Clap :Clap

Ghost
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
According to Mike Pereira today, the Ravens are correct. It was not illegal because the linemen involved were lined up next to each other. It's just when you have a man engaged and player, not a lineman next to the original blocker comes in low. If it's the center and the guard it is legal

Daryl Johnston commented how he thought it was weak and you need to take a man on one on one.

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I heard that too Ghost and to me an injury is an injury despite the letter of the law. When in Rome, the Steeler should do the same thing if that is how they intend to attack our guys.

SteelTorch
09-18-2011, 08:06 PM
"But Harbaugh says it’s on defensive linemen to protect themselves."

But it's not on a quarterback to protect themselves?

:wft

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Kovacevic: Defense rebounds, work remains

By Dejan Kovacevic, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 19, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1324491/37804103E.jpg

The Baltimore blueprint for beating the Steelers' defense — Neutralize the Linebackers 101 — will be mimicked enough that John Harbaugh should have it copyrighted. The Ravens, for those who already blocked it out, took away the linemen with semi-controversial chop blocks, forced the inside linebackers to drop into pass coverage and kept a fullback close to fend off blitzes. The cumulative effect was that the linebackers had little freedom to operate and other areas of the defense were exposed.

The Seahawks attempted somewhat feebly to do the same, but the Steelers never let it matter.

Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau, in the surprise of the day, pretty much abandoned the blitz for the first three quarters. The Steelers still shifted the outside linebackers back and forth and — finally — moved Polamalu back closer to the line of scrimmage, but most of the heat had to come from the defensive line. That's exactly what veterans Keisel, Smith and Casey Hampton brought, thus freeing up the linebackers.

"It was about as simple as you get, and I don't think Seattle saw that coming," Keisel said, grinning through the beard. "Coach LeBeau's got a pretty good poker face."

It helped, too, that LeBeau and defensive line coach John Mitchell spent much of the week working with those linemen on fending off chop blocks.

"We were ready for it this time," nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "You have to have a lot of movement, a lot of left-right, and you've got to bounce right back up once you do get cut."

More of that is on the way. The NFL is a copycat league, and the Steelers can expect to see it again next Sunday in Indianapolis, then again and again.

No one will — or should — be dissuaded because the Seahawks failed.

"Yeah, they tried," Woodley said. "We know that's going to continue. People will keep looking at the Baltimore film. But that correction's been made."

Has it?

That comment might have been the closest to any lack of humility in the Steelers' locker room, and it's unfounded: The defense's next interception will be its first. So will its next fumble recovery. And four of the five sacks yesterday came in the fourth quarter, when the Seahawks were heaving up prayers.

This was OK. This was, as Mike Tomlin called it, "appropriate" in light of what came before.

Expect the Colts to give that blueprint another go.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1YPbNZBSB (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_757501.html#ixzz1YPbNZBSB)

Eich
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
According to Mike Pereira today, the Ravens are correct. It was not illegal because the linemen involved were lined up next to each other. It's just when you have a man engaged and player, not a lineman next to the original blocker comes in low. If it's the center and the guard it is legal

Daryl Johnston commented how he thought it was weak and you need to take a man on one on one.

Tony Siragusa also essentially called bull$hit to Pereira's face, saying its dangerous and should be illegal and the rule needs to be changed now. I was surprised that he was essentially calling the rats low class by employing the technique.