PDA

View Full Version : What I saw on Sunday...

Blitz-en
09-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I rarely post, but in the spirit of frustration that we are all experiencing, I thought I'd comment. I haven't heard too much analysis of this game other than the proverbial "we sucked" and finger pointing. Which, is correct.

Some thoughts:

- I would like to see three speed burner receivers like Wallace, Sanders and Brown catching the ball in stride. I don't know why they would consistently run curl and out patterns with these 3 guys and stunt their ability to make something happen with the ball in their hands. Hines is the curl and out guy. Hit the other three on slants and posts.

- Offensive line looked like they were not prepared. Baltimore would show 6 and rush 4. Steelers had 5 offensive linemen to block...........but only 3 were blocking somebody! Very bad recognition and communication on their part. Also, almost every empty backfield resulted in a sack or hurry. But, I digress to a common Arians play call that we've seen for too many years now.

- Defense was over-pursuing. We've seen this at times in year's past. First game, every body is a little pumped up to make a big play, so they forget about their gap integrity. But, jeez, can we make an adjustment during the game at some point?

- Mendenhall has run very good at times in his short career. But, sometimes he needs to realize that he's not Eric Pegram here. If there's nothing there, put your head down and get back to the line of scrimmage. He danced more and more as the game went on. And, a professional team should have somebody on staff that can teach this kid how to protect the ball when he runs. He looks like he doesn't want the ball to touch his side when he runs!!

- Ben. I'm a full supporter of his play throughout his career. But, those two interceptions were as bad as I've seen from any QB. Just complete and total lack of focus. Very disturbing.

- The obvious: We've seen this a few times over the last few years, too. A team taking the field that seems to be completely ill-prepared for the task at hand, with little or no focus. Tomlin has done a great job in his coaching career in Pittsburgh, but what is the reason for these games where his team is just not ready to play?

That is all. Thanks for reading. Would love to hear any feedback.

steelblood
09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Nice Post!

I agree that hitting players in stride and more rhythm passes (a la New England and Green Bay) would help us tremendously and mask our deficiencies on the o-line. We have quick receivers; let's use them. Those quick screens over and over also get old.

rockonsteel
09-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Nice Post!

I agree that hitting players in stride and more rhythm passes (a la New England and Green Bay) would help us tremendously and mask our deficiencies on the o-line. We have quick receivers let's use them. Those quick screens over and over also get old.

That would require an offensive coordinator that has a clue as to what he's doing. Unfortunately, we have to settle for DumBruce. As long as he's the OC, we will have to deal with minimum efficiency on offense. You would think with all the speed they put on the field at WR, they would adjust the game plan to attack the seams like the Pack and Pats do. But, not your boy. He's so much smarter than everybody else in the room, he's gonna get that square peg into that round, dammit! Just you wait and see! He'll show you all!!! :stirpot

Rockon

fezziwig
09-14-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't know why Ben doesn't do any dump off passes when the rush is on. Give the defense something to think about when they are in pursuit.
Ben does n't throw the screens, seldom utilizes the tightends.

How many times you see a defensive player almost look like he is ready to sack a QB only, to have the QB lob a pass to his runningback that usually gains them the needed yards and then some.

Suggs or any defender never needs to give thought of hesitation when rushing Ben because they know he will either stand there and take the sack or that Ben is always looking down field before Ben ever consideres dumping the ball off.

I probably blame this on Arians than Ben because Arians should, I said should, have enough coaching smarts to adjust to what the defense is doing. As much as Lebeau needs called on the carpet, so does Arians because, I believe Arians has more weapons than DL does. Less a crappy offense of line of course but, all the more reasons to do some dump passes.

Also, Mendenhall didn't look bad to me with the run game and never, never does Arians cool a defense down with the run game.

I hope this loss becomes a wake up call to the Steelers about, your never as good as you think you are and there is a bullseye on their back with all their past success. With your past success they need to realize it's harder work to stay on top than to get on top.

I think our players have lost the eye of the tiger or the hard meat and potato type work and grind that it takes to beat a team like the Ravens.

The Ravens live and breath trying to beat the Steelers when, the Steeler I believe feel, they are automatically going to win with the routine XYZ ambitions.

Also I wanted to put out there, I really didn't think McFadden had poor coverage on the TD pass that Flacco had thrown. McFadden has been hurt, the o-line is almost new again with Scott, Colon, Legursky. Harrison is not the Harrison he should be and Aaron Smith is not the same either.

The Steelers got punched in their mouths and never recovered.

The more I think about this I blame 20% on the players and 80% of the loss on the coaches.

I really wouldn't feel too bad about the loss hadn't it been the first game of the season. I say this because, for some reason the odds of making the playoffs, getting to the Super Bowl and winning the Super Bowl are almost like winning the lottery.

I'm hoping that the Steelers are a better team than the other teams that lost their opening games that have created the low percentages.

i'm sure we are better than what showed up last Sunday.

I'm not saying we gave the game away because we got trashed.

I do see or hope these Steelers get their wake up call.

NorCal-Steeler
09-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Like i tell the 49er & Raider fans here in Cali, its not where you start the season its where you end it. One game, we'll win the home game and the playoff game.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Blitz-en,

You ought to post more often. You made some excellent points.

--Agreed, we need to get the quick receivers running more slants and posts. We also need to get Heath Miller more involved in the passing game--we're wasting one of the best weapons we have.

--O-line looked extremely unprepared. When Kemo looks like the best of the bunch, you know you're in trouble. It can't have helped to have lost our two best tackles. We should have kept Flozell around for another season. The events of this summer lead me to believe we don't know what we're doing at RG.

--Defensive over-pursuit was due to lack of preparation as well. I expect the coaches have addressed it this week in the meetings.

--Agreed about Mendy. He's the one who should be on Dancing With the Stars. Steelers need to get Redman more involved in the running game. Maybe we would have if we hadn't gotten in the hole so early.

--I have no idea what Ben was thinking on those two throws. And what happened to the no-huddle we were supposedly working so hard to perfect?

--All we heard through the lockout was what an advantage the Steelers would have because of all our veteran players...I think Tomlin may have bought into that notion and, as a result, made camp easier than he should have. Consequently, his players weren't ready.

grotonsteel
09-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Great Post..!!

Agree on all the points.

Those two throws by Ben in end zone were just bad. I have not seen Ben miss target so badly when throwing on run.

RuthlessBurgher
09-15-2011, 10:27 AM
I really wouldn't feel too bad about the loss hadn't it been the first game of the season. I say this because, for some reason the odds of making the playoffs, getting to the Super Bowl and winning the Super Bowl are almost like winning the lottery.

I'd be happy if I had a 1-in-32 chance of hitting the Powerball jackpot each year. :wink:

Blitz-en
09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks all. It's nice to hear some of you have the same questions that I do while watching the games.

I'm not a Ben hater, at all. But, I do think that he tends to look off open receivers to find the homerun too often. Obviously, that works for him at times. But, as mentioned by a couple of you, Heath Miller is severely under-utilized in the pass game. As well, the RB's are not involved at all in the pass game. If those aspects were utilized, it would keep linebackers closer to the line of scrimmage in their zone coverage......opening up longer crossing routes/post patterns for our speedy receivers.

Our passing attack has always been: long routes, WR's running to a spot and stopping, Ben scrambling around waiting for extreme separation before firing. When I've seen Ben in the 2 minute offense, trusting his reads and receivers, he's very accurate and typically makes the right decisions. But, in the normal flow of the offense, he looks constantly for the big hit. It's a blessing and a curse. He'd be better served to pick and choose his opportunities.

I do like Mendenhall, his quickness and elusive running. He drives me nuts with how he holds the ball. It reminds me of Tiki Barber early in his career. In other words, IT CAN BE FIXED, if somebody would just fix it!

I think we'll see a much better team this weekend. The problem to me is, if it happened once, it can happen again. The leadership on this team needs to stay consistent with the focus of the team.

Dee Dub
09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I rarely post, but in the spirit of frustration that we are all experiencing, I thought I'd comment. I haven't heard too much analysis of this game other than the proverbial "we sucked" and finger pointing. Which, is correct.

Some thoughts:

- I would like to see three speed burner receivers like Wallace, Sanders and Brown catching the ball in stride. I don't know why they would consistently run curl and out patterns with these 3 guys and stunt their ability to make something happen with the ball in their hands. Hines is the curl and out guy. Hit the other three on slants and posts.

- Offensive line looked like they were not prepared. Baltimore would show 6 and rush 4. Steelers had 5 offensive linemen to block...........but only 3 were blocking somebody! Very bad recognition and communication on their part. Also, almost every empty backfield resulted in a sack or hurry. But, I digress to a common Arians play call that we've seen for too many years now.

- Defense was over-pursuing. We've seen this at times in year's past. First game, every body is a little pumped up to make a big play, so they forget about their gap integrity. But, jeez, can we make an adjustment during the game at some point?

- Mendenhall has run very good at times in his short career. But, sometimes he needs to realize that he's not Eric Pegram here. If there's nothing there, put your head down and get back to the line of scrimmage. He danced more and more as the game went on. And, a professional team should have somebody on staff that can teach this kid how to protect the ball when he runs. He looks like he doesn't want the ball to touch his side when he runs!!

- Ben. I'm a full supporter of his play throughout his career. But, those two interceptions were as bad as I've seen from any QB. Just complete and total lack of focus. Very disturbing.

- The obvious: We've seen this a few times over the last few years, too. A team taking the field that seems to be completely ill-prepared for the task at hand, with little or no focus. Tomlin has done a great job in his coaching career in Pittsburgh, but what is the reason for these games where his team is just not ready to play?

Blitz-en, I like what you have to say here. Really I do....however...how is this any different than the finger pointing that you say has been going on here in the forum?

Thoughts, opinions, feedback, and analyses should be welcomed here without any type of criticism or attacks. Unfortunately that isnt the case. This is a discussion forum and whether one is right, wrong, or talking out the side of their necks, they shouldn't be treated as if they are wrong for doing so.

Just my my two cents.

Blitz-en
09-15-2011, 12:55 PM
[quote="Blitz-en":11viubus]I rarely post, but in the spirit of frustration that we are all experiencing, I thought I'd comment. I haven't heard too much analysis of this game other than the proverbial "we sucked" and finger pointing. Which, is correct.

Some thoughts:

Blitz-en, I like what you have to say here. Really I do....however...how is this any different than the finger pointing that you say has been going on here in the forum?

Thoughts, opinions, feedback, and analyses should be welcomed here without any type of criticism or attacks. Unfortunately that isnt the case. This is a discussion forum and whether one is right, wrong, or talking out the side of their necks, they shouldn't be treated as if they are wrong for doing so.

Just my my two cents.[/quote:11viubus]

Haha, Dee Dub. Funny enough, I was thinking about the same thing as I wrote that original post...........that I was teetering on the hypocrisy totter! It is difficult to analyze the team without appearing to point the finger. So, I agree to your point. I suppose I was commenting more towards the extremes......the "Ben Sucks" threads and the "Tomlin is an overpaid Janitor" threads.

In all, I trust and have great respect for Pittsburgh's organization, coaches and players. I do not think they were at their finest on Sunday, like many others here. And, people have the right to say whatever they want. I prefer actual football analysis over the rant-type comments, that's all. Emotions after a killing like Sunday are difficult to contain. I get that.

No offense taken by your comments, I agree with them.

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Where Do the Steelers Go From Here?

by Ivan Cole (RickVa) on Sep 14, 2011

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1904913/505668672_extra_large.jpg

As Dale Lolley and others have mentioned this was pretty much a must win game for the Ravens. While a win doesn’t really guarantee them anything, a loss could have conceivably cost them the season. It would have certainly put them in a very unenviable chase position for at least half the season and possibly into the playoffs. In addition, their resentment of the Steelers is both real and understandable. The schedule makers provided Baltimore with the luxury to focus exclusively upon their nemesis, literally for months. As for the Steelers it was just an opportunity; a chance to put the Ravens into a big hole early on, to land yet one more body blow to that team’s confidence. As we have witnessed, that, unfortunately, was insufficient motivation.

But what I have found really interesting in the wake of this embarrassment is what the debacle has revealed in the reaction of others. As some of you know, I live in Northern Virginia near Washington DC. I am a proud Steeler fan but not even close to being either overly demonstrative about my loyalties, and certainly nowhere near to being obnoxious or overbearing about my team. Yet, for the past two days people, a lot of people, have literally gone out of their way to let me hear about the loss; sometimes good naturedly, occasionally with what could only be interpreted as satisfaction that I and, by extension, we the team and the Nation, had (finally?) received our comeuppance.

"What happened to your Steelers? Got your asses kicked, huh."

You may have also noticed how the Ravens reacted as the game was winding down. You would have thought that this was Super Bowl 46, not the opening game of the 2011 season. And while I don’t want to make too big a deal out of it, it didn’t escape my notice that Baltimore was going for two point conversions and such after they had a three score lead. Seemed to me that just beating Pittsburgh was hardly enough, they were looking for humiliation.

And I think they went a bit too far.

To beat a team soundly is not a problem. These are professionals, and as the saying goes, it’s their job to score and ours to stop them. But when you openly and actively seek to rub the other team’s face in it…well, there are limits to professionalism. Perhaps we all underestimated the depths of the resentment harbored by the Ravens (as well as all those folks, some of whom I consider friends who have attempted to rub my face in it). I, for one, was perfectly fine with the extracurricular activity involving Ike, Hines, Mike Wallace, Willie Colon, Maurkice and, especially, Troy.

Now I don’t know if this game moved the needle in any significant way given the fact that the two teams allegedly pretty much hate each other’s guts to begin with. But it has definitely had an impact on me. I never much liked the Ravens, but it never rose to the level of hatred that I felt for the Oakland Raiders in the 70s.

Now it has.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if what is already recognized as one of the meanest rivalries in sport doesn’t uptick a couple of notches to thermo-nuclear. From my perspective when someone like Troy Polomalu starts rolling around on the ground fighting people, things have fundamentally changed. This is beyond the understandable frustrations of a poor performance.

Usually I don’t get into hating. I would prefer to leave it to the professionals like Mechem. This is not because I’m squeamish about hate. To the contrary, when I sink to hating I really, really hate. Younger fans may not understand this, but I’m sure that those who remember the 70s Steelers can relate when I say that I HATE the Oakland Raiders. Notice that I did not use the past tense, because this type of hate is eternal.

Now, let me repeat, I’ve never been crazy about the Ravens. But a team that last went to the Super Bowl over a decade ago, a team that has won very few games of significance over the Steelers during the past several years can only be taken but so seriously. Well, congratulations Baltimore, you have gotten my attention. You won’t hear me say "I hate the Ravens and they stank." (I believe that’s trademarked anyway). That’s not necessarily how I roll. Nor do I expect the Steelers to say anything more about this game, now or ever. This has moved way past conversation.

We’ve talked before about ‘chips’. This one is potentially a redwood. Time will tell. As for the competitive aspect of the season, it’s too early to panic. But of course that is exactly what some will do. Don’t pay attention to the Seahawk game unless we lose. They simply are not good enough to be provide a useful yardstick against which this team can be measured. In fact, my advice would be to withhold judgment until, oh, November 7th. I think we’ll have a very good idea of where the Steelers are going after that game.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/14/2425591/nfl-week-2-previews-steelers-seahawks#storyjump)

NorthCoast
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
God almighty people....it was the first freakin game of the season! The Steelers spanked B-more to hight heaven last season....dashed all of their hopes for a Superbowl run. The Steelers know it is nearly impossible to defeat an opponent 2 or even 3 times in a season, especially a team as good as the Ravens.
Why not let them have this win? Blow off steam, then trample them when it counts at the end? No one cares if you win by 3 or 35 by the end of the season. It's all about the post season, and the Steelers have shown a consistent ability to right the ship and get into the post season more often than not.
Disappointing game?...yes. But we go into every game expecting a win, so any loss is a disappointment. Don't you think this loss will factor into a motivation in the rematch later?....I actually like the way things have worked out....

Blitz-en
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I hate to re-post something from a week ago, but I thought the Steelers offense did a much better job of hitting those young talented receivers in stride this week. I liked that Ben was willing to check down a bit.

There's still more things they can do better, but I'm okay with steadily getting better throughout the year, hitting their strided at the end of the season.

Anyway, if I am going to criticize when they do things badly, I wanted to state when they did things well, too. Still some work to do.

NWNewell
09-19-2011, 01:10 PM
[quote="Blitz-en":2l0jrr8g]I rarely post, but in the spirit of frustration that we are all experiencing, I thought I'd comment. I haven't heard too much analysis of this game other than the proverbial "we sucked" and finger pointing. Which, is correct.

Some thoughts:

Just my my two cents.[/quote:2l0jrr8g]

It is the difference between constructive criticisms and specific insights versus destructive criticisms and "sky is falling" pessimism.

The later seems to run ramped after every lose. And it comes off as ignorant and very annoying.

While I don't completely agree with everything Blitz-en said at face value, I welcome his perspective and appreciate his approach to his post.

Stewie
09-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Doesn't this answer the initial question about the burners going deep?

Mike Wallace is arguably the best deep threat in the pass-happy NFL, maybe even more so than DeSean Jackson of the Philadelphia Eagles.

He led the league with 10 receptions of 40 yards or longer, was second with 17 catches of 25 yards or longer and led the AFC with an average of 21 yards per catch in 2010. Eight of his 10 touchdown catches were 39 yards or longer.

Opposing teams, though, are finally beginning to heed what everyone has been told for years -- speed kills.

In an attempt to prevent the deep pass, cornerbacks are starting to back off Wallace, the Steelers' third-year receiver, as though he has bad breath. Drive-through restaurants can be built in the area between Wallace and the closest cornerback anymore.

"Defensive backs in this league, by nature, they have to be very cocky," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "They think they're the fastest, they're the best, and when they see Mike on film, they think, 'Oh, he might have run by that guy, but he's not going to run by me. I'm too fast.' Then he gets in the game and finds out this guy can run by me. He's as fast as advertised. So they're backing off."

Not only that, opposing teams are rotating a safety toward Wallace and playing more two-deep coverage in attempt to take away the big play -- something the Seattle Seahawks will probably try to do today at Heinz Field with safety Earl Thomas, their version of Troy Polamalu.

Thomas had a team-high five interceptions in 2010, tying a club record for most by a rookie.

It has been that way since last year's postseason, and the numbers bear out the preventive defensive approach.

Wallace has 21 catches for 222 yards in the past four games, dating to the end of the 2010 regular season, an average of just 10.57 yards per catch -- nearly 101/2 yards fewer than his AFC-leading average. What's more, his longest catch in those four games is 26 yards.

"Teams are starting to play cover-two to that side, and they're not pressing him as much as they want to," said veteran Hines Ward. "His speed alone is a threat. That's what makes him dangerous. You can't teach speed. You can't teach that."

The Steelers are trying to counter that approach by getting Wallace involved in a different manner -- throwing him quick screens and slants to give him a chance to make plays after the catch.

That's what happened last week in Baltimore when Wallace caught eight passes for 107 yards -- his fourth consecutive 100-yard receiving game in the regular season, dating to last season. Wallace's longest catch-and-run was 26 yards.

"If they do that, we can still convert a lot of short passes," Wallace said, referring to the deep coverage teams have been employing. "I don't feel like we're doing anything different. We're still running our plays, but I have different signals on different plays to break off routes and do different things, according to the coverage. I just do that, catch short passes and try to make some yards after the catch."

Said Ward, "He didn't catch any bombs, but he had enough catches where he was still making plays on the field and affecting the game."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11261/11 ... z1YHJxH3uP