PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Work Out Jamon Meredith and Ray Willis, OT

phillyesq
09-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Per Scott Brown from the Trib.

I remember Meredith being a guy that there was some discussion of before. Either the Steelers brought him in for a predraft workout or he was a topic of predraft discussion. I think he was cut by the Bills and Packers, not sure of the order.

Ray Willis was apparently a starter for the Seahawks in 2008-09, but missed 2010 with a knee injury.

In any event, it appears that the Steelers are going with Gilbert and just looking for depth at OT, not a starter.

Oviedo
09-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I remember Meredith being a guy that there was some discussion of before. Either the Steelers brought him in for a predraft workout or he was a topic of predraft discussion. I think he was cut by the Bills and Packers, not sure of the order.

Ray Willis was apparently a starter for the Seahawks in 2008-09, but missed 2010 with a knee injury.

In any event, it appears that the Steelers are going with Gilbert and just looking for depth at OT, not a starter.

I think it is smart that they go with what they know. Anyone they bring in won't be ready to play or they would already be playing.

isonator07
09-13-2011, 03:37 PM

I think it is smart that they go with what they know. Anyone they bring in won't be ready to play or they would already be playing.

Why are OL not ready to play? I'm not doubting what you say, I hear it said all the time. I mean Bryant Mckinnie came in and didn't miss a beat. I know the terminology might change from team to team but I would think the technique would be fairly similar. You gotta make holes on run plays and keep your QB clean on passing plays. I'll be the first to admit I know very little when it comes to OL but it just seems like other teams can fill holes on the line easier then we can.

Lebsteel
09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Where did Tony Hills end up? Sofa or did someone pick him up? Just checked, I guess Denver got him. Urbik is the starting RG for Buffalo. Did he vastly improve or is their line even worse than ours?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
They put Colon on IR and signed Meredith.

papillon
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM

Two consecutive years on the IR for Colon and we just signed him long term, that sucks.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
09-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Two consecutive years on the IR for Colon and we just signed him long term, that sucks.

Pappy
:Agree

Lebsteel
09-13-2011, 03:58 PM
You must get your text updates quicker than I do...Meredith still seems a little light at 312 lbs. He was really hyped, so I wonder what the knock on him is? Info from NFL.com

Athletic enough to serve as the starting left tackle for a Steve Spurrier offense, NFL scouts are scouting Meredith closely, especially when you factor in his wacky senior season. Suspended by the NCAA for the first two games of the 2008 season -- Meredith was granted a medical redshirt for the 2004 season despite playing against Vanderbilt -- Meredith came back to find that sophomore Jarriel King had emerged as his replacement at left tackle, moving Meredith inside to left guard. Meredith started eight games while fighting an ankle injury, but scouts like the way he took to the new position. Athletic and experienced at every position along the offensive line (except center), Meredith has the tools worthy of development and could compete for NFL playing time as a versatile swingman. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 inches at the combine.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Some pre-draft info on Meredith from NFL.com:

Jamon Meredith
Height:6'5"
Weight:304 lbs.
College:South Carolina
Conference:SEC
Hometown:Simpsonville, SC
High School:Hillcrest
Position:OT

Athletic enough to serve as the starting left tackle for a Steve Spurrier offense, NFL scouts are scouting Meredith closely, especially when you factor in his wacky senior season. Suspended by the NCAA for the first two games of the 2008 season -- Meredith was granted a medical redshirt for the 2004 season despite playing against Vanderbilt -- Meredith came back to find that sophomore Jarriel King had emerged as his replacement at left tackle, moving Meredith inside to left guard. Meredith started eight games while fighting an ankle injury, but scouts like the way he took to the new position. Athletic and experienced at every position along the offensive line (except center), Meredith has the tools worthy of development and could compete for NFL playing time as a versatile swingman. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 inches at the combine.

Positives: Good height with long arms and an athletic build, typical of top-tier left tackles. ... Adequate punch, and will extend his arms and get his hands on the numbers to keep defenders at bay. ... Gets to linebackers at the second level very well and hits the moving target. ... Able to adjust to oncoming defenders in space. ... Positions himself to seal the edge using quick feet and good hand placement. ... Can cut-block defensive ends on his side to give the quarterback a lane on quick throws.

Negatives: A bit slow to move his feet at times, relying on his length too much. ... Other times he drops back too far, allowing the end to twist inside untouched. ... Plays a bit tall in pass protection. ... Struggles to reach down to block to the guard when he doesn't explode from his stance. ... Could sustain blocks better in space.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2009/01/23/21/763-merdethumb.highlight_medium.prod_affiliate.74.jpg http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/338/slideshow_33851/display_image.jpg?x=852902

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Meredith still seems a little light at 312 lbs. He was really hyped, so I wonder what the knock on him is?

"Dandy" Jamon Meredith played for our current OL coach Sean Kugler while in Buffalo.

Bills Cut Jamon Meredith

Posted on October 4, 2010 by Patrick Moran

As reported last Friday, Jamon Meredith’s days as a Buffalo Bill were likely nearing an end. Sources said that Chan Gailey grew tired of Meredith’s inconsistency and promoted rookie Cordaro Howard past him on the team’s depth chart. After being inactive the past two games, Meredith has been released from the team all together.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills ... -meredith/ (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/bills-cut-jamon-meredith/)

and:

Pittsburgh Steelers Sign T Jamon Meredith, Place Colon On IR

by Neal Coolong on Sep 13, 2011

The Steelers have officially placed RT Willie Colon on Injured Reserve after his surgery Tuesday. The team announced the signing of former Bills T Jamon Meredith.

Along with the immediate christening of the nickname "Dandy" Jamon Meredith, he will wear No. 69, and is the second offensive lineman in two seasons to sign with Pittsburgh who played with Buffalo in 2009. Former Bills and current Steelers offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, had both Meredith and current starting LT Jonathan Scott, that season.

Meredith made four starts in his rookie year in Buffalo after Green Bay had drafted him in the fifth round, only to release him at the end of training camp.

He was released from Buffalo in 2010, and played for a spell with the Giants before being released.

The move makes sense in that he has some game experience, and has played under his new position coach previously. Apparently made enough of an impression on Kugler and the Steelers despite not having been on a team since Week 13 of last year.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/13/2423488/pittsburgh-steelers-sign-jamon-meredith-colon-on-ir-injured-reserve#storyjump)

Chadman
09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I liked Meredith coming out of college, so it's interesting to see him end up here. From memory, wasn't he extraordinarily strong?

In many ways, grabbing Meredith is kinda exciting- now we have 2 OT's that are young & have plenty of potential. I expect that Essex will become the back-up OT & Meredith behind him, but down the track, this may not be a bad signing, if Kugs can get at him.

insanesteelersfan
09-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Some pre-draft info on Meredith from NFL.com:

Jamon Meredith
Height:6'5"
Weight:304 lbs.
College:South Carolina
Conference:SEC
Hometown:Simpsonville, SC
High School:Hillcrest
Position:OT

Positives: Good height with long arms and an athletic build, typical of top-tier left tackles. ... Adequate punch, and will extend his arms and get his hands on the numbers to keep defenders at bay. ... Gets to linebackers at the second level very well and hits the moving target. ... Able to adjust to oncoming defenders in space. ... Positions himself to seal the edge using quick feet and good hand placement. ... Can cut-block defensive ends on his side to give the quarterback a lane on quick throws.

Negatives: A bit slow to move his feet at times, relying on his length too much. ... Other times he drops back too far, allowing the end to twist inside untouched. ... Plays a bit tall in pass protection. ... Struggles to reach down to block to the guard when he doesn't explode from his stance. ... Could sustain blocks better in space.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2009/01/23/21/763-merdethumb.highlight_medium.prod_affiliate.74.jpg http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/338/slideshow_33851/display_image.jpg?x=852902

This guy totally SUCKS! No wonder the steelers stupid management signed him. He is a nobody. Hell he gave up like 40 sacks in 10 games in college :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A PERFECT Steelers linemen.

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 09:12 PM
This guy totally SUCKS! No wonder the steelers stupid management signed him. He is a nobody. Hell he gave up like 40 sacks in 10 games in college

if you're just gonna make up numbers, why go with only 40 sacks in 10 games? it would sound so much more dramatic if you went with something like:

"Hell he gave up like a gazillion-trillion sacks in 10 games in college.

http://fusible.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dr-evil-gazillion-trillion-300x241.jpg

pittpete
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
You really have to lay off the meth bro :Blah

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Meredith has the flexibilty the Steelers like. He look better at G in college in my opinion and showed good ability on the move. At the Senior Bowl, scouts said he looked to have more upside inside if he got bigger or found the right fit. I'm sure Koogs had some input on the signing. Seeing the progress Koogs has made with the OL on the roster...I'm optimistic he could make something out of him. He isn't a replacement at this point...Just depth.

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I liked Meredith coming out of college, so it's interesting to see him end up here. From memory, wasn't he extraordinarily strong?

Jamon Meredith ran the second fastest 40 of all offensive lineman and out benched every left tackle prospect except for Jason Smith...Meredith definitely has impressive measurables.

you just gotta wonder why so many teams have already given up on him...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/244/slideshow_24441/display_image.jpg?x=84840

BradshawsHairdresser
09-15-2011, 08:56 AM
So the big knock on him is that he's inconsistent?

He ought to fit right in. :lol: