PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Gilbert to RT

Jooser
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
per Steelers.com

Colon has surgery, Gilbert to play
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 30 minutes ago

aaSteelers tackle Willie Colon underwent surgery on Tuesday morning for a torn triceps muscle suffered against the Baltimore Ravens.

“He is going to be out for an extended period of time to say the least, probable IR, we haven’t made that determination yet,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We’re going to let him come out of recovery and those things before we proceed.”

This is the second year that Colon suffered what could be a season-ending injury. Last year Colon missed the season with an Achilles injury suffered during the offseason.

“Needless to say it’s a personal blow for Willie Colon,” said Tomlin. “We are saddened for him. For Willie, going down two consecutive seasons is a tough blow. We’ll keep him close and encourage him and help him through what I am sure if going to be a tough time with rehab and so forth. More than anything Willie is a guy that loves to play the game of football and he won’t be given an opportunity to do that.

“For us we acknowledge that this is a natural part of the game of football. Things like this along the journey happen. As a football team we’ll do what football teams do of course, the next man up will move on and we’ll expect him to play to the same standard.”

That next person will be second-round pick Marcus Gilbert, who was drafted to play the left tackle position. Tomlin also said he will bring in some tackles to look at for a back-up role.
“We like where he is. He has performed well for us,” said Tomlin of Gilbert. “He is a talented young guy, doesn’t have a great deal of experience. We’re going to give him an opportunity to play and show what he is capable of.”

There ya have it.

steeler_george
09-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Can he play RG and LT tackle too?

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see what this kid could do there.

sentinel33
09-13-2011, 02:00 PM
All I'm asking is for him to come in and play as well as Flozell did. That will be fine for me in his rookie year.

And if Legursky doesn't show in the Seahawks game, then put Foster back. The team did fine while he was in there. Never really understood the switch. I like Legursky. He's a great effort guy and that can sometimes be enough in this league. But I don't know why Foster lost the starting gig. I just want the best guy for the job. That appeared to be Foster. At least last year anyway. -insight?-

Lookin' forward to seein' what Gilbert can bring to the table.

steelblood
09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
As well as Flozell? that might be hoping for a little much. this kid has been getting most of his work at LT and is raw. He is going to make mistakes. But, hopefully he will improve during this softer portion of the schedule and can be hitting his stride in a few weeks.

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Steelers rookie Gilbert gets nod at right tackle

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 13, 2011

With Willie Colon out for the season, the Steelers will turn to a rookie at right tackle.

Marcus Gilbert will make his first career start Sunday when the Seattle Seahawks visit Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game.

Gilbert, a second-round pick in April, takes over for Willie Colon, who had surgery this morning to repair a torn triceps.

The Steelers have placed Colon on injured reserve and signed offensive tackle Jamon Meredith.

Meredith worked out for the Steelers today along with veteran Ray Willis. The 6-5, 312-pounder started four games for the Bills in 2009, when he was in Buffalo with Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler.

Meredith's signing rules out the Steelers bringing back Flozell Adams or Max Starks to fill the void left by Colon's second season-ending injury in as many years.

Gilbert has been playing primarily at left tackle, but the Steelers like the progress the former University of Florida standout has made following a slow start to training camp.

"He's shown he's not a fish out of water," Tomlin said. "We like his pedigree. He's a talented guy."

In other injury news, Tomlin said outside linebacker James Harrison is "fine" after sustaining a knee contusion in the Steelers' 35-7 loss in Baltimore last Sunday.

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery and outside linebacker Chris Carter are still working through hamstring injuries, Tomlin said. Both are expected to try running today, and Tomlin said he is hopeful both are able to practice tomorrow.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Xrns1hFJ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/print_756534.html#ixzz1Xrns1hFJ)

SidSmythe
09-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Was it me or did we run the ball against the Ravens as well as I can remember??? Until we got down and pass pass pass was the game plan???

flippy
09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Seems to me like Gilbert would be better suited at LT than RT. Wonder why we wouldn't try Gilbert on the left and move Scott over to the right side.

DukieBoy
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Was it me or did we run the ball against the Ravens as well as I can remember??? Until we got down and pass pass pass was the game plan???
I thought we were running the ball pretty well early, until we peed in the pool w/o Matt Spaeth to do it for us.

Buckle up, young man. We need you to come through for us.

insanesteelersfan
09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
If Gilbert plays the whole year, I will bet anyone he will give up at least 30-40 sacks all by himself. I also bet Ben will get sacked 90 + times this season...and I seriously doubt I will get any takers on this bet.

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Seems to me like Gilbert would be better suited at LT than RT. Wonder why we wouldn't try Gilbert on the left and move Scott over to the right side.

probably a continuity thing, by putting Gilbert at RT you can leave the other 4 starters alone and allow them to develop some chemistry together.

God knows they need it...

DukieBoy
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
If Gilbert plays the whole year, I will bet anyone he will give up at least 30-40 sacks all by himself. I also bet Ben will get sacked 90 + times this season...and I seriously doubt I will get any takers on this bet.

Alright, bring in Steven Hawking then.

fordfixer
09-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Gator reunion on offensive line

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... a6a6f.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/gator-reunion-on-offensive-line/article_0b5c5a3d-0fcb-5e18-8dea-091ea04a6a6f.html)

Steelers offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (65) is getting to start sooner than most expected.

Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:02 pm | Updated: 10:11 pm, Tue Sep 13, 2011.

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments

PITTSBURGH - Once again, the Steelers' offensive line will start two ex-Gators.

Marcus Gilbert, a rookie, will make his first pro start Sunday when the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks. He'll line up at right tackle, just a few yards away from his former University of Florida teammate, center Maurkice Pouncey.

"We like where he is," coach Mike Tomlin said of Gilbert. "He's a talented young guy. He doesn't have a great deal of experience. But we are going to give him an opportunity to play and show what he's capable of."

Last year, the Steelers used their first-round draft pick on Pouncey, and that decision has proven to be a stroke of genius. Pouncey earned Pro Bowl honors as a rookie and seems destined to be a star for years to come.

The Steelers can only hope Gilbert develops into an all-star as well someday.

"We like his pedigree," Tomlin said. "He has done a nice job with the opportunities he has been given up to this point. It's enough for us to feel comfortable moving forward. We are giving him an opportunity this weekend."

Actually, the Steelers don't have many options now that Willie Colon is done for the year.

Colon, who missed the 2010 season with a torn Achilles' tendon, was placed on injured reserve Tuesday after undergoing surgery to repair a torn triceps muscle. Colon was hurt while pass blocking late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 35-7 loss at Baltimore.

The only other linemen on the opening-day roster who could play tackle are reserves Trai Essex, Ramon Foster and Chris Scott. But Foster and Scott didn't even dress Sunday in Baltimore as they were designated game-day inactives.

Later on Tuesday, the Steelers signed Ramon Meredith strictly for depth purposes. He's played in 13 NFL games over the past two years and has four starts. But the Steelers will be the fifth team he's spent time with.

Pouncey and Gilbert last spent time together when they were starters at Florida in 2009 - Pouncey at center and Gilbert at right tackle. Last year, Gilbert switched to left tackle.

"It's an added bonus that he and Maurkice are best buds," offensive line coach Sean Kugler said in April when the Steelers drafted Gilbert. "There is chemistry there, and that chemistry is a big thing in the offensive line room."

For the first seven games of the 2010 season, Pouncey and left tackle Max Starks were the two former Florida starters on the offensive line. Starks, though, suffered a season-ending neck injury and then was cut this year on the first day of training camp. When news broke Monday of Colon's injury, there was speculation that the Steelers would try to re-sign either Starks or Flozell Adams.

The Steelers contacted Adams, who started every game for them last year only to be cut this year on the second day of camp as a salary cap casualty. However, Adams' asking price was too much (he was due to make $5 million this year). The Steelers just don't have the cap space to satisfy Adam's demand.

As far as Starks, the Steelers did not call him. He reportedly is vastly overweight and out of shape.

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Steelers' rookie Gilbert tackles starting spot

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 14, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-09-13/0914GilbertSteelCAP-a.jpg

For the second year in a row, the Steelers are entrusting a position on the offensive line to a rookie from the University of Florida.

This time, though, the Steelers don't have much of a choice.

Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday against the visiting Seattle Seahawks — and for the foreseeable future — following a season-ending injury to Willie Colon.

Colon had surgery Tuesday morning to repair a torn triceps, and the Steelers placed the sixth-year veteran on injured reserve Tuesday.

Gilbert, a second-round draft pick in April, moves from left to right tackle, and coach Mike Tomlin admitted that there is some risk involved given his inexperience.

"Not a lot of tape (on Gilbert) but not a lot of opportunities for a young guy," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference. "We do believe he's talented. He has done a nice job with the opportunities given to him at this point. It's enough for us to feel comfortable moving forward."

Colon, who signed a five-year, $29 million contract in late July, suffered a season-ending injury for the second time in as many years in the Steelers' 35-7 loss to the Ravens.

The Steelers signed Flozell Adams after Colon ruptured his Achilles tendon in June of 2010, and the veteran left tackle proved to be a pleasant surprise after moving to right tackle. He was the only Steelers' offensive lineman to start every game last season, but the team released Adams in July in a cost-cutting move.

The Steelers spoke with Adams' agent, Jordan Woy, on Monday, but it appears that money prevented talks from getting serious.

Instead the Steelers signed journeyman Jamon Meredith to add depth along the offensive line.

Meredith, who worked out for the Steelers on Tuesday along with Ray Willis, started four games at right tackle for the Buffalo Bills in 2009. The 6-5, 304-pounder played in five games last season while spending time with the Bills, Detroit Lions and New York Giants.

Meredith is listed third on the Steelers' depth chart at left tackle, behind starter Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex.

Gilbert, meanwhile, will become the first Steelers rookie to start at tackle since Colon in 2006.

If Gilbert comes within a zip code of playing as well as center Maurkice Pouncey, his former college teammate and close friend, did a year ago the Steelers will be happy.

Pouncey beat out incumbent Justin Hartwig in training camp, and he became the first Steelers offensive lineman to make the Pro Bowl as a rookie since 1955.

Unlike Pouncey, the Steelers have to thrust the 6-6, 330-pound Gilbert into action, after only a week of practice at right tackle.

At Florida, Gilbert started 14 games at right tackle in 2009 and 13 at left tackle last season. He has made steady progress since a slow start to training camp.

"We like his pedigree," Tomlin said. "He's shown that he's not a fish out of water and knows the area since he's been here in terms of being position flexible."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1XtWzwjeR (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756622.html#ixzz1XtWzwjeR)

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Okay, if Ben gets sacked 90+ times this season and Gilbert gives up at least 30-40 sacks all by himself, then I'll leave this site forever. If that doesn't happen, then you can take your mind-numbing, barely-coherent ramblings elsewhere. Deal?

Jooser
09-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Okay, if Ben gets sacked 90+ times this season and Gilbert gives up at least 30-40 sacks all by himself, then I'll leave this site forever. If that doesn't happen, then you can take your mind-numbing, barely-coherent ramblings elsewhere. Deal?

I'll take that bet! :D

steelblood
09-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Take it, insane gentleman. Please.

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Ready or Not ...

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Sep 14, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/97/973825.jpg

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger made it clear they're not going to let a rookie right tackle slow them down. Marcus Gilbert says he's ready.

PITTSBURGH – A few days before a kid named Ben Roethlisberger stepped into the Steelers’ lineup for good, a gruff offensive lineman took a dim view when asked if he was excited to be playing with a rookie quarterback.

Six years later, Roethlisberger is that gruff veteran taking a similar view about having a rookie, Marcus Gilbert, step into the lineup as the Steelers’ starting right tackle.

Roethlisberger didn't mince words when asked if he’ll have to simplify things for the kid Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

“No,” Roethlisberger said. “He better catch up. If he’s not there, we’re not slowing down for him. We expect him to catch up and get on pace with us.”

Roethlisberger said he’s confident in Gilbert, and that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is confident in Gilbert, but the quarterback still sat down and had a talk with him.

“I said, ‘Listen, not only do you need to learn this offense, you better have the no-huddle down pat because we’re going to do it and I’m not slowing down for you.’

“So I have confidence he’ll be ready to go.”

Roethlisberger wasn’t the only player to have a talk with Gilbert. His former college teammate, Maurkice Pouncey, sat him down after the first week of training camp

“I basically told him it’s a lot different from college now,” said Pouncey. “You’re not getting pampered all the time. You’ve got to go in here and be accountable for everything that you do.” Was he unprepared for training camp?

“A little bit,” Pouncey said. “He’s a lot better now than what he was.”

Gilbert reported to training camp out of shape and then pulled a hamstring in his first practice and missed a week. But to his credit he came back to play well against big-time pass-rushers Trent Cole and John Abraham in preseason games.

The 6-6, 330-pound rookie not only made the team, he took the important “swing tackle” role for the Steelers, and then was promoted to right tackle after Willie Colon went down for the season with a torn triceps in the opener.

Pouncey, who had good things to say to the organization when asked about Gilbert, his former college teammate, at draft time, was happy for a player who’s also become his next-door neighbor.

“For one second I was happy,” Pouncey said. “I told him congratulations, but other than that, ‘Man, you gotta get to work. Get in your playbook right now. If you got any questions you better ask.’”

How much has Gilbert improved since their days at Florida?

“He’s a lot more accountable,” Pouncey said. “He doesn’t do the little small things he did as a younger man. He’s grown. I’m very proud of him.”

After Pouncey and Gilbert talked at camp, Gilbert said he “studied with him every night. I’m basically living with him right now. Just having him by my side really helps out a lot.”

Gilbert laughed when asked if he was the “third Pouncey bro.” He also said that standing on the sideline in Baltimore was a new experience for him.

“I didn’t expect it to be more crazy than a college football game,” Gilbert said. “Florida played before 95,000. That crowd was like 75,000 and it was rocking. I never experienced anything like it. You have to learn to bring your A game to every game. No team will let you walk away with a victory. You have to basically go in there and take it.”

Kind of like a starting tackle job?

“I dream about it every day,” Gilbert said. “Trying to get the opportunity to go out there and play the game I love is the only thing I want to do.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1106755.html

DukieBoy
09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Where's the Insanity ???