PDA

View Full Version : More musical chairs on OL.

Stewie
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
With Colon out for the season, and the club in contact w. Flozell, there will be more shuffling on the OL. Legursky was overwhelmed at RG. He was there, ostensibly for his pulling ability. Pulling doesn't matter if you get steamrolled at the pt. of attack. I would have kept Hills, but since that is no longer possible put somebody there who won't get overwhelmed and don't pull the RG. Pull Pouncey or use a TE to trap left.

Slapstick
09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Legursky won the job...he had a poor game against Haloti Ngata, but he certainly wasn't alone...it's too early in the season to start benching players willy nilly...

He played well in the SB...he'll have more opportunity to show that he can keep the job...

Stewie
09-13-2011, 08:39 AM
He played well in the SB at CENTER.

phillyesq
09-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm not a big fan of Legursky as a full season right guard (I think he's fine in spot duty here and there), but I think they'll stick with him another week. In his defense, it appeared that some of the issues were communications issues, and he and Pouncey did not work together much in the preseason.

With a new RT a certainty, I think the Steelers will try to keep some continuity at RG.

papillon
09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Is Marcus Gilbert that unprepared to step in and play? He must be; his name hasn't even been mentioned as a possibility. Didn't he a play a game at guard during the pre-season?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Benching Legursky for one bad performance against Haloti Ngata is like benching a WR because he was held without a catch when going against Darrelle Revis all game, or benching a CB because he allowed Andre Johnson to catch a TD pass. Ngata is an elite player. Elite players have a capability to dominate.

steelcurtain44
09-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Is Marcus Gilbert that unprepared to step in and play? He must be; his name hasn't even been mentioned as a possibility. Didn't he a play a game at guard during the pre-season?

Pappy

And in all honesty, he looked very good to me. He was not getting outmustled, and didn't look out of place. Kemo on the play where Ben got creamed, had no clue as to what he was suppose to do. Pouncey had his man pinned to the inside, and Kemo had no one to block, so instead of sliding over to the left where there was an open whole, he turned to his right in just kept spinning around, by that time, Suggs came through untouched. All the Ravens did was run a stunt, and Kemo didn't know who to pick up. The other blockers all was on the same page except him.

I'm sitting there last night watching the Sissies and the Dolphins, and the Sissies has a rookie RT, who looks like he's seasoned vet. Then they're starter center goes out and they still don't miss a beat. There is a problem somewhere, with teaching these linemen. I mean why does it seem that any other team draft's a lineman, and no matter what, they seem to get it?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
It becomes increasingly frustrating when you watch Nate Solder and Ras I Dowling starting for NE. Surely they are also a competitive team with few openings, but their blue chip rooks still found a way. If we had any openings they would be at OL and CB yet none of our early rounders at those positions even got a sniff. While they were injured throughout camp we all know that they still had a very little chance of making the starting lineup.

steelblood
09-13-2011, 10:10 AM
The Steelers have said nothing yet. Only the pundits have spoken. The STeelers generally don't like throwing rookies into the fire, but they may. The real problem is that Gilbert is only prepared to play LT at this point. That means that J. Scott will go to RT which he is underprepared for as well. It could be ugly for a bit while they get settled. But, for the long term benefit of the team. This might be the right move.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
It becomes increasingly frustrating when you watch Nate Solder and Ras I Dowling starting for NE. Surely they are also a competitive team with few openings, but their blue chip rooks still found a way. If we had any openings they would be at OL and CB yet none of our early rounders at those positions even got a sniff. While they were injured throughout camp we all know that they still had a very little chance of making the starting lineup.

Solder was drafted with the 17th overall pick in the first round. Last year, we drafted an o-lineman with the 18th overall pick in the first round, and he started and succeeded right off the bat as well.

Stewie
09-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Benching Legursky for one bad performance against Haloti Ngata is like benching a WR because he was held without a catch when going against Darrelle Revis all game, or benching a CB because he allowed Andre Johnson to catch a TD pass. Ngata is an elite player. Elite players have a capability to dominate.

So what do you propose when Legs has to go against Dockett of the Cardinals or Haynesworth and Wilfork of the Pats??? The position needs more beef!!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 10:23 AM

So what do you propose when Legs has to go against Dockett of the Cardinals or Haynesworth and Wilfork of the Pats??? The position needs more beef!!!

What happens when the aforementioned WR has to face Nnamdi Asomugha, or the aforementioned CB has to face Calvin Johnson? It happens. Elite players often face off against marginal starters, and the elite players typically have success. Use this as a learning experience to try to improve communication between Pouncey and Legursky so there are more double teams of elite DT's and less instances of letting him into the backfield completely unblocked.

Keyplay1
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Pappy

And in all honesty, he looked very good to me. He was not getting outmustled, and didn't look out of place. Kemo on the play where Ben got creamed, had no clue as to what he was suppose to do. Pouncey had his man pinned to the inside, and Kemo had no one to block, so instead of sliding over to the left where there was an open whole, he turned to his right in just kept spinning around, by that time, Suggs came through untouched. All the Ravens did was run a stunt, and Kemo didn't know who to pick up. The other blockers all was on the same page except him.

I'm sitting there last night watching the Sissies and the Dolphins, and the Sissies has a rookie RT, who looks like he's seasoned vet. Then they're starter center goes out and they still don't miss a beat. There is a problem somewhere, with teaching these linemen. I mean why does it seem that any other team draft's a lineman, and no matter what, they seem to get it?

This was from the Trib: This guy Mark Kaboly seems to be the new head beat writer for the paper now or at least one of them.

"You just assume that when Terrell Suggs sacks Ben Roethlisberger it is the left tackle’s fault – or in Sunday’s case, Jonathan Scott’s fault.

That is not the case.

Baltimore uses Suggs in a various number of ways and actually line him up on either side depending on down and distance.

On Suggs first sack of Roethlisberger late in the first quarter that resulted in a fumble, Suggs lined up at on the opposite side of the formation that he usually lines up

If that wasn’t bad enough, he ran a stunt to perfection with Haloti Ngata and came untouched to the quarterback.

Who to blame you ask? Not Doug Legursky.

Hate to break it to you folks, but that was 100 percent Maurkice Pouncey’s fault. He needed to recognize the stunt and pick up Suggs and hand off Ngata to Legursky.

It didn’t happen and one of the big plays of the game resulted out of it."

A lot of other stuff in there I'm not sure I agree with it all but interesting.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... er-review/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/12/after-futher-review/)

Stewie
09-13-2011, 10:48 AM

What happens when the aforementioned WR has to face Nnamdi Asomugha, or the aforementioned CB has to face Calvin Johnson? It happens. Elite players often face off against marginal starters, and the elite players typically have success. Use this as a learning experience to try to improve communication between Pouncey and Legursky so there are more double teams of elite DT's and less instances of letting him into the backfield completely unblocked.

You CANNOT doubleteam Wilfork AND Haynesworth. The position needs B-E-E-F!!!

pfelix73
09-13-2011, 10:50 AM
According to local media, sounds like Flozell isn't going to be an option. Same goes for Starks.

Sounds like Gilbert will be moving in to the starting lineup. Now whether thats at LT or RT, stay tuned.....

:tt1

NJ-STEELER
09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
As we saw last year. Won't be much of a drop off

phillyesq
09-13-2011, 11:22 AM
According to local media, sounds like Flozell isn't going to be an option. Same goes for Starks.

Sounds like Gilbert will be moving in to the starting lineup. Now whether thats at LT or RT, stay tuned.....

Yeah, the twitter reports are all starting to say that it will be Gilbert at RT.

focosteeler
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Yeah, the twitter reports are all starting to say that it will be Gilbert at RT.

I would still want to bring in Starks as a back up and maybe he can beat out J Scott or Gilbert after a couple weeks.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Solder was drafted with the 17th overall pick in the first round. Last year, we drafted an o-lineman with the 18th overall pick in the first round, and he started and succeeded right off the bat as well.

Pouncey was the best Steelers OL from the time he showed up at camp and had to be almost perfect to grudgingly get his shot. It was even announced before the season that he was not in the mix at C and was an outside shot at RG. He did not arrive on even footing with players who were already here.

pfelix73
09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Ed Bouchette is reporting that Gilbert will play at RT.

Starks is done. His injury from last year is similar to what Marvel Smith had. He could not get back into playing shape because of it- at least thats what I heard on the radio this morning...

steelblood
09-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Ed Bouchette is reporting that Gilbert will play at RT.

Starks is done. His injury from last year is similar to what Marvel Smith had. He could not get back into playing shape because of it- at least thats what I heard on the radio this morning...

We will still need to sign a veteran tackle, I believe. I worry about Gilbert at RT. He has taken very few reps there. But, I'm glad to get him into the lineup now. If Ben stays healthy, this could pay off big time in the long term.

pfelix73
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Agreed. Just not sure who is out there that they can sign. They are saying Flo is not an option- he might want too much $- dunno....

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 01:48 PM
So the starters will be:

J. Scott-C.Kemoeatu-M. Pouncey-D. Legursky-M. Gilbert

The gameday reserves should be:

T. Essex-R. Foster

The gameday inactive should be:

C. Scott

Even if they aren't able to convince Hotel to return, and Max's neck won't allow him to return, we'll still need to sign another tackle at some point (likely whenever we ultimately put Colon on I.R.)

Keyplay1
09-14-2011, 02:35 AM
So the starters will be:

J. Scott-C.Kemoeatu-M. Pouncey-D. Legursky-M. Gilbert

The gameday reserves should be:

T. Essex-R. Foster

The gameday inactive should be:

C. Scott

Even if they aren't able to convince Hotel to return, and Max's neck won't allow him to return, we'll still need to sign another tackle at some point (likely whenever we ultimately put Colon on I.R.)

Thats how it will be. The Colon situation was taken care of. From the PG this morning.

"To replace Colon on the 53-man roster, the Steelers signed offensive tackle Jamon Meredith (6-5, 304). He was released by the New York Giants Sept. 3. He was drafted in the fifth round in 2009 by Green Bay from South Carolina and spent time with Buffalo, where he started four games in 2009 (Steelers line coach Sean Kugler was the Bills line coach then), and Detroit and the Giants on their 53-man rosters. ... Tomlin said that James Harrison, who left the game Sunday with what was described as a bruised knee, is OK and ready to go this week.

The Steelers could have got the Hilton and Radisson hotel chains for the money Flozell wanted. Like many here I also really liked him, but----

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11257/11 ... z1XuC10Ks4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11257/1174434-66.stm#ixzz1XuC10Ks4)