PDA

View Full Version : Adam Schefter just reported on ESPN....

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Steelers are projected to be $25 million over the salary cap in 2012.

Ouch!

steelblood
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Ouch!
What cap? They don't even have a cap set yet.

The cap will likely go back to pre-lockout numbers and get back to around 130 mil. That is 10 mil more than this season. Cut, Smith, Farrior, and Kemo. We should be able to finesse it from there.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I heard the same thing from somebody else (maybe Peter King) as well. There are going to be some easy and obvious cuts (for example, can't have Farrior and Foote combine for over $7 million), and I'd imagine some players whose bonuses could be restructured, but there will likely be some tough decisions on some veterans as well.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Ouch!

The cap will likely go back to pre-lockout numbers and get back to around 130 mil. That is 10 mil more than this season. Cut, Smith, Farrior, and Kemo. We should be able to finesse it from there.

I'm not reporting it, Adam Schefter is.

But I would add Keisel, McFadden, and Gay to that list of yours.

steelblood
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2ptsbgpc]Steelers are projected to be $25 million over the salary cap in 2012.

Ouch!

I'm not reporting it, Adam Schefter is.

But I would add Keisel, McFadden, and Gay to that list of yours.[/quote:2ptsbgpc]

Just read up on the projected cap. Most pundits say 125 or less. Yikes.

Well, we should get young in a hurry.

And, I doubt Keisel is going anywhere. We restructured him. He has too much money in bonus now.

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
We came into this season $10 million over the cap, then managed to sign big money deals with Ike Taylor, Willie Colon, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, and Troy Polamalu anyway.

This could be the swan song for Smith, Farrior, Ward, Foote, McFadden, Gay, Moore, Battle, Allen, Hoke, Batch, etc.

Djfan
09-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Brett K is worth keeping, IMO. Maybe Farrior, too.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Brett K is worth keeping, IMO. Maybe Farrior, too.

Not at his age and salary to be a back up. At least in my opinion.

jj28west
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ek.1/4.htm (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/4.htm)

Peter King was hinting that we may be for a house cleaning and rebuilding phase. Come to think of it did we ever rebuild? I think we just reload.

"I think it's admirable for the Steelers to have given Troy Polamalu a contract extension through the 2014 season, with three new years totaling about $30 million to tack onto the end of this year's deal. But what worries me is Pittsburgh has the oldest starting defense in football since the turn of the century, and this contract pushes their 2012 cap -- as of today, with the full knowledge that it can change by cutting players whose 2012 deals would be onerous on the cap -- to more than $20 million over the projected 2012 spending limit. This was a good deal for Polamalu, and if he plays like he has for most of his career, it will be money well spent. But I have my doubts that a man who has thrown his body around the way he has will still be great in 2012, never mind '13 or '14."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1XmHpfRfv (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/index.html#ixzz1XmHpfRfv)

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2011, 06:02 PM
peter king is a patriot polesmoker.

i'm not worried about the cap next year as ruthless pointed out, alot of folks will be coming off.

TallyStiller
09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Our "rebuilding" phase will look a lot like New England's over the last several years... as long as we have #7 lining up behind center every week, we are in every game we play. Brady plus whatever crap they've had on D and at WR has been good for at least 11 - 5. I see a season or two of fixing it on the fly, with us still being playoff caliber, just maybe not SB contenders.

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I heard the same thing from somebody else (maybe Peter King) as well. There are going to be some easy and obvious cuts (for example, can't have Farrior and Foote combine for over $7 million), and I'd imagine some players whose bonuses could be restructured, but there will likely be some tough decisions on some veterans as well.

Yeah but remember, we are gonna have to give Wallace at LEAST a new deal that will multiply his Cap number by 10, so Aaron Smith-Foote-Farrior-Ward-Harrison-Mcfadden-Clark-Kemo-Hampton will ALL have to be cut. Sorry, but it's the truth.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM

Yeah but remember, we are gonna have to give Wallace at LEAST a new deal that will multiply his Cap number by 10, so Aaron Smith-Foote-Farrior-Ward-Harrison-Mcfadden-Clark-Kemo-Hampton will ALL have to be cut. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Wallace can be kept for another year with the highest RFA tender, which is still plenty reasonable (last I checked somewhere in the $2-3 million range). That buys another year where we don't have to cut ALL of those guys (just maybe half of them). In 2013 is where Wallace will get expensive (either on a long term deal or if not, a franchise tag) and we'll have to dump the rest of those old fogeys.

aggiebones
09-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Yea, the Steelers will be caught completely by surprise by this. lol

papillon
09-13-2011, 01:31 AM
I doubt the Steelers have to cut or release many, if any of them. My guess is that the FO has discussed the future with some of the more experienced players and the Steeler plans. It just seems like something the Steelers would do for the well respected veterans that have been great Steelers for many years. The players may not like it, but they probably know about it and will make playing decisions based on what they know.

It would be sad if their demise came a year early and this year was lost. I hope they can get it together.

Pappy

costanza2k1
09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Schefter also reported that this is no big deal as the Steelers have been significantly over the cap for 7 years in a row. No big deal