PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down McFadden on the Bolden TD…

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Ok I have read here several times how some have defended McFaddden on the Bolden TD. Some have said such things as he had pretty good coverage on Bolden. I myself do not agree with this. And I’ll explain why….

First of all it is not just the defensive backs responsibility to have pretty good coverage. His responsibility is to prevent the receiver from catching the ball. Ask any DB and they will tell you that anything less than this is a failure, especially if the catch results in a score.

Now here is why I feel that McFadden's coverage was poor on that play. If you have TiVo’d or DVR’d this game go back and slow this play down. On about the 13 yard line you will see McFadden look back for the ball. Problem with this is the ball wasn’t actually caught there. It was caught at about 2 yards into the end zone. This hesitation/pause (looking back), was enough to create just enough separation for the ball to get in the hands of the receiver. It also caused McFadden to stumble and be in no position to one, make a play on the ball, or two, jar the ball out of the receivers hands. No receiver can ever catch a ball until his hands at least come up above his waste. McFadden should have never looked back until he saw this. There is absolutely no need to do so. And once McFadden let Bolden, who is far bigger and more physical than he is, get one step behind him (with no over the top help), he is going to lose that battle 9 out of 10 times.

McFadden is what he is. He isnt going to change much.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
newsflash brah: the guys on the other team get paid too.

not defending mcfadden, but your view seems unrealistic to expect any DB to never allow a completion.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 05:05 PM
newsflash brah: the guys on the other team get paid too.

not defending mcfadden, but your view seems unrealistic to expect any DB to never allow a completion.

That's not what I am saying. Read it again. Just being stride for stride sometimes isnt necessarily "good coverage" when you allow the receiver to get behind you and you yourself create the separation because you stopped playing the receiver.

:idea:

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Ok I have read here several times how some have defended McFaddden on the Bolden TD. Some have said such things as he had pretty good coverage on Bolden. I myself do not agree with this. And I’ll explain why….

First of all it is not just the defensive backs responsibility to have pretty good coverage. His responsibility is to prevent the receiver from catching the ball. Ask any DB and they will tell you that anything less than this is a failure, especially if the catch results in a score.

Now here is why I feel that McFadden's coverage was poor on that play. If you have TiVo’d or DVR’d this game go back and slow this play down. On about the 13 yard line you will see McFadden look back for the ball. Problem with this is the ball wasn’t actually caught there. It was caught at about 2 yards into the end zone. This hesitation/pause (looking back), was enough to create just enough separation for the ball to get in the hands of the receiver. It also caused McFadden to stumble and be in no position to one, make a play on the ball, or two, jar the ball out of the receivers hands. No receiver can ever catch a ball until his hands at least come up above his waste. McFadden should have never looked back until he saw this. There is absolutely no need to do so. And once McFadden let Bolden, who is far bigger and more physical than he is, get one step behind him (with no over the top help), he is going to lose that battle 9 out of 10 times.

I didn't record the game, so I don't have the benefit of a replay, but I stick by my position that McFadden had pretty good coverage on the play. I appreciate your analysis and breakdown, and while it may explain the cause, I think it is a bit too critical to blame McFadden for glancing back.

I'm not a big McFadden fan or defender, but I don't think that the Boldin TD was a glaring example of why he is not a great cover corner. It obviously would have been nice to see McFadden make the play, but I can concede that sometimes a DB has good coverage and still gives up a play.

steelblood
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Right before the ball arrives, Bolden grabs McFadden by the arm and pulls him. It was subtle and smart. That is why McFadden stumbled.

I'm NOT defending the guy. But, in this case, his coverage wasn't bad. He did peek back a little early. But, plenty of good corners peek even more often. Revis is always peeking back. Mcfadden Kept him well sealed even after the peek. He just lost the physical battle with a better player. It was also a beautiful throw.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Right before the ball arrives, Bolden grabs McFadden by the arm and pulls him. It was subtle and smart. That is why McFadden stumbled.

I'm NOT defending the guy. But, in this case, his coverage wasn't bad. He did peek back a little early. But, plenty of good corners peek even more often. Revis is always peeking back. Mcfadden Kept him well sealed even after the peek. He just lost the physical battle with a better player. It was also a beautiful throw.

The league allows the receiver to use an arm bar as long as there is no push off but as I said previously letting Boldin get the step behind him is McFadden failing in coverage. You allow a player this big and this physical to get a step and you can expect that arm bar. And again the step behind McFadden came when McFadden looked back for a ball that was never there for another 13 plus yards.

Bad coverage and bad technique.

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
isn't the whole premise of LeBeau's soft 10 yard cushions that you always keep the WR in front of you and not give up the big play?

doesn't look like BMac did his job to me: (ignore the Ravens' cheer queer jumping up and down with delight) :wft

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1319869/37671005E.jpg

chiken
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
that picture is photo shopped right - please tell me that thats not real.. the cheerleader and the cheer man.

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
that picture is photo shopped right - please tell me that thats not real.. the cheerleader and the cheer man.

Real.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Cheer/Male_Stunt_Team.aspx

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Cheer/~/media/7A34DF8DD34B4326A5922A2C53FFB329.ashx

D Rock
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
at least they don't wear purple anymore, right?

steelblood
09-12-2011, 07:49 PM
isn't the whole premise of LeBeau's soft 10 yard cushions that you always keep the WR in front of you and not give up the big play?

doesn't look like BMac did his job to me: (ignore the Ravens' cheer queer jumping up and down with delight) :wft

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1319869/37671005E.jpg

I thought he was in press man on that play (not ten yard cushion).

steelblood
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM

The league allows the receiver to use an arm bar as long as there is no push off but as I said previously letting Boldin get the step behind him is McFadden failing in coverage. You allow a player this big and this physical to get a step and you can expect that arm bar. And again the step behind McFadden came when McFadden looked back for a ball that was never there for another 13 plus yards.

Bad coverage and bad technique.

It wasn't great coverage, but it was not terrible by any means.

And, it was not an arm bar by Boldin. It was a quick grab and pull. It was subtle and well done. It is to his credit that it was not called.

In general BMac is outmatched by Boldin. If we ask BMac to cover him in press man, the best we can hope for is that he forces Flacco to make great throws. He was pretty close to accomplishing this.

Still, I'd probably rather see Lewis out there. At least he could improve and help us down the stretch.

NorCal-Steeler
09-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I thought the coverage was good but the throw was better. Perfectly thrown and executed plays just happen. We didnt execute they did. 7 turnovers in a game wont happen again not reason to panic. This is why i hate opening day against a division rival. The team wont gel for another few weeks. When we get them at home it'll be a diff story.

steelblood
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I thought the coverage was good but the throw was better. Perfectly thrown and executed plays just happen. We didnt execute they did. 7 turnovers in a game wont happen again not reason to panic. This is why i hate opening day against a division rival. The team wont gel for another few weeks. When we get them at home it'll be a diff story.

But, the Ravens gelled. The did it with a left tackle who had been on the team for 2 weeks, 2 awful starting corners, and several other new starters and/or position changes.

This team's advantage in a lockout-shortened season was supposed to be that we were an experienced bunch with very little turnover. So far, it does not seem to be helping much.

mshifko
09-12-2011, 08:10 PM

dude, you are getting a little too possessed with this whole b-mac hate thing. any DB coach in the nation will tell you perfect coverage in man, is achieved by tagging and dragging (being ONE mini step behind and putting your body between the WR and the path of flight of the football). it was literally a perfect throw.

Chadman
09-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, watching that- not a whole lot B-Mac did wrong more than Flacco & Boldin did right.

Great throw, great catch. Good play all around.

DukieBoy
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
McFadden's coverage was good on that play until he looked back to the backfield, then he lost a step or two. It was plain to see at speed on the replay. The throw was excellent. He's not the only Steeler defender who got burned by a pass play after looking into the backfield yesterday. I believe I saw that on two other plays yesterday.

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 02:25 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

After futher review …

September 12th, 2011
by Mark Kaboly

Grading the Starters:

Heath Miller – A
Casey Hampton – A
Ike Taylor – A
Rashard Mendenhall – B
Mike Wallace – B
Chris Kemoeatu — B
Jonathan Scott – B-
Doug Legursky – C+
Maurkice Pouncey — C
LaMarr Woodley – C
James Farrior — C
Lawrence Timmons — C
David Johnson — C
Hines Ward — C
Troy Polamalu – C-
Ryan Clark — D
Willie Colon — D
Brett Keisel — D
Aaron Smith — D
James Harrison — D
Ben Roethlisberger – D
Bryant McFadden — F

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... 9k.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/12/after-futher-review/#.Tm6GUhZU19k.twitter)

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Chris Kemoeatu — B
Jonathan Scott – B-
Doug Legursky – C+
Maurkice Pouncey — C

:wft