PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Steelers' Colon suffers arm injury

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Sources: Steelers' Colon suffers arm injury

By Adam Caplan
September 12, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers not only lost badly to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, they might have lost one of their most important players for a significant period of time in the process.

Starting ORT Willie Colon, according to two sources, suffered an arm injury, which is believed to be in the triceps area.

If the injury is significant, and the early indication is that it is, the Steelers could re-sign veteran OT Flozell Adams, who started 16 games last season for team last season when replacing Colon, who missed all of 2010 with an Achilles tendon injury.

The top free agent offensive tackles available according to thesidelineview.com are Ryan Harris (injured/back), Jon Stinchcomb, Nick Kaczur, Mario Henderson, (former Steeler) Max Starks and Adams.

The Steelers, who host the Seattle Seahawks this Sunday, list second-year OT Chris Scott as Colonís backup.

Colon re-signed with the team with a contract for five years and worth $29 million back in late July.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/capl ... arm-injury (http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/sources-steelers-colon-suffers-arm-injury)

Steelhere10
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
There goes 2 penalties , and one holding call out the door. Geeez

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
If accurate, this is very bad news.

If Colon is out for any significant period of time, the Steelers almost have to bring in a veteran OT, whether it be Starks, Adams or somebody else.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I just saw in another thread that neither Essex nor Gilbert played. I guess Colon must have finished the game despite the injury?

SteelBucks
09-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Adams or Starks (if in shape) can expect a call soon from Colbert.

papillon
09-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Can giving Marcus Gilbert reps be any worse than what we saw today? Ben has been dodging defensive pressure his whole career, can Gilbert really be any worse? Why bring in a lineman for one year and delay the growth of a draft pick that by all accounts the coaches believe is going to be a good player?

Pappy

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
When it rains it pours!!!!!!!!!!

D Rock
09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
bring on the future. Move Scott over to RT and put Gilbert at LT.

papillon
09-12-2011, 03:19 PM

That's what I'm saying...Why delay the development of a draft pick for an entire year, lets see what they drafted in Gilbert.

Pappy

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM

That's what I'm saying...Why delay the development of a draft pick for an entire year, lets see what they drafted in Gilbert.

Pappy

Not a bad idea, if they intend to go that route, but that leaves them very thin on the offensive line.

Also, very odd that all the local writers have confirmed that Dorin Dickerson was signed to the P.S., but none have mentioned Colon.

papillon
09-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Pappy

Not a bad idea, if they intend to go that route, but that leaves them very thin on the offensive line.

Maybe, one of the vets out there would like to be on a potential playoff team and be the emergency tackle and be there in case disaster strikes and we lose another lineman. We know Flozell isn't that guy, maybe one of the others is willing to get paid to be an emergency player.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Steelers Reportedly Lose OT Willie Colon To Triceps Injury

by Michael Bean on Sep 12, 2011

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1892851/86673_Steelers_Back_To_Work_Football.jpg

Steeler Nation is still reeling from Pittsburgh's lopsided Week 1 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, and to make matters worse, it looks as if the injury bug has bitten. Adam Caplan is reporting that offensive tackle Willie Colon suffered a tricpes injury during the 35-7 loss to Baltimore.

If the injury is significant, and the early indication is that it is, the Steelers could re-sign veteran OT Flozell Adams, who started 16 games last season for team last season when replacing Colon, who missed all of 2010 with an Achilles tendon injury.

Yikes. Not the fact that the Steelers might have to turn to Adams once again, that's not scary at all necessarily. But it's certainly unfortunate and disheartening (if true) that Colon will miss extended time again in 2011 after missing all of last season with an Achilles heel injury. Hopefully the injury is not to Colon's triceps muscle, as we know all too well how debilitating those can be. Aaron Smith suffered a similar injury during last year's win over the Miami Dolphins, and was unable to fully recover for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

Chris Scott is listed as Colon's backup at right tackle; there's also Marcus Gilbert and Trai Essex who could fill Colon's shoes. But suffice it to say, the Steelers would need to add a body to the active roster, and it's not very likely that they're ready to bring Trevis Turner off the practice squad just yet. Instead, it looks like Adams or perhaps Max Starks might get the call from Kevin Colbert sometime today if Caplan's report is in fact true.

Poll

If Caplan's report is true and Colon is injured for a substantial period of time with a triceps injury, who would you prefer to see start at right tackle?

2%
Chris Scott
4 votes

2%
Trai Essex
5 votes

3%
Jonathan Scott with someone else sliding to LT
6 votes

25%
Max Starks (either at RT or at LT with Scott sliding to RT)
50 votes

60%
Flozell Adams
117 votes

5%
Other (comment below)
11 votes

193 votes

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

SteelBucks
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Can giving Marcus Gilbert reps be any worse than what we saw today? Ben has been dodging defensive pressure his whole career, can Gilbert really be any worse? Why bring in a lineman for one year and delay the growth of a draft pick that by all accounts the coaches believe is going to be a good player?

Pappy

I know I'm in the minority but I say bring back Adams. Last thing I want is on the job training for Gilbert, especially since he would play LT and protect Ben's blind side (Scott would slide to RT).

A o-line of Gilbert - Kemo - Pouncey - Legursky - Scott looks and sounds bad. I don't want Essex out there either.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
On another site, a poster said we shouldn't have signed Colon to that big contract because, after all, he couldn't even block for Ben outside that bathroom in Georgia.

Not exactly my sentiments, but I thought it was worth posting here.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
In the comments on his blog, Dale Lolley mentioned that he has been unable to confirm anything regarding Colon and that Colon's arm wasn't wrapped after the game.

He also noted that all the reports came from one source (Caplan).

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=15287012&postID=1034080604487032581

SteelBucks
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
In the comments on his blog, Dale Lolley mentioned that he has been unable to confirm anything regarding Colon and that Colon's arm wasn't wrapped after the game.

He also noted that all the reports came from one source (Caplan).

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=15287012&postID=1034080604487032581

Scott Brown in his Trib blog mentioned that Colon suffered a tricep injury. Their waiting for the swelling to go down to do an MRI.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
bendel just reported he is out for year.

damn.

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Colon may have sustained serious arm injury

September 12th, 2011

I thought one of the few positives from the Steelersí 35-7 loss to the Ravens was that no one got seriously hurt.

That may not be the case.

Iím hearing that starting right tackle Willie Colon suffered a triceps injury, one that may possibly end his season. It apparently happened late in the fourth quarter, after Ben Roethlisberger got sacked, which resulted in a fumble and a pile up with Colon in it.

If the injury is serious, look for the Steelers to bring back Flozell Adams or Max Starks.

Adams played right tackle last season in place of Colon, who ruptured his Achilles tendon in June of 2010.

Colon made a full recovery from that injury and the Steelers signed him to a five-year, $29 million contract in late July.

Ė Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... rm-injury/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/12/colon-may-have-sustained-serious-arm-injury/)

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Colon was a stupid re-signing anyways. Now we are gonna take a 17 million cap hit IF they cut him,,,and they should. I have heard that Flozell has informed the steelers that IF they want him back that he wants 15 million guaranteed, or no dice :Clap Kemo is a joke...J.Scott is a joke, Legursky is a joke. Gilbert was a joke of a 2nd round pick..( Pure Late 4th round talent )

Pittsburgh is heading for a top-5 draft pick this season, and Ben will likely suffer a season ending Injury of some kind real soon...trust me!!

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Pittsburgh is heading for a top-5 draft pick this season

would you like to make a small wager on that, like let's say $10,000?

Steelhere10
09-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Colon was a stupid re-signing anyways. Now we are gonna take a 17 million cap hit IF they cut him,,,and they should. I have heard that Flozell has informed the steelers that IF they want him back that he wants 15 million guaranteed, or no dice :Clap Kemo is a joke...J.Scott is a joke, Legursky is a joke. Gilbert was a joke of a 2nd round pick..( Pure Late 4th round talent )

Pittsburgh is heading for a top-5 draft pick this season, and Ben will likely suffer a season ending Injury of some kind real soon...trust me!!

Well if been do get hurt, he can blame himself for lobbying to sign this bum anyway.

D Rock
09-12-2011, 07:42 PM

I'll trust you when pigs freeze while flying through hell.

kindlecatsb'ng
09-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Willie Colon to have surgery... out indefinitely

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56421.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_756421.html)

Kindle

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Steelers lose Willie Colon to torn triceps

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 12, 2011

We seemed to avoid a ton of season-ending injuries during the preseason.

The same hasnít held true in Week One of the regular season.

A parade of season-ending injuries were confirmed on Monday, and we have a curveball out of Pittsburgh. Starting tackle Willie Colon has a torn triceps, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Colonís agent Joe Linta says Colon is ďlikelyĒ headed to injured reserve. Colon missed all of last season with a torn Achilles.

Itís a devastating blow for the Steelers. They are already thin at the position, which is partly why they paid Colon $29 million over five years to keep him from signing in Chicago. Left tackle Johnathan Scott was abused on Sunday against Baltimore.

2010 starters Max Starks and Flozell Adams are both free agents. Weíd imagine that Adams would be getting a phone call soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-triceps/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/12/steelers-lose-willie-colon-to-torn-triceps/)

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM

Perhaps never has a board name been so fitting.

NJ-STEELER
09-12-2011, 11:01 PM
jon stichcomb is still available as well

Dee Dub
09-13-2011, 12:15 AM

Top 5 pick?? :D

Ok...who do you want....

Matt Kalil OT
Justin Blackmon WR
Alshon Jeffries WR
Vontaze Burfict ILB
Manti Te'o ILB
Jonathan Martin OT
Riley Reiff OT
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Janoris Jenkins CB
Alameda Ta'amu NT
Cordy Glenn OG

Come on go on record right now. You bash nearly every move the Steelers make so lets see what ya got. Call your shot right now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Steelers eye OT Adams, but agent says 'nothing imminent'

NFL.com
Published: Sept. 12, 2011

A familiar face could be returning to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Jordan Woy, the agent for free-agent offensive tackle Flozell Adams, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers have talked to him about his client Monday, but nothing was imminent.

Adams was the only offensive lineman to start every game for the Steelers in 2010. He made five Pro Bowls in 12 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Steelers again could be in the market for an offensive lineman. Starting right tackle Willie Colon will miss the season with a torn triceps tendon, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora on Monday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8222fae2/article/steelers-eye-ot-adams-but-agent-says-nothing-imminent?module=HP11_headline_stack)

steelz09
09-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Top 5 pick?? :D

Ok...who do you want....

Matt Kalil OT
Justin Blackmon WR
Alshon Jeffries WR
Vontaze Burfict ILB
Manti Te'o ILB
Jonathan Martin OT
Riley Reiff OT
Dre Kirkpatrick CB
Janoris Jenkins CB
Alameda Ta'amu NT
Cordy Glenn OG

Come on go on record right now. You bash nearly every move the Steelers make so lets see what ya got. Call your shot right now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew Luck. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.