PDA

View Full Version : The Unpopular Aaron Smith Question

steelz09
09-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Is it his time to take a seat behind Ziggy Hood? Instead of rotating Hood into the lineup, I think they should seriously consider rotating Aaron Smith into the lineup and start Hood.

grotonsteel
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Is it his time to take a seat behind Ziggy Hood? Instead of rotating Hood into the lineup, I think they should seriously consider rotating Aaron Smith into the lineup and start Hood.

:Agree

steelblood
09-12-2011, 10:52 AM
It is possible that no Steeler played worse than Smith. I rewound several plays and watched Yanda smoke Smith over and over. Yanda is a good guard, but Smith (as he is primarily a run stuffer) was dominated to a ridiculous degree. Also, the staff should have had Hood take more snaps after they saw Smith getting blown up.

Still, it is one game and Smith was effective last season. We'll see.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM

:Agree :Agree Smith at this point is nothing but a back up. He probably shouldn't have come back. His side got collapsed all day long and he could not disengage from blocks.

fezziwig
09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Obviously the team knew their would be a time for a youth movement at the D-line but yet, they still have the love affair with Smith.
How much sense does it make to have a number one draft pick like Ziggy that, has proven he can do the job sit the bench in favor of a worn out Smith ?

To me it's stupid to be paying Smith number one pick money and keeping Smith at starter or even on the team for that matter.
This just didn't come to me yesterday. I felt this way ever since Smiths last injury.

SteelerNation1
09-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Love Aaron Smith, but Ziggy was one of the better Steelers late in 2010. It's time.

costanza2k1
09-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Agreed, he should be a fill in person for Ziggy. He was getting worked all day long (as were the rest of the team)

papillon
09-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Hopefully, the coaches are going to evaluate the defensive line under a microscope and determine best way to proceed this year. Unfortunately, it wasn't only Smith getting blown up, Hampton wasn't much to write home about and Keisel was the best of the three and wasn't good.

The Steelers can't replace all three and expect to contend. However, Hood has enough reps to be starting and probably should be. Smith said, the coaching staff will have to tell him when it's time to end his playing days, it may be sooner than we all thought.

A lot of questions the answers will be interesting.

Pappy

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I thought Smith was done last year. The love affair with Smith needs to stop. He is old and yesterday he was pancaked more than a few times.

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Hopefully, the coaches are going to evaluate the defensive line under a microscope and determine best way to proceed this year. Unfortunately, it wasn't only Smith getting blown up, Hampton wasn't much to write home about and Keisel was the best of the three and wasn't good.

The Steelers can't replace all three and expect to contend. However, Hood has enough reps to be starting and probably should be. Smith said, the coaching staff will have to tell him when it's time to end his playing days, it may be sooner than we all thought.

Pappy

I was never a fan of letting Smith decide when he left because he was an awesome vet. I think last year we showed him respect.. this year he may need to show us some.

I'll wait a few games but it sure looked like Smith was done yesterday...

Hines isn't far behind either, old and slow.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
It was difficult watching Aaron Smith struggle the way he did on Sunday. Before we all completely give up on him, it was his first game in a long time, and pretty much everybody else struggled as well.

The situation should be closely monitored, and Ziggy has earned playing time regardless of how Smith is performing.

I'm very hopeful that we'll all look back at this thread a few weeks from now and laugh, but Aaron Smith was probably the player I am most concerned about after yesterday's game (excluding the likes of Scott and Legursky, who were a cause of concern before the season).

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
It was difficult watching Aaron Smith struggle the way he did on Sunday. Before we all completely give up on him, it was his first game in a long time, and pretty much everybody else struggled as well.

The situation should be closely monitored, and Ziggy has earned playing time regardless of how Smith is performing.

I'm very hopeful that we'll all look back at this thread a few weeks from now and laugh, but Aaron Smith was probably the player I am most concerned about after yesterday's game (excluding the likes of Scott and Legursky, who were a cause of concern before the season).

that's a problem as well... it was his first game in a long time because he was injured. He stays injured. His body is failing him and I doubt he will put up the pads without a fight.

It's time to send him a message... I really hope this is a one off but I fear the worst. That was awful and when we reference our great run D the last few years Smith has been in street clothes.

papillon
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Pappy

I was never a fan of letting Smith decide when he left because he was an awesome vet. I think last year we showed him respect.. this year he may need to show us some.

I'll wait a few games but it sure looked like Smith was done yesterday...

Hines isn't far behind either, old and slow.

Unfortunately, both of these statements may be true. Hines may not get the 41 catches he needs to get to 1,000. He managed to run away from Ray Lewis who is old and slow as well, but except for those ridiculous little screen passes Ward wasn't getting separation on his own.

Wallace, Brown and Sanders will be the first three WRs before this year is complete. I can't see how Hines hangs on for this entire season. Hood will probably be starting before the season is over and Heyward may be rotating in more often than originally thought as well.

Pappy

Shoe
09-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Wallace, Brown and Sanders will be the first three WRs before this year is complete. I can't see how Hines hangs on for this entire season. Hood will probably be starting before the season is over and Heyward may be rotating in more often than originally thought as well.

Pappy

I don't disagree with that statement pap (those are our best 3 WRs in most senses). But I would never count Hines out. He's certainly not the player he was five years ago, but still...

As for Smith, he got his shot yesterday. And according to steelblood, he got pwned by just a guy (Yanda). If Farrior was in fact benched for his performance, I think benching Smith would send a huge message to the team. Either way (old guys starting, or old guys sitting), it needs to be a wake-up call man.

BTW, I am SO over Hampton at this point. I've gone from loving Hampton (when he was in his prime), to barely acknowledging his lumpy a$s out there. It's as if he thinks all he has to do is eat as much as humanly possible, trot out there, and he thinks he's a player. MAKE PLAYS, MF'r.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Pappy

I don't disagree with that statement pap (those are our best 3 WRs in most senses). But I would never count Hines out. He's certainly not the player he was five years ago, but still...

As for Smith, he got his shot yesterday. And according to steelblood, he got pwned by just a guy (Yanda). If Farrior was in fact benched for his performance, I think benching Smith would send a huge message to the team. Either way (old guys starting, or old guys sitting), it needs to be a wake-up call man.

BTW, I am SO over Hampton at this point. I've gone from loving Hampton (when he was in his prime), to barely acknowledging his lumpy a$s out there. It's as if he thinks all he has to do is eat as much as humanly possible, trot out there, and he thinks he's a player. MAKE PLAYS, MF'r.

I'll stop short of calling him a bright spot, but Hampton seemed just fine yesterday.

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Hampton wasn't the problem... the kept running off the edges at Smith and Keisel and those 2 guys were getting run over.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Pappy

I'll stop short of calling him a bright spot, but Hampton seemed just fine yesterday.

:Agree Hampton was the least of our defensive problems yesterday. Smith was far worse along with the secondary. Kiesel wasn't bad. Farrior was average. Timmons was a mixed bag. Woodley did not justify the big contract.

One game and time to move on but Smith needs to be on the bench as does Bmac.

Shoe
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I didn't mean to say Hampton was the problem. It's just one of those things that when things are not going your way, everything annoys you. It becomes highlighted.

Captain Lemming
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Judging by the response......not so "unpopular" after all.

Except that most dont consider it a "question" as to whether it is time for Smitty to sit.

Give it another game though, the dude has pride and might be able to get it together.

anger 82&95
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM

$$$

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
If the Steelers management had ANY Brains...and we know they don't...cause Aaron Smith is still on the team. But if they had any, they should cut Aaron Smith right now, save over 4 1/2 million dollars, then with the extra roster space, sign " Michael Jasper " off the Bills Practice Squad. I know he is very Raw, but at over 375Lbs, and NONE of it Fat, he would make a great space eater on occasion for Hampton. This move gives Ziggy a starting position, and saves us 4 1/2 million to re-sign other KEY players, and gives us a roster spot to take the HUGE 375 Lb DT off the Bills Practice squad.

But like I said, the Steelers don't have any Brains!!

JAR
09-12-2011, 07:34 PM
If the Steelers management had ANY Brains...and we know they don't...cause Aaron Smith is still on the team. But if they had any, they should cut Aaron Smith right now, save over 4 1/2 million dollars, then with the extra roster space, sign " Michael Jasper " off the Bills Practice Squad. I know he is very Raw, but at over 375Lbs, and NONE of it Fat, he would make a great space eater on occasion for Hampton. This move gives Ziggy a starting position, and saves us 4 1/2 million to re-sign other KEY players, and gives us a roster spot to take the HUGE 375 Lb DT off the Bills Practice squad.

They got to the SB three times in the last 6 years without brains?????

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM

yeah, the guy is so good that he didn't make the mighty Buffalo Bills' 53 man roster...he only made their practice squad and no other team has put in a claim for him yet.

I guess all 32 NFL teams don't have any brains. :roll:

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM

They got to the SB three times in the last 6 years without brains?????

Great, that was when Smith actually was YOUNGER and HAD actual game playing ability! Hey dude, in the 70's we went and won 4 super Bowls in 5 years....maybe we should bring back " Mean Joe Green " and start him right ?

Idiot :Binky

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 07:42 PM

yeah, the guy is so good that he didn't make the mighty Buffalo Bills' 53 man roster...he only made their practice squad and no other team has put in a claim for him yet.

I guess all 32 NFL teams don't have any brains. :roll:

Hawaiian,,,I can name, Oh around 25 players who were picked up the exact same way, and are in the Hall of Fame.....James Harrison was also got like that in case you forgot. Yancy Thigpen was also. Jasper didn't make their squad yes. But, with Hampton getting up there, it might be nice to have a Huge, strong athletic guy like that to teach for a year, or two. And if we cut Aaron, like we should, we have the roster space to keep the kid active. So saying he didn't even make the regular squad is a super WEAK argument. Not
expected from someone with your smarts :tt2

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
enough with the name calling insane.

I disagree with several posters here, but try to be respectful.

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM
enough with the name calling insane.

I disagree with several posters here, but try to be respectful.

Sorry, and to the other guy I said Idiot. Hawaiian I was not disrespectful of...I was surprised he would comeback with a weak point like that cause I know he knows that many many Hall of fame players were picked up after their teams cut them. BTW Hawaiian,,,,what former Steelers draft pick ( QB )
was CUT from our training camp, and signed on as a free agent pick-up by the Colts later that season, was on their PS, and then made their team in 1956 ? Remind us ALL again who was that Nothing Scrub ? :roll:

Slapstick
09-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Umm...making it seem like going from the practice squad to the HoF is somehow common is the weak argument here...

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 08:04 PM
If the Steelers management had ANY Brains...and we know they don't...

you state "and WE know they don't"...besides yourself who else "knows" that the Steelers management doesn't have ANY Brains?

I don't think any other poster here feels that way, even if that poster were to agree with you that Aaron's Smith better days are behind him.

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
If the Steelers management had ANY Brains...and we know they don't...

you state "and WE know they don't"...besides yourself who else "knows" that the Steelers management doesn't have ANY Brains?

I don't think any other poster here feels that way, even if that poster were to agree with you that Aaron's Smith better days are behind him.

Let me amend my response, I meant the management doesn't have any brains when it came to Aaron Smith...not on other decisions. Smith is done. I am 53, 260 Lbs, and 5ft, 9,,,and there isn't ONE thing Aaron Smith can do better then me right now as it goes to either football, or in the strength department....and I am 53 Hawaiian :lol: Really, Aaron Smith right now couldn't get by 75 % of the HIGH SCHOOL O-Linemen right now. And ANYONE with ANY Football knowledge knows this. Dude never should have made it past the first week of training camp.

mshifko
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
it's not unpopular with me. one of the first things i said on their second TD was "damn, aaron smith got flattened again." idk if it was a bad game or what, but lets face it, ziggy needs to start.

steelblood
09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
our management and coaches make mistakes as all other teams do. sometimes those mistakes are very costly and/or strangely shortsighted. but, in general, they have been nothing close to idiots. that is a ridiculous statement.

insanesteelersfan
09-12-2011, 08:15 PM
our management and coaches make mistakes as all other teams do. sometimes those mistakes are very costly and/or strangely shortsighted. but, in general, they have been nothing close to idiots. that is a ridiculous statement.

Blood, fine, it was a mistake. Maybe they believed in the Vet Smith too much. But, after getting " Pancaked " 17 times ( That I personally counted )..against a Guard who is not even a top-50 NFL Guard I think clearly shows that Aaron Smith is done. So, it was a Mistake. But, if they keep him on the roster for Seattle, then that would CONFIRM that they are Idiots and Morons.

Right Blood ?

SteelTorch
09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I said last year when Smith got hurt that the end was near for his career with the Steelers.

Don't get me wrong, he is/was a great DE but he's not as young as used to be. Couple that with his injury problem and it's pretty hard to justify keeping him around. It's a shame, because he was a great player and perhaps one of the most underrated in the league for a time.

Ziggy has proven he can get the job done. At least we know this defense won't suffer should he get the starting nod.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
i suspect his leash just got alot shorter.

i would not be opposed to ziggy starting.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Let me amend my response, I meant the management doesn't have any brains when it came to Aaron Smith...not on other decisions. Smith is done. I am 53, 260 Lbs, and 5ft, 9,,,and there isn't ONE thing Aaron Smith can do better then me right now as it goes to either football, or in the strength department....and I am 53 Hawaiian :lol: Really, Aaron Smith right now couldn't get by 75 % of the HIGH SCHOOL O-Linemen right now. And ANYONE with ANY Football knowledge knows this. Dude never should have made it past the first week of training camp.

i love when you say stuff like this.

Chadman
09-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Dear, oh dear...now the Steelers are 'idiots'?

And Smith isn't as good as college linemen?

Seriously..

I called for Smith to be cut in the off season. He wasn't. Why? Is it some kind of 'sign of respect' to him from the FO? Or did he show enough to still be considered an NFL D-Lineman?

Now, I wasn't in camp, or in any of the coaches meetings discussing player evaluation- so I can't be certain. But the Steelers FO seem to have an idea on what works- more so than most other NFL franchises- so I'm willing to believe that Aaron Smith might still have something left.

1 game in to the season & we are calling for not only mass depth chart changes, but roster cuts to bring in players from the all might Buffalo Bills PS...

How's about we take a breath, and wait for the Steelers to pound on the Seahawks this week & make us all feel warm & gooey inside as we dream of 15 wins in the season, multiple pro-bowl players & another shiny SB trophy as is our 'right'.....

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Blood, fine, it was a mistake. Maybe they believed in the Vet Smith too much. But, after getting " Pancaked " 17 times ( That I personally counted )..against a Guard who is not even a top-50 NFL Guard I think clearly shows that Aaron Smith is done. So, it was a Mistake. But, if they keep him on the roster for Seattle, then that would CONFIRM that they are Idiots and Morons.

Please be sure to send the results of your film review to the coaching staff. They obviously need your help.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 12:19 AM

Right Blood ?

Uh oh...someone tell the Ravens they just paid $32 million on a 5 year contract a mere 6 weeks ago for a guard who isn't even top 50 in the NFL (and considering that there are only 64 starting guards in the NFL, that is a pretty sucky return on their $6.4 million per year investment).

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 02:22 AM
After futher review …

September 12th, 2011

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Ravens game on my DVR:

* Aaron Smith had an awful game. Period.

And it had nothing to do with his surgically repaired arm. What was the most worrisome about Smith is that he got physically manhandled.

No illustration is better than when Rice plunged in from the 1-yard line late in the first quarter to make it 14-0. Yanda drove Smith five yards off the ball that created all the room Rice needed to score.

Sorry, having a bum arm last year has nothing to do with getting pushed off the line of scrimmage.

– Mark Kaboly

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... 9k.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/12/after-futher-review/#.Tm6GUhZU19k.twitter)

chiken
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I dont understand how Smith Was given the Start over Hood, he didnt earn it in Training Camp. but If he can help coach up Cam and Ziggy and give a breather every now and then, then okay. But He is not the player right now that Ziggy is -He shouldnt be starting over him. We were not even close to being competetive against the Ravens run game.

steelz09
09-13-2011, 09:32 AM
I dont understand how Smith Was given the Start over Hood, he didnt earn it in Training Camp. but If he can help coach up Cam and Ziggy and give a breather every now and then, then okay. But He is not the player right now that Ziggy is -He shouldnt be starting over him. We were not even close to being competetive against the Ravens run game.

I agree. Sometimes the Steelers have trouble pushing that emotional attachment/loyalty aside when a young player should unseat a long time veteran. It's a tough spot for them because they've always shown loyalty but you still have to play the best player. period. Right now, Hood is the best player. I'm a huge Lebeau fan, but it's obvious that he favors experience. If you need evidence, just look at our CBs.

Ward is another one. I don't know how you get Ward involved specifically but he's having a real hard time getting open. Sanders and Brown need to see more playing time.

papillon
09-13-2011, 09:37 AM

I agree. Sometimes the Steelers have trouble pushing that emotional attachment/loyalty aside when a young player should unseat a long time veteran. It's a tough spot for them because they've always shown loyalty but you still have to play the best player. period. Right now, Hood is the best player. I'm a huge Lebeau fan, but it's obvious that he favors experience. If you need evidence, just look at our CBs.

Ward is another one. I don't know how you get Ward involved specifically but he's having a real hard time getting open. Sanders and Brown need to see more playing time.

Yea, I don't see Hines making it to 1,000 catches, he's going to come up short. At some point Sanders and Brown are going to force him to be the #4 WR and he won't see enough opportunities to get the 41 more catches he needs, IMO.

Same with Smitty, he's stated that he'll need to be dragged off the field, well, Seattle may be his finale as a starter. I know he'll get the start, but they have to be keeping an eye on him after what happened Sunday.

Pappy

phillyesq
09-13-2011, 10:28 AM

It's an interesting balance. There is a lot of unrest in Chicago over the way they dealt with their veteran center. At some point, you have to cut the cord, but you also have to be mindful of the contributions that have been made and treat the veterans with respect.

And I'm not saying that Smith play automatically because of what he did in the past. But if the snaps are split so that Ziggy gets more of them, I have no problem with Smith starting the game as a sign of respect.

feltdizz
09-13-2011, 11:13 AM
We did the respect thing with Smith last year. Enough is enough, no way he should be starting over Hood.

Smith also had a swollen knee this preseason that put him on the sideline for a game or 2.

Maybe we were just man handled last week but I'm pretty sure Smith's age and lack of playing time are the reason he looked so bad.

phillyesq
09-13-2011, 12:17 PM
We did the respect thing with Smith last year. Enough is enough, no way he should be starting over Hood.

Smith also had a swollen knee this preseason that put him on the sideline for a game or 2.

Maybe we were just man handled last week but I'm pretty sure Smith's age and lack of playing time are the reason he looked so bad.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that he play more than Ziggy. But if he's going to get a set number of series per game, 3, 5, whatever, there is no harm in giving him the first series rather than one in the middle.

And if the Steelers end up starting Ziggy, that is fine too. But I think they will continue to be careful with how they treat Smith, Ward and the other veterans.

Oviedo
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that he play more than Ziggy. But if he's going to get a set number of series per game, 3, 5, whatever, there is no harm in giving him the first series rather than one in the middle.

And if the Steelers end up starting Ziggy, that is fine too. But I think they will continue to be careful with how they treat Smith, Ward and the other veterans.

:Agree It doesn't matter who starts. It is about who you have in for specific situations. IMO Hood would be much more effective in passing situations.

feltdizz
09-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Not sure why we have to be careful... we have been very good to our vets.

steeler_george
09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I didn't see the game, due to work. But everyone sounds as if he done. He looked fine in the preseason. I am hopeing that is was just a fluke how he performed, then again I am hoping that for the entire team's play was a fluke.

Ziggy does need to play though he is too talented not to.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM

:Agree It doesn't matter who starts. It is about who you have in for specific situations. IMO Hood would be much more effective in passing situations.

I seemed to notice Smith and Keisel as the DE's in the base 3-4 more often than not, but then in nickel and dime, I noticed that Hood and Heyward were getting P.T. as DT's in that 4-man front (which makes sense, because they are better at penetrating at this point).

BackwoodsSteeler
09-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Why do we have to be careful with them? They played and earned a damn good living. If it's now time for them to get on with their lifes work, then so be it.

Lebsteel
09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Why do we have to be careful with them? They played and earned a damn good living. If it's now time for them to get on with their lifes work, then so be it.
I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this is a repeat, but if Smith has another horrible game, maybe he gets cut, we save cap space and sign a decent FA OT/OG (if there is one available).

phillyesq
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM

If players like Aaron Smith, James Farrior and Hines Ward can't get it done, then move them aside. But if there is a way you can do it in a way that they feel respected, and that the team sees the veterans are treated well until the end, I think that does a lot for morale.

And there is no reason to suggest that the Steelers would handle things differently.

feltdizz
09-13-2011, 04:25 PM

If players like Aaron Smith, James Farrior and Hines Ward can't get it done, then move them aside. But if there is a way you can do it in a way that they feel respected, and that the team sees the veterans are treated well until the end, I think that does a lot for morale.

And there is no reason to suggest that the Steelers would handle things differently.

I actually think letting guys like Faneca and Porter try the market is the best sign of respect you can give a player.Keeping old vets around and watching them get humiliated on the field does nothing for morale. I don't want the Steelers to turn into an awesome retirement spa... let the old heads go.

I can see the Ward angle because he is close to 1000 yards and he can still get open from time to time. Smith though? He has been hurt for 2 years and he was abused on Sunday.

papillon
09-13-2011, 04:26 PM

I doubt they would cut them in the middle of a year; but they could relegate them to support roles rather than starting roles. That would be respectful and then you have the retirement or end of Steeler career discussion after the season.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Aaron Smith and not Flozell Adams Should Have Been Released to Save $

Posted on September 13, 2011 by ted

Do not believe any B.S. claims that the Steelers had to release Adams to get under the salary cap. A much better option would have been saving $4.5 million of Aaron Smith’s $6.1 million cap hit in 2011 by releasing him or probably saving near that amount or even more by adding another year (he wants to play through 2012) to his contract for essentially the same amount of money.

The loyal Smith, who has missed the second half of the season due to injuries in three of the last four years, would have likely taken that deal. If not, the team would have still been loaded at defensive end with Brett Keisel, and their last two first-round picks in Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward.

Everyone loves Smith and he WAS arguably the best 3-4 defensive end of all-time. But he has been treated better by the Steelers’ front office than any player I can ever remember in franchise history. He was absurdly kept on the active roster all last year after tearing his triceps in week 7 even though players almost never return from that injury in the same season, particularly a then-34-year-old, injury-prone defensive lineman.

And while the team approached more than a half-dozen players this offseason about restructuring their deals to help get the Steelers’ under the salary cap, Smith – who all experts assumed was at the top of the list for the Steelers to ask to restructure and/or force to take a paycut – said that no one from the Pittsburgh front office or coaching staff ever mentioned this possibility to him, although that he would have been open to assisting the team if asked.

Further, this fall long-time Pittsburgh defensive line coach John Mitchell dismissed any suggestion that there was competition for the starting left defensive end spot, even though Hood shined as a starter in replace of Smith late last season. Unfortunately, the Baltimore game showed that Smith is nowhere near an elite player any longer and at this point should be given a Travis Kirschke-type role of seeing action in 15 plays per game behind the more talented, younger and stronger Hood.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1319869/37671087E.jpg

While I am hoping he improves and stays healthy in the coming weeks, Smith has lost a great deal of functional strength in his upper body. He was literally pushed around all game by multiple Ravens and driven on his back by Marshal Yanda on a key goal-line play that resulted in a Ray Rice touchdown.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/d ... #more-6246 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/destroyed-ravens-colon-year-options-steelers-oline/#more-6246)

Steelerphile
09-13-2011, 08:48 PM
I remember when Tom Donahoe was GM and he was questioned about whether the Steelers would resign Rod Woodson, who was about 30, but had had a knee injury and his response was the Steelers aren't the "Salvation Army"..

As it turned out Woodson had good years left and made some pro bowls playing safety for the Baltimore and Oakland. Smith is clearly a shell of his former self, on merit should not have been retained. With the contracts the Steelers have been doling out, and how generous they have been to Smith, who really has not contributed much for over two seasons. I think the Steelers now could be considered the "Salvation Army."

NJ-STEELER
09-13-2011, 10:54 PM
its as if we would be better off if smith, hines, and farrior got dinged up and had to miss a few starts.

once their replacements are in, they'll seize the opportunity to start and never look back

chiken
09-14-2011, 08:28 AM
its as if we would be better off if smith, hines, and farrior got dinged up and had to miss a few starts.

once their replacements are in, they'll seize the opportunity to start and never look back

I dont know man - Smith Did get hurt and HOOD did Sieze the moment...

feltdizz
09-14-2011, 10:19 AM

I dont know man - Smith Did get hurt and HOOD did Sieze the moment...

yep, and we didn't miss a beat. Run D actually improved a little if I'm not mistaken.

If we didn't reach 3 SB's I'm pretty sure half the vets would be gone... but since we have those 3 SB's in 6 years vets are being treated like ambassadors on our team.

Time for a few of these guys to move to the back and let the kids play.

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2011, 01:30 PM
And while the team approached more than a half-dozen players this offseason about restructuring their deals to help get the Steelers’ under the salary cap, Smith – who all experts assumed was at the top of the list for the Steelers to ask to restructure and/or force to take a paycut – said that no one from the Pittsburgh front office or coaching staff ever mentioned this possibility to him, although that he would have been open to assisting the team if asked.

This guy doesn't understand what restructuring means. Restructuring is taking a player's current base salary and converting most of it (all but the veteran minimum base salary) to a bonus that is paid to the player immediately, but the cap hit for those dollars are now spread evenly throughout the remaining years of the contract. Ben, Harrison, and Keisel did not get less money in their restructured deals (and they actually got this year's money earlier than they normally would in one fat bonus check instead of spread throughout 17 weekly game checks). Aaron Smith was not a candidate for a restructured deal, since this is the last year of his contract. You can't push the cap hit into future years if there are no future years. Theoretically, they could have forced him to take a pay cut, but a front office forcing any of your all-time-great players to take paycuts is not a good way to endear yourself to the other players that you will be trying to sign in the future.

He also called Hood and Heyward our last two first round picks. There was a Pouncey in the middle.

Sonny
09-14-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't think there is any type of "love affair" with Aaron Smith. It is just that the last time we and especially the coaches saw him, he looked pretty damn good. At least let him play his way out of the starting position, which won't be much longer at all. It just had to be confirmed. I think he at least deserves that.

phillyesq
09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this is a repeat, but if Smith has another horrible game, maybe he gets cut, we save cap space and sign a decent FA OT/OG (if there is one available).

Actually, veterans at a certain point can elect to take their salary as termination pay if they are on a week 1 roster. So Smith, if cut, could take his salary as termination pay, and it would still count against the cap.

feltdizz
09-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think there is any type of "love affair" with Aaron Smith. It is just that the last time we and especially the coaches saw him, he looked pretty damn good. At least let him play his way out of the starting position, which won't be much longer at all. It just had to be confirmed. I think he at least deserves that.

when was that last time and how long did he look good? He has missed a ton of games over the last 3 years.

phillyesq
09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I just saw that Aaron Smith had nearly five times as many snaps as Ziggy Hood, with Ziggy getting only 10 snaps. That is insane. I didn't realize the disparity was so big.

I'd like to see Ziggy in the game on about half the snaps, whether spelling Smith, Keisel or both.

Sonny
09-16-2011, 01:02 AM

when was that last time and how long did he look good? He has missed a ton of games over the last 3 years. Before he got hurt. Last year. The first few weeks.

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Steelers Spotlight: DE Aaron Smith

It wasn't as glorious a return to the starting lineup as the Steelers had hoped when they got Smith back after a triceps tear cost him most of the 2010 season.

In fact, it was probably Smith's worst game in quite a while.

Baltimore ran at will right at Smith, and racked up 170 rushing yards - an unfathomable number last season. But that shot to the heart is exactly why the cagey veteran will respond in Week 2.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is a veteran's coach. He's not going to do anything differently in terms of letting Smith prepare for the game. He'll give him a pat on the butt, tell him Smith's his guy and let him go to work.

But Smith - like every member of this defense - is a proud guy, and won't likely allow a repeat of Week 1.

Part of what he saw in film this week was improper technique. He appeared to come off the ball a bit too high, and allowed his blocker to get underneath him. He didn't have a strong initial step, and it caused him to lose leverage whenever the blocker engaged him. He didn't display good footwork, and because of that, he looked like he was on roller skates for much of the game.

None of those things are characteristic of Smith, and he's going to rebound from it positively.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/16/2428968/pregame-zone-blitz-pittsburgh-steelers-look-to-return-to-basics#storyjump)

BradshawsHairdresser
09-17-2011, 12:45 AM

It wasn't as glorious a return to the starting lineup as the Steelers had hoped when they got Smith back after a triceps tear cost him most of the 2010 season.

Baltimore ran at will right at Smith, and racked up 170 rushing yards - an unfathomable number last season. But that shot to the heart is exactly why the cagey veteran will respond in Week 2.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is a veteran's coach. He's not going to do anything differently in terms of letting Smith prepare for the game. He'll give him a pat on the butt, tell him Smith's his guy and let him go to work.

But Smith - like every member of this defense - is a proud guy, and won't likely allow a repeat of Week 1.

Part of what he saw in film this week was improper technique. He appeared to come off the ball a bit too high, and allowed his blocker to get underneath him. He didn't have a strong initial step, and it caused him to lose leverage whenever the blocker engaged him. He didn't display good footwork, and because of that, he looked like he was on roller skates for much of the game.

None of those things are characteristic of Smith, and he's going to rebound from it positively.

We hope.

papillon
09-17-2011, 10:11 AM

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/16/2428968/pregame-zone-blitz-pittsburgh-steelers-look-to-return-to-basics#storyjump)

He'll be a proud guy when he's 50, but that doesn't mean he can summon that pride to play football. I hope that he isn't finished and there's something left in his body for him to be able to rebound, but pride will only work if your body can respond to what you want it to do. It looked like taking candy from a baby last week blocking Smitty.

It got to the point where I just wanted him out of the game, so that, he wasn't embarrassed any further.

Pappy