PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Fail

Sword
09-12-2011, 09:17 AM
The big fail for Sunday's game, was Coach Tomlin not having the players ready......

Sword

pfelix73
09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Agreed. It was an entire team letdown, but yes, it does start with the coaching. You can add the OL coach OC, DC, and right down the line.....

:tt1

Steelhere10
09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Like the old saying go... You cant coach speed, and we lack plenty of that

steelblood
09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Like the old saying go... You cant coach speed, and we lack plenty of that

This team has speed. We don't use it well on offense though. Defensively we lost mostly because their patchwork o-line protected Flacco and dominated in the run game. Yanda ate Aaron Smith for lunch all day long. At the end of the game, Smith was helping Yanda up like he was his b***h.

aggiebones
09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Yea, that's fine assuming you also gave Tomlin full credit for the SB rings.
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

Ravens have been stomping mad all offseason after we stole one in the playoffs. We clearly were a little off, but some guys are slow starters...especially Ben.
They will get on track. That was so ridiculous of a game though. Wow. 7 turnovers are hard to fathom. Some were bad. Mendenhall should be GRILLED in the film sessions for how he was holding the ball.
Ben was so far off, we either forget about the game or retire him. He was WAY off. But even Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Marino etc all have had bad games like that. Not comparing him to them. Just saying even the elite have had bad games.

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

Ravens have been stomping mad all offseason after we stole one in the playoffs. We clearly were a little off, but some guys are slow starters...especially Ben.
They will get on track. That was so ridiculous of a game though. Wow. 7 turnovers are hard to fathom. Some were bad. Mendenhall should be GRILLED in the film sessions for how he was holding the ball.
Ben was so far off, we either forget about the game or retire him. He was WAY off. But even Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Marino etc all have had bad games like that. Not comparing him to them. Just saying even the elite have had bad games.

You are blaming Mendenhall for his fumble? He got blasted by a 330 lb. freight train at full speed before he ever even got the handoff from Ben.

Jooser
09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

You are blaming Mendenhall for his fumble? He got blasted by a 330 lb. freight train at full speed before he ever even got the handoff from Ben.

:Agree and the fact that the Ben's hand-off was practically under Mendy's chin-strap.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

Not Mendy's fault at all. The snap was bad and the timing was ruined from the start. Legursky got owned.

papillon
09-12-2011, 12:24 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

Not Mendy's fault at all. The snap was bad and the timing was ruined from the start. Legursky got owned.

That play was a cluster F*** from the start to the end and Mendenhall paid the price for all the screw ups. Legursky needs to apologize for completely missing a player that weighs 330 pounds.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Coaches bear some responsibility for the loss. I feel that the players failed the coaches because the players didn't do their jobs on the field. Players get most of the glory for wins and bear most of the responsibility for losses.

ramblinjim
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Let's also not forget that this was a 12-4 team last year, that gave us all we wanted the three times we played them last year, with an excellent D-line. Of course, the day we played terrible against them we get destroyed. You have seven turnovers against Cleveland and get beat, put that kind of game together against Baltimore and get stomped.

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Mendenhall isn't to blame but I also saw the football move on a hit later in the game. If he didn't hit the ground so fast he would have fumbled that one too...

He needs to get high and tight because I think the word is out on his ball handling skills after the SB.

Ben should have ate that hand off... that whole sequence was a disaster.

rockonsteel
09-12-2011, 02:10 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

That play was a cluster F*** from the start to the end and Mendenhall paid the price for all the screw ups. Legursky needs to apologize for completely missing a player that weighs 330 pounds.

Pappy

I seriously think Legursky "wanted" to miss him. Big Ngata is a beast and a half, and I'm sure Legs wasn't exactly running from the huddle frothing at the mouth play after play to have block Nata. He didn't even look in that direction, almost like he was giving himself plausible deniability. Definitely not a good look.

Rockon

rockonsteel
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

I am one person who gives Tomlin full credit for the SB ring(no "s", the other was Cowher. Much the same I give Cowher full credit for that SB, and full blame for the disaster of a season that followed when he went thru the motions.). But, Tomlin absolutely has to wear 50% of the blame for this one. He did not have his team ready at all, from the first play of the game to the last. They didn't just get outplayed, they got annihialated all over the field. They looked unprepared, disinterested, uninspired and confused. And they played like it too. It's Mike's job to have this team ready to play, and he failed in a big way yesterday. Period. Did the players sh!t the bed? No doubt, everybody, but Mike and Ike. One on each side of the ball. That's not gonna cut it.

So, Mike has got to wear this debacle. And he now has the tall task of making sure this season doesn't become another post-SB apocalypse.

Rockon

Djfan
09-12-2011, 03:04 PM
On that running play, the ball was snapped early. That is why Ben was not prepared to handle it correctly, and Legursky wasn't prepared to block. That one is on Pouncey.

As for the coaching, I have to agree to some degree. It seems that Baltimore came out of the preseason with a team built to beat the Steelers. The researched and planned to have that type of a team. It was intentional.

On the other hand, our coaches seem to think that they can continue to "play our game" and see what happens. I haven't heard them say this lately, but it looks to be this way. I also didn't see any half time adjustments at all.

One more, with the talent on this offense we should have schemed to play them to the Nth degree, which I didn't see. To me the receiving corps was ignored for their talent until we were way down. It gave us the good drive we had that ended in a pick.

papillon
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
On that running play, the ball was snapped early. That is why Ben was not prepared to handle it correctly, and Legursky wasn't prepared to block. That one is on Pouncey.

As for the coaching, I have to agree to some degree. It seems that Baltimore came out of the preseason with a team built to beat the Steelers. The researched and planned to have that type of a team. It was intentional.

On the other hand, our coaches seem to think that they can continue to "play our game" and see what happens. I haven't heard them say this lately, but it looks to be this way. I also didn't see any half time adjustments at all.

One more, with the talent on this offense we should have schemed to play them to the Nth degree, which I didn't see. To me the receiving corps was ignored for their talent until we were way down. It gave us the good drive we had that ended in a pick.

Unfortunately, one player was unblockable and disrupted the offense all day long. Terrell Suggs made our offensive line look silly and gave Ben happy feet.

Pappy

Djfan
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Unfortunately, one player was unblockable and disrupted the offense all day long. Terrell Suggs made our offensive line look silly and gave Ben happy feet.

Pappy

I saw this, Pap, but wondered why we tried a bunch of long developing plays after that fact was established. Craziness.

DukieBoy
09-12-2011, 09:35 PM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

Pappy

That one play was a full summary for the whole game.

Blaming Mendy is like blaming the guy for not bringing home the meat for dinner because he dropped the roadkill possum just as he got runover by a semi.

DukieBoy
09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
And yeah, I think there is plenty of blame to go around including the coaching staff for what looks like poor preparation, poor game planning, poor use of personnel. Ultimately there was a whole lot of incompetent execution on the field.

I am watching Brady put away the Dolphins after wearing their D down with the no-huddle for most of the game. Where was our no-huddle yesterday? Is the O-line too incompetent to manage the no-huddle? Seems like a no-brainer strategy to use vs the Raven's D.

My hope is that this beatdown shakes some things loose. This team is capable of return to the SB, or capable of going 7-9 this year.

birtikidis
09-13-2011, 01:48 AM
lol
Yea, I didn't think so.

It almost looked like a trap to me. I thought legs got just a piece of ngata and went to the second level and Kemo was supposed to get the kill shot. unfortunatley the ball was snapped early so the timing was screwed.

eniparadoxgma
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I am watching Brady put away the Dolphins after wearing their D down with the no-huddle for most of the game. Where was our no-huddle yesterday? Is the O-line too incompetent to manage the no-huddle? Seems like a no-brainer strategy to use vs the Raven's D.

I was thinking the same thing, particularly about midway through the 3rd. We're down by four scores... at that point to have a chance don't we just about have to go no-huddle?

feltdizz
09-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I thought we went no huddle in the second half but once we got in the red zone it was INT time.

hawaiiansteel
09-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Steelers Report Card: Game 1 vs. Ravens

Monday, September 12, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

QUARTERBACKS F
You might have to go back to the Oakland game in 2006 to find a worse performance by Ben Roethlisberger, who threw three interceptions, fumbled twice and was sacked four times Sunday. He did a nice job to keep the play alive on an 11-yard TD to Emmanuel Sanders, but that was about it. In the past three games, counting the postseason, Roethlisberger has thrown seven interceptions.

RUNNING BACKS D
It looked as though it might be a big day for Rashard Mendenhall when he had 48 yards on his first six carries, including a 23-yard run on the only scoring drive. But he had minus-3 yards on his next six carries, one of which was a costly fumble on the first play of the second half. That was one of two fumbles by a running back, the other coming after Mewelde Moore went 22 yards with a swing pass.

WIDE RECEIVERS C
Lots of catches, no big plays. Mike Wallace had his fourth consecutive 100-yard receiving game and eighth in his career, but he could never get behind the defense for a big strike. The longest pass play was a 31-yard catch-and-run by Hines Ward when matched in single coverage against MLB Ray Lewis. Emmanuel Sanders had only two catches, both on the same drive, but one was an 11-yard TD.

OFFENSIVE LINE F
The Steelers' inability to handle DE Terrell Suggs and DT Haloti Ngata continues to be a big problem. Suggs lined all over the field and had three sacks on Roethlisberger. What's more, he also forced two fumbles. The Steelers tried to double-team Ngata, but it just doesn't work. He tipped a Roethlisberger pass that was intercepted by Ray Lewis, forced a fumble and recovered two others.

DEFENSIVE LINE F
It was a disappointing performance for the NFL's best rush defense in 2010, especially against an offensive line that had never played together. The Ravens ran for 170 yards, the most by an opponent since the Ravens had 175 in Week 15 of the 2009 season. The tone was set on the first play when Ray Rice ran 36 yards to set up the first touchdown. Rice finished with 107 yards on 19 carries.

LINEBACKERS F
The strength of the defense looked tired, slow and out of position. Someone in the middle got fooled on TE Dennis Pitta's 29-yard catch-and-run to set up the second TD, and Lawrence Timmons failed to stay with Rice on his 6-yard TD catch. QB Joe Flacco was sacked only once and was under very little pressure. And James Harrison isn't sand-bagging, folks; he was fatigued and sucking wind.

DEFENSIVE BACKS F
The Steelers had no answer for Flacco, who completed his first six passes and passed for 162 yards and two TDs in the first half alone. He finished with 224 yards, 3 TDs and a 117.6 passer rating. On the first pass he faced in 2011, CB Bryant McFadden gave up a 27-yard TD to Anquan Boldin. S Troy Polamalu got beat on another. Props to CB Ike Taylor, who held WR Lee Evans without a catch.

SPECIAL TEAMS C-
It's probably the only unit on the team where it's difficult to assign blame, though even special teams were not without fault. Lardarius Webb did have a 37-yard return on the opening kickoff. And the Ravens completely surprised the Steelers with a fake extra-point after their fourth TD. But Daniel Sepulveda averaged 52.8 yards on four punts and Antonio Brown averaged 34.3 yards on three kick returns.

COACHING F
The first mistake was winning the coin toss and deferring, and it just went downhill from there. The defense had no clue in the first half, failing to stop Rice and losing receivers in coverage. The offense committed six of their seven turnovers in the second half, including the first three possessions. "They obviously had a better game plan than we had," said NT Casey Hampton. Indeed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11255...#ixzz1XiucmNVr