PDA

View Full Version : with this secondary

JTP53609
09-11-2011, 07:41 PM
we will be 8-8 ...
ike is good, mcfadden is horrid, clark is average at best and with polamalu playing injured (like I think he is) we will be exploited....

mshifko
09-11-2011, 07:49 PM
we will be 8-8 ...
ike is good, mcfadden is horrid, clark is average at best and with polamalu playing injured (like I think he is) we will be exploited....
when you do not pressure a QB and you can't get to him without sending 5+, any secondary is going to be exploited. we didn't pressure flacco and he had to time to find open guys.

flippy
09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
the DBs weren't the problem.

Djfan
09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
we will be 8-8 ...
when you do not pressure a QB and you can't get to him without sending 5+, any secondary is going to be exploited. we didn't pressure flacco and he had to time to find open guys.

This. Flacco was hit once and sacked once. Even Kent Graham looks good under those conditions.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Maybe not, but they sure weren't the solution.

phillyesq
09-11-2011, 08:45 PM

No, they were not. Lee Evans was pretty much shut out. McFadden had good coverage on the Boldin TD in the first quarter.

The TEs and Ray Rice did a lot of damage underneath. The DBs were pretty far down on the list of concerns.

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
we will be 8-8 ...

Where do you see 7 more losses from this upcoming slate?

Sunday, Sept. 18 -- Steelers vs Seattle, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 25 -- Steelers at Indianapolis, 8:20 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 2 -- Steelers at Houston, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 9 -- Steelers vs Tennessee, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 16 -- Steelers vs Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 23 -- Steelers at Arizona, 4:05 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 30 -- Steelers vs New England, 4:15 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 6 -- Steelers vs Baltimore, 8:20 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 13 -- Steelers at Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 27 -- Steelers at Kansas City, 8:20 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 4 -- Steelers vs Cincinnati , 1 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 8 -- Steelers vs Cleveland, 8:20 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 19 -- Steelers at San Francisco, 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 24 -- Steelers vs St. Louis, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 1 -- Steelers at Cleveland, 1 p.m.

Sonny
09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm not the most "positive" of Steeler fans, but even I don't see any more than 5 losses, and that is if we lose EVERY "tough" game on there. Houston, Arizona, New England, Baltimore.

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2011, 10:05 PM

our LBers were exposed in coverage even worse than our DBs were. add in the fact we got little to no pressure on Flacco, allowed Ray Rice to rush for over 100 yards and forced no turnovers I would say the entire defense is to blame for this dismal defensive performance.

having said that, I would say our offense was even worse than our defense. how can any team ever expect to win while turning the ball over SEVEN times?

Chadman
09-11-2011, 10:57 PM
we will be 8-8 ...

8-8? That's the same DB's that went to the SB last year...what a difference a year makes..

BradshawsHairdresser
09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
we will be 8-8 ...

Unless we turn things around? We lose to Houston, Arizona, New England, Baltimore,
Kansas City, Cleveland once, and St. Louis. 8-8.

I'm not pinning all the blame on the secondary. If that was the only area of concern, we could have a better chance of winning two or three more games.

papillon
09-12-2011, 09:23 AM
we will be 8-8 ...

Based on what I witnessed yesterday any one of those games could be a loss and that includes Cincinnati. The Steelers were getting beat at some of the basics of the game yesterday. If it isn't corrected it will be a long year.

The schedule doesn't look daunting, but when I look at the schedule and compare it to yesterday's performance there are 7 losses in that schedule w/o a problem.

The secondary, however, wasn't the biggest problem, IMO. The offensive and defensive lines need to get things worked out in a hurry.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2011, 09:25 AM
we will be 8-8 ...

Unless we turn things around? We lose to Houston, Arizona, New England, Baltimore,

I'm not pinning all the blame on the secondary. If that was the only area of concern, we could have a better chance of winning two or three more games.

You did also see KC lose to Buffalo at home 41-7, St. Louis lose several key players to injury in a 31-13 home loss, Cleveland lose to the rookie-laden Bengals, and Arizona (even though they ended up winning their game) allow Cam Newton to throw for over 400 yards yesterday, right? We aren't the only team who sucked in week one. Ask Chiefs, Rams, Browns, and Cardinals fans if they feel confident that they could beat the Steelers this morning.

SteelBucks
09-12-2011, 09:32 AM

No, they were not. Lee Evans was pretty much shut out. McFadden had good coverage on the Boldin TD in the first quarter.

The TEs and Ray Rice did a lot of damage underneath. The DBs were pretty far down on the list of concerns.

I agree. Flacco had all day to throw and the check downs to Rice killed the defense. The Steeler LB's and d line were terrible.

papillon
09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
we will be 8-8 ...

You did also see KC lose to Buffalo at home 41-7, St. Louis lose several key players to injury in a 31-13 home loss, Cleveland lose to the rookie-laden Bengals, and Arizona (even though they ended up winning their game) allow Cam Newton to throw for over 400 yards yesterday, right? We aren't the only team who sucked in week one. Ask Chiefs, Rams, Browns, and Cardinals fans if they feel confident that they could beat the Steelers this morning.

That's only 5 wins... :stirpot

Here's to the Steelers getting turned around. They are a veteran team, with veteran coordinators and a now veteran coach, if it can be made right the Steelers have the personnel, experience and coaching to make it happen. If they were young and inexperienced I wouldn't be as positive about the beating they took yesterday.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
we will be 8-8 ...

KC was missing a couple of key players who I'm expecting will be back, St. Louis will likely bounce back by the time we play them, Cleveland has a West-Coast style offense that I think will be hard for us to defend, and Arizona will present a major challenge to our defense. Bottom line, we sucked as badly as the worst of those teams yesterday; if we play the way we did yesterday (7 turnovers, crappy defense), we might win a lot fewer than eight games.

steelcurtain44
09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Good grief, it the 1st game of the season. Just play better that's all.

ramblinjim
09-12-2011, 12:41 PM
actually, 7 turnovers a game and we'll be in the Andrew Luck sweepsteaks. I still foresee this as being "one of THOSE games" and getting back on track next week.

There are things that need to be fixed, perhaps including attitude, my guess is that they get fixed this week.

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
actually, 7 turnovers a game and we'll be in the Andrew Luck sweepsteaks. I still foresee this as being "one of THOSE games" and getting back on track next week.

There are things that need to be fixed, perhaps including attitude, my guess is that they get fixed this week.

I think the Colts could be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes...imagine being able to transfer from Peyton to Luck....it would be like a Montana to Young exchange (or a Favre to Rodgers exchange for that matter).

Sonny
09-12-2011, 01:17 PM

I think the Colts could be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes...imagine being able to transfer from Peyton to Luck....it would be like a Montana to Young exchange (or a Favre to Rodgers exchange for that matter). I don't think you can tell "The best QB prospect since Elway" to carry a clipboard for 3 years. Or maybe they will tell Manning that?

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
our LBers were exposed in coverage even worse than our DBs were. add in the fact we got little to no pressure on Flacco, allowed Ray Rice to rush for over 100 yards and forced no turnovers I would say the entire defense is to blame for this dismal defensive performance.

No offense hawaiian but this made me laugh. This is like saying...."Ben got exposed as a runner". The LB's on this team and this scheme are built to get after the QB. Their strength is getting after the QB. To point out the obvious and single out a group for something that isnt their strength to begin with is kind of ignoring the obvious.

We got little or no pressure because LeBeau chose not send pressure. This is not the fault of the LB's. Sending 3 and 4 mostly after Flacco is a numbers loss. 6 blocking 4 isnt going to cut it.

Doogie36
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
This is why i dont like to come on this site when we lose a game. How many teams go 16-0 again? OMG its the end of the world the Steelers lost 1 game. So what if the RAVENS crushed us. So what if Flacco finally did something he couldnt do before!! SO WHAT!!! We lost to them last year at HOME! We almost lost to the BILLS and Dolphins as well. We lost to the JETS and then beat them in the Championship game too!

Its week 1! Camp has been LIGHT for our older team and it showed yesterday! How well did we play last September? We didnt even have our QB!

Everyone Relax! Vegas has us favored by 14 1/2 points this week. It's the biggest spread on the board!! If strangers in VEGAS think we can win you'd think our own fans would feel the same way!

Our Offense moved the ball yesterday and its encouraging to see! Sanders is back and made some key 3rd down catches as well. REdman ran well with his 1 or 2 carries and even MOORE looked good helping ben out when he knew he was in trouble. Granted it woudl of been nice if Moore held onto the ball but it happens. Heath did look open when Ben threw his one of several INT's.

Defense: James finally got a holding call! LOL McFadden stinks but he was in position on that first TD! Boldin is just good!!! We handed them how many turnovers??? They still only scored 35 points and they sure were trying to run up the score.

We all chalked up a possible loss on this game prior to the season started! Well chalk it up but dont panic........i personally love blow out loses! If that doesnt fire your butt up or give you a wake up call nothing will. Losing by 3 with 30 seconds left does what for your team??? NOT A THING!! Getting Killed by the RAVENS is gonna end up being PRICELESS!!!! Anyone bowl ??? What do you do in week 1 of bowling??? You do bad to set up a low handicap!!!! Well the Steelers now have a low handicap and can lay a pounding the rest of the way!!!!!! UNDER THE RADAR!!!!

Sucks coming to work after a loss but no need to panic just yet!

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM

No offense hawaiian but this made me laugh. This is like saying...."Ben got exposed as a runner". The LB's on this team and this scheme are built to get after the QB. Their strength is getting after the QB. To point out the obvious and single out a group for something that isnt their strength to begin with is kind of ignoring the obvious.

We got little or no pressure because LeBeau chose not send pressure. This is not the fault of the LB's. Sending 3 and 4 mostly after Flacco is a numbers loss. 6 blocking 4 isnt going to cut it.

so you're saying our LBers shouldn't also be able to cover? Timmons is supposed to be good in coverage...

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1319869/37671042E.jpg

JTP53609
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
we will be 8-8 ...

I hope we dont lose 8 games but it would not shock me, I never would have thought we would lose 5 games in a row in 09 but we did......
this team is old, and that was the number one concern from my perspective coming into the yr. I thought we would be 12-4 and have one more good run with this current defense, but I dont know now, I KNOW IT IS ONE GAME, but boy, that one game was really bad, we have always had bad games that we have lost in the past, but this one was really horrid.
Hopefully it will light a fire