PDA

View Full Version : Just What We Needed

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
The funny this with all the negativity here I dont believe most of the criticisms of our team. Yes, we have weaknesses but we are the better team.

Ben is not a bum, the defense is by no means done. Our coordinators are not idiots.

But we did get smoked and had A HORRIBLE GAME....Good!!!!

We lost because the Ravens wanted it more and we felt like we OWN them.

I heard the talk of this not being a real rivalry, Flacco is a bum etc from Steeler players and it smacked of an utter lack of respect for the Ravens.

Even the normally Steeler critical media gave the Ravens no chance. Look at predictions here.

Once it looked like we were going to lose anyway I WANTED the team to get embarrassed. I didnt want to see a comeback that falls short.

The Ravens had something to prove and boy did they send a message.

They ARE a worthy rival and they can smoke us if we don match their intensity.

While a win would be better, if we have to lose, I want it to be this way.

Tomlin could not have been given a better tool for motivation.

JTP53609
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
i would rather get a message like this in week one than in week 10 like we have in previous post super bowl seasons....
it is funny how 2 weeks ago everyone thought the ravens may be a third place team....they still may, they may have had their super bowl today, i dont think so but you never know

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
i would rather get a message like this in week one than in week 10 like we have in previous post super bowl seasons....
it is funny how 2 weeks ago everyone thought the ravens may be a third place team....they still may, they may have had their super bowl today, i dont think so but you never know

Exactly!

mshifko
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
yeah i mean, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't worried. but, i'm a realist. it's only one game and i think our team is a lot better than today showed. i think we'll still be anywhere from 13-3 to 11-5.

DukieBoy
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I was thinking this from about midway through the 3rd quarter, hoping a beatdown might shake some things loose with this team, for the better.

flippy
09-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm glad we got spanked like this now if these issues are going to be a problem. Hopefully we have time and can fix. But it was really bad.

Most concerning was the D front 7.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm glad we got spanked like this now if these issues are going to be a problem. Hopefully we have time and can fix. But it was really bad.

Most concerning was the D front 7.

If Smitty is slipping, we have Ziggy in the wings. We NEVER have two elite inside LBs anyway, if Farrior is slipping we have Foote, who has started and Stevenson. They might not match Farrior of his prime but they might be as good as last year's edition.

Harrison made some plays. Frankly he gives me the most concern of all.

Casey played well, no problem there. Keisel while older should have some good years left. Woodley and Timmons are on the rise.

Overall, I think our front 7 will be fine.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
If Smitty is slipping, we have Ziggy in the wings. We NEVER have two elite inside LBs anyway, if Farrior is slipping we have Foote, who has started and Stevenson. They might not match Farrior of his prime but they might be as good as last year's edition.

Foote is slow. Hopefully, Stevenson can step in for Farrior, but I doubt whether we'll get to see that this season.

He looked better than most of the defensive players today.

Djfan
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM
[quote=Captain Lemming]

Foote is slow. Hopefully, Stevenson can step in for Farrior, but I doubt whether we'll get to see that this season.

He looked better than most of the defensive players today.[/quote:2gjn7fxp]

That's not saying much, really.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
[quote=Captain Lemming]

He looked better than most of the defensive players today.[/quote:2kv325ot]

My concerns are his back and I have no confidence that Worilds can replace what he brings.

flippy
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Was Farrior hurt? Seems like we got a lot of Foote very early on.

Djfan
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Was Farrior hurt? Seems like we got a lot of Foote very early on.

I didn't hear about any injury, but he sure sat down a lot today.

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, we have weaknesses but we are the better team.

Not right now. Maybe by seasons end the Steelers are better than the Ravens but as of right now the Ravens are cleary a better football team.

Ben is not a bum

He's one of the best in the game

..the defense is by no means done. Our coordinators are not idiots.

There are some on the defense who are very close to being done...Farrior and Smith.

I agree that the cordinators are not idiots...but LeBeau is being very stubborn and is not attacking the QB like he once did. This is a major problem. Going against the way your defense is built is asking for it to be beaten..and beaten bad.

And coaches who continue to play starters who are constantly getting beaten (McFadden, Clark, Farrior, etc.), is something close to being idiodic.

DukieBoy
09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I think we were so bad today that we made the Ravens look better than what they really will be on average through the full season.

eniparadoxgma
11-04-2011, 07:50 AM
The funny this with all the negativity here I dont believe most of the criticisms of our team. Yes, we have weaknesses but we are the better team.

I couldn't disagree more with the above. That's the same type of mentality that Harbaugh and the Ravens utilize every time we beat them. I think the Bungles use it as well. Regardless, the way that the better team is decided is on the field. That's how it works. The team that wins = the better team (at that time). If we were the better team Sunday, we would've won. Sure, there is the possibility that we can get significantly better, make the right adjustments, and beat them in November. If we do, then we will be the better team (at that time).

My point is that there is only one way to tell who the better team is typically (except for instances of complete ref failure) and that is by who wins the games. That's the rubric, and I just don't put much credence into the "we are the better team but we weren't firing on all cylinders etc etc" angle. You win or you lose and the better team comes out on top.

As for your main point, I'm hoping that it rings true. I'm hoping that getting completely annihilated on opening day by the purple oompa loompa-usin (Rice) jagoffs serves as inspiration and motivation. It has to be humbling, because we got trucked.

Sugar
11-04-2011, 10:00 AM
And here we are again, with so many not taking the Ravens seriously...

feltdizz
11-04-2011, 10:52 AM
And here we are again, with so many not taking the Ravens seriously...

we as fans have no impact on how the game plays out. I'm sure the players and coaches are taking the Ravens seriously...

if we lose I don't think Steeler fans will be shocked, angered but not shocked.

Slapstick
11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
If the Steelers lose like they did in week 1, I will be both angry and shocked...

papillon
11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
If the Steelers lose like they did in week 1, I will be both angry and shocked...

The Steelers are down 3 of their 4 starting LBs; there is plenty to be concerned about. The Ravens have a guy named Ray Rice that the starting LBs couldn't contain in the first game. The "Next Men Up" are going to have play the game of their lives, IMHO.

Pappy

Chavezz
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I truly believe the Steelers were drinking their own koolaid week one. I think that they (as well as most fans) thought they would come in and beat up on the Ravens fairly easily.

I don't feel that the Steelers were prepared to start the season at all. That is the first time that a Tomlin led team came out unprepared.

It was something that I really liked about Tomlin, Cowher led teams were notorious for coming out slow and using the early weeks to "ramp up".

Having said all of that, I think we're where we need to be minus the injuries. Although that's going to be something that will help us out later in the year.

feltdizz
11-04-2011, 01:02 PM

The Steelers are down 3 of their 4 starting LBs; there is plenty to be concerned about. The Ravens have a guy named Ray Rice that the starting LBs couldn't contain in the first game. The "Next Men Up" are going to have play the game of their lives, IMHO.

Pappy

yeah but week 1 was insane.. 8 TO's? Couldn't stop the Ravens from doing anything all day. That isn't Steeler football.

We lost to the Pats for years and never played that bad....