PDA

View Full Version : The Glaring Weaknesses of the 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers...

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Plain and simple....

James Farrior.
An inside LB has to be able to hold up at the point of attack. Hold his ground and shed. James Farrior, once great, has become a major liability versus the run. He was blown over, pushed backwards, and engulfed with regualrarity today versus the Ravens run attack.

Bryant McFadden
This guy couldnt cover water if he fell out of a boat. Horrible corner who is going continue to hurt the Steelers.

Aaron Smith
Sorry folks. He is done. Put a fork in him. If you arent going to be able to get after the QB with pressure then you better be able to fill your gaps. He isnt the force he once was and that makes him very unproductive when he is primarily asked to do one thing.

Dick LeBeau.
He continues to go against the strength of the Steelers defense. Send 3 or 4 after the Qb and watch a guy like Flacco stand tall all day long in the pocket and pick your sorry secondary apart. How many times did we see James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley dropping back into coverage today? These are the two premier pass rushers on the team and they are being asked to do what they dont do best more times than not.

Ryan Clark.
A great sure tackler and hard hitter in the open field but a liability in coverage. And that gets magnified when you are asking your other safety to be at or near the LOS or box for a large part of the day.

Hines Ward
Since the Steelers still see him as a first or second option when he clearly doenst have much seperation left in him, this makes him a weakness. He can still make a few plays when things break down in the pocket but when he is a primarary target or first look and he cant get seperation this is causing the offense to not be as good as it could. Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders should both be moved up in the progression chart. They are young play makers who can get that innitial seperation. Innitial seperation isnt what the Steelers are getting from Hines and this is hindering the flow of the passing game.

Now...having said all this....this is only game one. And there is a ton of football left. I am not saying this team isnt going to be good when it is all said and done. But they surely have some glaring weaknesses today.

Scarletfire1970
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
no Ben sucks comments?

I am seriously concerned about the defense. At this point, there is no time to fix these weaknesses. Shame the coaching staff didn't see it.

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
no Ben sucks comments?

I am seriously concerned about the defense. At this point, there is no time to fix these weaknesses. Shame the coaching staff didn't see it.

I cant find a lot of blame on a Qb who has to try and overcome a 14-0 and 21-7 deficet when his defense cannot stop the opponents offense.

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I 100 % agree with this post, but cover your head because some lkool-aid drinkers will leave a comment about how retarded this Post is.

Prowler
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I think Ryan Clark is a huge weak point. I am tired of this guy being late over the top in our cover two.

Polamalu lacked his usual explosiveness today. Makes me wonder if he is completely healed.

I think we would be better served perhaps having Hoke in there instead of Hampton. Please draft a new NT to replace Casey.

I have never much liked McFadden. Can we start Lewis please?

People will hate me for this but I think we screwed up paying Woodley all of these millions of dollars. An OLB in a 3-4 D should always have lots of tackles. Needless to say Woodley ain't no James Harrison in this regard. Just saying.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
no Ben sucks comments?

I cant find a lot of blame on a Qb who has to try and overcome a 14-0 and 21-7 deficet when his defense cannot stop the opponents offense.

Plenty of blame to go around. Defense, offense INCLUDING BEN were horrible. You wanna do the blame game it goes both ways. Show me an offense team that gives up 7 turnovers and I'll show you a defense that looks PATHETIC.

The hero worship our QB get is ridiculous that we constantly BLAME EVERYBODY ELSE WHEN HE PLAYS BAD.

The pass defense was bad
The run defense was bad
The pass offense was bad
The running backs were bad, especially when it came to turnovers.

They ALL contributed to this loss.

Jooser
09-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I keep thinking it's time to let some young pups play a little. If the seasoned guys are too slow to keep up, then let the pups start learning in game time decisions, at least it'll be honest mistakes. This team needs a gut check, we need to find some folks who want to play football and earn that damn money.

Steel Life
09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
The thing is...someone usually steps up to provide the example of not going down without a fight - who did?...Timmons?...Harrison?...Ike?

Let me add to all this by adding Arians' name to the list...granted he's not responsible for execution, but he sure as hell is for continuing to have the WRs run routes that take too long to develop when the line is getting their a$$ handed to them. He never adjusted...never does. And why do we not see Mendy used in the way Rice is?!? Supposedly the guy has great hands but is never featured as a true "weapon"...he's a mismatch for LB that would try to cover him.

OMG...I could go on forever...need a beer to calm down...

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 05:49 PM
[quote=Scarletfire1970]no Ben sucks comments?

Plenty of blame to go around. Defense, offense INCLUDING BEN were horrible. You wanna do the blame game it goes both ways. Show me an offense team that gives up 7 turnovers and I'll show you a defense that looks PATHETIC.

The hero worship our QB get is ridiculous that we constantly BLAME EVERYBODY ELSE WHEN HE PLAYS BAD.

The pass defense was bad
The run defense was bad
The pass offense was bad

They ALL contributed to this loss.[/quote:b719mv9v]

Ben threw his first interception after the score was 29-7. Think about it.

Slapstick
09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
When did Ben lose his first fumble?

Scarletfire1970
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":jspw53nq][quote=Scarletfire1970]no Ben sucks comments?

The pass defense was bad
The run defense was bad
The pass offense was bad

They ALL contributed to this loss.[/quote:jspw53nq]

Ben threw his first interception after the score was 29-7. Think about it.[/quote:jspw53nq]Its all Ben's fault.

I still can't believe our D was tortured like that. They ran the ball down our throats and threw at will. We couldn't do anything to stop it.

But damn, our QB sucks. He threw 3 int's it is all his fault.

DukieBoy
09-11-2011, 05:56 PM
[quote=Scarletfire1970]no Ben sucks comments?

The pass defense was bad
The run defense was bad
The pass offense was bad

They ALL contributed to this loss.[/quote:1ch53ehg]

x2. But I would also say the the OL was particularly putrid and often incompetent.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Plain and simple....

James Farrior.
An inside LB has to be able to hold up at the point of attack. Hold his ground and shed. James Farrior, once great, has become a major liability versus the run. He was blown over, pushed backwards, and engulfed with regualrarity today versus the Ravens run attack.

Bryant McFadden
This guy couldnt cover water if he fell out of a boat. Horrible corner who is going continue to hurt the Steelers.

Aaron Smith
Sorry folks. He is done. Put a fork in him. If you arent going to be able to get after the QB with pressure then you better be able to fill your gaps. He isnt the force he once was and that makes him very unproductive when he is primarily asked to do one thing.

bad word LeBeau.
He continues to go against the strength of the Steelers defense. Send 3 or 4 after the Qb and watch a guy like Flacco stand tall all day long in the pocket and pick your sorry secondary apart. How many times did we see James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley dropping back into coverage today? These are the two premier pass rushers on the team and they are being asked to do what they dont do best more times than not.

Ryan Clark.
A great sure tackler and hard hitter in the open field but a liability in coverage. And that gets magnified when you are asking your other safety to be at or near the LOS or box for a large part of the day.

Hines Ward
Since the Steelers still see him as a first or second option when he clearly doenst have much seperation left in him, this makes him a weakness. He can still make a few plays when things break down in the pocket but when he is a primarary target or first look and he cant get seperation this is causing the offense to not be as good as it could. Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders should both be moved up in the progression chart. They are young play makers who can get that innitial seperation. Innitial seperation isnt what the Steelers are getting from Hines and this is hindering the flow of the passing game.

And how many of these things were things that have been pointed out here months ago? And how much have the Steelers done to address these weaknesses?

NJ-STEELER
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Prolly not a season weakness but I thought Timmons was pretty bad today too

Dickson was his man originally on his TD. Blew right by him. Got trashed by leach on a blitz. He needs to beat a RB when he's one on one with him

He doesn't really defend any passes either. He like our DBs. Makes the tackle after allowing the completion

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2c9im0z2][quote=Scarletfire1970]no Ben sucks comments?

The pass defense was bad
The run defense was bad
The pass offense was bad

They ALL contributed to this loss.

Ben threw his first interception after the score was 29-7. Think about it.[/quote:2c9im0z2]Its all Ben's fault.

I still can't believe our D was tortured like that. They ran the ball down our throats and threw at will. We couldn't do anything to stop it.

But damn, our QB sucks. He threw 3 int's it is all his fault.[/quote:2c9im0z2]

Scarlet, some perspective please.
I never said that about Ben.
I was VERY CLEAR in saying the loss was not ALL HIS FAULT.
But lets not imagine he has NO blame whatsoever.
Ben had a VERY BAD GAME. It happens. I would not trade him for anybody.

That is not an opinion about him as a QB. It is THE TRUTH about how he played ONE GAME. Why the knee jerk defensive need to pretend he did not contribute to the loss.

Bradshaw had TWO bad games for every ONE Ben has IMHO.

Bradshaw was still a great HOF QB.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Prolly not a season weakness but I thought Timmons was pretty bad today too

Dickson was his man originally on his TD. Blew right by him. Got trashed by leach on a blitz. He needs to beat a RB when he's one on one with him

He doesn't really defend any passes either. He like our DBs. Makes the tackle after allowing the completion

True.

Steel Life
09-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Don't let one play skew the way you see Timmons' effort today...he led the team in tackles.

papillon
09-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Don't let one play skew the way you see Timmons' effort today...he led the team in tackles.

He's a good young player, today wasn't good day for him. Ray rice smoked him for a TD on a little in and out route. Except for Ike, the defense was non-existent and the offense was not consistent enough to make up for the deficiencies that the defense had.

Pappy

steelblood
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Plain and simple....

James Farrior.

Bryant McFadden

Aaron Smith

bad word LeBeau.

Ryan Clark.

Hines Ward

Now...having said all this....this is only game one. And there is a ton of football left. I am not saying this team isnt going to be good when it is all said and done. But they surely have some glaring weaknesses today.

Well if you are using this one game as the only indicator, then...

Timmons can't cover RBs or TEs
Ben could get a tax deduction for his charitable donations
and
Flacco is a big game QB

But, we know that most of those things probably aren't true.

I suggest we wait a few games before giving up on Farrior and Aaron Smith. They were both horrible, and I am concerned. But, I'm not ready to give up on them.

Regarding McFadden. He was beaten several times today. But, I thought he was in good position on most plays and it took pretty close to perfect passes to beat him.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Plain and simple....

James Farrior.

Bryant McFadden

Aaron Smith

bad word LeBeau.

Ryan Clark.

Hines Ward

Well if you are using this one game as the only indicator, then...

Timmons can't cover RBs or TEs
Ben could get a tax deduction for his charitable donations
and
Flacco is a big game QB

But, we know that most of those things probably aren't true.

I suggest we wait a few games before giving up on Farrior and Aaron Smith. They were both horrible, and I am concerned. But, I'm not ready to give up on them.

Regarding McFadden. He was beaten several times today. But, I thought he was in good position on most plays and it took pretty close to perfect passes to beat him.

Stop being reasonable.
It's boring.

flippy
09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
It was an all around horrible effort today. I think 4 guys on defense came to play today - Casey, Ike, BMac, and Clark. Other than Casey, the front 7 was owned by Baltimore's Oline. And I thought Troy was effective because Flacco seemed to throw away from him most of the time.

Casey was throwing around Birk like a sack of potatoes most of the times I noticed him. Ike and BMac were pretty sound in coverage most of the day - in BMac's defense, he was right there in coverage on the couple of plays he gave up. And Clark is what he is. He made a nice play with Foote to prevent a TD pass. Unfortunately that wasn't the spark I was hoping it would be cause the Ravens scored on the next play.

And that next play, Aaron Smith got trucked like I've never seen him blocked before. Every other series it seemed like Smitty was on his back or being thrown around like a rag doll. Not sure what's wrong with him, but I'm worried he might be done.

All in all it was a bad performance on offense. The only player I'd give a passing grade to might be Manny Sanders who had 2 nice 3rd down grabs and a TD on our only scoring drive. He might need to see the field a bit more.

mshifko
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
i agree with flip on aaron smith. i said that in another thread, he was horrible.

i don't think b-mac was as bad as every one else thinks however.

but...our ILB vs. ray rice in coverage was a huge issue, but here is the main issue: we were sending 4 and not getting to flacco, they were sending 4 and getting to ben. take that how you want. that is our glaring weakness.

Captain Lemming
09-11-2011, 07:35 PM
And that next play, Aaron Smith got trucked like I've never seen him blocked before. Every other series it seemed like Smitty was on his back or being thrown around like a rag doll. Not sure what's wrong with him, but I'm worried he might be done.

While I have avoided the panic button others are pushing about our defense, yeah I've not seen Smitty get steamrolled like this before. I am worried about whether he might be done as well.

Smitty actually looked really good, very stout at the start of last season before his injury. Maybe he needs game reps to get in playing shape. He is getting older though.

Regardless, worst case scenario Ziggy moves to number one. It was fine last year. I am not worried about the position as a whole.