PDA

View Full Version : Just saying

Prowler
09-11-2011, 05:01 PM
The whole team stunk today. About the only two who showed up today were Wallace and Harrison. By the way, what the heck was Tomlin doing leaving our franchise QB in the game when clearly it was a loss cause. I know Ben played like crap but do we really need to risk injury to him in the last 10 minutes of that crapfest?

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
The whole team stunk today. About the only two who showed up today were Wallace and Harrison. By the way, what the heck was Tomlin doing leaving our franchise QB in the game when clearly it was a loss cause. I know Ben played like crap but do we really need to risk injury to him in the last 10 minutes of that crapfest?

Good point about Tomlin....but....Ben played like crap after the game was nearly over. 14-0 and 21-7 nearly right out the gate is a hard hurdle to over come, let alone versus a defense like the Ravens.

Steel Life
09-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I think they left him in to see a couple of things...they needed to generate something positive (failed) & second, you can't let the Ravens start talking about how they drove Ben from the game - so much of this rivalry is mental & you can't give them any edge.

NW Steeler
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
As close as these games have been recently and the way the Ravens have always found a way to give a game away, I think this type of thrashing was due. I don't think that was the 2011 Steelers that were on the field today. At least I hope not!

DukieBoy
09-11-2011, 06:02 PM
As close as these games have been recently and the way the Ravens have always found a way to give a game away, I think this type of thrashing was due. I don't think that was the 2011 Steelers that were on the field today. At least I hope not!

Is there a pattern of coming out and starting games flat? Happened today. Happened in the Super Bowl. Other games last year?

steelblood
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Good point about Tomlin....but....Ben played like crap after the game was nearly over. 14-0 and 21-7 nearly right out the gate is a hard hurdle to over come, let alone versus a defense like the Ravens.

Your excuses are ridiculous. That Fumble he had in the first half cost us 7 points and put us in a bad situation. He was needlessly careless with the ball, and it was a HUGE and unnecessary mistake. Ben was one of many who played terribly today.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM

There was a point, especially the last offensive series, when Ben was still getting pounded. I was also surprised to see him in the game so late. It would have made some sense to pull both Ben and Troy late.

I guess the Steelers wanted to put together a drive or a stop to have something positive to bring into next week, but I was wondering about that during the game.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Your excuses are ridiculous. That Fumble he had in the first half cost us 7 points and put us in a bad situation. He was needlessly careless with the ball, and it was a HUGE and unnecessary mistake. Ben was one of many who played terribly today.

I am not making excuses for Ben. I admit he played bad but the defense is far more responsible for this loss than anyone else.

And I dont know how you can call someone careless with the football when they are looking away (down field), for a receiver to get open and then gets hit from the side by one of the games best defensive players. Dont you think the O-line is more responsible for that turn over than Ben is?

ramblinjim
09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
put me in the group that couldn't believe Ben was still in the game late. it's games like that when no one can block, catch or tackle that guys get hurt.

Also put me in the category with those that hope that was indeed NOT the 2011 Steelers out there today. I'd rather not be in the situation of deciding how to not pick Andrew Luck #1.

Steelers>NFL
09-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Very poor coaching when you leave your franchise QB in the game with even 4 minutes left in the game against your number one arch rivals, who are always out to hit and punish Ben anyway they can. Just plain STUPID by Tomlin!

Steeler Shades
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I am not making excuses for Ben. I admit he played bad but the defense is far more responsible for this loss than anyone else.
While I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around for this fiasco, there is no way to blame the defense for 7 offensive turnovers. How the defense responded to those TOs...yes. But the 7 TOs were all on Ben and the offense. I respectfully suggest that without those 7 TO's the Steelers are in this game until the end and the defense gives up less than 20 points total. 8)

Keyplay1
09-12-2011, 02:25 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":35ucnk0p]I am not making excuses for Ben. I admit he played bad but the defense is far more responsible for this loss than anyone else.[/quote:35ucnk0p]
While I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around for this fiasco, there is no way to blame the defense for 7 offensive turnovers. How the defense responded to those TOs...yes. But the 7 TOs were all on Ben and the offense. I respectfully suggest that without those 7 TO's the Steelers are in this game until the end and the defense gives up less than 20 points total. 8)[/quote

From the GAMEBOOK play x play section:

1stQ
1-10 Pit 44 3:18 Ben hit Fumbled Bal scored TD couple plays later made it 14-0

2ndQ no TO's Steelers have nice 68yd drive 14-7 but Bal answers with an 84 drive. Half ends 21-7

3rdQ
1-10 Pit 20 14:45 Ben/Mendy/Ngata handoff. Ngata wins it. Bal scores 28-7oops 29-7

1-10 Pit 20 l4:39 1st Int. Bal does not score. Pit takes over on downs. Drives down the field but

1-10 Bal 18 7:35 2nd Int. Any hope of a comeback now really dimmed. Bal again drove down the field and got a FG 32-7

4thQ
1-10 Bal 20 11:08 Int 3 again no pts in Bal Redzone

2-2---Bal 39 7:27 Ben hits Mewelde 23 yds to the Bal 16 he fumbled Bal recovered. What a day!

3-18 Pit 20 4:08 Ben hit fumbled Bal got it at the 9 scored a TD on 1st play but a penalty brought it back. The settled for a FG 35-7. That as you said made 20 points after they got the ball on TO's. Most of them came quick and were easy but not all.

What hurt just as much was the 3TO's in the Bal Redzone. No points. 2INT's and MM"s fumble. Just a bad day all the way around. Hopefully the optimists are right and things will turnaround quick. I think they are.

Steeler Shades
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
That as you said made 20 points after they got the ball on TO's. Most of them came quick and were easy but not all..
Wow! Thanks Keyplay1 for the stat breakdown. Sadly it brought back bad memories of yesterday's game. 8)