PDA

View Full Version : Lebeau scheme being exposed

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
It is as simple as that.

NW Steeler
09-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah, well how about that "dynamic offense" the Steelers would have this year? Does that include not throwing a pass beyond 8 yards? We'll be fine I'm sure, but what a lethargic, pathetic start to the season.

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I also agree, those Wr screens need to be thrown away.

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Difficult for me to understand why people overreact after one or a couple of games in a season. People act like the Steelers never had bad performances in the past. Let's put things into proper perspective.

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Difficult for me to understand why people overreact after one or a couple of games in a season. People act like the Steelers never had bad performances in the past. Let's put things into proper perspective. Are you watching the game? I'm not saying the season is over but they look like no match for the Ravens. They got younger and we continue to tryout Mcsuck and Gay on the field.

NorthCoast
09-11-2011, 03:45 PM
As I said in a previous post, teams will be doing everything they can to copy the GB blueprint on us. Flacco went from have no WRs a couple years ago, to having two that can take over a game (Boldin and Evans)....plus they finally realized that a lame Heap does little to take pressure off Flacco.

Still, we have games like this at least once a season. I'm not that worried. Prefer we get the gaffs out early rather than later.

frankthetank1
09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
how can it be the scheme when they have had a ton of success with the same scheme? i think its more of the defense being old than the scheme. its not good when more than half of your defense is 30+ years

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 04:05 PM
how can it be the scheme when they have had a ton of success with the same scheme? i think its more of the defense being old than the scheme. its not good when more than half of your defense is 30+ years Because the plays designed are an exact copy of NE, using tight ends and running back out of the backfieldOut was real simple.

frankthetank1
09-11-2011, 04:09 PM
how can it be the scheme when they have had a ton of success with the same scheme? i think its more of the defense being old than the scheme. its not good when more than half of your defense is 30+ years Because the plays designed are an exact copy of NE, using tight ends and running back out of the backfieldOut was real simple.

ray rice has always caught a lot of passes. the ravens game plan didnt look any different than it has in the past few years. the packers scheme is pretty much the same than the steelers. they just have a much younger defense which makes all the difference in the world

Slapstick
09-11-2011, 04:10 PM
The reason the Ravens won is the same reason the Packers won:

Turnovers

Steelerphile
09-11-2011, 04:13 PM
The Steelers got very little pressure on Flacco. I don't think this is about LeBeau being exposed. I think the defense maybe is too old because there was not a lot of life or pressure in the front seven.

Harrison is not the player he was before the injury. He sets the tone for the defense, and he overall did not play that well except for the 4th and one stop on Rice. I think this should be the last season for players like Smith, Farrior and Hampton. They have to trust their younger talent.

Fans and media alike were far too overconfident before this game. You really don't know what the team will be before the real games start.

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 04:17 PM
The reason the Ravens won is the same reason the Packers won:

Turnovers I disagree, we were down by 14pts before the first T O happened. They passes to Rice at least 6 times early and to the Te another 5 or 6. Never before have they done that.

NorthCoast
09-11-2011, 04:26 PM
When you start believing in your own greatness, it is usually the beginning of the end for a team.

Steel Life
09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Look Harrison held his own...Woodley was disappointing. And to pile on a bit with Woodley, part of the urgency that the Ravens played with was due in part to him starting the war of words - he needed to play up to his boasts & he didn't.

I do think that Farrior's age is showing though...if you have a linebacker who can at least make an opponent think twice about all those HB passes, then you eliminate it as a threat. I think we're going to see a steady diet of Farrior being isolated against quicker backs.

Lastly, more pressure needs to be generated up the middle & that is somewhat scheme related. The team is too dependent on Harrison or Woodley, or by doing it with elaborate DB blitzes.

BTW...this in no way exonerates the pitiful performance by the OL or WRs.

Jooser
09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I think there is certainly cause for a lot of concern. We haven't looked this unprepared and flat in a long time. The whole team got smoked today. I agree, we need to find some folks who will at least be in the vicinity of a WR when the ball is thrown there. Our DBs couldn't cover my big toe.

SteelTorch
09-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry, but I have a hard time pinning this completely on the defense when the offense turned the ball over SIX times.

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
The offense gets the blame too, but the defense look like it was out schemed. But like I said the game was over before the pile of turnovers took place, we was down by 14pts and we still couldn't stop them.

SidSmythe
09-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Retarded Panic Thread of the year!!

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Retarded Panic Thread of the year!! What about bringing something
To the discussion instead of calling names or don't comment at all.

Scarletfire1970
09-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Difficult for me to understand why people overreact after one or a couple of games in a season. People act like the Steelers never had bad performances in the past. Let's put things into proper perspective. Are you watching the game? I'm not saying the season is over but they look like no match for the Ravens. They got younger and we continue to tryout Mcsuck and Gay on the field.Yeah, we continue to do that and I don't see the outcome changing much. Our oline is completely dominated by their dline so don't expect a whole lot from the offensive unit, sadly.

chiken
09-11-2011, 05:19 PM
looked like we were simply out muscled on both sides of the ball. our D line was pushed and slung and slammed all over the place, especially early on. wasn't until after the fight when it looked like we got Riled up and wanted to play..

They beat us up today.

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Difficult for me to understand why people overreact after one or a couple of games in a season. People act like the Steelers never had bad performances in the past. Let's put things into proper perspective.

I wouldnt say that I am overreacting. I've seen this coming and have said so for a while now about LeBeau. It's almost as if he is trying to prove the point that he can be a great D-cordinator without having to use the strength of the zone blitz...bringing his backers.

How can you let Flacco stand tall all day long in the pocket and expect anything more than what you got out of a 3 and 4 man rush? If the strength of your defense is 4, errrrrrrr actually only 3 now, athletic LB's and their ability to put pressure on the QB why would you have them drop in coverage more than get after the QB?? Makes no sense. Saw it in the Super Bowl, so it versus losses against New Orleans and New England last year, and we saw it again today.

Me personally...I will take Dom Capers over LeBeau any day. At least he will go down swinging with his strength.

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Sorry, but I have a hard time pinning this completely on the defense when the offense turned the ball over SIX times.

What game were you watching? 5 of those turnovers occured after the score was 21-7. 4 occurred after the score was 29-7

SteelTorch
09-11-2011, 06:03 PM

What game were you watching? 5 of those turnovers occured after the score was 21-7. 4 occurred after the score was 29-7
That's no excuse! Even down 21-7 you can still come back. Yeah the D may have dug the hole at first, but the offense sealed the deal.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-11-2011, 06:07 PM

That's no excuse! Even down 21-7 you can still come back. Yeah the D may have dug the hole at first, but the offense sealed the deal.
$$$
You can't win when you turn the ball over that many times.

But I agree about LeBeau's scheme being exposed. Teams have figured out how to beat it.

feltdizz
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Down 21-7 the INT was huge. No excuse for that horrible pass. Blame falls on everyone's shoulders.

Oviedo
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe we forgot to tell the Ravens what our defensive rankings have been in the past several years and they shouldn't try against us. :wink:

Green Bay did expose us, just like the Pats routinely have done. Many want to say only elite QBs can do that so I guess Flacco is now elite. Other teams are adjusting how they attack us, but I'm sure that we will stick to the same old thing that we do with the same mediocre players trying to cover WRs because its always worked before.

feltdizz
09-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe we forgot to tell the Ravens what our defensive rankings have been in the past several years and they shouldn't try against us. :wink:

Green Bay did expose us, just like the Pats routinely have done. Many want to say only elite QBs can do that so I guess Flacco is now elite. Other teams are adjusting how they attack us, but I'm sure that we will stick to the same old thing that we do with the same mediocre players trying to cover WRs because its always worked before.

Flacco is not elite... but we don't usually play like that against Flacco. Ravens came to play.

Oviedo
09-11-2011, 06:28 PM

I wouldnt say that I am overreacting. I've seen this coming and have said so for a while now about LeBeau. It's almost as if he is trying to prove the point that he can be a great D-cordinator without having to use the strength of the zone blitz...bringing his backers.

How can you let Flacco stand tall all day long in the pocket and expect anything more than what you got out of a 3 and 4 man rush? If the strength of your defense is 4, errrrrrrr actually only 3 now, athletic LB's and their ability to put pressure on the QB why would you have them drop in coverage more than get after the QB?? Makes no sense. Saw it in the Super Bowl, so it versus losses against New Orleans and New England last year, and we saw it again today.

Me personally...I will take Dom Capers over LeBeau any day. At least he will go down swinging with his strength.

I agree about Capers and have been getting beaten up for two years for seeing what was finally clear to everyone today. The scheme is figured out. When teams spread us out we can't bring our LBs so there is no pressure. Everyone has figured out that with no pressure we are very vulnerable.

Does anyone really think anything will change???? Maybe the defense will have some great games this year, but is anyone really confident they can beat the teams you need to beat to win a championship doing what we saw today???

NWNewell
09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
It was one game.

Nothing is ever as bad, or as good, as it seems. I thought that was about as bad an all round performance as I've seen from the Steelers in a long time. But perheps that butt kicking is just what they needed.

Let's see where we are at week 5.

Steel Life
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
A little perspective here...didn't everybody see how Capers' defense got lit up Thursday night? He was spread out too - it's a deficiency of the 3-4 in general.

Also, you don't have to be an "elite" QB to do this to us, I remember Bruce Gradkowski beating us & he's hardly "elite". As for Flacco...he's not elite, it's just easy to look sharp when there's no pressure. Put him on his a$$, punch him in the mouth & he'll fold - we didn't do that & paid the price.

Steelhere10
09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
If you don't think the Ravens exposed Lebeau scheme, just read this article on how many times the rb and te was targeted and had receptions. And then go back and look at the NE game from last year and years previous. And we all know Flacco is not elite.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/st ... ame-recap/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/steelers-lose-35-7-to-the-ravens-in-week-1-game-recap/)

flippy
09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Everyone's gonna be exposed with the front 7 doesn't come to play.

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
It's not the scheme folks. Do you not undersand that LeBeau has stop running the actual scheme (zone blitz), for quite some time now? He is bringing 3 and 4 after the quarter most of the time now. Once in a while he brings 5. But 6 blocking 5 isnt a blitz. The numbers arent there to get after the QB.

And yeah..Capers defense got beat bad Monday night...but as I said..at least he goes down swinging with what is his strength. And that is getting after the QB...or at least trying too.

If a team beats you... then ya just tip your cap. But to go down getting beat like a dog when you are dropping 6, 7, and 8 in coverage is pathetic!!

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2011, 08:20 PM

How long has a while been, several years? He blitzed the LB's. The players had problems winning the one on one match ups up front. It's the players job to win those match ups. It's why they get paid. As I always state, look at the execution before looking at the coaches.

Fans will need to rewatch the game to get a realistic idea of how often they blitzed the LB's. I believe they mixed things up in an attempt to apply pressure.

Lebeau and Capers are both good D coordinators. They are only as good as the players execution.

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 08:29 PM

How long has a while been, several years? He blitzed the LB's. The players had problems winning the one on one match ups up front. It's the players job to win those match ups. It's why they get paid. As I always state, look at the execution before looking at the coaches.

Fans will need to rewatch the game to get a realistic idea of how often they blitzed the LB's. I believe they mixed things up in an attempt to apply pressure.

Lebeau and Capers are both good D coordinators. They are only as good as the players execution.

Bringing a LB or even two in some cases is not a blitz when you have a 3 man front. A blitz is when you bring at least one more than the other teams has blocking.

How many times did you see more Steeler pass rushers than Raven blockers today?
:idea:

BURGH86STEEL
09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
[quote=BURGH86STEEL]Difficult for me to understand why people overreact after one or a couple of games in a season. People act like the Steelers never had bad performances in the past. Let's put things into proper perspective.

Bringing a LB or even two in some cases is not a blitz when you have a 3 man front. A blitz is when you bring at least one more than the other teams has blocking.

How many times did you see more Steeler pass rushers than Raven blockers today?
:idea:[/quote:3v40l1px]

There are variations to the way the Steelers blitz. I don't recall how many times they blitzed. I do recall that several players had one on one match ups and loss. The coaches helped to create those one on one match ups. I believe the players need to win one on one match ups.

phillyesq
09-11-2011, 09:21 PM
It was one game.

Nothing is ever as bad, or as good, as it seems. I thought that was about as bad an all round performance as I've seen from the Steelers in a long time. But perheps that butt kicking is just what they needed.

Let's see where we are at week 5.

:Agree

Excellent post.

Slapstick
09-11-2011, 11:15 PM
How many sacks did the Packers have last year compared to the Steelers?

Harrison has 45.5 sacks in 4 years as a starter...

Woodley has 35 sacks in 3 years as a starter...

LeBeau uses the strengths of his players just fine...

One game doesn't tell the entire story...

Dee Dub
09-11-2011, 11:45 PM
How many sacks did the Packers have last year compared to the Steelers?

Harrison has 45.5 sacks in 4 years as a starter...

Woodley has 35 sacks in 3 years as a starter...

LeBeau uses the strengths of his players just fine...

One game doesn't tell the entire story...

One game?? You're right....now go look back at the last 6 loses the Steelers have had.

Today, the Super Bowl, Ravens 17-14 last year, Saints 20 Steelers 10 last year, Patriots 39 Steelers 26 last year, and Jets 22 Steelers 17 last year. Each one of them has the same theme. Very little pressure on the QB.

In each of those loses LeBeau has refused to go with the strength of the Steelers defense. And each time they lost.

And as great as LeBeau is he is blinded by the fact that his 6, 7, or 8 in coverage, isnt working.

Anybody know what happens when Flacco is pressured? He makes mistakes. When he has all the time in the world with little pressure he carves up the Steelers. And he's only Flacco. Not Brees, Rodgers, or Brady.

NJ-STEELER
09-12-2011, 01:44 AM
No defense is gonna get tO the QB when there are backs and TEs open On short routes within 5 yards of the LOS. The ball is gone to quick. At some point we need to cover these guys a bit tighter

Shoe
09-12-2011, 03:01 AM
It's not TOTALLY the scheme.
It's not TOTALLY the defense (or the offense for that matter).
It's not TOTALLY the players (age).

But I do think it's a combination of those things, along with the opponent. The Ravens seem (after one game) to have a spirit that is palpable. And we might look back on this game as a sign. They're a good team. They're hungry. They're sick of getting their a$s handed to them by us. And they know us.

I will say though, that they moved the ball almost as effortlessly as the Cheats* do, and as the Packers did against us.

Next week should be a better indicator of our playoff prospects. If we come out and handle the Bags like we should... I think we can be in the mix of things at the end still. HOWEVER, if we come out and have really any sort of battle with the Bags, it's going to be a rollercoaster season of lows and highs.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-12-2011, 09:51 AM
No defense is gonna get tO the QB when there are backs and TEs open On short routes within 5 yards of the LOS. The ball is gone to quick.

$$$$$$$

That's the recipe to defeat the Steelers.

At some point we need to cover these guys a bit tighter

$$$$$$$
We have to make some changes here. Same old same old is NOT going to get it done.

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 09:55 AM
GB went downfield all game. NE dumps off underneath and runs free... total NE copycat.Usually we rattle Flacco but damn, he was on yesterday.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
GB went downfield all game. NE dumps off underneath and runs free... total NE copycat.Usually we rattle Flacco but damn, he was on yesterday.

He was on because we could not cover the receivers, whether they be RB, TE or WR. This is the problem. The league and offenses evolved and we remain whetted to a "keep them in front of you" zone scheme. Flacco was accurate yesterday but how many catches did his receiver have to make under duress with somone blanketed all over them. Very few.

I have to give the Ravens credit they saw what we struggle with and game planned perfectly.

steelblood
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM

He was on because we could not cover the receivers, whether they be RB, TE or WR. This is the problem. The league and offenses evolved and we remain whetted to a "keep them in front of you" zone scheme. Flacco was accurate yesterday but how many catches did his receiver have to make under duress with somone blanketed all over them. Very few.

I have to give the Ravens credit they saw what we struggle with and game planned perfectly.

This is actually not entirely accurate. The Steelers played quite a bit of press man. McFadden was given the opportunity to bump and run with Boldin. His positioning wasn't bad, but he was outfought for the ball (which was generally very well thrown). Timmons had man coverage on Rice for the TD. Polamalu was underneath Dixon on his TD. We didn't simply sit back. On the TD passes, we lost individual battles.

Now, we did get out schemed on their dump offs and screens. But, that is another story. There was absolutely no one there. It wasn't a matter of sitting back. We just lost the man and they burned us over and over.

grotonsteel
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Did anyone see the amount of time Flacco had in the pocket??? 6-sec min.

To me Aaron Smith is done. He needs to benched and pushed into backup role. I like A.Smith a lot but i think he is done. I would say defensive backs did not looked that bad but Front 7 were horrible.Only player from that group that came to play was Harrison IMO.

And how in the world do you not content ray Rice??? He is their only offense and still he was open all over the field.

I wished Steelers had spent money on O-line in the offseason.

NWNewell
09-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Every year people complain about LeBeau's defense. But every year the defense ranks where? I've been hearing the NE argument since 2003 or 2004.

No, it's not perfect. Yes, there are times when it is exposed. They will have good games and bad games. Good years, and not so good years. But how many Superbowls have we gotten to in since LeBeau has been the DC? How many have we won? What DC, defense, team has done better since LeBeau has been the DC? Not many.

Some will argue that without Ben, LeBeau's defense would not have gotten them to the Superbowls. Some will argue that without LeBeau's defense, Ben would not have made it to the superbowls. Personally, I think it took both... AND the rest of the team.

LeBeau's defense, and Ben, helped us get to the superbowl just last year, and the defense allowed the fewest points/game & yards/play (in case some of you forgot).

Yes, it was an awful performance by just about everyone yesterday. I'm not saying we don't need to adjust. But we've had awful performances in the past and have rebounded without running LeBeau, his scheme, or all the players out of town (that was probably due to some adaptation and adjustments, not wholesale schematic changes).

So lets stop the knee-jerk over-reactions. And stop whining like bitchy little girls. Things are rarely as bad, or as good, as they seem. Lets see where this team is around week 5 or 6 before all us "GM's" cannibalize the team.

BURGH86STEEL
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Every year people complain about LeBeau's defense. But every year the defense ranks where? I've been hearing the NE argument since 2003 or 2004.

No, it's not perfect. Yes, there are times when it is exposed. They will have good games and bad games. Good years, and not so good years. But how many Superbowls have we gotten to in since LeBeau has been the DC? How many have we won? What DC, defense, team has done better since LeBeau has been the DC? Not many.

Some will argue that without Ben, LeBeau's defense would not have gotten them to the Superbowls. Some will argue that without LeBeau's defense, Ben would not have made it to the superbowls. Personally, I think it took both... AND the rest of the team.

LeBeau's defense, and Ben, helped us get to the superbowl just last year, and the defense allowed the fewest points/game & yards/play (in case some of you forgot).

Yes, it was an awful performance by just about everyone yesterday. We've had awful performances in the past and have rebounded without running LeBeau, his scheme, or all the players out of town.

So lets stop the knee-jerk over-reactions. And stop whining like bitchy little girls. Things are rarely as bad, or as good, as they seem. Lets see where this team is around week 5 or 6 before all us "GM's" cannibalize the team.

The reason the Steelers remain on of the better organizations is because they don't overreact like fans after bad games or seasons.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 11:13 AM
[quote="NWNewell"]Yes, it was an awful performance by just about everyone yesterday. I'm not saying we don't need to adjust. But we've had awful performances in the past and have rebounded without running LeBeau, his scheme, or all the players out of town (that was probably due to some adaptation and adjustments, not wholesale schematic changes).
quote]

Sorry, but this is a three year problem where we can't get decent CBs on the field because we have them wasting away on the sideline "learning LeBeau's system." Baltimore's first year defensive coordinator seemed to have zero issues yesterday with a rookie and player who had one career start in line up.

If our defense is so complex we can't get players on the field then there is a problem because we had bad players on the field yesterday who were clearly overmatched. Who did we fool with our complex defense yesterday or in the past Super Bowl?

Northern_Blitz
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
It is as simple as that.

So you don't feel that the SEVEN turnovers from the offence played a part in the loss?

Certainly, the D shat the bed. But to say that this loss is only on the D is rediculous. This was an entire team failure.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Yes, it was an awful performance by just about everyone yesterday. I'm not saying we don't need to adjust. But we've had awful performances in the past and have rebounded without running LeBeau, his scheme, or all the players out of town (that was probably due to some adaptation and adjustments, not wholesale schematic changes).

:Clap :Clap :Clap

NWNewell
09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Sorry, but this is a three year problem where we can't get decent CBs on the field because we have them wasting away on the sideline "learning LeBeau's system." Baltimore's first year defensive coordinator seemed to have zero issues yesterday with a rookie and player who had one career start in line up.

If our defense is so complex we can't get players on the field then there is a problem because we had bad players on the field yesterday who were clearly overmatched. Who did we fool with our complex defense yesterday or in the past Super Bowl?

I don't think we have Jimmy Smith type CB talent sitting on the sidelines.

Our defense has been "clearly" over matched in the past, and "clearly" over matched the very same team on other occasions.

This three year problem you speak of.... you mean the same three years where we were 1st, 5th, & 1st in points allowed and 2nd, 5th, 1st in yards/game? That is a problem I'm happy to keep. And people have been making the same complaints for much longer than three years.

Some people will just not be happy unless they walk on water every Sunday.

fezziwig
09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Lebeau better go back to the drawing board because the Jets in the playoffs, Packers in the Super Bowl and now the Ravens have proved our defense is not what everyone would like to believe it is.

Used to be only teams could throw on us but the Ravens proved they can throw and run.
Is Lebeau so stupid that he doesn't realize every team will be attacking through the air and good tightends have owned him over the years ?

I have no problem bitiching about Arians but now it is time for Lebeau to take the heat.
He, Tomlin or whom ever better wake up and smell the coffee with Aaron Smith, Farrior and Timmons. Smith too old, Farrior too slow and Timmons is alway going to have his breakout out season next year.

Is Troy still on this team ?

BURGH86STEEL
09-12-2011, 11:31 AM

I don't think we have Jimmy Smith type CB talent sitting on the sidelines.

Our defense has been "clearly" over matched in the past, and "clearly" over matched the very same team on other occasions.

This three year problem you speak of.... you mean the same three years where we were 1st, 5th, & 1st in points allowed and 2nd, 5th, 1st in yards/game? That is a problem I'm happy to keep. And people have been making the same complaints for much longer than three years.

Some people will just not be happy unless they walk on water every Sunday.

I agree.

phillyesq
09-12-2011, 11:38 AM
quote]

Your anti-Lebeau agenda, which you've been promoting since the days of the Trib board, is growing tiresome. You must be thrilled that yesterday's game met your agenda so well.

McFadden was in tight coverage on Boldin on the first TD. If that throw was off just a bit, he has a pick. Ike Taylor eliminated Lee Evans from the game, often playing press coverage.

Timmons was burned in coverage just like everybody else yesterday. Yet, not one mention from you of that, likely because it doesn't fit your agenda. For the record, I think he'll be fine, but if we're going to hysterically overreact, lets not leave anybody out.

Finally, what great cover guys were sitting on the bench and not playing yesterday? Keenan Lewis? Maybe they can call your boy, and current grocery clerk, Joe Burnett.

SteelBucks
09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
quote]

Your anti-Lebeau agenda, which you've been promoting since the days of the Trib board, is growing tiresome. You must be thrilled that yesterday's game met your agenda so well.

McFadden was in tight coverage on Boldin on the first TD. If that throw was off just a bit, he has a pick. Ike Taylor eliminated Lee Evans from the game, often playing press coverage.

Timmons was burned in coverage just like everybody else yesterday. Yet, not one mention from you of that, likely because it doesn't fit your agenda. For the record, I think he'll be fine, but if we're going to hysterically overreact, lets not leave anybody out.

Finally, what great cover guys were sitting on the bench and not playing yesterday? Keenan Lewis? Maybe they can call your boy, and current grocery clerk, Joe Burnett.

There are three things in life that are guaranteed. Death, taxes and fans complaining about LeBeau's defensive system after a loss.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
No defense is gonna get tO the QB when there are backs and TEs open On short routes within 5 yards of the LOS. The ball is gone to quick. At some point we need to cover these guys a bit tighter

I guess some of you just dont get it??? This team is not built to cover. The personnel isnt there to cover. McFadden, Gay, Clark, Farrior, and Woodley are not going to win any cover battles. This team is built to get after the QB. And even on the short drops they can still make a QB get rid of the ball sooner than he wants to or at least disrupt that passing lanes with pressure. Put pressure or at least the thought of pressure and Flacco will make mistakes. Go down swinging with your strength.

This is not an attack on LeBeau. He is a living legend but in the last 6 losses the Steelers have had he has played a major part in it my going away from the strength of the defense. It is a fact. Look it up!!!

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
quote]

There are three things in life that are guaranteed. Death, taxes and fans complaining about LeBeau's defensive system after a loss.

Can you explain the last 6 loses the Steelers have had and why LeBeau has chosen not to bring pressure on the QB in those games?

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
It is as simple as that.

So you don't feel that the SEVEN turnovers from the offence played a part in the loss?

It was 21-7 before there was ever a turnover from the Steelers offense.

Slapstick
09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Simpely put, the Ravens wanted it more yesterday...they have been scheming and dreaming about this day for eight months...the day they would start the season with Pittsburgh at home...

I will go on record to say that the Ravens will not be able to maintain this intensity over the course of a season...I wonder if they will be able to keep it up next week...

Harbaugh was positively giddy after the game, to a degree that was borderline unprofessional...he had FINALLY beaten the Steelers!!!!

We'll see how it shakes out for the rest of the season...

papillon
09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
quote]

Can you explain the last 6 loses the Steelers have had and why LeBeau has chosen not to bring pressure on the QB in those games?

My explanation for yesterday would be that Harrison and Woodley (The two players that the Steelers rely on most to apply pressure.) lost their one-on-one battles badly. The Steelers rarely blitz (by definition), but they do send different personnel from different angles to try and put pressure on the quarterback and typically this involves 4 or 5 pass rushers. It didn't work yesterday, the Ravens offensive line played well and so did Flacco. The Steelers couldn't win a one-on-one battle.

The only battle they won was when Keisel applied pressure when the Ravens were trying to run it up late in the game and he got a good hit on Flacco, but it was too late then.

Pappy

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 12:29 PM
[quote=Steelhere10]It is as simple as that.

It was 21-7 before there was ever a turnover from the Steelers offense.[/quote:30ujbnqf]

Correct but many can't get past making excuses for the defense and specifically the DC. LeBeau got outcoached and it had nothing to do with the offense. Arians wasn't much better but LeBeau is reponsible for the defense not Arians.

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Correct but many can't get past making excuses for the defense and specifically the DC. LeBeau got outcoached and it had nothing to do with the offense. Arians wasn't much better but LeBeau is reponsible for the defense not Arians.[/quote:2298isgl]

I'm pretty sure the fumble sack happened before it was 21-7.

Northern_Blitz
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM

It was 21-7 before there was ever a turnover from the Steelers offense.[/quote:270bzcvj]

Ben Fumbled at the end of the first when it was 7-0.

1-10-PIT 44 (3:15) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 35 for -9 yards (55-T.Suggs). FUMBLES (55-T.Suggs), RECOVERED by BAL-92-H.Ngata at PIT 37. 92-H.Ngata to PIT 37 for no gain (53-M.Pouncey).

That led to:

3-1-PIT 1 (1:54) 27-R.Rice right tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

That's a key turnover (why no one blocked Suggs, I don't know).

Second, you can come back after being down 14 (see AFC championship). It's hard to do when you turn the ball over 6 of your last 8 posessions (only non-turnovers were a three and out, and a turn over on downs at the end of the game).

The defence blew yesterday too, but that was a terrible performance by our entire team. Props to Ben for taking responsibility after the game.

Northern_Blitz
09-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Correct but many can't get past making excuses for the defense and specifically the DC. LeBeau got outcoached and it had nothing to do with the offense. Arians wasn't much better but LeBeau is reponsible for the defense not Arians.[/quote:m6nku6ht]

Not correct.

Just like there are many who consistantly make excuses for Ben (Ben is not one of them). He had 5 turnovers in the game. Every once in a while he has these absolutely terrible games. I'd still take him over everyone but maybe Brady, but when he's bad, he's BAD.

I think both sides of the ball played like ass. If I had to pick which had more "blame", I'd pick the O (terrible blocking, RBs can't hold onto the ball, 3 picks, as many turnovers as points). I think your odds of wining when you give up 35 points are bad. I'd say they're worse when you have 7 turnovers. I'm pretty sure that they're 0% when you get as many turnovers as points (more turnovers if you count the turnover on downs at the end of the game).

feltdizz
09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
:Agree

The first thing people do after a bad loss is defend Ben.... he had some horrible throws and while the Suggs sack was fast it's not like he doesn't know Suggs exist. It was obvious he was coming and Ben just ignored him like he has this awesome OL.

I don't blame Ben for the OL but the guy knows what he is working with and he knows the clock doesn't exist when playing B'more.

Bad game by all... no excuses for any of them.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
quote]

Feel free to put me on IGNORE or just don't read anything I post. Won't bother me one bit but then you won't be able to blindly defend LeBeau even though there is mounting evidence our defense has been figured out.

As far as the "cover guys" on the bench, would they have been worse than the "no cover guys" on the field. But then we will never know because they haven't served their full probation periods.

RuthlessBurgher
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
quote]

Feel free to put me on IGNORE or just don't read anything I post. Won't bother me one bit but then you won't be able to blindly defend LeBeau even though there is mounting evidence our defense has been figured out.

As far as the "cover guys" on the bench, would they have been worse than the "no cover guys" on the field. But then we will never know because they haven't served their full probation periods.

You regularly make fun of "armchair GM's" who think they are smarter than our front office, ridiculing the "internet experts" who think they know more than the guys who are out scouting games and breaking down film.

But then you go ahead and spout off like you know more about which players are the best cover guys than an all-time-great defensive coach, even though you haven't sat through a single practice, been with these guys in film study, etc.

Way to go, you internet expert armchair coach. So glad you were able to expose Coach LeBeau as a past-his-prime fraud of a coach. Congratulations.

Dee Dub
09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
You regularly make fun of "armchair GM's" who think they are smarter than our front office, ridiculing the "internet experts" who think they know more than the guys who are out scouting games and breaking down film.

But then you go ahead and spout off like you know more about which players are the best cover guys than an all-time-great defensive coach, even though you haven't sat through a single practice, been with these guys in film study, etc.

Way to go, you internet expert armchair coach. So glad you were able to expose Coach LeBeau as a past-his-prime fraud of a coach. Congratulations.

Ruthless I for one do not think I know more about anything football related than the Great LeBeau...however I know in the last 6 loses the Steelers have had LeBeau is doing something much different than what he use to do or is known for. It's very obvious too. He is not bringing pressure after the QB. And this to me is very confusing at it goes completely against the strength of this defense. And having 6, 7, and sometimes 8 men in coverage did not work in these loses.

Oviedo
09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
quote]

You do realize that this is a message board and not real life or a trial in a court room don't you? The purpose is to offer opinions. My critcisms are no different than dozens of others even though you may not like the target of my criticisms.

But can you really say after what we saw at the Super Bowl last year and yesterday that I have absolutely zero merit?????? My issue has never been that LeBeau hasn't been great, just that we have a symptom that he is not evolving our defense to address. We are seeing the same things we saw three and four years ago. When we lose it seems to always be the same thing happening. Isn't it his job to fix that?

SteelTorch
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM

You mean the way you blindly defend Arians? You're a hypocrite in the worst sense. I'm not sure sometimes if you really are that dumb, or if you just spout your anti-DL nonsense to feel smart.

But can you really say after what we saw at the Super Bowl last year and yesterday that I have absolutely zero merit??????
Yes. :D

Discipline of Steel
09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I cant imagine how anyone can say that D!ck LeBeau does not evolve. The man has been in professional football for 50 years. The one thing which does not evolve is the Steelers annual ranking near the top of league defenses.
So yes, Saint LeBeau...Hall of Famer. Then there are the anonymous folks on this forum who claim they're smarter than Saint LeBeau and why doesnt he just do it their way.... and while we are at it...why the heck is last years 2nd runner-up for DMVP still on our roster. Worilds is primed!

Playing Fantasy Football (or posting in a public forum) does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

BURGH86STEEL
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
I cant imagine how anyone can say that D!ck LeBeau does not evolve. The man has been in professional football for 50 years. The one thing which does not evolve is the Steelers annual ranking near the top of league defenses.
So yes, Saint LeBeau...Hall of Famer. Then there are the anonymous folks on this forum who claim they're smarter than Saint LeBeau and why doesnt he just do it their way.... and while we are at it...why the heck is last years 2nd runner-up for DMVP still on our roster. Worilds is primed!

Playing Fantasy Football (or posting in a public forum) does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Maybe they slept at a Holiday Inn for the last year? :)

I will go back to the same theme I spit for Arians, execution, execution, execution. The best coaches in the league lose games when their players don't execute. Plus, we gotta give some credit to the other guys. The Ravens out executed the Steelers in every area of the game.

NJ-STEELER
09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
quote]

dowling already making plays for new england in his 1st game

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 12:45 AM

You do realize that this is a message board and not real life or a trial in a court room don't you? The purpose is to offer opinions. My critcisms are no different than dozens of others even though you may not like the target of my criticisms.

But can you really say after what we saw at the Super Bowl last year and yesterday that I have absolutely zero merit?????? My issue has never been that LeBeau hasn't been great, just that we have a symptom that he is not evolving our defense to address. We are seeing the same things we saw three and four years ago. When we lose it seems to always be the same thing happening. Isn't it his job to fix that?

I write this with all due respect and no hate whatsoever. Just wanted to get that out of the way first, so you don't take anything I say the wrong way. You have opinions, I have opinions...we all have opinions. Feel free to share them. You are an intelligent poster who has worthwhile viewpoints, but your style of posting of late has been...how can I put this...condescending, I guess? I'm not trying to be purposefully judgemental here, merely observant. There are plenty of guys on here whose knowledge of the game I respect, and whose overall perspective regarding the team through both wins and losses I admire (I don't want to start naming names here, because I would inevitably leave someone major out that I didn't intend to). You were among that group for a great while, until this attitude seemed to take over throughout the past few years. At first, I thought that you were just trying to stir up good thought-provoking discussion by taking a counterpoint from what tended to be the popular feeling at the time (a devil's advocate, so to speak), but then it seems like that "stirring the pot" smiley was becoming ubiquitous in virtually all of your posts like the sunglass smiley in Steeler Shades posts. By no means am I trying to make this a personal attack against you here...I have no biases or agendas or vendettas against you by any means. Just letting you know what it looks like from my keyboard...when you are asking level-headed posters like phillyesq to put your on ignore, it ain't just some random disagreement between you and Eddie Spaghetti anymore.

birtikidis
09-13-2011, 01:50 AM

Correct but many can't get past making excuses for the defense and specifically the DC. LeBeau got outcoached and it had nothing to do with the offense. Arians wasn't much better but LeBeau is reponsible for the defense not Arians.[/quote:18j2bc9b]
I'm almost positive ben fumbled then the Ravens scored making it 14-7
it's also what the ESPN drive summary believes.

birtikidis
09-13-2011, 01:55 AM

Ruthless I for one do not think I know more about anything football related than the Great LeBeau...however I know in the last 6 loses the Steelers have had LeBeau is doing something much different than what he use to do or is known for. It's very obvious too. He is not bringing pressure after the QB. And this to me is very confusing at it goes completely against the strength of this defense. And having 6, 7, and sometimes 8 men in coverage did not work in these loses.
Dub, outside of flacco those other 5 losses came from qbs who excel at the three step drop and finding a receiver. I hate Brady and Manning, but they are so much better than anyone else in the NFL at identifying the defense and who to throw at. Brees and Rogers are also exceptional at this. If you bring the house, you end up with a long touchdown play. DL defense will let these teams move the ball and they expect to force mistakes. When our players lose individual battles and theirs don't you end up losing. That's what makes the *'s good. Their offensive coordinator doesn't try to force a square peg in a round hole. or do you think he'd have long developing plays against a fast defense? DL's system works and is extremely effective. But, you still will lose games. especially when your offense goes three and out three times in a half and turns the ball over inside their own thirty.

LouSteel
09-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Dub, outside of flacco those other 5 losses came from qbs who excel at the three step drop and finding a receiver. I hate Brady and Manning, but they are so much better than anyone else in the NFL at identifying the defense and who to throw at. Brees and Rogers are also exceptional at this.

Brady. Manning. Brees. Rogers.

Those are the QBs we will, most likely, face in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl -- well, except for Manning! :lol: These are the teams we need to be worried about stopping.

The Steelers have a highly ranked D every year. Great. I don't care, especially if that ranking comes from demolishing teams with rookie QBs or terrible OLs.

If we can't figure out an answer for Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rogers, we aren't going to bring home a 7th trophy for the case.

If the answer is "outscore them", Ben needs to step up to the plate -- and BA needs to give him quite a bit of help.

If the answer is "contain them", BMac and Gay are going to suddenly need to learn to cover a receiver, and DL is going to need to commit to a defensive scheme that doesn't give ten yard cushions.

My :2c ? Baddell's rules make it almost impossible to contain the 3 step drop passer. Beating those teams starts & ends with Ben.

Dee Dub
09-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Dub, outside of flacco those other 5 losses came from qbs who excel at the three step drop and finding a receiver. I hate Brady and Manning, but they are so much better than anyone else in the NFL at identifying the defense and who to throw at. Brees and Rogers are also exceptional at this. If you bring the house, you end up with a long touchdown play. DL defense will let these teams move the ball and they expect to force mistakes. When our players lose individual battles and theirs don't you end up losing. That's what makes the *'s good. Their offensive coordinator doesn't try to force a square peg in a round hole. or do you think he'd have long developing plays against a fast defense? DL's system works and is extremely effective. But, you still will lose games. especially when your offense goes three and out three times in a half and turns the ball over inside their own thirty.

I agree with you...yes those are elite QB's who get the ball out quickly but go back to a few years ago and this team did beat Brady. Throw in Manning to that list of getting rid of the ball quickly and the Steelers beat him too. And they beat them by getting pressure on them. My thought is...go down with your strength. If you lose you lose. At least you did it by playing to your strength. But to lose the way the Steelers did on Sunday with 6,7, and even 8 guys in coverage and getting no pressure on Flacco is wrong. Flat out wrong and it doesnt work for this team because of their personnel.

Oviedo
09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I write this with all due respect and no hate whatsoever. Just wanted to get that out of the way first, so you don't take anything I say the wrong way. You have opinions, I have opinions...we all have opinions. Feel free to share them. You are an intelligent poster who has worthwhile viewpoints, but your style of posting of late has been...how can I put this...condescending, I guess? I'm not trying to be purposefully judgemental here, merely observant. There are plenty of guys on here whose knowledge of the game I respect, and whose overall perspective regarding the team through both wins and losses I admire (I don't want to start naming names here, because I would inevitably leave someone major out that I didn't intend to). You were among that group for a great while, until this attitude seemed to take over throughout the past few years. At first, I thought that you were just trying to stir up good thought-provoking discussion by taking a counterpoint from what tended to be the popular feeling at the time (a devil's advocate, so to speak), but then it seems like that "stirring the pot" smiley was becoming ubiquitous in virtually all of your posts like the sunglass smiley in Steeler Shades posts. By no means am I trying to make this a personal attack against you here...I have no biases or agendas or vendettas against you by any means. Just letting you know what it looks like from my keyboard...when you are asking level-headed posters like phillyesq to put your on ignore, it ain't just some random disagreement between you and Eddie Spaghetti anymore.

Thanks for that. It is always beneficial to get perspective. I never take anything from here too serioualy or personal. I enjoy what we do here.

feltdizz
09-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I agree with you...yes those are elite QB's who get the ball out quickly but go back to a few years ago and this team did beat Brady. Throw in Manning to that list of getting rid of the ball quickly and the Steelers beat him too. And they beat them by getting pressure on them. My thought is...go down with your strength. If you lose you lose. At least you did it by playing to your strength. But to lose the way the Steelers did on Sunday with 6,7, and even 8 guys in coverage and getting no pressure on Flacco is wrong. Flat out wrong and it doesnt work for this team because of their personnel.

:Clap

Eddie Spaghetti
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
did ruthless just say eddie wasnt level headed?

i may put him on ignore.

seriously, i disagree with ovi from time to time, but also respect what he brings to the table. may not agree with it, but i will give it some thought.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks for that. It is always beneficial to get perspective. I never take anything from here too serioualy or personal. I enjoy what we do here.

Cool. I debated for a while whether or not to submit that...glad you didn't take it the wrong way or anything. I certainly enjoy what we all have here as well.

:tt2 :tt1

Ghost
09-13-2011, 12:38 PM

i may put him on ignore.

seriously, i disagree with ovi from time to time, but also respect what he brings to the table. may not agree with it, but i will give it some thought.

Did you just go Ricky Henderson on us? :D

Oviedo
09-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Cool. I debated for a while whether or not to submit that...glad you didn't take it the wrong way or anything. I certainly enjoy what we all have here as well.

It's all good. However, I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that my points about our defense are proving more true as time goes on :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 01:14 PM

i may put him on ignore.

If you keep spouting this "respect what he brings to the table" crap, I may start to believe that you are actually level-headed! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 01:14 PM

i may put him on ignore.

Did you just go Chadman on us? :D

Fixed that for you.

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

It's all good. However, I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that my points about our defense are proving more true as time goes on :wink:

http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/caddyshack_5F00_smales_5F00_frown.jpg
http://rlv.zcache.com/youll_get_nothing_and_like_it_customized_tshirt-p235545257764363391trlf_400.jpg

:lol:

phillyesq
09-14-2011, 10:49 AM

I meant to respond to this yesterday as well but neglected to do so.

I also enjoy the discussion here as well, and I don't take anything too personal or seriously.

Oviedo
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM

I also enjoy the discussion here as well, and I don't take anything too personal or seriously.

How do we hold hands and sing Kumbaya on a message board????????????

phillyesq
09-14-2011, 12:07 PM

This looks to be the closest:

:Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
09-14-2011, 12:31 PM

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/kissmykumbayah.png

Jooser
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/kissmykumbayah.png

Happy Dance People, Happy Dance

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/crystal1565yahoo/happy-dance-o.gif

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/photocentric/Happy/e812eef9.gif

hawaiiansteel
09-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Sapp's Comments Hit the Spot

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Sep 15, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/97/974117.jpg

PITTSBURGH – Mike Tomlin’s exhortation to reporters last week, when he asked them to “keep talking about how old they are ... you make my job easy” fell on some accommodating ears.

One of Tomlin’s old players, Warren Sapp, picked up the Steelers’ coach with these comments this week:

“The Pittsburgh Steelers, I have three things: old, slow and it’s over,” Sapp said in this week’s Inside the NFL. Sapp went on to rip James Harrison, Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu to help his old coach.

In fact, Sapp also helped the Pittsburgh media. Reporters surged through the locker room Thursday to brazenly ask players – in the name of Sapp (not us!) – whether their performance against the Baltimore Ravens occurred because they’re washed up.

“That’s not the first time I’ve heard old and that’s not the first time I’ve heard we’re done,” said 35-year-old lineman Aaron Smith. “We’ve been around this thing a few times. I had a coach in high school who said the proof is in the pudding. We’ll see.”

Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau was asked about it after practice.

“To be honest with you, they’ve been saying that for four or five years about our defense,” LeBeau said. “It’s like the guy that got up and said ‘This could be the last day of my life.’ Sooner or later you’re going to be right.

“But they ain’t right yet,” he added. “I wouldn’t kick any dirt on us. We’ll be back. We’ll be back.”

It appears that Sapp has indeed motivated the Steelers. Tomlin should thank him personally.

SCHEMATICALLY SPEAKING

LeBeau used few of the big cushions that are part of his trademark three-deep (Cover-3) zones last Sunday. He instead had his corners playing press/man coverage on the Baltimore wide receivers, who combined to catch 4 passes for 74 yards and a touchdown.

But the strategy appeared to have opened the field for the Baltimore tight ends and running backs, who caught 13 passes for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns.

“That’s one of the disadvantages of bump coverage,” said LeBeau. “You lose the vision of that guy (cornerbacks) on runs. But the plus of it is you’re not opening up all that area for that outside receiver to just run down there and turn around at 12 yards and catch the ball. Ideally you try to mix the techniques together so they have to keep guessing exactly what you’re doing.”

Look for LeBeau to get back to his comfort (three-deep) zone very soon.

“There was a game this week where they passed for a thousand yards,” he said. “You’d better keep a little bit of cushion.”

ROTATE OLD GUYS?

The Steelers have continued shuffling a large number of second-teamers onto the practice field with the first team this week.

At Baltimore, LeBeau used those players to help combat the heat. But the temperature at game time Sunday at Heinz Field is forecast to be a cool 63 degrees. Will the rotations continue?

“Early in the season I think it’s imperative that you do that. Yes, we will continue with our rotation,” LeBeau said.

Look for Ziggy Hood, Larry Foote, Jason Worilds, William Gay and Cameron Heyward to again rotate with Smith, James Farrior, James Harrison, Bryant McFadden and Brett Keisel as they did last Sunday.

“Age isn’t a factor,” LeBeau said. “We’ve always rotated linemen.”

STAT OF THE WEEK

The Chicago Bears allowed 28 points to the visiting Tampa Bay Bucs and 166 yards rushing to James Wilder in the 1985 opener. The Bucs went on to finish 2-14. The Bears went on to not only win the Super Bowl, they became a defensive legend.

NOTEBOOK

After one day on the practice squad, tight end Dorin Dickerson was placed on the practice squad/injured list and replaced by Jamie McCoy. A Steelers PR spokesman would clarify only that Dickerson is no longer the team’s property.

Jerricho Cotchery missed another practice Thursday with his hamstring injury. Practicing on a limited basis were LG Chris Kemoeatu (knee) and CB Bryant McFadden (hamstring).

http://pit.scout.com/2/1107073.html

fordfixer
09-16-2011, 01:40 AM
LeBeau stands by his defense
September 15th, 2011
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... s-defense/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/15/lebeau-stands-by-his-defense/)
Dick LeBeau defended his defense, the object of Warren Sapp’s scorn and derision, after practice on Thursday.
But he didn’t take it easy on his players when asked what happened in the 35-7 loss to the Ravens.
“We’ve got work to do,” the venerable defensive coordinator said. “We helped a team that didn’t need any help. They beat us and we’ve got to do something about that.”
The Steelers sacked Joe Flacco just one time and yielded an astonishing 5.5 yards per carry. LeBeau said it’s not that the Ravens had their way with the Steelers because of a superior game planning or better scheming.
“Looks like they won most of the battles,” LeBeau said, “and that’s what we’re working to fix.”
LeBeau said the Steelers will substitute liberally during the first month or so of the season to keep players fresh. That presumably means Larry Foote will again get some time with the first-team defense Sunday against the Seahawks.
LeBeau said the substitution patterns early in the season are done more with the warmer weather, not the collective age of the defense, in mind. When asked about Sapp saying the Steelers’ defense is old and slow, LeBeau gave his players a vote of confidence.
“It’s like the guy that got up and said ‘This could be the last day of my life,’ ” LeBeau said. “Sooner or later you’re going to be right but they ain’t right yet. We’ll be back.”

– Scott Brown

Oviedo
09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
September 15th, 2011
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... s-defense/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/15/lebeau-stands-by-his-defense/)
bad word LeBeau defended his defense, the object of Warren Sapp’s scorn and derision, after practice on Thursday.
But he didn’t take it easy on his players when asked what happened in the 35-7 loss to the Ravens.
“We’ve got work to do,” the venerable defensive coordinator said. “We helped a team that didn’t need any help. They beat us and we’ve got to do something about that.”
The Steelers sacked Joe Flacco just one time and yielded an astonishing 5.5 yards per carry. LeBeau said it’s not that the Ravens had their way with the Steelers because of a superior game planning or better scheming.
“Looks like they won most of the battles,” LeBeau said, “and that’s what we’re working to fix.”
LeBeau said the Steelers will substitute liberally during the first month or so of the season to keep players fresh. That presumably means Larry Foote will again get some time with the first-team defense Sunday against the Seahawks.
LeBeau said the substitution patterns early in the season are done more with the warmer weather, not the collective age of the defense, in mind. When asked about Sapp saying the Steelers’ defense is old and slow, LeBeau gave his players a vote of confidence.
“It’s like the guy that got up and said ‘This could be the last day of my life,’ ” LeBeau said. “Sooner or later you’re going to be right but they ain’t right yet. We’ll be back.”

– Scott Brown

"My baby ain't ugly and I'll never listen to anyone because I know it all"

steelblood
09-16-2011, 11:40 AM
September 15th, 2011
bad word LeBeau defended his defense, the object of Warren Sapp’s scorn and derision, after practice on Thursday.

– Scott Brown

There is no horse left to beat.

Oviedo
09-16-2011, 01:14 PM
September 15th, 2011

– Scott Brown

There is no horse left to beat.

Then we can stir the glue together :wink:

hawaiiansteel
09-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Then we can stir the glue together :wink:

good one Ovi... :Cheers