:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

:Clap :Clap :Clap

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

fordfixer
09-10-2011, 02:47 PM
EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
Polamalu signs 4-yr contract thru 2014 with #steelers
6 minutes ago
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

insanesteelersfan
09-10-2011, 02:48 PM
EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
6 minutes ago

Man! Talk about JUST getting done under the Deadline :Clap If the Steelers, and Troy are both Happy, then I am happy :tt1 Locks up another potential free agent. And even if I was out of line yesterday with my " Marginal Safety " comment....and I was!! :D I still now, and ALWAYS thought of Troy as the leagues BEST of Class Acts. Never do you ever hear anything off the field regarding Troy in the negative sense. He is a great Family man, and does mounds of great Charity work, both in Pittsburgh, and California, his off-season Home state. So here's to you Troy :Beer ....and I'm glad his contract won't be a topic every week, or a distraction.

fordfixer
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg859/scaled.php?tn=0&server=859&filename=1mud.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
steelers We have agreed to a contract extension with @tpolamalu signed at airport before we leave for Balt http://t.co/Kyvle25 15 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

fordfixer
09-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Source: Troy Polamalu gets new deal
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69519 ... r-contract (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6951906/troy-polamalu-pittsburgh-steelers-agree-four-year-contract)

ESPN.com news services

The Pittsburgh Steelers and safety Troy Polamalu agreed to terms on a new four-year contract Saturday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

According to the source, the contract will keep Polamalu in Pittsburgh through 2014.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Further terms were unavailable.

The six-time Pro Bowler took to Twitter on Saturday afternoon, writing "I am happy to say that I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!"

The 30-year-old is coming off the best season of his career, finishing with seven interceptions, 64 combined tackles and a sack. Yet he was slowed by an Achilles injury late in the season and admits he wasn't 100 percent during the playoffs or the 31-25 loss to Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

Polamalu, the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, was in the final season of a five-year deal that would have paid him about $6.4 million this season. He has spent his entire career in Pittsburgh after being drafted 16th overall out of USC in 2003.

The Steelers have already signed linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley to lengthy extensions this summer.

DukieBoy
09-10-2011, 03:39 PM
EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
6 minutes ago

Man! Talk about JUST getting done under the Deadline :Clap If the Steelers, and Troy are both Happy, then I am happy :tt1 Locks up another potential free agent. And even if I was out of line yesterday with my " Marginal Safety " comment....and I was!! :D I still now, and ALWAYS thought of Troy as the leagues BEST of Class Acts. Never do you ever hear anything off the field regarding Troy in the negative sense. He is a great Family man, and does mounds of great Charity work, both in Pittsburgh, and California, his off-season Home state. So here's to you Troy :Beer ....and I'm glad his contract won't be a topic every week, or a distraction.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

:Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Ike Taylor.

Willie Colon.

LaMarr Woodley.

Lawrence Timmons.

Troy Polamalu.

Kevin Colbert and Omar Khan head the Brain Fart Trust and the Rooneys are cheap!!! :?

Va Steelr
09-10-2011, 03:50 PM
GREAT NEWS !!!

plainnasty
Early word is 4 yrs $36.5 million.

Va Steelr
GREAT NEWS !!!

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2442968.jpg

Oviedo
09-10-2011, 03:56 PM

If that is the deal then Troy has proven he wants to be a Steeler versus a mercenary. I'd be interested to hear the guaranteed money because that is all that really counts.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2011, 04:00 PM

If that is the deal then Troy has proven he wants to be a Steeler versus a mercenary. I'd be interested to hear the guaranteed money because that is all that really counts.

Want to talk about a bargain? The guaranteed money on Adrian Peterson's new 7 year, $100 million is the same as the total value of Troy's new 4 year contract.

insanesteelersfan
09-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Like was said, we don't know if those numbers are true. But if they are, it is hardly a discounted deal. I mean 4 years at almost 37 million ? Weddle's new deal was 5 years for 40 million, and Ed Reed;s deal was for 6 years at 44 million. That makes Troy's average per year deal well over those two players. So it's not like Troy gave us a Home Town discount here.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Like was said, we don't know if those numbers are true. But if they are, it is hardly a discounted deal. I mean 4 years at almost 37 million ? Weddle's new deal was 5 years for 40 million, and Ed Reed;s deal was for 6 years at 44 million. That makes Troy's average per year deal well over those two players. So it's not like Troy gave us a Home Town discount here.

We gave him best-paid-safety-of-all-time money last time, and he proved to be worth it. This contact actually falls below the contract that Chiefs safety Eric Berry signed as the 5th overall pick last year (five-year, $60 million contract with $34 million guaranteed).

*Thanks for reminding me of Berry's contract, HIsteel.*

Discipline of Steel
09-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Did anyone notice its only a 4 year contract and Troy said now he can retire as a Pittsburgh Steeler? Is that a strong indication that he will be retiring in 4 years at age 34?

insanesteelersfan
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM

We gave him best-paid-safety-of-all-time money last time, and he proved to be worth it. This contact actually falls below the contract that Chiefs safety Eric Berry signed as the 5th overall pick last year (five-year, $60 million contract with $34 million guaranteed).

*Thanks for reminding me of Berry's contract, HIsteel.*

You can't count Berry's deal cause his was a rookie deal, signed last year before the new CBA was done lowering what rookies make. If Berry would have been selected in THIS draft at the same spot, his deal wouldn't even be 1/3rd as much. So that's no proof that Troy signed for less here. Bottom line, it's more then Weddle's deal. And more then Ed Reed's deal.

RuthlessBurgher
09-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Bottom line, it's more then Weddle's deal. And more then Ed Reed's deal.

As it should be.

grotonsteel
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM

I am happy Troy is going to retire as a Steeler. Easily one of the greatest Steelers player ever.

And for 9 million/yr i think its a fair deal.

Kudos to our new GM Kevin Colbert and Omar kahn. Rooneys made big splash this offseason.

winwithd
09-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Does that make Wallace the only notable free agent next year? Where could I find when the contracts of our players expires? Is there a website with all that info?

Adrian Petersen contract means we will probably hear from chronic malcontent Chris Johnson again.

Jooser
09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
FROM TWITTER
I am happy to say that I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!
@tpolamalu Troy Polamalu

flippy
09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I'd have been ok with franchise QB money for Troy.

Wooooohoooooooo!!!!!

papillon
09-10-2011, 09:37 PM
The entire contract should be guaranteed as far as I'm concerned. I hope they wrote in some 1 or 2 optional years, in case at 34 years of age Troy still has some gas left in the tank.

Steeler fans should start appreciating Troy, 4 years will go by quickly and that may be the last time he plays.

Pappy

steelz09
09-10-2011, 09:40 PM
i have no problems w/ the terms of the deal if the rumors are correct.

Troy is the overall best SS in the league and quite possibly the best defensive player in the league when he's healthy. The Steelers defense is significantly dependent on his outstanding play as represented by the Steelers record when he's NOT playing.

When a big play needs to happen, it's like Troy is a magnet to the ball. I'm happy the Steelers got this worked out and Troy will retire a Steeler. Congrats Troy, you deserved it.

AngryAsian
09-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Why are other contracts even being compared here. Troy doesn't need to give the FO a hometown discount... he's more than lived up to his contract and he's the best safety in the game. He most certainly deserves the best contract... not only by the merit of his play but also by how he's represented the organization. One of the true character guys in the league. Big kudos to yet another future hall of famer from our beloved team.

ikestops85
09-10-2011, 11:54 PM

Ed Reed's 6 year/$44 Million deal was signed in 2006. :wft What the hell does that have to do with Troy's contract signing in 2011?

My next question to you is why are you bringing Weddle into the conversation? I had to go look up what team he was on. Do you really think he compares to Troy, or Reed, or Berry or even Earl Thomas? :roll:

fordfixer
09-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Polamalu agrees to four-year extension
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-rt-fb ... 2456.story (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-rt-fbn-steelers-team-reports1012d07a1-20110910,0,5302456.story)

SafetyTroy Polamalu has agreed to a four-year extension with the Steelers that puts him under contract through 2014, according to multiple reports.

"I am happy to say I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler," Polamalu wrote on his Twitter account Saturday.

Financial terms weren't immediately available. Polamalu had been scheduled to enter the final year of his contract set to earn $6.4 million. But the sides have been working on an extension, and the Steelers recently locked up fellow defendersLaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons with multi-year deals.

Polamalu and the Steelers had been approaching an important deadline, as the team has a policy not to negotiate contracts once the regular season begins.

The three-time All-Pro Polamalu has also been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls.

--Pittsburgh-Baltimore has been a razor-close series but the Steelers have won six of the past eight, including victories in two of the past three post-seasons on way to theSuper Bowl.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley said this summer that theRavens would never get to a Super Bowl because they could not get past the Steelers first. Safety Ryan Clark tweeted there really is no rivalry between the teams because the Ravens don't win enough and "both teams have to win equally" to make it a rivalry.

QuarterbackBen Roethlisberger, who had his nose broken last Dec. 5 in Baltimore when swiped by Halot Ngata, asked his teammates to cease and desist with any more comments about the Ravens.

"It's a huge rivarly," Roethlisberger insisted, "and I keep telling our guys to stop tweeting stuff and everything because I'm the one who feels the brunt of it, not them, not the defensive guys."

Some Steelers have tried to downplay the importance of their game against the Ravens, calling it merely one of 16, but it's much more than that. The Steelers have virtually every starter back and with the lockout and a veteran team and coaching staff, they should be weeks ahead of a team like Baltimore that has undergone many more changes in personnel.

A loss under those circumstances in the first game to the Ravens would not be a good sign for Pittsburgh and could keep them behind them the rest of the season. Pittsburgh also hasn't lost an opening game since 2002, when they were drubbed in New England.

"We just open up well, it's a knack we have," said offensive tackleWillie Colon.

They last opened against Baltimore in 2003, back when that was a regular occurrence. The Steelers and Ravens opened the season three times over a six-year span from 1998 through 2003. Even though most people believe theAFC North Division again will come down to Steelers-Ravens with Cincinnati and Cleveland trailing badly, the series will conclude by the ninth game of the season and not in December as has been the case the past five seasons and nine of the past 10 seasons, setting up for some late-season drama in the playoff chase.

That makes Sunday's game even more urgent.

"You want to go out there and put on a great show and let them know what the division is going to be like," wide receiverHines Ward said. "As a player, you know it's going to come down to Baltimore and Pittsburgh all the time. It's a challenge for us to be a dominant road team. What better way than go into Baltimore and see if we can steal one."

SERIES HISTORY: 31st regular-season meeting. Steelers lead series, 18-12, plus are 3-0 in the post-season. The Steelers have won six of the past eight, including their most recent game in Baltimore Dec. 5 that virtually decided the AFC North title. They then beat the Ravens in the playoffs at Heinz Field on way to their eighth Super Bowl appearance. The Steelers also have an 8-7 overall record in Baltimore.

fordfixer
09-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 10, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56168.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html)

The Steelers concluded a busy offseason with an 11th-hour signing of one of their best and most recognizable players.

The team agreed to a four-year contract with strong safety Troy Polamalu, locking up the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year through the 2014 season.

"I'm happy to say I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!" he wrote on his Twitter account Saturday.

Polamalu, 30, signed his new contract at Pittsburgh International Airport before the Steelers flew to Baltimore.

He is the fourth defensive player the Steelers have signed to a long-term contract since late July, joining cornerback Ike Taylor (four years, $28 million) and linebackers LaMarr Woodley (six years, $61.5 million) and Lawrence Timmons (five years, $50 million).

The Steelers also signed right tackle Willie Colon (five years, $29 million) during the preseason.

Polamalu, who tied for second in the NFL with seven interceptions last season, was entering the final year of a contract he signed in 2007. He was due to make $6.4 million this season.

The nine-year veteran and the Steelers narrowly beat a deadline in completing the deal, the terms of which were not immediately available. The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts during the regular season.

Team officials could not be reached for comment. But the news brought rejoicing from teammate and fellow safety Ryan Clark.

"Thank God! My brother (Polamalu) will retire a Steeler! That's the way it should be! Thank God!" Clark wrote on Twitter.

Polamalu has been named first-team All-Pro three times (2005, '08, '10) and been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls. He was the 2010 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The signing may quell concerns Steelers fans have about Polamalu's health.

Polamalu missed two games last December with an Achilles problem, and the injury hampered the six-time Pro Bowler for the rest of the season.

He has missed 21 games during the past five seasons.

Polamalu admittedly was not 100 percent when he reported to training camp in July. But he looked like one of the most dynamic players in the NFL in the Steelers' second preseason game last month when he intercepted a Michael Vick pass and returned it 36 yards.

Polamalu also popped right up after the Eagles quarterback took him down with a shot to the knee.

"I feel good," Polamalu said late last week. "It's irrelevant how I feel. It only matters how I play."

With Polamalu signed, the Steelers only have one of their cornerstone players entering the final year of his contract. But receiver Mike Wallace will be only a restricted free agent after this season, his third in the league.

That means the Steelers can choose to match an offer made by an opposing team. They likely would receive at least a first-round draft pick in return if Wallace signed elsewhere.

Read more: Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1XcFFDyXB (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html#ixzz1XcFFDyXB)

papillon
09-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 10, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56168.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html)

The Steelers concluded a busy offseason with an 11th-hour signing of one of their best and most recognizable players.

The team agreed to a four-year contract with strong safety Troy Polamalu, locking up the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year through the 2014 season.

"I'm happy to say I will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler!" he wrote on his Twitter account Saturday.

Polamalu, 30, signed his new contract at Pittsburgh International Airport before the Steelers flew to Baltimore.

He is the fourth defensive player the Steelers have signed to a long-term contract since late July, joining cornerback Ike Taylor (four years, $28 million) and linebackers LaMarr Woodley (six years, $61.5 million) and Lawrence Timmons (five years, $50 million).

The Steelers also signed right tackle Willie Colon (five years, $29 million) during the preseason.

Polamalu, who tied for second in the NFL with seven interceptions last season, was entering the final year of a contract he signed in 2007. He was due to make $6.4 million this season.

The nine-year veteran and the Steelers narrowly beat a deadline in completing the deal, the terms of which were not immediately available. The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts during the regular season.

Team officials could not be reached for comment. But the news brought rejoicing from teammate and fellow safety Ryan Clark.

"Thank God! My brother (Polamalu) will retire a Steeler! That's the way it should be! Thank God!" Clark wrote on Twitter.

Polamalu has been named first-team All-Pro three times (2005, '08, '10) and been selected to six consecutive Pro Bowls. He was the 2010 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The signing may quell concerns Steelers fans have about Polamalu's health.

Polamalu missed two games last December with an Achilles problem, and the injury hampered the six-time Pro Bowler for the rest of the season.

He has missed 21 games during the past five seasons.

Polamalu admittedly was not 100 percent when he reported to training camp in July. But he looked like one of the most dynamic players in the NFL in the Steelers' second preseason game last month when he intercepted a Michael Vick pass and returned it 36 yards.

Polamalu also popped right up after the Eagles quarterback took him down with a shot to the knee.

"I feel good," Polamalu said late last week. "It's irrelevant how I feel. It only matters how I play."

With Polamalu signed, the Steelers only have one of their cornerstone players entering the final year of his contract. But receiver Mike Wallace will be only a restricted free agent after this season, his third in the league.

That means the Steelers can choose to match an offer made by an opposing team. They likely would receive at least a first-round draft pick in return if Wallace signed elsewhere.

Read more: Steelers, Polamalu agree to new four-year deal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1XcFFDyXB (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756168.html#ixzz1XcFFDyXB)

The Steelers need to be careful with this approach if Wallace has another great year. Another team could very well be willing to give up a first round pick and pay large dollars for a WR that is already an 85%-90% finished product rather than taking a "chance" and drafting a 1st round WR that needs to be developed into an NFL quality WR.

I'd rather they get him signed and be done with it. The Steelers hit the jackpot with Wallace, don't throw it away and I'm sure Kahn and Colbert will do just that.

Pappy

AngryAsian
09-11-2011, 08:24 AM
The Steelers need to be careful with this approach if Wallace has another great year. Another team could very well be willing to give up a first round pick and pay large dollars for a WR that is already an 85%-90% finished product rather than taking a "chance" and drafting a 1st round WR that needs to be developed into an NFL quality WR.

I'd rather they get him signed and be done with it. The Steelers hit the jackpot with Wallace, don't throw it away and I'm sure Kahn and Colbert will do just that.

Pappy[/quote]

I agree, Pap... but all Mike need and do is look at Tennessee's Nate Washington. With regards to his position, he needs to realize that the only team willing to fork out that kind of cash, is an up and comer, and after going to the big dance last year and the tradition that envelope this team, I doubt he'd want to go elsewhere. ARE is another receiver that I'm sure will serve as a warning.

papillon
09-11-2011, 08:29 AM

Pappy

I agree, Pap... but all Mike need and do is look at Tennessee's Nate Washington. With regards to his position, he needs to realize that the only team willing to fork out that kind of cash, is an up and comer, and after going to the big dance last year and the tradition that envelope this team, I doubt he'd want to go elsewhere. ARE is another receiver that I'm sure will serve as a warning.[/quote]

And, typically, up and comers are desperate and will throw ridiculous amounts of money at free agents, restricted or not to try and improve, particularly if the coach is on the hot seat.

if it were me, I just don't think I'd leave too much to chance if possible.

Pappy

steelblood
09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I don't know if the tender levels will be the same as the old CBA, but if they are, we would give mike the highest possible tender. This means that another team would have to give up a 1st, a 3rd, AND pay Mike top dollar to sign him. I don't think any team would do this. It would be a very steep price for one player. Also, if we are really worried about losing Mike, we can franchise him (though I don't recommend this).

Mike is a great player, but his greatness is TOTALLY based on his speed. His hands and route running are average to good, but not great. IF he is injured this season or next in any way that has a long term effect on his speed, his value will plummet. It is wise and cost effective for the Steelers to let him play out this season and give him the high tender next season while we begin negotiations. The Steelers hold all the cards here. They can offer Mike a moderate contract next season (like 3 years 18 mil) that won't break the bank. Mike will have to consider this because it will get him very good money in 2012 instead of him playing out another season at 1.5 mil per and risking his future.

Slapstick
09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
In the past CBA, a team had the option to tender a player with two first round draft picks as compensation...

They could also secure exclusive negotiating rights with that player...

Steeler Shades
09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I'd sure like to see Troy stay healthy for a couple of complete seasons. When was the last season that he played without missing a game? 8)

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd sure like to see Troy stay healthy for a couple of complete seasons. When was the last season that he played without missing a game? 8)

The last two seasons we won Super Bowls. :tt2 :tt1

Steeler Shades
09-11-2011, 05:15 PM
The last two seasons we won Super Bowls.
He only played two complete seasons of the last six...or do I have the math incorrect? 8)

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
The last two seasons we won Super Bowls.
He only played two complete seasons of the last six...or do I have the math incorrect? 8)

Troy started all 16 games 3 times in his career. Ben's rookie year (15-1) and the SBXL and SBXLIII seasons.

fordfixer
09-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Staying with Steelers was Polamalu's goal

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 7b55736e0f (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Staying-with-Steelers-was-Polamalus-goal/86deb62a-4b09-42c4-ab18-c97b55736e0f)

Troy Polamalu quietly sat back and watched as LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons and Ike Taylor signed contract extensions since the start of training camp. He never said anything, other than how happy he was for his teammates, singing their praises and talking about how valuable each is to the defense.

He never complained that while their deals were done, his wasn’t. When it came to talking about his own contact, Polamalu respectfully declined answering questions, instead keeping any talks that were taking place between his agent and the team.

Many thought maybe the deal wouldn’t get done before the 2011 season kicked off, maybe Polamalu would become a free agent at the end of the year.

Polamalu wasn’t among those thinking that way. In his heart, he didn’t want to go anywhere, didn’t want to leave Pittsburgh. And the Steelers didn’t want him going anywhere either.

The two sides agreed to a four-year extension on the eve of the 2011 season, with Polamalu signing the new deal that will keep him in black and gold through the 2014 season at Pittsburgh International Airport shortly before leaving for Baltimore to take on the Ravens.

“It’s been a goal of mine since I was a rookie. I was hoping to always play for one organization,” said Polamalu. “It shows the level of commitment on both ends from the ownership to the player.

“It’s loyalty on two parts; it’s not a one-way street. The first meeting that I had with Mr. (Art) Rooney I explained to him how loyal I am to this organization, how much I want to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler and how anxious I am to get it done. I am honored and blessed and thank God to be able to be coming back the next four years and retire a Pittsburgh Steeler.”

Polamalu was the 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, finishing the season with seven interceptions, 64 tackles and a sack. He has a knack for coming out of nowhere to make a play, constantly getting into the mindset of opposing quarterbacks and wreaking all kinds of havoc on the field.

But get him away from the field and the soft-spoken Polamalu always defers any praise bestowed upon him to his teammates and coaches, people he is fiercely loyal to and didn’t want to leave.

“Most importantly I am loyal to my brothers in the locker room, to a great head coach, and maybe the greatest coach of all-time, Coach (Dick) LeBeau, who is our father figure,” said Polamalu. “I am loyal to them. Of course with the Rooney family and the organization they have created around here, the family environment that we have. It’s unlike anything I could experience anywhere else.

“To me it’s always been an organization of loyalty, humility and blue collar. When you say blue collar it epitomizes all of those virtues. It’s where I have come from, growing up in Oregon, growing up less fortunate in California. It falls in line with a lot of the values I have been raised with.”

RuthlessBurgher
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
“Most importantly I am loyal to my brothers in the locker room, to a great head coach, and maybe the greatest coach of all-time, Coach (bad word) LeBeau, who is our father figure,” said Polamalu. “I am loyal to them. Of course with the Rooney family and the organization they have created around here, the family environment that we have. It’s unlike anything I could experience anywhere else.

Someone needs to inform Troy that LeBeau is now a washed-up has-been of a coach. :wink:

kiwi_sarah
09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Someone needs to inform Troy that LeBeau is now a washed-up has-been of a coach. :wink:

oh lord. I obviously need to read the board more often, the :stirpot is going right over my head ATM lol

papillon
09-13-2011, 03:48 PM

oh lord. I obviously need to read the board more often, the :stirpot is going right over my head ATM lol

Yes, you absolutely need to read the board more often, so that, you're in the know about dysfunctional family known as PlanetSteelers. Good to hear from you

Pappy

kiwi_sarah
09-14-2011, 12:40 AM

Yes, you absolutely need to read the board more often, so that, you're in the know about dysfunctional family known as PlanetSteelers. Good to hear from you

Pappy

Thanks Pappy. I have a feeling reading the board more might lead to an increase in my vodka consumption. Not that there's anything wrong with that!