PDA

View Full Version : Could we be looking at a future Steeler here??

Dee Dub
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Saturday games between South Carolina and Georgia. Take a good look at CB Stephon Gilmore. This dude is very intriguing. He can do many things and he can do them well.

His game translates well in a 3-4. South Carolina uses him all over the field like Green Bay uses Charles Woodson.

He's a little under the radar now but come the end of this season I think he will be one of the top corners in the draft.

Oviedo
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Saturday games between South Carolina and Georgia. Take a good look at CB Stephon Gilmore. This dude is very intriguing. He can do many things and he can do them well.

His game translates well in a 3-4. South Carolina uses him all over the field like Green Bay uses Charles Woodson.

He's a little under the radar now but come the end of this season I think he will be one of the top corners in the draft.

We could draft him and wait three years for him to play or Dom Capers could draft him for Green Bay to replace Woodson and he would play as a rookie :stirpot

It's real tough in the Steelers' defense to get on the field ahead of talent like McFadden and Gay. :wink:

NW Steeler
09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Ovi - I am catching a hint of sarcasm here....

feltdizz
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I think we have drafted enough CB's... unless we draft in the top 10 it's 3 years and a WTF at the CB position.

Keenan Lewis may actually look like a decent CB in another 2 years

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2011, 02:39 PM

We could draft him and wait three years for him to play or Dom Capers could draft him for Green Bay to replace Woodson and he would play as a rookie :stirpot

It's real tough in the Steelers' defense to get on the field ahead of talent like McFadden and Gay. :wink:

Capers defense sure looked amazing last night allowing 500 yards of total offense (419 passing and 81 rushing) and 34 points, while allowing the opponents to march down to the 1 yard line for a potential game tying score at the end of the 4th quarter, nearly blowing a 15 point 4th quarter lead. Much better than a lousy LeBeau defense.

:stirpot

steelblood
09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
From what I've seen Gilmore is already a late first round prospect. If he plays well this season he'll go before we pick.

Dee Dub
09-09-2011, 05:09 PM
From what I've seen Gilmore is already a late first round prospect. If he plays well this season he'll go before we pick.

True there are some who are hip to Gilmore already but many out there still have him ranked about 6 or 7. Like GBNreport.com.

CB
*Dre Kirkpatrick, 6-2, 295, Alabama
Alfonzo Dennard, 5-9, 205, Nebraska
Chase Minniefield, 5-11, 195, Virginia
**Xavier Rhodes, 6-2, 205, Florida State
Janoris Jenkins, 5-10, 185, x-Florida (O)
*Stehon Gilmore, 6-0, 195, South Carolina (FS)

http://www.gbnreport.com/2012prospects.html

steelerkeylargo
09-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I gave Gilmore my top cover corner ranking back in May and have him as a top 10 pick.

grotonsteel
09-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I can easily see Steelers drafting a DB in Rd 1 if the new CBs don't show up. Again i am not sure if new CB will get time to play since they won't be knowing the complex Steelers D playbook.

But it would be a pleasant surprise if Steelers CB for future will be Ike-Cortez-Keenan-Curtis Brown.

Steelers need OG/DB/NT in 2012.

pfelix73
09-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Someone else can have him. I watched him play against my alma mater last weekend, and he got owned....

---just like we did in the final score....

:tt1

flippy
09-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I think the Steelers will surprise everyone and select Farrior's replacement:

Vontaze Burfict

or

Courtney Upshaw

steelerkeylargo
09-10-2011, 12:46 AM

Vontaze Burfict

or

Courtney Upshaw

I think his replacement is already on the team....Stevenson Sylvester

Oviedo
09-10-2011, 01:52 AM
I can easily see Steelers drafting a DB in Rd 1 if the new CBs don't show up. Again i am not sure if new CB will get time to play since they won't be knowing the complex Steelers D playbook.

But it would be a pleasant surprise if Steelers CB for future will be Ike-Cortez-Keenan-Curtis Brown.

Steelers need OG/DB/NT in 2012.

As you intimated, how could they ever make that determination about our new CBs when Brown and Allen will never get a chance to play. That is a two year down the road decision as long as LeBeau is calling the shots.

My bet for Round 1 next year is OL or the best Safety in the draft, if available, to replace Clark (after he spends two years learning the offense).

flippy
09-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Vontaze Burfict

or

Courtney Upshaw

I think his replacement is already on the team....Stevenson Sylvester

That's why it's a surprise.

I'd be all for taking the best LB available in the draft even if he's an inside guy because eventually there's going to be a need for a successor to Harrison and why not get a pass rush rotation going.

I think both Sylvester and Timmons could be used on the outside.