PDA

View Full Version : If the Steelers were the Packers...

steelnavy
09-09-2011, 07:33 AM
The Packers looked good last night; their offense was definitely clicking, but they almost let the Saints tie the game at the end. If that were the Steelers, would you be blasting Lebeau's defense for stinking up the joint, or would you be accepting that the Saints might have a pretty potent offense? Just curious, as the Pack has a pretty good defense too.

DukieBoy
09-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Yes, I think Lebeau and the defense would receive alot of hard criticism if that were us against the Saints, and even more criticism if we were the Saints pseudo-defense.

I only saw the 2nd half. I thought the Packers blitzes were highly effective, and I thought their run defense looked very strong in the 2nd half. I was surprised about how strong their run defense was. In those ways, they looked really good, I thought, modeled by Capers after the Steeler defenses.

feltdizz
09-09-2011, 08:11 AM
That pass D was atrocious last night and GB will have to put up a ton of points all season to protect it. The run D was stout at times but the pass D was horrible.

Slapstick
09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
It seems weird to say given the score, but the Packers defense was the difference in the game last night...

In the first opening game where BOTH QBs threw for 300+ yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs, the Packers D stuffed New Orleans 2X inside the 10 yard line for 0 points...they also stopped two other drives in Packer territory for FGs...those plays were the difference in the game...

ESPECIALLY the two stops in the red zone...

As Tomlin says, "Situational football defines [teams]".

feltdizz
09-09-2011, 09:03 AM
It seems weird to say given the score, but the Packers defense was the difference in the game last night...

In the first opening game where BOTH QBs threw for 300+ yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs, the Packers D stuffed New Orleans 2X inside the 10 yard line for 0 points...they also stopped two other drives in Packer territory for FGs...those plays were the difference in the game...

ESPECIALLY the two stops in the red zone...

As Tomlin says, "Situational football defines [teams]".

Sean Peyton pulled a BA last night...

How do you take the ball out of your All Pro QB's hands and give it to a rookie RB? GB was horrible vs the pass... drop back and let Brees do his thing. Horrible play call.

papillon
09-09-2011, 09:08 AM
It's Arena football in the NFL, get used to it with good quarterbacks. The Steeler defense may not have given up 42 points to the Pack, but I'm sure 27-30 would have been achieved. Defenses are at a disadvantage and against good quarterbacks it's exacerbated.

It reminded me of an NBA game, token defense, play offense and if you catch the last 5-7 minutes of the game you get the game in a nutshell. I was bored with the ease at which the offenses could move the ball. I flipped back and forth between other programs and the game until the last 8 minutes. I knew there really wasn't much of a chance of either defense stopping the other offense, unless the offense made a mistake and that's what happened. Green Bay's 3rd and 4 to ice the game was blown up and NO had a chance and should have tied the game, but they made a mistake by not blocking a soul on the last play of the game.

I didn't enjoy the game very much, 84 passes and 39 rushes? Really? That's what we're in for all year? Hated it. The NFL needs to give the defense a chance, they have none right now. I don't want 2-to-1 the other way either (rushes to passes), I enjoy all facets of football, rushing, passing, defense, special teams, the NFL has eliminated defense and kickoffs.

Pappy

Slapstick
09-09-2011, 09:11 AM

How do you take the ball out of your All Pro QB's hands and give it to a rookie RB? GB was horrible vs the pass... drop back and let Brees do his thing. Horrible play call.

Did you happen to see the failed play action fake on 4th and inches?

Starlifter
09-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I couldn't believe the call at the end of the game - particularly after GB had already stuffed them a few times. I was thinking this was going to be something really creative with mis-direction, like a 2 point conversion play and it was a vanilla lead block power I run up the gut. Maybe that was peyton trying to outsmart himself but I can't believe he didn't have brees on the move with some sort of run/pass option.

Oviedo
09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I couldn't believe the call at the end of the game - particularly after GB had already stuffed them a few times. I was thinking this was going to be something really creative with mis-direction, like a 2 point conversion play and it was a vanilla lead block power I run up the gut. Maybe that was peyton trying to outsmart himself but I can't believe he didn't have brees on the move with some sort of run/pass option.

:Agree Payton took the ball out of the hands of one of the 3 or 4 best QBs in the NFL. That was a stupid play.

feltdizz
09-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Did you happen to see the failed play action fake on 4th and inches?

Not sure if that was a bad call or good D.

Brees looked like Jimmy Clausen on the scramble.

Djfan
09-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I was dove hunting. Sorry I missed it.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-09-2011, 10:25 AM
i think there is a good chance the steelers would of lost that game if they were the packers because once up by 2 TD's they would of shut down the offense. Their D would of ended up giving up scores and then we would of tried out of desperation to get the offense going again after punting the ball on half the series.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
If the Steelers were the Packers...

...they'd have two LESS Super Bowls wins! :lol:

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Oviedo
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
i think there is a good chance the steelers would of lost that game if they were the packers because once up by 2 TD's they would of shut down the offense. Their D would of ended up giving up scores and then we would of tried out of desperation to get the offense going again after punting the ball on half the series.

I hope that wouldn't be the case but it would have been a possibility. I hpope they realize this season they can outscore people almost every week and quit putting it on the defense to stop someone late because I don't have faith that they can.

Spread 'em out and let Ben do his thing!!!!!!!!!!

Northern_Blitz
09-09-2011, 11:25 AM
It's Arena football in the NFL, get used to it with good quarterbacks. The Steeler defense may not have given up 42 points to the Pack, but I'm sure 27-30 would have been achieved. Defenses are at a disadvantage and against good quarterbacks it's exacerbated.

It reminded me of an NBA game, token defense, play offense and if you catch the last 5-7 minutes of the game you get the game in a nutshell. I was bored with the ease at which the offenses could move the ball. I flipped back and forth between other programs and the game until the last 8 minutes. I knew there really wasn't much of a chance of either defense stopping the other offense, unless the offense made a mistake and that's what happened. Green Bay's 3rd and 4 to ice the game was blown up and NO had a chance and should have tied the game, but they made a mistake by not blocking a soul on the last play of the game.

I didn't enjoy the game very much, 84 passes and 39 rushes? Really? That's what we're in for all year? Hated it. The NFL needs to give the defense a chance, they have none right now. I don't want 2-to-1 the other way either (rushes to passes), I enjoy all facets of football, rushing, passing, defense, special teams, the NFL has eliminated defense and kickoffs.

Pappy

More quick scoring drives = more commercials. (although I guess more 3 and outs would too, but the league likes scoring)

insanesteelersfan
09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
The only thing last night proved was that the " PREVENT DEFENSE " never ever works. That last play was not a bad call. But out of the formation they called it in, it was. The Saints NEEDED to spread the Packers D out, and get them thinking it MIGHT be a quick-hitting pass or screen. Then maybe give the ball to Ingram. That way he is not facing a 10 man fron with LB's jumping into and over the LOS. It wasn't the call. It was the stupid bunched-up formation they called it from that did them in.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
The only thing last night proved was that the " PREVENT DEFENSE " never ever works. That last play was not a bad call. But out of the formation they called it in, it was. The Saints NEEDED to spread the Packers D out, and get them thinking it MIGHT be a quick-hitting pass or screen. Then maybe give the ball to Ingram. That way he is not facing a 10 man fron with LB's jumping into and over the LOS. It wasn't the call. It was the stupid bunched-up formation they called it from that did them in.

I actually agree with everything insaneman says here (which sort of scares me).

Keyplay1
09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
It's Arena football in the NFL. That and the rest of what Pappy said.

If the Steelers were the Packers----Then the head coach and the QB coach who is probably Offensive Coordinator advisor as well, would both be from Pittsburgh. Pretty sure I read that somewhere. What a coincidence. Not that I would even for a second consider making the trade even though I really liked it a ton when Tom Clements was the QB coach here.

I also considered getting real sarcastic and taking some shots at all the Steeler secondary detractors. Maybe now some of them will believe that the Steelers Pass D was actually ranked #1 in the all important yards allowed per pass 3 times since 2005. But, it is too close to the regular season beginning for that kind of stuff. Time to play the games.

Oh btw: RuthlessBurgher said: "I actually agree with everything insaneman says here (which sort of scares me).

Scared me too!

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2011, 02:49 PM
This game was 42-34. Teams scoring 76 points combined is a wet dream of a Goodell game. On the other hand, it wouldn't be surprising if a real hard-hitting football game this weekend between Pittsburgh and Baltimore (Goodell's nightmare) resulted in a quarter's worth of scoring (a score something like 13-6 would not be unexpected...19 points total X 4 = 76 points).

BURGH86STEEL
09-09-2011, 05:33 PM
As in most instances, it would be on the players for not making plays.

Some one would find a way to blame BA for not running out the clock.

Captain Lemming
09-09-2011, 11:45 PM

No team was better at holding leads IN HISTORY that Cowhers Steeler teams.
He did EXACTLY what you describe and it was the best formula to hold a lead.
They called it "the turtle" but it worked.
Control the ball with clock eating running and your opponent does not get enough possesions to make a comeback.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Turtle ball is fine when you can actually move the chains. Cowher had Bettis, Hartings, Faneca, and Kreider. Turtle ball stopped being quite as effective near the end of Cowhers term. In today's NFL turtle ball doesn't work.