PDA

View Full Version : ESPN is reporting...

Dee Dub
09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
The Steelers are trying to work out a contract extension for Troy Polamalu before the start of this weekends game versus the Ravens.

??? Interesting ??? Could this be so they could sign someone else? I mean they did say no more contracts till offseason right?

David Garrard?

Just sayin.

Oviedo
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I heard this has been going on since before Garrard was released. They are just trying to get it done before the first game when they typically quit talking contracts.

I think there are a number of other teams with greater QB needs that can pay Garrard more.

phillyesq
09-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I think there are a number of other teams with greater QB needs that can pay Garrard more.

:Agree

There are a lot of teams with very poor qb situations where Garrard would probably have an opportunity to start by the end of the year. The teams haven't been reported, but at least 3 teams have shown an interest in Garrard.

I'm not reading into the attempt to sign Troy as anything more than wanting to lock up a mainstay of the franchise.

flippy
09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Maybe they're doing it to try and work out a trade for Peyton Manning.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
They are trying to lock up Troy long term because Troy = AWESOME. That is all.

They know every time he faces Flacco, he either has a game clinching interception or a game clinching forced fumble, so they need to get it done now before the Ravens game, because he will inevitably do it again and his price will go nowhere but up. :D

:ratsuck

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
They hold all the rights on Troy. And he still is a HUGE Injury risk to me. I mean why offer what you don't need to. ? Troy is a great player yes. But, if he again has another Injury-plagued season, and plays only 10-12 games, he is NOT worthy of top-50 NFL money IMHO. But, if they can get him re-signed at around 4 to 5 million a year for the next 6 years...then I say okay. Anything more then that and you are taking a risk.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
troy is worth more than 4-5 million a year.

thats insane.

Oviedo
09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

thats insane.

:Agree An offer like that would be an insult. Every player in the league is an injury risk and one play away from a career ending play.

IMO I have many more concerns about Harrison's health this season than I do Troy's. I do worry about Troy, but the way Harrison plays means he will endure constant punishment on his balky back and that spells trouble. Harrison's problem also make the situation in our secondary worse because if he can't pressure the QB then our secondary is exposed.

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

thats insane.

Really Eddie ? What then ? I was talking more about his BASE salary worth...at least for the next few years. Now, if they wanna offer Troy a 6 year deal worth 75 million, with a say 15 to 16 million signing bonus, and salaries in the first 3 years at say 4-5.5, and 6 million a year, and then base salaries in years 4 through 6 at over 15 million a year, then I say fine. Cause Troy will likely never see those final 3 years of the deal. But Eddie, if you're talking a new deal where Troy gets say over 40 million guaranteed up front, with BASE salaries of over 12 million, and basically a 6 year contract worth over 130 Million dollars with 90 million guaranteed in the first 2 seasons...then you ARE NUTS! My friend.

Troy has too many shortcomings for that.

flippy
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I vote for a huge deal for Troy. It sends the right message to the team. Be like Troy and you'll get paid.

Plus, healthy Troy = more SuperBowls.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Eric Weddle signed a five-year, $50 million contract with $19 million guaranteed this offseason. Eric Weddle is nowhere near Troy Polamalu as an impact player. They will likely start with that contract as a guide and go North.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM

thats insane.

His hair alone is worth 1 million. :lol:

flippy
09-07-2011, 12:27 PM

thats insane.

His hair alone is worth 1 million. :lol:

For some reason I pictured Troy standing next to you while you were typing that asking "Are you making fun of me?"

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Eric Weddle signed a five-year, $50 million contract with $19 million guaranteed this offseason. Eric Weddle is nowhere near Troy Polamalu as an impact player. They will likely start with that contract as a guide and go North.

Troy is better then Weddle,,,but certainly not by alot. Yes Troy gets the attention, and has the Long stringy hair, yada-yada-yada. But Weddle is more reliable. And a way way way better tackler then Troy will ever hope to be. Troy is more athletic, and can make the big play. But he is not like 2 times better then Weddle is. Just a bit better.

feltdizz
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM

thats insane.

But Eddie, if you're talking a new deal where Troy gets say over 40 million guaranteed up front, with BASE salaries of over 12 million, and basically a 6 year contract worth over 130 Million dollars with 90 million guaranteed in the first 2 seasons...then you ARE NUTS! My friend.

You are insane...

stop having new conversations with yourself and calm down.

90 million guaranteed in the first 2 years? Why would you even suggest such a thing?

feltdizz
09-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Troy is better then Weddle,,,but certainly not by alot. Yes Troy gets the attention, and has the Long stringy hair, yada-yada-yada. But Weddle is more reliable. And a way way way better tackler then Troy will ever hope to be. Troy is more athletic, and can make the big play. But he is not like 2 times better then Weddle is. Just a bit better.

in the membrane.....

Troy is the best to ever do it at his position.

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 12:32 PM

thats insane.

But Eddie, if you're talking a new deal where Troy gets say over 40 million guaranteed up front, with BASE salaries of over 12 million, and basically a 6 year contract worth over 130 Million dollars with 90 million guaranteed in the first 2 seasons...then you ARE NUTS! My friend.

You are insane...

90 million guaranteed in the first 2 years? Why would you even suggest such a thing?

I'm not. But others here are acting like Troy is GOD or something. He is not. He is a MARGINALLY Good safety who makes the occasional Big Play. That's it. He is not a difference maker by any means. He is good yes, even great....for a SAFETY!! We don't need to be breaking the Bank for him when we have MUCH higher priorities on the team to re-sign.

D Rock
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM

thats insane.

You are insane...

I'm not. But others here are acting like Troy is GOD or something. He is not. He is a MARGINALLY Good safety who makes the occasional Big Play. That's it. He is not a difference maker by any means. He is good yes, even great....for a SAFETY!! We don't need to be breaking the Bank for him when we have MUCH higher priorities on the team to re-sign.

yep. That about says it all when it comes to your arguments.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
i'm dying over here.

a marginally good safety.

please keep typing.

D Rock
09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
i'm dying over here.

please keep typing.

You forgot to keep reading.

Troy is a marginally good safety, who is good and even great as a safety.

:?: :?: :?:

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 12:42 PM
i'm dying over here.

please keep typing.

That's what I think he is Eddie. He definitely is not a Game-Changer safety in Big Games. What has he ever done in a Super Bowl ? Yes he IS a good safety. But his seasons haven't been ALL WORLD as compared to alot of other league Safties. I mean just because he is personable, and has Shampoo commercials and what not does NOT make him All World, and our highest priority. He IS Important yes. And of course I wanna keep him. I just think at over 30 years of age, maybe we should let him play this season out before commiting any REAL Long term Money at him. That would be the SMART BUSINESS thing to do Eddie.

flippy
09-07-2011, 12:46 PM

This is like saying Mike Wallace is a way way way better WR than Jerry Rice, but Rice ran a little better routes so he's probably just a smidge better than Wallace.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
INT for TD to seal AFCCG three years ago.

strip sack last year in Baltinore giving the Steelers home field.

he makes a ton of big plays every year. maybe you should pay a little more attention.

flippy
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
We don't need to be breaking the Bank for him when we have MUCH higher priorities on the team to re-sign.

Much higher priorities = Mike Wallace > Troy Polamalu

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
We don't need to be breaking the Bank for him when we have MUCH higher priorities on the team to re-sign.

You don't think a player entering his 3rd season, who has established himself as a great WR is more Important then a player entering his 9th season, and who has had some major Injury concerns the past 3 years ?

flippy
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM

You don't think a player entering his 3rd season, who has established himself as a great WR is more Important then a player entering his 9th season, and who has had some major Injury concerns the past 3 years ?

no

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 01:14 PM

no

So you think a player past his 30th Birthday, with Injury concerns is more Important then a 1300-1500 Yd WR ? One who is still very young...Interesting.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM
i'm dying over here.

please keep typing.

That's what I think he is Eddie. He definitely is not a Game-Changer safety in Big Games. What has he ever done in a Super Bowl ? Yes he IS a good safety. But his seasons haven't been ALL WORLD as compared to alot of other league Safties. I mean just because he is personable, and has Shampoo commercials and what not does NOT make him All World, and our highest priority. He IS Important yes. And of course I wanna keep him. I just think at over 30 years of age, maybe we should let him play this season out before commiting any REAL Long term Money at him. That would be the SMART BUSINESS thing to do Eddie.

Troy has started all 16 games 3 times in his career. In those 3 seasons, we won two Super Bowls (and the only time we didn't win a Super Bowl is when we were 15-1 with a rookie starting QB going undefeated in 13 regular season starts). Coincidence?

ramblinjim
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
This had me going for a minute, I was thinking to myself "Insane has a point, we pay Troy very well, say highest paid safety in the league money but we don't go all Nnamdi Asomugha money because Troy is 30, this is surely his last contract and there have been some injury concerns............."

But "Marginally Good" safety? I'm old enough to have watched a whole lot of Ronnie Lott and totally understand the "which one is better, Lott or Troy" argument from both sides but 'marginally good' isn't the way anyone that knows football would describe Troy P.

He's really the total package as far as a safety goes, he can cover, plays centerfield, plays the run, blitzes the quarterback, all very well. Who's better in the league? I'm sure there's a better cover safety out there (I don't have time to go looking for stats) but he's easily in Ed Reed's league when playing center field, no safety in the game plays the run as well as Troy and if there's a better safety playing the blitz please name him.

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM
i'm dying over here.

please keep typing.

Troy has started all 16 games 3 times in his career. In those 3 seasons, we won two Super Bowls (and the only time we didn't win a Super Bowl is when we were 15-1 with a rookie starting QB going undefeated in 13 regular season starts). Coincidence?

Yes it is Coincidence. What did Troy have to do with our last Super Bowl win ? He was part of the defense that gave up a huge lead. And it was BEN who led the team on a 90 Yd drive in the final 1:50 to win the game. Last time I checked Troy wasn't on the field.

flippy
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM

no

So you think a player past his 30th Birthday, with Injury concerns is more Important then a 1300-1500 Yd WR ? One who is still very young...Interesting.

yep

why project 1300-1500 yards when wallace is predicting 2000? just call him a 2000 yard receiver. that's even more interesting to me.

feltdizz
09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Teams don't spend all week trying to figure out how to stop Wallace...

Ben is a great QB but he doesn't win anything without our D.

We have gone 8 to 10 quarters without a TD on offense and still won games....

Dee Dub
09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow!! Thanks insane. You have made my initial dumb post (possibly signing Garrard), nearly forgettable. Nice. :lol:

Troy Polamalu is the best all-around SS in the NFL. Hands down.

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 01:56 PM

Talk about a stupid statement. Try looking at our last Super Bowl win. Try looking at BOTH playoff games last year where our OFFENSE was the reason why we won against Baltimore and the Jets more then our defense. Yes our defense is good, and Important. But son please GET REAL. We have had the TOP Defense 7 times under Cowher, and ALL 7 times we lost in the playoffs. That was because we did NOT have a Franchise QB who made the BIG plays at the right time. Please, grow some commen sense will ya ?

D Rock
09-07-2011, 01:59 PM

no

I'm as big a Wallace fan as anyone is. I've got a signed helmet, signed football, autographed rookie cards, etc.

But 1)

He is a 1,257 yard receiver. (I knew that off the top of my head, because I'm a big fan)

and 2)

He is a very good WR who is extremely fast and makes big plays. He is not yet a great WR.

BTW. Troy is extremely fast and makes big plays too. The difference is, he does it at a position not typically associated with being extremely fast. He also does all things other posters have mentioned. Troy is great. One of the best ever.

Mike Wallace is really fast.

Steelgal
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
i'm dying over here.

please keep typing.

How dare you use data and facts to backup your argument. It's unheardof :Bow

Snatch98
09-07-2011, 03:20 PM

thats insane.

You are insane...

1. What planet are you on?
2. What drugs are you on?
3. Where can I buy said drugs? (So I can sell them at enormous profit margins)
4. Why are you so amazingly abrasive all the time?

I'm all for debate but you fail miserably and almost routinely take the most extreme approach to every argument. Anyone with half a brain would laugh at you hysterically for mentioning the above in serious fashion. The Steelers are breaking their own rules to resign Troy because he's a special player that needs resigned. You're the new resident drama queen. We had plenty back during the Pittsburghlive days. I guess it was only a matter of time. :Binky

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 03:31 PM

thats insane.

You are insane...

1. What planet are you on?
2. What drugs are you on?
3. Where can I buy said drugs? (So I can sell them at enormous profit margins)
4. Why are you so amazingly abrasive all the time?

I'm all for debate but you fail miserably and almost routinely take the most extreme approach to every argument. Anyone with half a brain would laugh at you hysterically for mentioning the above in serious fashion. The Steelers are breaking their own rules to resign Troy because he's a special player that needs resigned. You're the new resident drama queen. We had plenty back during the Pittsburghlive days. I guess it was only a matter of time. :Binky

Breaking their own rules ?, Ah, what rule is that ? The season has NOT started yet, so they haven't broken ANY Rule. Talk about being Uninformed.
Of course arguing with ANYONE who actually thinks Limas Sweed has ANY sort of talent might be a waste of time :Blah :Blah :Blah

Snatch98
09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
They never talk contracts this late and your reply does nothing to debunk anything that I mentioned above. Saying that Troy Polamalu is a "marginal safety" is mind numbing and as already pointed out you go ahead and contradict yourself in that same breath.

insanesteelersfan
09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
They never talk contracts this late and your reply does nothing to debunk anything that I mentioned above. Saying that Troy Polamalu is a "marginal safety" is mind numbing and as already pointed out you go ahead and contradict yourself in that same breath.

The Steelers have, as a rule never negotiated new deals AFTER the season has begun....so, has the season begun yet ? And, IF Troy was such a high priority, then how come they have waited all this time to even talk with him ? They obviously thought that Timmons, and Woodley, and even Colon had a higher priority then Troy. Now, maybe I was off on the Marginal remark. Troy IS a great player when healthy. And his Health IS a very Big IF! Sorry if you disagree but it is. Look, if they can re-sign him without any risk of losing out re-signing the likes of a Wallace or anyone else then fine, do it. But I still think it would be wiser to see if Troy can play the 2011 season relatively healthy first....just my opinion.

Djfan
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow

Oviedo
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM

The Steelers have, as a rule never negotiated new deals AFTER the season has begun....so, has the season begun yet ? And, IF Troy was such a high priority, then how come they have waited all this time to even talk with him ? They obviously thought that Timmons, and Woodley, and even Colon had a higher priority then Troy. Now, maybe I was off on the Marginal remark. Troy IS a great player when healthy. And his Health IS a very Big IF! Sorry if you disagree but it is. Look, if they can re-sign him without any risk of losing out re-signing the likes of a Wallace or anyone else then fine, do it. But I still think it would be wiser to see if Troy can play the 2011 season relatively healthy first....just my opinion.

With all the vitriol aside, I understand your concern about Troy's health and I share that. However, every player in one play away from a career ending injury. With Troy you have to ask yourself a few questions:

1. Is your defense effective without him? IMO the answer is that it becomes average because the defense is designed around what he can do in the secondary and many of the schemes LeBeau runs are because of him.
2. Can you replace him? IMO the answer is not completely because you would severely limit the plays that Lebeau could call and the defense would become very vanilla.

The answers to those questions is why you roll the dice and sign Troy which is what they obviously want to do before Sunday...I expect a gameday announcement.

The longer term question is how do you replace Troy and how do you have to change your defense when you do that? I expect that will be Keith Butler's problem because LeBeau will bail by then.

I'm actually more concerned about Harrison's health than I am Troy. I think we could be seeing the beginning of the end for him.

feltdizz
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Talk about a stupid statement. Try looking at our last Super Bowl win. Try looking at BOTH playoff games last year where our OFFENSE was the reason why we won against Baltimore and the Jets more then our defense. Yes our defense is good, and Important. But son please GET REAL. We have had the TOP Defense 7 times under Cowher, and ALL 7 times we lost in the playoffs. That was because we did NOT have a Franchise QB who made the BIG plays at the right time. Please, grow some commen sense will ya ?

The SB win with the 14 point swing on the most amazing 100 yard INT in SB history?

The Baltimore game where Ben was strip sacked and the Ravens scored? The one where Clark had an INT followed by a fumble that was scooped up by Gay that he returned for 6 points?

The Jets game where they couldn't score a TD until Ike slipped and fell? The Jets game where they couldn't run the ball at all?

I know why we lost under Cowher... that is why I said Ben is a GREAT QB....

Look at our team in 2009. Huge stats and no D. Look at our SB team in 2008. Great D, horrible line and the D probably put up more TD's than the O for half the season.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
He is a MARGINALLY Good safety who makes the occasional Big Play. That's it. He is not a difference maker by any means. He is good yes, even great....for a SAFETY!!
First off....huh?

Second....I really do not agree with signing him to a huge contract with all the injury issues. Play him this year, tag him starting next year, and work out something AFTER finding that he can stay on the field. To sign him to big money now is a mistake. I love Troy.....think he is the best to ever play the position when healthy.....but they need to be very careful due to health and they have at LEAST two years to see what will happen.

williar
09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree with Insane of some points. People go way overboard when it comes to his play. Troy makes phenomenal splash plays, he looks great out there running around. Dude is awesome. On the other hand, there have been quite a few times when I didn't even know Troy was on the field. His play can be either feast or famine. And always an injury waiting to happen. With all that said, I still want him on my team. He is one of our core players. I'm sure he will get a fair offer. Most of our core guys have taken somewhat of a hometown discount to remain, we'll see what happens.....

feltdizz
09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Troy iis silent some games but that is to be expected when teams fear you.

Troy makes so many amazing plays fans have unrealistic expectations. Do you really think he will be sensational EVERY game?

Name one defender who shows up EVERY game. Hell, name one NFL player who shows out EVERY game.

Troy still shows up more often than not and when he does great things happen.

Starlifter
09-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I think troy is only average in coverage - but that's a small part of his game because teams avoid him at all costs.

the arguments back and forth are kinda silly. i expect the Steelers to make him the highest paid safety in the game. If they don't, some other team will. I'll let the market speak for itself as to how good he is.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-07-2011, 05:39 PM
He is a MARGINALLY Good safety who makes the occasional Big Play. That's it. He is not a difference maker by any means. He is good yes, even great....for a SAFETY!!
First off....huh?

Second....I really do not agree with signing him to a huge contract with all the injury issues. Play him this year, tag him starting next year, and work out something AFTER finding that he can stay on the field. To sign him to big money now is a mistake. I love Troy.....think he is the best to ever play the position when healthy.....but they need to be very careful due to health and they have at LEAST two years to see what will happen.
:Clap :Clap :Clap
Don't see what the big rush is to sign him right now. Backwoods said it well.

Insane could have made this point, but when he decided to go with the "Troy is a marginally good safety" crap, he lost the opportunity.

ikestops85
09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
First off....huh?

Look at the Steelers record when Troy plays vs. when he doesn't. Look at the avg points our D gives up when Troy plays vs. what it gives up when he doesn't. When you get the answer to those 2 questions you will see how VERY, VERY valuable Troy is to this team.

End of Story. :wink:

BackwoodsSteeler
09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
First off....huh?

Look at the Steelers record when Troy plays vs. when he doesn't. Look at the avg points our D gives up when Troy plays vs. what it gives up when he doesn't. When you get the answer to those 2 questions you will see how VERY, VERY valuable Troy is to this team.

End of Story. :wink:
And what does what you wrote have to do with what I wrote?

I said he is the very best when healthy.

I also said the Steelers, if smart, will hold off on a new contract as they have time to do so.

What you said, and why you quoted my post....I have no idea.

hawaiiansteel
09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
First off....huh?

the cap hell the Indy Colts now find themselves in with the Peyton Manning injury is going to make a lot of NFL teams re-think the risks and ramifications of giving out big, long-term contracts to aging and/or injury-prone players.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-08-2011, 06:08 PM
First off....huh?

the cap hell the Indy Colts now find themselves in with the Peyton Manning injury is going to make a lot of NFL teams re-think the risks and ramifications of giving out big, long-term contracts to aging and/or injury-prone players.
Good point. Add that to the TWO years the Steelers have to evaulate Troy and it's a no-brainer.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-08-2011, 06:54 PM
some of you guys are advocating the steelers treating one of their more prominent players of the last 20 years like a outdated piece of beef. also, a guy who has been an outstanding and exemplary person off the field during a time when the organization sorely needed it.

can they do it, yes, but it sends a terrible message, IMO.

there is a middle ground and i trust both parties will find it.

DukieBoy
09-08-2011, 07:05 PM

thats insane.

You are insane...

Is Charlie Sheen a Steelers Fan ?

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2011, 07:19 PM

thats insane.

You are insane...

He's tired of pretending he's not a total bitchiní rock star from Mars. We canít process him with our normal brains. Look what he's dealing with, man, he's dealing with fools and trolls. We picked a fight with a warlock. The only thing he's addicted to right now is winning. He has a disease? Bull$#!*. He cured it with his brain.

hawaiiansteel
09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

He's tired of pretending he's not a total bitchiní rock star from Mars. We canít process him with our normal brains. Look what he's dealing with, man, he's dealing with fools and trolls. We picked a fight with a warlock. The only thing he's addicted to right now is winning. He has a disease? Bull$#!*. He cured it with his brain.

seems like Charlie Sheen would be more of a Bengals or Raiders fan, except for that "Winning" part...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Jyw05323vqY/TXWaGMp_OKI/AAAAAAAAEe0/M_7JS0qBLWI/Charlies_Fragrances.pnghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-t1_5Pv8ubo4/TXEwl8yJj7I/AAAAAAAAEdE/qDa5qO6GReE/Charlie-Sheen-Whiskey.pnghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VsvnHGHh6io/TXXHVFqn56I/AAAAAAAAA_A/u4vt48wm1yg/s1600/demotivational-posters-charlie-sheen-sheening.jpghttp://media.avclub.com/images/articles/article/52529/charlie_jpg_627x1000_q85.jpghttp://thecomplexmedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Charlie-Sheen-ratchet-597x328.jpg

Slapstick
09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Wasn't Troy DPOY just last year?

DukieBoy
09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Wasn't Troy DPOY just last year?

Yes he was, but don't you get it? He's just not that good. He plays on a great defense, and he's extra lucky because the offense carries him.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

(Not intended to be a factual statement).

fordfixer
09-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Steelers, Polamalu committed to finishing extension
By Jason La Canfora |
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/08/steeler ... line_stack (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/08/steelers-polamalu-committed-to-complete-extension/?module=HP11_headline_stack)

Published: September 8th, 2011 | Tags: Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Pittsburgh Steelers
The Steelers and representatives for safety Troy Polamalu are working hard to beat the teamís deadline to complete a contract extension.

Both sides have been committed to trying to get a deal done for the four-time All-Pro, who has one year and $6.4 million left on his current contract.

Polamalu would be the third top Steelers defender to receive a big deal this offseason ó behind LBs LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons ó and the organization has a longstanding, team-imposed cutoff of the start of the regular season in which to have contracts done.

However, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, if a deal isnít struck by Sunday, the sides have made enough progress that talks would resume after the season. They could be wrapped up well before the start of the 2012 league year, when Polamalu is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers also could place the franchise tag on Polamalu, though at this point, it seems clear a long-term deal will be struck before March.

Polamalu is in line to far exceed the $8 million per season that Chargers safety Eric Weddle garnered in his record new contract following the NFL lockout.

steelz09
09-09-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm ok that we have a "marginally good" safety by the name Troy Polamalu. The same marginally good safety that will be inducted into the HOF.

flippy
09-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Who has seen Troy play in person?

Who has only seen Troy play on tv?

The answer to that question is the key to understanding how good Troy is. The Steelers brass see him every Sunday in person and every day in practice. They likely have an appreciation for the guy that none of us can comprehend and it will be reflected in his eventual contract.

I'm not a season ticket holder. And I've averaged getting to 1 game a year during Troy's career. And every time I've seen him, he's been the most noticeable player on the field.

In all of my years, I've never seen a player like him. He defends more grass than any NFL player Ive ever watched. And because of it, he limits what teams can do against the Steelers. It's clear why the Steelers don't lose when he's healthy.

It's not about the plays he makes, it more about the plays he prevent from even being attempted.

RuthlessBurgher
09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm ok that we have a "marginally good" safety by the name Troy Polamalu. The same marginally good safety that will be inducted into the HOF.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, OH. Where would the Pro Football Hall of Marginally Good be built...in Cincinnati or Cleveland? :P

:brownssuck :bungalssuck

frankthetank1
09-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Who has seen Troy play in person?

Who has only seen Troy play on tv?
The answer to that question is the key to understanding how good Troy is. The Steelers brass see him every Sunday in person and every day in practice. They likely have an appreciation for the guy that none of us can comprehend and it will be reflected in his eventual contract.

I'm not a season ticket holder. And I've averaged getting to 1 game a year during Troy's career. And every time I've seen him, he's been the most noticeable player on the field.

In all of my years, I've never seen a player like him. He defends more grass than any NFL player Ive ever watched. And because of it, he limits what teams can do against the Steelers. It's clear why the Steelers don't lose when he's healthy.

It's not about the plays he makes, it more about the plays he prevent from even being attempted.

thats a very good point. seeing how much ground troy covers and seeing his speed live is amazing. there isnt a safety in the nfl that can cover so much ground in such a short time than troy. seeing him in person really makes you appreciate the player troy is even more. its kind of like watching andy van slyke play centerfield in person. the guy was the best center fielder ive ever seen, but you would never know it from just watching him on tv. in between innings after warm ups were done the catcher in the bullpen would stand on the bench with his glove up in the air and van slyke would hit the glove every time without the catcher moving his glove. ive never seen anything like that.