PDA

View Full Version : NFL tells Niners no suspension for Braylon Edwards

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-braylon/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/nfl-tells-niners-no-suspension-for-braylon/)

Way to go Roger Goodell :loser Braylon, who pled guilty, and has had MANY other run ins with the law gets NO suspension, and a 50,000 dollar fine ? And Ben, who was never even QUESTIONED by police for any matter ever, gets a 4 game suspension, with no pay, which what ? Comes out to about 3 million dollar fine ?

Another example of the Inconsistent Goodell and his wishy-washy authority.

D Rock
09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/nfl-tells-niners-no-suspension-for-braylon/

Way to go Roger Goodell :loser Braylon, who pled guilty, and has had MANY other run ins with the law gets NO suspension, and a 50,000 dollar fine ? And Ben, who was never even QUESTIONED by police for any matter ever, gets a 4 game suspension, with no pay, which what ? Comes out to about 3 million dollar fine ?

Ben answered questions for Officer Blash the night of the incident in Georgia. Feel free to look it up.

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/nfl-tells-niners-no-suspension-for-braylon/

Ben answered questions for Officer Blash the night of the incident in Georgia. Feel free to look it up.

Ah, since I have been in Law enforcement for over 23 years. I think I know just a tad bit more then you do. When a officer arrives on the scene of any reported incident, that is considered the reporting officer, and he takes what is known as a " preliminary report " This is not the official reports which are conducted at a later time by the Investigating detectives. Oh and BTW.....those Investigating Detectives NEVER officially questioned Ben cause the reports given by the girl, and her two friends were so wildly inconsistent, and were caught in several lies. Eventually the complaintant retracted her story, and even ADMITTED Ben never attacked her. But,,,,did Roger Goodell ever mention this ? Or take it into consideration ?....No!

Bottom line, Ben was NEVER Questioned by the Investigating officiers, or ever arrested. As where Braylon Edwards has been arrested 3 times before, ALL convictions, Including two other DUI offenses, and one MAJOR Felony assault.....Oh but I guess what BEN did was way way worse huh ? :moon

D Rock
09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't give a damn what you want to call it...Ben answered questions asked by an officer.

Which you said he never did.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I have been in Law enforcement for over 23 years.

so you're an officer of the law? :D

http://static.fancydress.com/resources/ecommerce/images/products/661/600/img600661/product-enlarged.jpg

flippy
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Further proof - it was Rooney that wanted Ben suspended.

Roger is just a puppet.

The owners control his strings.

fezziwig
09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Goodell has wood for Black and Gold. Proven with Edwards and Haynesworth.
I don't mind the NFL doing their thing ( to a certain degree ) but, lets make it apples to apples instead of Goodell with his apples to watermellons.

I don't want to wish mine or anyones life away but, I can't wait for someone to write a book 20 years later after time has passed, people retired and or guys just opening there mouths about the truth.

Someday we might learn about why Goodell looks the other way for some teams and the whole cheating deal that went on with the team that has blemished our countries colors.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Roger is just a puppet.

The owners control his strings.

http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/ArticlesGraphics/Jerry_Puppetmaster_Goodell.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2011, 12:08 AM

http://static.fancydress.com/resources/ecommerce/images/products/661/600/img600661/product-enlarged.jpg

Or perhaps this:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000778371/polls_1067934713_cop_4339_446598_answer_1_xlarge.j peg

flippy
09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/images/Steven-Seagal-Lawman-AE-TV.jpg

ikestops85
09-07-2011, 09:45 AM

No, he spent a night in a Holiday Inn Express :lol:

Oviedo
09-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Goodell has wood for Black and Gold. Proven with Edwards and Haynesworth.
I don't mind the NFL doing their thing ( to a certain degree ) but, lets make it apples to apples instead of Goodell with his apples to watermellons.

I don't want to wish mine or anyones life away but, I can't wait for someone to write a book 20 years later after time has passed, people retired and or guys just opening there mouths about the truth.

Someday we might learn about why Goodell looks the other way for some teams and the whole cheating deal that went on with the team that has blemished our countries colors.

Cedric Benson actually has to serve jail time and comes back and not a word.

Let's see what do Aquib Talib, Benson, Haynesworth and Bryant have in common that is different than Ben?????? :stirpot

Djfan
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Flip,

I have been thinking about this theory lately. It is making more and more sense to me to be honest. It is the only one that makes sense.

I kind of lost some respect for Rooney over it, though.

Sugar
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Flip,

I have been thinking about this theory lately. It is making more and more sense to me to be honest. It is the only one that makes sense.

:Agree

IF Rooney indeed did this and made Goodell the bad guy over it, he's a coward. Half the Steeler Nation wanted a penalty for Ben (not me, BTW) and Rooney could have handled it in-house. If he chose to throw our QB to the NFL for punishment while he lurked in the shadows, shame on him.

flippy
09-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Flip,

Ben's Rooney's biggest investment. He wants to protect his investment. Seems to have worked out well. According to everyone, Ben's changed.

Maybe this was what he needed.

By all accounts, the other knuckleheads continue being knuckleheads. Maybe Ben would have continued down a similar path if Rooney didn't step up here.

Sugar
09-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Flip,

Ben's Rooney's biggest investment. He wants to protect his investment. Seems to have worked out well. According to everyone, Ben's changed.

Maybe this was what he needed.

By all accounts, the other knuckleheads continue being knuckleheads. Maybe Ben would have continued down a similar path if Rooney didn't step up here.

The problem is that we don't know that Rooney DID step in. If he did, he wasn't man enough to own up to it. I'm going to choose to believe better of him until such time as he admits throwing Ben to Goodell while he hid like a coward.

flippy
09-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Flip,

IF Rooney indeed did this and made Goodell the bad guy over it, he's a coward. Half the Steeler Nation wanted a penalty for Ben (not me, BTW) and Rooney could have handled it in-house. If he chose to throw our QB to the NFL for punishment while he lurked in the shadows, shame on him.

I suspect it was complicated (legally) and that's likely why they did it like they did it.

They really didn't have any grounds to suspend Ben, so they had to tread lightly and the Steelers and NFL probably had to work together to get the result Rooney wanted and not give Ben an out to appeal.

And the net results seems to have worked out ok.

Oviedo
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Flip,

:Agree If Rooney wanted it, then Rooney should have done it.

I think Goodel did it to get the critics off his back for who he was previously punishing. No one will convince me otherwise and decisions, or lack thereof, since then just confirm that to me.

flippy
09-07-2011, 11:34 AM
The problem is that we don't know that Rooney DID step in. If he did, he wasn't man enough to own up to it. I'm going to choose to believe better of him until such time as he admits throwing Ben to Goodell while he hid like a coward.

I seriously doubt it was an ego thing for Rooney. Just a business decision.

Although, he was rightfully irked by Ben. And who could blame him. If you had $100M invested in a guy who was as reckless as Ben, you'd probably have some justified concerns.

We're all a bunch of screw ups, so I'm not into judging others choices. But $100M seems like a big enough number where people start to expect more out of you.

I imagine from Rooney's perspective, Ben is the franchise, so he's going to hold him to a different standard. The Rooney's understand this is the NFL and these guys are more screwed up than the general population, so they let a lot slide.

But with Ben it's completely different. Not just because of the $100M, but the tie to the Steelers brand which is a billion dollar brand. And being a 2 time SuperBowl winner, he's got an impact on the multi billion dollar NFL brand.

Rooney and Goodell were in cahoots against Ben. Rooney likely called the shots. And Goodell gets the blame.

But these are big dollars and it's all about the money at the end of the day.

RuthlessBurgher
09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Perhaps Rooney saw the NFL going to hell in a handbasket with all of these shenanigans happening with players and individual teams unwilling to do anything about it. You think the Bengals, Jets, Cowboys, etc. were willing to punish themselves by suspending their own star players for legal misdeeds? Nope.

Maybe Rooney went to Goodell and told him that he really should step in and do something about it league-wide instead of leaving it up to individual teams, even offering up his own quarterback, who had been embroiled in scandal in consecutive offseasons, as an example Goodell could use to show other players what could happen in the event of repeated misbehavior?

Although it appears that Ben has reigned in his off-field behaviors and settled down as a result, it appears that Goodell has not followed through by continuing to discipline other players afterward (unless, of course, it generates major headlines, then discipline will be swift as a P.R. move).

I imagine that any suggestion from Rooney to Goodell was with the good of the league as a whole in mind, but Goodell seems more focused with discipline for on-field infractions (as for off-field, if a story makes the front page, you are suspended...if it is in the margins on page 5, you are not suspended).

flippy
09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Perhaps Rooney saw the NFL going to hell in a handbasket with all of these shenanigans happening with players and individual teams unwilling to do anything about it. You think the Bengals, Jets, Cowboys, etc. were willing to punish themselves by suspending their own star players for legal misdeeds? Nope.

Maybe Rooney went to Goodell and told him that he really should step in and do something about it league-wide instead of leaving it up to individual teams, even offering up his own quarterback, who had been embroiled in scandal in consecutive offseasons, as an example Goodell could use to show other players what could happen in the event of repeated misbehavior?

Although it appears that Ben has reigned in his off-field behaviors and settled down as a result, it appears that Goodell has not followed through by continuing to discipline other players afterward (unless, of course, it generates major headlines, then discipline will be swift as a P.R. move).

I imagine that any suggestion from Rooney to Goodell was with the good of the league as a whole in mind, but Goodell seems more focused with discipline for on-field infractions (as for off-field, if a story makes the front page, you are suspended...if it is in the margins on page 5, you are not suspended).

Good call. The Rooney's have always been about the good of the league. That's ultimately what they believe drives their best interests.

Steelgal
09-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I agree with everything RB and Flippy have said. That's the only things that makes the most sense.

Slapstick
09-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't know that Rooney had anything to do with it...

This is reason enough for Goodell:

if a story makes the front page, you are suspended...if it is in the margins on page 5, you are not suspended

I think that Rooney would not protest publicly or privately for the good of the league...

Northern_Blitz
09-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Flip,

There were stories at the time that all the team could give him was 4 games and ownership wanted the league to get involved so the number could be bigger.

Djfan
09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
It seems to have helped Ben. If the other teams have players lining up at the local jails, who cares?

Sugar
09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
So, do the ends justify the means then? If Ben was unjustly treated and became a better person because of it, does that make it OK to treat him unjustly?

ikestops85
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
So, do the ends justify the means then? If Ben was unjustly treated and became a better person because of it, does that make it OK to treat him unjustly?

Wel put Sugar :Clap :Clap