PDA

View Full Version : Report: Jaguars release David Garrard

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-garrard/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/report-jaguars-release-david-garrard/)

Now I know I said that Trent Edwards was released by the Raiders a few days ago, and I suggested that Edwards MIGHT be a better QB then Dennis Dixon. And many of you here disagreed with that. But, David Garrard ? Now HE is a better more proven QB then EITHER Dixon or Batch. To me this would be a No-brainer. Release Dixon and sign Garrard right away. Garrard threw for over 2700 Yards in 14 games last season with 23 TD's and 15 Interceptions. And he threw for over 3500 Yds the two seasons before that. And that was on a Jaguar team with average at best WR's. If, and I say IF something ever happened to Ben, I would feel 100 times better with Garrard then I would with " Brittle Boy Batch " or Dixon.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2011, 03:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/report-jaguars-release-david-garrard/

Now I know I said that Trent Edwards was released by the Raiders a few days ago, and I suggested that Edwards MIGHT be a better QB then Dennis Dixon. And many of you here disagreed with that. But, David Garrard ? Now HE is a better more proven QB then EITHER Dixon or Batch. To me this would be a No-brainer. Release Dixon and sign Garrard right away. Garrard threw for over 2700 Yards in 14 games last season with 23 TD's and 15 Interceptions. And he threw for over 3500 Yds the two seasons before that. And that was on a Jaguar team with average at best WR's. If, and I say IF something ever happened to Ben, I would feel 100 times better with Garrard then I would with " Brittle Boy Batch " or Dixon.

Jags replace Leftwich with Garrard.
Jags replace Garrard with Gabbert.
We replace Leftwich with Garrard.
You must admit, there is a certain symmetry there.
How many years until Blaine Gabbbert is a Steeler backup?

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/report-jaguars-release-david-garrard/

Actually it's Luke McCown who is repleacing Garrard, not Gabbert. And with McCown being a career journeyman, with 9 career TD's and 10 career Interceptions, I don't understand why the Jags would release Garrard ???

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Maybe the Jags will go after Luke McCown's brother Josh, who was released by the Niners this weekend, to take Garrard's roster spot. After all, having brothers for quarterbacks worked so well for the Bengals. :lol:

:bungalssuck

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't understand why the Jags would release Garrard ???

well, we can start with the fact that by cutting Garrard the Jaguars will save $9 million this season. I'm sure that was factored into the equation...

JAR
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Of course he was my bench QB in fantasy.... Grossman or McCoy.... hmmmm

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 03:55 PM

well, we can start with the fact that by cutting Garrard the Jaguars will save $9 million this season. I'm sure that was factored into the equation...

I might buy that if this happened say before the deadline for the new cap set in, and the Jags were over it. But they never were over the cap, and were never in any danger. So there goes that theory. Now just because they are under the cap does not mean that their owners are cheap, and just wanted to save money, that could be true. But it's also very dangerous cause it shows your other Vet players that you are not serious about winning. There are reports now that say MJD could be very very upset with the release of Garrard. And you don't want to alienate your other players. But bottom line is that my suggesting we pick up Garrard is a Fantasy. No way in HELL does he ever get through waivers. Teams like Miami, and SF need a QB badly. Hell, I could even see the Colts making a claim for him IF they had the Cap space to take in his current cap number. But, if for some crazy reason Garrard does clear waivers, I would LOVE to see Pittsburgh grad him. Like I said, he is clearly better then either of our two back-up QB's.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 04:01 PM

I might buy that if this happened say before the deadline for the new cap set in, and the Jags were over it. But they never were over the cap, and were never in any danger. So there goes that theory. Now just because they are under the cap does not mean that their owners are cheap, and just wanted to save money, that could be true. But it's also very dangerous cause it shows your other Vet players that you are not serious about winning. There are reports now that say MJD could be very very upset with the release of Garrard. And you don't want to alienate your other players. But bottom line is that my suggesting we pick up Garrard is a Fantasy. No way in HELL does he ever get through waivers. Teams like Miami, and SF need a QB badly. Hell, I could even see the Colts making a claim for him IF they had the Cap space to take in his current cap number. But, if for some crazy reason Garrard does clear waivers, I would LOVE to see Pittsburgh grad him. Like I said, he is clearly better then either of our two back-up QB's.

I remember reading last season that Jack Del Rio was tired of Garrard's inconsistency. in 3 pre-season games this year Garrard had zero TD passes, if Del Rio decided Garrard wasn't going to be his starter then you can't justify paying Garrard that kind of $.

RuthlessBurgher
09-06-2011, 04:09 PM

Garrard's been in the league for more than 4 years. He doesn't have to clear waivers. He's a free agent and can sign with anyone.

phillyesq
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Garrard would be a decent backup option. At this point, it would be hard for him to pick up the offense, but I think he could quickly become a better option than Dixon.

I have a feeling that some of the teams with terrible qb situations will probably go after Garrad, and I don't think he's worth getting into a bidding war over. But yes, at Dixon's salary, I'd take Garrard over Dixon as the #3 qb.

papillon
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Maybe, it wasn't a cap move, but a football move and they don't believe he worth 9 million per annum. If the Steelers sign him, they aren't paying him 9 million, so, it simply could be economics and not capology.

That said, I'd love to see him in a Steeler uniform if it's feasible. I'd have a lot more faith in winning games if something would happen to Ben with Garrard than with Batch or Dixon. I have to think the Steelers aren't the only team looking at Garrard. He won't be a cheap backup quarterback, if a backup at all.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Garrard's been in the league for more than 4 years. He doesn't have to clear waivers. He's a free agent and can sign with anyone.

Really > Thanks for that tidbit :Beer I gotta think Garrard will be interested in the best opportunity to be a starter, which probably means SF or Miami. I still think Indy will settle for Collins as a starter til Manning is back. Also, since Garrard is a Eastern Michigan Grad, he might consider the Lions if they showed interest. But I sure as hell would like to see him behind Ben then Batch or Dixon.

Actually the above statement was wrong. Garrard went to Eastern Carolina, not Eastern Michigan.... :roll:

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Garrard would be a decent backup option. At this point, it would be hard for him to pick up the offense, but I think he could quickly become a better option than Dixon.

I have a feeling that some of the teams with terrible qb situations will probably go after Garrad, and I don't think he's worth getting into a bidding war over. But yes, at Dixon's salary, I'd take Garrard over Dixon as the #3 qb.

Garrard is a WAY better option then either Dixon or " Brittle Boy Batch " ANYONE who even remotely thinks Batch has anything over Garrard is one clueless fool!! Sorry but Grrard is a top-15 QB in the league right now.

fordfixer
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Garrard is a WAY better option then either Dixon or " Brittle Boy Batch " ANYONE who even remotely thinks Batch has anything over Garrard is one clueless fool!! Sorry but Grrard is a top-15 QB in the league right now.

O.K. I'm a clueless fool but Batch does have one thing over Garrard Batch knows our system

insanesteelersfan
09-06-2011, 04:36 PM

O.K. I'm a clueless fool but Batch does have one thing over Garrard Batch knows our system

Knows our system :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's one weak AZZ argument. Everyone who defends Captain Brittle Boy Batch ALWAYS spews that,,,Oh, well at least Batch knows are system :moon Really, it sure as hell didn't make a difference last season when he, and the rest of the Back-ups were leading us to the WORST ranked pass offense in the league through the first 4 games. So stop with this Idiotic talk that Batch knows our system stuff. Jesus, if some how D.Revis was cut tomorrow by the Jets, and said he wants to come to Pittsburgh to play for us at the league MINIMUM!...people like " Fordfixer " would be SCREAMING that we should keep William Gay over Revis cause...Gay KNOWS the system :Clap

Yeah, whatever dude!!

fordfixer
09-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Knows our system :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's one weak AZZ argument. Everyone who defends Captain Brittle Boy Batch ALWAYS spews that,,,Oh, well at least Batch knows are system :moon Really, it sure as hell didn't make a difference last season when he, and the rest of the Back-ups were leading us to the WORST ranked pass offense in the league through the first 4 games. So stop with this Idiotic talk that Batch knows our system stuff. Jesus, if some how D.Revis was cut tomorrow by the Jets, and said he wants to come to Pittsburgh to play for us at the league MINIMUM!...people like " Fordfixer " would be SCREAMING that we should keep William Gay over Revis cause...Gay KNOWS the system :Clap

Yeah, whatever dude!!
You said Batch had nothing on Garrard I pointed out one thing Batch does have on him, weak or not it's true. Deal with it

Chadman
09-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I suspect someone has a problem with Charlie Batch being on the roster....

flippy
09-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Yeah, whatever dude!!

Garrard is to Batch as Bmac is to Gay is more like it.

Now if you said Tom Brady is to Batch as Revis is to Gay, you might have made sense there ;)

I dunno, Garrard looks like overpaid Dixon to me. Both can run. Both have a hard time hitting the side of a barn with one of their passes.

I'm in the camp of thinking that CBatch is a more accurate passer. I do worry Batch is brittle.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Garrard is junk. Might as well keep Dixon as he is junk we know.

feltdizz
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Garrard is a top 15 QB? Now that's a foolish statement.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 06:32 PM

if David Garrard fell out of a boat he would probably miss the ocean.

feltdizz
09-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Garrard is a top 15 QB? Now that's a foolish statement.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-06-2011, 06:47 PM

But he would make the pro bowl. :roll: :lol:

DukieBoy
09-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah, whatever dude!!

What are you going off for? You were making a credible argument and gaining some support for your POV. Don't lose your self-control, man.; it messes up yur argument. Now I feel like bringing in Sonny Jurgensen -- I bet he can still throw darts and bombs.

Shoe
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Let's hope they pick up Andrew Luck next year too then.

flippy
09-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Nice :lol

BradshawsHairdresser
09-06-2011, 10:45 PM
If we needed a backup QB so badly, why not offer the Bungles a 5th-rounder for Carson Palmer? (I'm not advocating that; I think we're OK with what we've got at QB.)

Pahn711
09-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Yeah, whatever dude!!

Batch had 327 yards passing in his two starts last year, and considering one of them was against Baltimore, it was not that bad. Its also worth noting that Sanders and Brown hadn't developed into play making receivers yet. Randle El was stinking it up as the slot receiver.

Revis-Garrard? Thats a horrible analogy btw. Garrard may be a top 15 ranked qb, but if you look at his stats, they are not that impressive in comparison (for one thing, his yards per game were among the bottom feeders of starting nfl qbs).