PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but depth chart woes can stop these Steelers

fordfixer
09-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Commentary: Nothing but depth chart woes can stop these Pittsburgh Steelers
Published: Sunday, September 04, 2011, 8:00 AM
By JIM CARLSON, The Patriot-News
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewsspo ... pth_c.html (http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/09/commentary_nothing_but_depth_c.html)

Let's face it, football fans, there aren’t many NFL units out there that will be able to stop this year’s Pittsburgh Steelers offense.

Baltimore will have a shot and perhaps New England, but there’s really only one thing that can, and that’s the depth chart.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a wealth of extremely talented receivers; that corps is so deep the Steelers could even weather a key injury.

If Ben falls, though, it’s Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon. Both appear to be serviceable and relatively dependable if rather vanilla. Ben cannot fall, nor can he falter.

His offensive line was patchwork last season and it still got him to the Super Bowl. Second-year center Maurkice Pouncey (ankle) must stay healthy to keep Doug Legursky at guard, and Trai Essex subbing at either position.

Rashard Mendenhall is a beast at running back and likely will get the Willie Parker treatment — run him until his wheels fall off or go flat. Mewelde Moore, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman provide adequate depth.

Defensively, the unit is aging, but don’t tell them that. James Harrison will be fighting back problems throughout the season and Troy Polamalu appears to have recovered from his Achille’s problems, but that’s a dangerous injury, one that likely weighs on one’s mind.

Lawrence Timmons and James Farrior and LaMarr Woodley and Larry Foote make for a linebacking nightmare for running backs.

Linemen Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton are getting a bit long in the tooth, but Ziggy Hood and rookie Cam Heyward will sub in nicely.

The secondary remains the weakest link, but the countless blitz packages and pressure from up front undoubtedly will help the coverage.

That said, how does this team not return to its ninth Super Bowl, most likely in a rematch against the Packers?

If anything, the NFL lockout helped this squad because it’s such a veteran team that didn’t need a lot of preseason work and more time than usual to heal old wounds.

Throw in some new, relaxed practice regulations and coach Mike Tomlin easing off a bit and it’s a recipe for success — a Super one.

You read it here first. Only a rash of injuries can stop them — and not much else.

Keyplay1
09-05-2011, 07:59 AM
You do realize this is the kind of crap that is usually reserved for the Ravens, Chargers, Patriots, Colts, Titans, Jets plus the couple of alleged up and comers ---- rarely for the Steelers though. More than likely this guy is figuring this is the type of crap that finishes off all of those other teams before the season starts and he's hoping it works on the Steelers. Jokes on him.
Steelers can't read. LOL

Just the other day there was a thread [some guy from Yahoo Sports] forecasting the division winners etc. This guy came up with the Oakland Raiders would be in the AFC Championship game. Right! But he added he would not RELEASE the winner of that game or the opponent until some future date. Uhh! Really! For some reason I am not losing any sleep over this and am not holding my breath waiting. WTF

DukieBoy
09-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Most of these guys are just one different job offer from writing about Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan.

Sugar
09-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Things can look good on paper (or a computer screen) but the fact is that all that goes out the window at kick off. While I agree that this Steelers team looks stocked on talent and experience, the games have to be played on the field.

Remember also that the NFL experts on both ESPN and NFL.com are picking other teams (mostly the Pats) to represent the AFC in the SB. Many will claim homerism by these Northeast media establishments, but there are some very good teams out there that will also be fighting for the title every game.

I'm excited for the upcoming season, but I've also experienced (as have most of you) the letdown from having what appears on paper to be a clear shot to a championship ruined by the dreaded SB hangover.

DukieBoy
09-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I think this year's version of the Steelers knows they have something to prove after a close loss in the SB, and they will be hungry. Starting the season off in Baltimore vs the Ravens is very motivational, and is a great way to begin the quest. No SB hangover for this hungry, veteran team.

D Rock
09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
You do realize this is the kind of crap that is usually reserved for the Ravens, Chargers, Patriots, Colts, Titans, Jets plus the couple of alleged up and comers ---- rarely for the Steelers though. More than likely this guy is figuring this is the type of crap that finishes off all of those other teams before the season starts and he's hoping it works on the Steelers. Jokes on him.
Steelers can't read. LOL

Just the other day there was a thread [some guy from Yahoo Sports] forecasting the division winners etc. This guy came up with the Oakland Raiders would be in the AFC Championship game. Right! But he added he would not RELEASE the winner of that game or the opponent until some future date. Uhh! Really! For some reason I am not losing any sleep over this and am not holding my breath waiting. WTF

I think that was Michael Silver. His predictions also had the Ravens winning the AFC north.

one of his two AFC wild card teams...the Browns. Yep.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
You read it here first. Only a rash of injuries can stop them — and not much else.

Hope this isn't the attitude of the players on the team... That kind of attitude, I think, is one of the reasons some teams have a difficult time making it back to the Super Bowl the next year.

MR.V.
09-05-2011, 08:35 PM
In my opinion this years squad has a great blend of veterans and young guys.The vets will make sure everyone is focused on the job at hand. Winning the Super Bowl.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 02:32 AM
All Hands On Deck

By Jim Wexell - SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Sep 5, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/96/968748.jpg

The Steelers worked on Labor Day -- all of the Steelers. And those who've been injured throughout the preseason say they'll be ready Sunday for the opener in Baltimore.

PITTSBURGH – It was a working man’s holiday, and work they did.

Ike Taylor: check.

Bryant McFadden: check.

James Harrison: check.

The three injured Steelers all reported that they practiced on this Labor Day holiday. But will they play in the season opener Sunday at Baltimore?

“That’s up to coach T.,” Taylor said of Mike Tomlin. “But nine times out of nine …”

Taylor let the comment drift off. It amused him. It amused him even more when a reporter asked about extra padding for the cast that’s covering his broken left thumb.

“I liked that move. I liked that move,” Taylor said of what he saw as an attempt to get him to admit he’ll play Sunday.

“I don’t know. I’ve got to see what the doctors want me to do as far as protecting my cast, but if I’m able and willing to practice, uh, nine times out of nine … but you gotta ask coach.”

Taylor said he’d have no problem catching the ball or making tackles with the cast because, “Once you step in between the lines, there’s no concern. Either you’re going to get the job done or you’re going to sit your butt down. So once I step in between those two lines, I’m not worrying about how to get a person down or what’s going to happen.

I’ve just got to do it.”

Taylor expects to have the pin taken out of his thumb early this week. And he expects to start at right cornerback on Sunday.

What about McFadden at the other corner? He’s struggled through training camp with what he called the worst hamstring injury of his career.

“I feel pretty good, probably the best I’ve felt since hurting it,” he said. “I’m practicing and not feeling the soreness that I did before. I feel real good.”

As for Harrison, who’s struggling to recover from a low back injury that’s sapped much of his power, he answered the question with a question.

“When do we play?” Harrison replied. “Sunday at 1? I’m on pace to be ready Sunday at 1.”

Will he be strong enough?

“I’m feeling all right,” he said. “It’ll come back with time. Like I said, I’ll be all right. I made it through 12-14 weeks last year with my back messed up, so I’ll do fine now.”

Harrison said it doesn’t matter to him that the Ravens just signed Bryant McKinnie, who could go from street free agent to starting left tackle.

“It could be whoever and it doesn’t matter,” Harrison said. “I’m just out here to do my job, do my part of the defense, and just go out there with an opportunity to play the game I love.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1103110.html