PDA

View Full Version : When can they starting signing to the Practice Squad?

Oviedo
09-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Anyone know? Know how to track that?

papillon
09-04-2011, 09:35 AM
From my limited knowledge of the process the player has to "clear waivers" first. I don't know the time frame for clearing waivers, one day, two days, a week, etc.

I also think the player has to have been in the NFL for less than 4 years, not been on an active roster for more than 9 games or not played in more than 3 games (something to this affect).

You can sign up to 8 players to your practice squad and their salary counts against the cap and they are compensated around $6,000 per week. I think.

The worst team claiming a player always gets the player before a team that had a better record the year before. The only team the Steelers are in front of in this process is the Green Bay Packers.

Once on the PS the players can be signed by any team, but the caveat is that if you take a player from a team's PS he has to be one of your 53 rostered players.

That's all I know Ovi and, unfortunately, I didn't answer your question as to "when" they can begin putting together a PS.

Pappy

D Rock
09-04-2011, 11:15 AM
One of the articles posted yesterday said 'as early as Sunday' but I don't know the specifics on what time today that process can begin.

NJ-STEELER
09-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I thought I remember hearing 24 hours after the deadline for cuts

StarSpangledSteeler
09-04-2011, 12:40 PM
24 hours.

That's one of the reasons why posted our final cuts before the other teams.

Ivy is already signed to our practice squad. More to come soon.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
From the limited # of plays I saw him in (2??), I hope we sign that 6'8" receiver (Lyons?).

JAR
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I wonder if someone grabbed Butler?

The Steelers have signed eight players to their practice, the team announced today.

The eight players signed include running back John Clay, tight end Jamie McCoy, wide receiver Tyler Grisham, offensive linemen Trevis Turner and John Malecki, defensive lineman Corbin Bryant, linebacker Mortty Ivy and defensive back Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-04-2011, 01:59 PM
disappointed that anthony gray didn't make the cut.

oh well.

Oviedo
09-04-2011, 02:01 PM

oh well.

I think McLendon is being groomed as the Casey replacement.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
never hurts to have options ovi.

i think we draft a NT next year before the 4th round.

sure would be nice to have mt cody in place already.

Keyplay1
09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
From my limited knowledge of the process the player has to "clear waivers" first. I don't know the time frame for clearing waivers, one day, two days, a week, etc.

I also think the player has to have been in the NFL for less than 4 years, not been on an active roster for more than 9 games or not played in more than 3 games (something to this affect).

You can sign up to 8 players to your practice squad and their salary counts against the cap and they are compensated around $6,000 per week. I think.

The worst team claiming a player always gets the player before a team that had a better record the year before. The only team the Steelers are in front of in this process is the Green Bay Packers.

Once on the PS the players can be signed by any team, but the caveat is that if you take a player from a team's PS he has to be one of your 53 rostered players.

That's all I know Ovi and, unfortunately, I didn't answer your question as to "when" they can begin putting together a PS.

Pappy

It's only 5PM Sunday now and I already read the thread about the Steelers signed 8 to the PS. I guess that talk about 24 hours after being waived is valid.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I wonder if someone grabbed Butler?

His former DB coach Ray Horton who is now a D.C. in the desert convinced Whisenhunt to finally sign a former Steeler. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM

oh well.

I think McLendon is being groomed as the Casey replacement.

I agree about McLendon being groomed as a possible replacement for Casey, but I would have liked to see Anthony Gray at least signed onto the PS.

but I guess the Steelers just didn't believe Gray was good enough and we will most likely address the NT position early in next year's draft.

Steel Life
09-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Both Cedric Thornton & Frank Kearse, DTs the team liked are now available in late cuts. They both have the size we covet on the DL...