Max Jean-Gilles
Josh McCown
Tommie Harris
Sammy Morris
Chester Taylor

more to come...

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I think we should pick up Perrish Cox, he has the kind of integrity and character the Steelers look for in players... :D

PSU_dropout43
09-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Bills cut CB Terrence McGee.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2011, 03:28 PM
*** cut brandon merriweather

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 03:30 PM
*** cut brandon merriweather

You mean TWO TIME PRO BOWLER Brandon Meriweather? Even Cheetahs fans agreed that his Pro Bowl selections were a crock.

Oviedo
09-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Please find us a TE to back up Heath and keep David Johnson off the field.

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Last year, we had another TE to back up Heath and Johnson still saw the field a ton. Frankly, David Johnson has looked better this preseason than Matt Spaeth looked. Sure, he's a half foot shorter than Spaeth, but Spaeth ran like a newborn giraffe on ice. Johnson has shown the ability this preseason to get open again first team defenses and actually catch the ball, which is something I never saw from him before. And the fact that he was a Johnny-on-the-spot to recover Wallace's fumble in the end zone is a bonus. For now, unless a NFL starting quality TE gets cut who is willing to come in on a reasonable short term deal for this season, I'm good with Miller-Johnson-Saunders (assuming we keep Weslye as our 3rd TE, since he's shown much more than Gilmore this preseason).

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Belichick also cut loose another Brandon as well...Brandon Tate.

I thought that kid showed some promise after sitting out his rookie year while recovering from an ACL tear. He had 24 catches for 432 yards (18.0 avg) and 3 TD's. Good size-speed ratio and an accomplished kick returner (not as if that particular skill is all that useful in today's "touchback" NFL, though).

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Bobbie Williams suspended; Bo Scaife to I.R. for Bengals
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 3, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT

The Bengals have reduced their roster to 53, but the biggest news among their cuts were not cuts at all.

Guard Bobbie Williams, among the best at his position in the league, was suspended four games by the NFL for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing drugs. The news came out of nowhere and hurts a young Bengals offense.

The team also stashed Adam “Pacman” Jones on the PUP list and placed tight end Bo Scaife on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. Linebacker Keith Rivers was placed on the reserve/NFI list, knocking him out for the first six weeks of the season like Jones.

The cuts weren’t quite as noteworthy, but the team did release three veterans: CB Jonathan Wade, DE Victor Adeyanju, and G Max Jean-Gilles. (PFT broke that news earlier.)

The team waived 19 players: FB Fui Vakapuna, CB Brandon Ghee, QB Dan LeFevour, CB Rico Murray, TE John Nalbone, DT Jason Shirley, FB James Develin, CB David Pender, DE James Ruffin, WR Calvin Russell, DT Cornell Banks, DB DeQuin Evans, RB Jay Finley, RB John Griffin, WR Andrew Hawkins, CB Korey Lindsey, T Matthew O’Donnell, G Chris Riley and K Thomas Weber.

Chris Pressley made the team as a fullback. The Bengals only carried two quarterbacks. Recent trade acquisition Taylor Mays made the team, as expected.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/bobbie-williams-suspended-bo-scaife-to-i-r-for-bengals/

Cincy without Williams for 4 games, Rivers and Jones for 6 games, and Scaife for the year.

I really like Brandon Ghee in the lead-up to the draft a couple of years ago, but we took Manny Sanders in the 3rd round (Ghee went to Cincy as a comp pick at the end of the 3rd), so I think our front office made the right choice there.

Ozey74
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Tommie Harris being cut by the Colts is a surprise. He has played well in the preseason and the Colts are week on the DL.

:tt2

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Spaeth ran like a newborn giraffe on ice.

:D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1R-X6xOuHwo/StkDSXtRG1I/AAAAAAAAT8k/Fg2lanoJYLU/s400/Giraffe+wild+life+in+zoo+4.jpg

DukieBoy
09-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Spaeth ran like a newborn giraffe on ice.

:D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1R-X6xOuHwo/StkDSXtRG1I/AAAAAAAAT8k/Fg2lanoJYLU/s400/Giraffe+wild+life+in+zoo+4.jpg

Yes but he peed outdoors like an elephant on diuretics

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I was surprised that the Denver Broncos cut QB Adam Weber after hearing he was out-playing Tim Tebow in camp...

Ex-Gophers QB Adam Weber is better than Tim Tebow, Broncos official says

Posted by: Michael Rand under College football Updated: August 23, 2011

http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/randmid_1314129378_weber.jpg

AP photo, left to right: Tebow, Orton and a shaggy Weber

Per Yahoo! as found by Stensation, ex-Gopher QB Adam Weber is turning some heads in Broncos camp:

“He threw that ball before the receiver made his cut, and it came down in the dude’s hands like, ‘Merry Christmas,’ ” Pro Bowl wideout Brandon Lloyd(notes) recalled Monday. “He’s thrown four or five passes like that in camp where it’s been like … whoa. Weber’s got personality, and he’s got some swag about him, too.”

If you’re wondering about the plight of that other inexperienced passer on the Broncos’ roster – how far and fast he has fallen in the eyes of his bosses – consider that at least some people in the organization believe that Tim Tebow is the fourth-best quarterback on the roster.

As one highly knowledgeable member of the organization told me Monday, “If everything was totally equal, and this were a competition based only on performance at this camp, Tebow would probably be the fourth-string guy. Kyle [Orton] is far and away the best, and Tebow’s way behind [Brady] Quinn, too. And I’m telling you, Adam Weber is flat-out better right now.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/128267183.html

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 10:41 PM
He's better than Tebow? That's not saying much, because I think that Antwaan Randle El would probably make a better starting NFL QB than Tim Tebow. I never understood the Tebow hype whatsoever. You gotta be able to throw a 20 yard out pattern in this league...that's a prerequisite to even get in the door. Timmy would probably make a good H-back, though (just like Kordell would have probably made a pretty darn good WR in this league if he ever embraced such a switch).

Regardless of how he stacked up to Tebow, this Weber dude was still behind Brady Quinn, though? That means he sucks.

D Rock
09-03-2011, 10:52 PM
He's better than Tebow? That's not saying much, because I think that Antwaan Randle El would probably make a better starting NFL QB than Tim Tebow. I never understood the Tebow hype whatsoever. You gotta be able to throw a 20 yard out pattern in this league...that's a prerequisite to even get in the door. Timmy would probably make a good H-back, though (just like Kordell would have probably made a pretty darn good WR in this league if he ever embraced such a switch).

Regardless of how he stacked up to Tebow, this Weber dude was still behind Brady Quinn, though? That means he sucks.

word is Brady Quinn is turning the corner and having a great preseason...

...and then he went 4 for 12, 26 yards, and 1 Int for a 7.6 QB Rating against the Cardinals UPS drivers and shelf-stockers.

insanesteelersfan
09-04-2011, 12:08 AM

I read where the Patriots released their rookie TE, Lee Smith today. Wasn't there some here who really like Smith ? And thought he was a great Blocker ?

winwithd
09-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Thad Gibson cut by the Redskins if we need depth at OLB. We thought enough of him to have him on the PS last year. Also Doug Worthington released by the 'Skins, Smokin' Joe Burnett by the Giants, and Frank the Tank Summers by the Bolts. Not that I'd really want any of them except maybe Burnett and who would we cut? Gay? Is Burnett better than Gay?

phillyesq
09-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Thad Gibson cut by the Redskins if we need depth at OLB. We thought enough of him to have him on the PS last year. Also Doug Worthington released by the 'Skins, Smokin' Joe Burnett by the Giants, and Frank the Tank Summers by the Bolts. Not that I'd really want any of them except maybe Burnett and who would we cut? Gay? Is Burnett better than Gay?

Can't believe that future pro-bowler Joe Burnett was released again.

I could see trying to add Gibson to the PS over some of the guys they had in camp, but that is about it. Worthington would be a decent PS candidate, but I don't think he's any better than Bryant or maybe even Crittendon.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Corbin Bryant showed more this preseason than Doug Worthington did last preseason.

However, Worthington does have experience on the same DL as Cam Heyward (and Thad Gibson played with them as well).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Not that I'd really want any of them except maybe Burnett and who would we cut? Gay? Is Burnett better than Gay?

Cue Ovi in 3...2....1...........

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Belichick also cut loose another Brandon as well...Brandon Tate.

I thought that kid showed some promise after sitting out his rookie year while recovering from an ACL tear. He had 24 catches for 432 yards (18.0 avg) and 3 TD's. Good size-speed ratio and an accomplished kick returner (not as if that particular skill is all that useful in today's "touchback" NFL, though).

Three teams made waiver claim for Brandon Tate

Posted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/brandontateminnesotavikingsvnewenglandwouw-pcrjl-l-e1315196089824.jpg?w=250

One of the more intriguing stories of cutdown day has a post script. As reported by others and as we’ve confirmed with our own eyes, former Patriots receiver Brandon Tate drew a trio of waiver claims after being released.

The 2009 third-rounder prompted the Bengals, Cardinals, and Jets to claim his contract. The Bengals, by virtue of having the worst record of the three teams in 2010, secured Tate’s services.

If Tate had gone to the Jets, it would have continued the seemingly endless New York/Boston back-and-forth in the AFC East.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ndon-tate/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/05/three-teams-made-waiver-claim-for-brandon-tate/)

NJ-STEELER
09-05-2011, 02:44 AM
From another board

Dori Dickerson reportedly coming in for a workout

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 03:00 AM
From another board

Dorin Dickerson reportedly coming in for a workout

could be an interesting H-Back type who the Steelers had previously expressed some interest in...

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/dorin_dickerson.jpg

Two Pittsburgh Panthers, Dorin Dickerson and Nate Byham visited the Steelers Monday. They do not count against the 30 visits the team is permitted to have from college players.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10075/10 ... z1X3EHNEP2 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10075/1043168-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1X3EHNEP2)

Keyplay1
09-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Apparently the Carolina Panthers did not have as much trouble getting down to 53 by Saturday 4pm as the Steelers did. They just kept on going.

They got down to at least 48 waiving 5 more players Sunday and picking up 4 off the wire. I guess they need one more now. LOL

New Orleans signed a guy named Gilmore. Probably the one the Steelers let go. This kind of surprised me. I was wondering how this guy hung around the league for 10 years in the 1st place.

It is hard to tell what a player has just watching TV. But, only time I noticed him was he was the guy that got penalized for lining up over the center in the Carolina game. I mean I'm thinking Geez! I did watch a bunch of other games this preseason and parts of quite a few others besides the Steelers games.

I did not see any other team get penalized for this infraction. But the Steelers managed to get penalized twice. This is the kind of stuff that makes me scratch my head. WTF: I guess it's some kind of new rule. Does it make any sense. I don't know. Rest assured this will not impact any games and at least for sure the Steelers are probably the only team in the NFL aware of it. LOL