PDA

View Full Version : 5 cuts to go, who might they be?

D Rock
09-02-2011, 06:52 PM
There are 7 CBs and 6 WRs left. That can be two of the spots. I'd say Gay and Battle should go.

There are 2 punters. Thats the 3rd spot. This could go either way still.

4 TEs. Thats a 4th cut, hopefully its Gilmore.

I think one of Crittenton, Hoke, and McClendon may be the 5th. Probably Crittenton.

calmkiller
09-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Arnez Battle
Chris Scott
Jarrett Crittenton
Daniel Sepulveda
Steve Mclendon

AkronSteel
09-02-2011, 07:21 PM
William Gay
Jeremy Kapinos
John Gilmore
Javarris Crittendon
Trai Essex

That's my 5.....Essex has not looked good in his return. I'm ready for the team to part ways with Gay.....Sepulveda gets the nod over Kapinos......Saunders gets the nod over Gilmore and Crittendon is lost in a numbers game. This team is loaded!!!

:tt1

Pahn711
09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
William Gay did decently well at nickel last year, I think the Steelers value his experience too much to cut him this year. I'd hate to see them lose Cortez Allen, but unless they can keep him on the practice squad....

Battle had a pretty good preseason at receiver, and even though he won't be used there, I'm still betting they keep 6 wideouts.

Kapinos won the punting competition this preseason, goodbye Sepulveda (and I hope Tomlin learned his lesson about using draft picks on kickers).

The winner of the third TE spot between Saunders and Gilmore is gonna depend on who did better blocking, I dunno this a toss up for me. I'd go with Saunders.

Based on experience and the position flexibility that Trai Essex provides, he stays over Chris Scott, I didn't think Essex did that bad last night, then again I didn't pay too much attention.

I have no clue about the D line...

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2011, 02:32 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

And then there were five — cuts left

September 2nd, 2011
byScott Brown

So the Steelers make most of their cuts — and clear up very little in the process.
They are set at quarterback, running back, linebacker and the secondary (yes, I think the Steelers keep seven cornerbacks).

I don’t think Arnaz Battle makes the final 53 because the Steelers have no need for a sixth wide receiver. Guard/tackle Chris Scott is also out though it wouldn’t shock me if the Steelers keep him instead of Trai Essex.

Defensive end Jarrett Crittenton is an odd man out on the other line, and either Daniel Sepulveda or Jeremy Kapinos will go though both punters did everything they could to make the team.

That leaves, to me, the most interesting dilemma for the Steelers: keeping an extra defensive lineman or a fourth tight end.

If they want to keep rookie Weslye Saunders -– and he won’t make it to their practice squad –- the Steelers may also have to include veteran John Gilmore on the 53-man roster.

Bruce Arians’ offense utilizes three tight ends. If Saunders isn’t quite ready to play regularly Gilmore can serve as a bridge until the Steelers are comfortable the undrafted rookie can handle playing in their three tight end sets.

If the Steelers keep four tight ends, either veteran Chris Hoke or Steve McLendon is out along the defensive line.

The guess here is that Hoke and McLendon are in and Gilmore is cut.

The Steelers have until 6 p.m. Saturday to finalize their 53-man roster.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... cuts-left/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/02/and-then-there-were-five-cuts-left/)

steelblood
09-03-2011, 07:38 AM
I like Scott Brown's take. I can live with that.

DukieBoy
09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
The Steelers can line up Tony Hills or Trai Essex at TE when they go with a 3TE set. They don't need Gilmore to fill that role.

Besides, they have the personnel to spread 5 WRs and they have the QB to utilize that set, which will be prolific.

NorthCoast
09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Can't base your cuts on who is likely to get snapped up by another team. Have to go with the mentality of who will likely contribute and how soon.

Battle is a casualty here. A sixth WR will likely never see the field and his skills are easily replaced. His value on special teams has decreased due to the new kickoff rule.

We need a good blocking TE, we have plenty of pass catchers. I didn't see much of Gilmore playing but if he is the better blocker, he will get the nod.

Hoke has been a true team player. Always ready and plays well when called on, but the young guys have true upside and could be starters for many other teams. Sorry Hoke.

The thing that concerns me about Chris Scott is consistency. Maybe that would come with more PT, but Essex has already proven his worth as a swing man. Bye Chris.

A dead heat for kicker in terms of quality kicks, you have to look at injury history and salary. Unfortunately, Sep gets a knock in both categories. Looking forward to more 60+ yd punts from Kapinos this season.

Pahn711
09-03-2011, 09:43 AM
The Steelers can line up Tony Hills or Trai Essex at TE when they go with a 3TE set. They don't need Gilmore to fill that role.

I think the bigger concern is depth, carrying only two TEs is a problem if someone gets hurt.

Besides, they have the personnel to spread 5 WRs and they have the QB to utilize that set, which will be prolific.

Exactly, which makes me think Battle will make the team.

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I guess we'll be saying good-bye to Jeremy Kapinos, John Gilmore, Arnaz Battle, Chris Scott, and Jarrett Crittenden this afternoon.

I don't think these are particularly difficult cuts. I thought Warren, Bryant, Ivy, and Waters were more difficulty decisions yesterday than what we are left with today.

Flasteel
09-03-2011, 11:39 AM
A dead heat for kicker in terms of quality kicks, you have to look at injury history and salary. Unfortunately, Sep gets a knock in both categories. Looking forward to more 60+ yd punts from Kapinos this season.

I think Kapinos has showed a little more boom than Sepulveda, but Sep's ability to pin teams deep with that Aussie Roll gets him the nod in my book...despite the fear of injury he brings.

phillyesq
09-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I guess we'll be saying good-bye to Jeremy Kapinos, John Gilmore, Arnaz Battle, Chris Scott, and Jarrett Crittenden this afternoon.

I don't think these are particularly difficult cuts. I thought Warren, Bryant, Ivy, and Waters were more difficulty decisions yesterday than what we are left with today.

I don't think there is anybody here that the Steelers would miss.

steelz09
09-03-2011, 05:01 PM
wow ... Hill and Butler are cut.

Steelers Final cuts: T Tony Hills, CB Crezdon Butler, P Jeremy Kapinos, TE John Gilmore, DE J.Crittenton.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2011, 05:17 PM
so chris scott made it over tony hills?

not feeling that one.

Pahn711
09-03-2011, 05:17 PM
wow ... Hill and Butler are cut.

Steelers Final cuts: T Tony Hills, CB Crezdon Butler, P Jeremy Kapinos, TE John Gilmore, DE J.Crittenton.

Interesting...I'm most surprised about Sepulveda over Kapinos. I guess since Hills was at the bottom of the depth chart at tackle and didn't show enough at guard this preseason it makes sense.

Is Butler eligible for the practice squad? I don't recall him dressing for too many games last year, if at all.

NorthCoast
09-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I too,am surprised by the Hills cut. By most accounts, he was having a great camp and seemed to be embracing the right guard position. The light must have never flipped on for the guy, but position flexibility was probably a big part of this move. Legursky is a good guard and not a half bad center.

phillyesq
09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm surprised they kept Scott. He didn't show much at all when I saw him play. I'm not too disappointed in Hills being cut -- we've seen the act where he performs competently in camp only to get cut later.

Crezdon Butler is mildly surprising. I'd rather get rid of Battle, but hopefully they'll be able to get Butler on the PS.

NorthCoast
09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
People have been praising Butler's play but honestly, the games I have seen him play, he reminded me of Willy Gay. Willy gets the nod due to experience I guess.

Steelhere10
09-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I bet the Falcons sign Butler in 3. 2. 1.

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Steelers cut five in order to reach 53-man roster

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Steelers have finalized their 53-man roster after cutting punter Jeremy Kapinos, cornerback Crezdon Butler, guard/tackle Tony Hills, tight end John Gilmore and defensive end Jarrett Crittenton.

The Steelers had until 6 p.m. today to set their roster.

Hills may have been the biggest surprise among the final cuts as he had been in the running for the starting job at right guard just a couple of weeks ago. Butler, a fifth-round draft pick in 2010, proved to be the odd man out as the Steelers kept six cornerbacks, including rookies Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen.

Kapinos came close to sticking, but the Steelers stayed with incumbent Daniel Sepulveda, who is returning from a torn ACL in his right knee that he sustained last December.

Gilmore, who had signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent, got beaten out for the position of No. 3 tight end by rookie Weslye Saunders.

The Steelers will sign eight players to their practice squad and could announce those additions as early as tomorrow.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Wvb8HZgX (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_755011.html#ixzz1Wvb8HZgX)

Steelerphile
09-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hills asked to be released. I felt he was down and perhaps bitter that he wasn't given the opportunity to start, after really performing pretty well in preseason. It was time for him to go his own way. Now the Steelers can roll with their beloved Trai Essex.

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Steelers Make Correct Calls on 53-Man Roster

Posted on September 4, 2011 by ted

As usual, the Steelers’ front office and coaching staff had to make some tough decisions on the team’s final roster cuts. And as the brain trust of the best franchise in the NFL normally does, they made the right ones. I am not just proclaiming this because I correctly picked 52 out of the 53 players who made the team’s roster, having missed on Tony Hills getting released which pretty much no one projected after the preseason.

Instead, the Steelers kept the exact 53 who I was hoping they would keep after Thursday’s preseason finale against the Panthers. The only change I would have made was to not play rookie cornerback Cortez Allen (a long-term project from the Citadel who sat out the first three preseason games with a slight hamstring injury) against Carolina, store him on the injured-reserve list for a year, and thus keep Crezdon Butler as the team’s sixth cornerback on the 53-man active roster.

Butler was the hardest cut to make and was quickly picked up by the Cardinals (Pittsburgh West) as a reserve corner. Despite erroneous reports to the contrary, Butler was ineligible to be signed to Pittsburgh’s practice squad even if he had cleared waivers, because he spent the entire 2010 season on the Steelers’ active roster.

To clear up confusion, an active roster has nothing to do with being among the 46 players who dress for games or if a player actually participates in games. Instead, active roster simply means a team’s 53-man roster and players can no longer be on a practice squad after one accrued (9 games or more) NFL season on a 53-man roster. That is the same reason why Joe Burnett could not be signed to any team’s practice squad after the Steelers cut him last season

The negative is that Butler could have potentially been a good nickleback for the Steelers. But his inability to earn playing time last year or this fall despite the weakness of Pittsburgh’s cornerback depth chart should not have engendered much confidence. Moreover, current rookie third-round pick Curtis Brown is likely to replace William Gay as the Steelers’ slot corner in 2012, assuming Brown is not already starting opposite of Ike Taylor by that point.

The release of Hills was the most surprising, but it made perfect sense. To refresh your memory, Hills was a late-fourth round pick in 2008 viewed as a boom-or-bust left tackle project, because he had failed to progress much at Texas despite possessing excellent athleticism after being a high school tight end. He saw no action for his first two NFL seasons and was a long-shot to make the Steelers’ 53-man roster entering the team’s 2010 training camp.

However, the light appeared to come on last fall for Hills, who shone so brightly in the Steelers’ preseason games that he made the roster. Hills, though, was pretty bad when he actually got a chance to play meaningful minutes against the Titans and Patriots during the regular season.

He began this fall at best as a 50-50 shot to make the roster as a reserve tackle. However, after playing well in the preseason opener against the Eagles, Hills was surprisingly moved to right guard, where he started the next two exhibition games, and looked decent and mobile in Pittsburgh wins against playoff-caliber opponents in the Eagles and Falcons.

Still, the Steelers named Doug Legursky their starting right guard for the season-opener against the Ravens. Theoretically, Hills could keep practicing at that position and might have eventually snatched the starting job away from Legursky. But that would be a risky and uncharacteristic in-season move for the Steelers, since Hills had almost no football experience at guard before this preseason, has not proven himself at any position in actual NFL games, and is physically not built to play the powerful right guard spot in Pittsburgh’s offense.

Moreover, super-sub Trai Essex (who began 2010 as the starting right guard and can play both tackle spots) was re-signed to be the team’s sixth offensive lineman. With rookie tackle Marcus Gilbert also a roster-lock, this meant that Hills was battling Ramon Foster and Chris Scott for two roster spots among the nine likely offensive linemen.

Foster, however, had the advantage of starting the final 10 games last season – including the Super Bowl – at right guard, a position where he may still earn back the starting job from Legursky. Moreover, his real-game experience and more natural build for the guard position makes him a better fit for the game-day dress roster this fall than Hills. Plus, Foster will not become an unrestricted free agent until after 2012, while Hills was slated to reach free agency after this season.

Chris Scott spent the first six games of his rookie season in 2010 on the physically-unable-to-perform list before being activated to the 53-man roster, although he never appeared in a game. He was the surprise of training camp this fall and appeared the favorite to win the right guard job before the exhibition season.

While his mediocre performance in preseason games showed he is nowhere near ready to start or probably even play this fall, Scott still has potential and three more full seasons to improve before he is an unrestricted free agent. If he can develop into another Essex – a valuable and versatile lineman with no natural position but who is a huge asset as a reserve – he will serve the Steelers well in the future, and there is still a decent chance he will become a solid contributor and possibly even a full-time starter. The same cannot be said for Hills, whose time and opportunities have passed. Keeping Scott and Foster were the right calls for both the present and future.

Loyal and long-time readers of this blog know that I am not a fan of cornerback Bryant McFadden or punter Daniel Sepulveda, and honestly am not happy that either is on the Steelers’ 2011 roster. McFadden will earn $2.67 million from the Steelers, who could have saved most of that money by cutting him.

However, despite his injuries and inability to play man-coverage against roughly 90 percent of NFL receivers, McFadden is still the second best outside corner on the Steelers’ current roster, outstanding in run support, understands D!ck LeBeau‘s scheme, and none of the many mid-round cornerbacks the team has drafted in recent years has yet come close to unseating him as a starter.

Now, the Steelers will have major problems getting under the salary cap for 2012, and McFadden will likely be released before next season or agree to a significant paycut with no further contract extension. But the team could not risk cutting him before 2011, since the only other two realistic options would be starting Gay (who is worse as an outside corner than McFadden), and then that would also leave a huge hole at nickleback, or starting the inconsistent Keenan Lewis, who has a history of confidence problems, and is still both raw and largely untested in regular-season NFL action.

Sepulveda is the Pervis Ellison of NFL punters. He simply cannot stay healthy. But he is very talented and has a booming leg. In contrast, Jeremy Kapinos is a journeyman talent, although he has better touch on downing opponents deep in their own territory. However, punters like Kapinos can easily be signed as free agents if (or when) Sepulveda gets hurt again. In fact, Kapinos probably will be available if Sepulveda goes down. But while he is healthy, Pittsburgh was wise to keep the more talented player.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/s ... #more-6198 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/steelers-correct-calls-53man-roster-practice-squad/#more-6198)