PDA

View Full Version : How'd they play tonight?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Just getting home, game about over.

I did see a GREAT catch by our 6'8" receiver ... Lyons? ...

How'd Batch play?

Thanks!

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Just getting home, game about over.

I did see a GREAT catch by our 6'8" receiver ... Lyons? ...

How'd Batch play?

Thanks!

Batch was quietly efficient going 6/8 for 59 yards, 0 TDs and Ints with a 95.3 passer rating.

the offensive star this game has been Jonathan Dwyer who has rushed 12 times for 85 yards including a 50 yard TD run.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks, AlohaSteel! Woo-hooo for Batch!

pfelix73
09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
And on the flip side- Dixon looked bad- So far, he has 3 penalties for throwing the ball away.

Kickers look good- LOL. 52 yarder and a 53 yarder.....

Brown needs to stop with the celebrating in the EZ...Looks like he got a flag for participating in a TD.. Tomlin was pi$$ed..

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Brown needs to stop with the celebrating in the EZ...Looks like he got a flag for participating in a TD.. Tomlin was pi$$ed..

Tomlin has every right to be pi$$ed, I'm sure he's had that conversation with Antonio Brown and there's nothing more frustrating as a coach than having to repeat yourself and not having your players learn from previous similar mistakes.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Brown gets cut to make a point.

j/k :D

grotonsteel
09-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Finally we get to see Cortez Allen and he has been impressive. Allen and Warren have looked good.

Morty Ivy has played better than Sly this preseason. He makes the squad.

Saunders look amazing catching the ball.

I am not that impressed by jason W.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM

I hope that will be enough for Weslye Saunders to make the team, at least he has future potential to improve whereas Gilmore is probably as good as he's ever going to get.

Steelhere10
09-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Wesley Saunders makes the team i think
Cortez Allen makes a strong case along with D Warren
Arnez Battle makes it or should.
Ivey makes it
And finally , i know some people was hyping up Mario Harvey but he straight out sucks the BIG ONE fat and slow. He almost looks like a Dlineman
GAY i repeat GAY sucks and need to be the first cb cut .
The rest wasn't even worth watching.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:26 PM

:Agree

I would not cut one of the young promising CBs trying to make this team in order to keep Willie Gay.

Steelhere10
09-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I also forgot, E Sanders look ready he looked great.

buckeyehoppy
09-01-2011, 11:40 PM

:Agree

I would not cut one of the young promising CBs trying to make this team in order to keep Willie Gay.

If Willie was chocolate, he wouldn't have enough to cover a raisin.

Terrible instincts and does just enough to get by.

Give me Cortez Allen and Donovan Warren and I'll give you an improved Steelers secondary.

Lebsteel
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Finally we get to see Cortez Allen and he has been impressive. Allen and Warren have looked good.

Were you maybe watching #47 Baraka Atkins play OLB late in the game? I thought Worilds looked really good when he was in the game.

buckeyehoppy
09-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Brown gets cut to make a point.

j/k :D

Of course you're j/k, BH. OTOH, would it kill this guy to act like he's been there before and like he'll get there again? Jus' askin'...

winwithd
09-02-2011, 12:27 AM
ST coverage makes me nervous. Our kick returns I think look good. At least we got to see a lot of the ST tonight. That might be the ticket for some of these guys. Battle looked good again catching the ball. Emmanuel Sanders looked great. W Saunders looked good catching passes. I don't know about blocking. Dwyer had one good run but a bunch that went nowhere. He had a nice play on ST. I think Worilds played most of the game and outside of the one sack, where he had a free run to the QB, I was not impressed. I think Morty Ivy looks better than Sylvester. I thought Cortez Allen looked really good. I'd keep him over Will Allen. I thought C Brown looked good most of the time.

The offense looks like it could be SCARY good. The special teams make me nervous. I am concerned about the defense, they looked bad tonight. The only time they've looked good to me this preseason was against the Eagles and I think part of that was just Vick making poor decisions. Besides, the Philly O hasn't exactly looked great so far.

Tomlin and Colbert have some tough decisions to make.

fordfixer
09-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Steelers roll past Newton, Panthers in preseason
By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 2, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 54688.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754688.html)

CHARLOTTE Steelers coach Mike Tomlin began Thursday's game against Carolina looking for a backup to Ben Roethlisberger.

He might not have to look much longer. Charlie Batch, subbing for Roethlisberger in the final preseason game, needed only the first quarter to get a leg up on Dennis Dixon in a 33-17 victory over the Panthers at Bank of America Stadium.

The 14-year veteran was sharp and in command of a balanced offense that scored on its first possession. Batch played only two series, but it might have been enough to cement the No. 2 job.

Tomlin, though, must be concerned about Batch's durability, considering Byron Leftwich may not return from a broken left arm he sustained last week against Atlanta. So he took a long look at Dixon, playing him the final three quarters.

"One of things I wanted to do was put the team in the end zone," Batch said. "It's was something we were able to do at the start, and that's how you want to open up the game driving the ball 80 yards."

The Steelers wasted little time exploiting a Carolina defense that's struggling to rebound from a dismal 2010 season. Batch engineered a near-flawless opening drive by picking apart the Panthers' secondary.

But it was running back Isaac Redman who helped fuel a 10-play, 80-yard drive that put the Steelers up 7-0 with 9:54 left in the first quarter. Redman had runs of 11 and 13 yards, and Batch completed a 14-yard pass to tight end David Johnson.

Johnson put the Steelers on the board when he scooped up a Mike Wallace fumble in the end zone. Wallace, making one of his few catches this preseason, fumbled at the 1, then Johnson snatched the ball from under the legs of Carolina linebacker Dan Connor.

"I tried to knock some of the rust off a little bit," Batch said. "There were a lot of different things we wanted to work on."

The Panthers, with linebacker James Harrison and strong safety Troy Polamalu resting for the season-opener at Baltimore on Sept. 11, countered quickly. Quarterback Cam Newton, the first pick in this year's NFL Draft, marched the Panthers 79 yards to tie the game.

Newton, who played only two series, keyed the drive with a 19-yard scramble to the Pittsburgh 22. Tight end Jeremy Shockey pulled in a short pass at the 5, then shook off Polamalu's backup, Ryan Mundy, for the touchdown.

Batch completed 6 of 8 passes for 59 yards and was impressive despite missing several starters on offense. Center Maurkice Pouncey, still nursing a tender ankle, and running back Rashard Mendenhall sat out.

Mendenhall's absence paved the way for second-year running back Jonathan Dwyer to silence his critics, who argue he has largely underachieved since the Steelers drafted him out of Georgia Tech.

Dwyer isn't likely to supplant Isaac Redman as Mendenhall's backup, but he left no doubt about his place on the roster, carrying 13 times for a game-high 88 yards.

He rushed for 61 yards on a four-play, 69-yard drive and capped it with a 50-yard touchdown run that gave the Steelers a 14-7 lead. He left the game in the final minute of the third quarter after taking a heavy hit.

"I wouldn't have done it without good blocking," Dwyer said. "The offensive line dominated all game long."

While the Steelers enjoyed success on the ground, Tomlin focused on the performance of his quarterbacks.

Dixon, who started two games last year before a season-ending injury, had an inauspicious start. He began the second quarter by throwing wide of a wide-open Antonio Brown near the right sideline and was off target to Arnaz Battle. But he finished strong, orchestrating six scoring drives including tossing a 15-yard touchdown pass to tight end Weslye Saunders with 13:56 to go in the fourth quarter.

"I knew I was going to have a nice bulk of the snaps," said Dixon, who completed 11 of 22 passes for 157 yards. "I didn't know I was going in that early in the second quarter, and I tried to make the best of my opportunity."

But did Dixon do enough to stay in contention for the No. 2 job?

"All I can do is control what I do and put my team in the best situation possible," Dixon said. "Obviously, I've worked hard for (the backup job), but it's up to the coaches. If I have a job, that's all that matters to me."

Read more: Steelers roll past Newton, Panthers in preseason - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Wlqkq0ex (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754688.html#ixzz1Wlqkq0ex)

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Mortty Ivy absolutely destroyed the Panthers' second-string offensive line as he ended up the game with 9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 QB hit, 1 TFL and 1 pass defensed.

Ivy did everything you could possibly ask of a young player in order to make the team and in my opinion he definitely deserves to.

I'll bet the Carolina Panthers wish they would have held onto Ivy.

http://prod.static.panthers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/team/2010-playercards/ivy_mortty.jpg

fordfixer
09-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Steelers get their wish: no more injuries
Friday, September 02, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11245/1171596-66-0.stm

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Steelers accomplished their goal by making it through their final preseason game without serious injury.

No injuries Thursday night, but the trauma will happen for many over the next two days; coach Mike Tomlin must pare his roster to 53 players by 4 p.m. Saturday. Many of those cuts will come today, only hours after the Steelers wrapped up their 3-1 preseason with a 33-17 victory against the Carolina Panthers.

The game was typical for a preseason finale, in which the only outcome any coach cares much about is his team's health.

Because of that, Tomlin rested more than a few starters -- 12 of the 22 regulars did not play, some because of injuries. The starters who did not play included Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Rashard Mendenhall, James Harrison, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, and the injured Bryant McFadden, Maurkice Pouncey and Ike Taylor.

All but possibly McFadden should be ready for the regular-season opener Sept. 11 in Baltimore.

The Steelers not only came out of the game healthy, they added wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders and rookie cornerback Cortez Allen to the list of returnees. Sanders, out since early in camp because of a slow-to-heal foot injury, played for the first time and caught four passes for 60 yards, all in the first half.

"It meant a lot," said Sanders, who climbed to No. 3 as a rookie last season. "I had to go out there and prove myself."

Allen, who had not played because of a hamstring injury, had good coverage and tipped a deep Jimmy Clausen pass away from receiver Armanti Edwards and into the hands of safety Will Allen for an interception. He later dropped an interception all alone and in his gut.

The Steelers first-team offense behind Roethlisberger had scored five touchdowns and one field goal in its previous eight possessions, and quarterback Charlie Batch led them to a sixth touchdown in his first series.

Batch looked a lot like Roethlisberger on that drive, moving the Steelers 80 yards on 10 plays and showing off a strong, 36-year-old arm by overthrowing Mike Wallace deep.

He did not overthrow him on the final play from the 11, hitting Wallace on a perfect slant over the middle. The receiver, however, lost the ball at the 1 when he tried to stretch it over the goal line. It hit a Panther before David Johnson pounced on it for a Steelers touchdown and a 7-0 lead. It did not go down as a Batch scoring pass, but it avoided the team's first preseason turnover.

The Steelers played what represented their first-team offense for two series before quarterback Dennis Dixon led another offense onto the field. He played the position the rest of the game.

Batch completed 6 of 8 passes for 59 yards. Isaac Redman, who started in place of Mendenhall, had another strong outing with 29 yards on four carries to go with an 11-yard pass reception. Dixon completed 11 of 22 passes for 157 yards and a touchdown.

Dixon called his performance "a little up and down for the most part. We scored five or six times, which is good."

Carolina rookie Cam Newton, the first overall pick in the draft, tied the score at 7 by throwing a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Shockey, who beat Ryan Mundy for the short catch and rumbled into the end zone. Newton bowed out after completing 3 of 5 passes for 25 yards.

Jonathan Dwyer, who has nailed down a roster spot in his second season, ripped off a 50-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, breaking two tackles. For the second consecutive game, however, receiver Antonio Brown was penalized 15 yards after a touchdown, this time for unsportsmanlike conduct after he joined Dwyer to celebrate the score.

Dwyer played into the third quarter and finished with 88 yards on 13 carries.

"It was a good one," Dwyer said of his long touchdown run.

He added that Brown and Weslye Saunders threw good blocks.

Saunders is another young player trying to wedge his way onto the roster, and he added another argument to his side of the debate when he caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Dixon in the fourth quarter, giving him three catches for 32 yards.

Shaun Suisham kicked field goals of 52 and 31 yards in the first half. The Panthers added a touchdown in the second quarter. Former Cleveland quarterback Derek Anderson hit David Clowney deep down the right side and past cornerback Crezdon Butler.

In the second half, backup kicker Adi Kunalic of Carolina added a 20-yard field goal and Steelers backup Swayze Waters kicked two, from 22 and 53 yards.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11245/11 ... z1WltMbFLn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11245/1171596-66-0.stm#ixzz1WltMbFLn)

feltdizz
09-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Were you maybe watching #47 Baraka Atkins play OLB late in the game? I thought Worilds looked really good when he was in the game.

Worilds looked great last night...

I called his sack before the snap and the section I was in started asking me for lotto numbers. :lol:

He reminds me of Timmons... ton of speed but needs to work on shedding blocks and filling the gap.