PDA

View Full Version : Donovan Warren needs to make this team!!

Dee Dub
09-01-2011, 09:58 PM
A tremendous tackler in the open field. Nice play at the goalline. I think he could be converted into a safety down the line too.

D Rock
09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
A tremendous tackler in the open field. Nice play at the goalline. I think he could be converted into a safety down the line too.

Unless they begin converting him to safety now, and cut Will Allen, I'm not sure there is room for him. All of these young corners appear so close to each other that without being there seeing what the coaches see every day I have no idea which ones I would like to see kept around.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM

the problem for Donovan Warren is, who do you cut instead?

Vindrow
09-01-2011, 11:50 PM

William Gay

Dee Dub
09-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Two I'd cut are William Gay and Bryant McFadden. Rotate Keneen Lewis and Crezdon Butler opposite Ike at one corner and use Warren in slot/nickle situations.

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 06:27 PM
MONDAY, 05 SEPTEMBER 2011

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

As for why they kept William Gay and let Donovan Warren and Crezdon Butler go, do you think they preferred to keep a player not as good as one they released? Hardly. I will point out to all of you Warren fans that he not only went undrafted last year, but the New York Jets signed him as an undrafted rookie and then waived him. Do you think there might be something missing there?

Butler was picked up by the Arizona Cardinals and he has some talent, but it probably came down to releasing Butler, their fifth-round draft pick in 2010, vs. releasing one of their two rookies this year, drafted in the third and fourth rounds. Again, obviously, they saw something more in the two rookies. As for Gay, he's better than you think. Not a Pro Bowler, but good enough to play their nickel spot, something they did not see in the two corners they released.

http://burgh.us/7e6

SidSmythe
09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Gay is a top Nickel Corner in the league. He just doesn't belong on the outside.

McFadden is the weak spot, but w/ all the inexperience at CB, his experience is still needed opposite of IKE

Eddie Spaghetti
09-05-2011, 07:35 PM
never understood the abject hatred for willie gay.

cutting him would have been a huge mistake.

for once, i agree with douchette.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Gay is a top Nickel Corner in the league. He just doesn't belong on the outside.

McFadden is the weak spot, but w/ all the inexperience at CB, his experience is still needed opposite of IKE

You can't get experience unless you get to play.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-05-2011, 07:44 PM
what did butler do to deserve playing time? he was getting beaten routinely by the other teams 5-6 WR's.

and you want to see him against the 1-2's?

good grief.

BURGH86STEEL
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM

They get experience in practice. If those inexperienced players were making mistakes in practice and I noticed some mistakes in preseason games, it will only show up in the regular season. For whatever reasons, the coaches don't feel comfortable starting those players. However, they may rotate them in during specific situations throughout the season. They rotated Sanders and Brown last season. We should trust the coaches with their decisions.

Shawn
09-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Agreed. Gay is a very good nickle corner. He just can't be a 1 or 2.

DukieBoy
09-05-2011, 09:56 PM
And, I suppose, Gay knows the complicated Lebeau defensive schemes from learning it and playing in it for some years, less true with Butler, and even less true with Warren. The coaches know. Still, many of us liked what we saw from Warren.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
what did butler do to deserve playing time? he was getting beaten routinely by the other teams 5-6 WR's.

Since when did Butler get beaten "routinely" by other teams' 5-6 WR's? Which games?

Willie Gay gets beaten by everybody. He's just got more experience and gets paid more to do it.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2011, 10:15 PM

They get experience in practice. If those inexperienced players were making mistakes in practice and I noticed some mistakes in preseason games, it will only show up in the regular season. For whatever reasons, the coaches don't feel comfortable starting those players. However, they may rotate them in during specific situations throughout the season. They rotated Sanders and Brown last season. We should trust the coaches with their decisions.

The experienced players were also making mistakes in the preseason games. Granted, I don't get to see the practices...maybe the experienced players were perfect in the practices and made mistakes only in the games. But I doubt it.

You mentioned Sanders and Brown. We knock BA a lot on this board, but at least he isn't afraid to let the young guys have a chance to step in and play. Different story on the other side of the ball.

But hey, we aren't supposed to ever question what the coaches decide. Guess message boards are no place to be espousing opinions; all we should be posting here is just the usual rah-rah crap.

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2011, 02:41 AM

William Gay

http://i.imgur.com/78vQn.jpg

Oviedo
09-06-2011, 08:14 AM
And, I suppose, Gay knows the complicated Lebeau defensive schemes from learning it and playing in it for some years, less true with Butler, and even less true with Warren. The coaches know. Still, many of us liked what we saw from Warren.

Gay knows the complicated Lebeau defensive schemes from learning it and playing in it for some years

Worked for Ty Carter for several years. He sucked but LeBeau felt comfortable with his knowledge of the defense. I'm assuming it is the same thing with Gay.

SidSmythe
09-06-2011, 10:12 AM

The experienced players were also making mistakes in the preseason games. Granted, I don't get to see the practices...maybe the experienced players were perfect in the practices and made mistakes only in the games. But I doubt it.

You mentioned Sanders and Brown. We knock BA a lot on this board, but at least he isn't afraid to let the young guys have a chance to step in and play. Different story on the other side of the ball.

But hey, we aren't supposed to ever question what the coaches decide. Guess message boards are no place to be espousing opinions; all we should be posting here is just the usual rah-rah crap.

I have my own Concrete Company.
When I'm laying wet concrete or setting up a job, good luck trying to get much experience on my crew.
Notta big fan of letting people learn on the job. HaHa ... but the rare chance you get, you better show me something or it's to the sideline you go.

Slapstick
09-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Please, stop whining...

Nobody told you not to post...someone disagreed with you (respectfully, too)...

Your opinion is to question the coaches...other people want to trust the coaches...

You obviously don't like Willie Gay while other people think he's a decent Nickel DB...

Post whatever the hell you want about the coaches and their decisions...just don't get all misty when someone disagrees...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Please, stop whining...

Nobody told you not to post...someone disagreed with you (respectfully, too)...

Your opinion is to question the coaches...other people want to trust the coaches...

You obviously don't like Willie Gay while other people think he's a decent Nickel DB...

Post whatever the hell you want about the coaches and their decisions...just don't get all misty when someone disagrees...

:lol: :lol:

I dunno...YOU'RE sounding awfully "whiny" and "misty" to me...but hey, keep on doin' your old "pious" act... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slapstick
09-06-2011, 10:19 PM

I dunno...YOU'RE sounding awfully "whiny" and "misty" to me...but hey, keep on doin' your old "pious" act... :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you say so, dude...

Call it "pious" or whatever you want...

If you post your opinion on a message board, be prepared for people to disagree with you...

It's nothing personal...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-06-2011, 10:38 PM

If you say so, dude...

Call it "pious" or whatever you want...

If you post your opinion on a message board, be prepared for people to disagree with you...

It's nothing personal...

Back at ya...nothing personal...I don't even mind if you want to get "whiny" and "misty". :lol:

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2011, 02:21 AM

Gay knows the complicated Lebeau defensive schemes from learning it and playing in it for some years

Worked for Ty Carter for several years. He sucked but LeBeau felt comfortable with his knowledge of the defense. I'm assuming it is the same thing with Gay.

Some of the most notable points from the news conference:

William Gay will remain the nickel cornerback, playing in the slot.

"He shows good awareness," Tomlin said of Gay. "He is combative in the run, he shows blitz capabilities, but, more than anything, the ability to play in the slot usually is exemplified by what a guy is able to take in and understand from an above-the-neck standpoint. To be quite frank, it is probably more like safety with the position than it is like corner, and he has shown an aptitude for it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11250/11 ... z1XEmFIAAO (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11250/1172650-66-0.stm?cmpid=sports.xml&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1XEmFIAAO)