PDA

View Full Version : About those Steeler 'weaknesses'

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
About those Steeler 'weaknesses'

THURSDAY, 01 SEPTEMBER 2011
WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

It is widely believed that the Steelers have an average-to-poor offensive line, a porous pass defense and a borderline idiot as offensive coordinator.

Somehow they keep going back to the Super Bowl, more often than any team.

Letís talk about those weaknesses or what I prefer to consider ``so-called weaknesses.''

The offensive line: The group that started in the Super Bowl last year against Green Bay helped the Steelers to more yards, more first downs and more offensive points than the Packers, which is pretty good playing against the best team in the NFL. They were able to do this despite the fact their best member, center Maurkice Pouncey, did not play.

Pouncey is back and again will start at center.

Willie Colon, who missed all of last season with injury, is back at right tackle, where he started 16 for the previous three seasons including the 2008 Super Bowl champions. Some might not consider this an upgrade over Flozell Adams, but they should note that the Steelers cut Adams and no one has picked him up.

Chris Kemoeatu is back at left guard, a position he held last season and on the 2008 Super Bowl champions.

Ramon Foster, who started at right guard last season is back but will not start and is not even in contention to start. The job will fall to either Doug Legursky, who is expected to start tonight against the Carolina Panthers, or Tony Hills, a seldom-used tackle who was switched to guard this season.

Jonathan Scott, who took over left tackle last season when Max Starks was lost to injury, returns, but has been hurt. He should play tonight and could open the season. If he is not ready, Marcus Gilbert, the 2011 second-round draft choice, will start.

So what you have are two returnees from a Super Bowl champion (Kemoeatu and Colon) a player (Legursky or Hill) who will have beaten out a returnee from a Super Bowl line that outplayed Green Bay, and the best rookie center in Steelers history.

Some people call that a below-average line. I donít.

The secondary features four players who started in the 2008 Super Bowl won by the Steelers and the 2010 Super Bowl that they lost.

A lot of teams would like to have that kind of personnel.

Thatís not to suggest this is a superior group. Itís not. But it has been good enough. Ike Taylor might be the most underrated cornerback in NFL history. Heís been the No. 1 corner on two Super Bowl champions and never made the Pro Bowl.

Also in the secondary is strong safety Troy Polamalu, whoís headed to the Hall of Fame, and merely the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2010.í

Cornerback Bryant McFadden and free safety Ryan Clark have started in two Super Bowls.

As for offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, thereís no arguing with people about him. Iíve been trying for three years to convince fans heís not an idiot. I wonít waste any more of your time or mine because they still believe they can call plays better than he can.

Those are the Steelers weaknesses. If they are, that makes them a pretty strong team. Strong enough to get to the Super Bowl?

It certainly could happen. Two things could halt that dream. Injuries and a better team.

Thatís why they play the 16 games. Should be another great Steelers season.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... weaknesses (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/29965-about-those-steeler-weaknesses)

SteelLax
09-01-2011, 05:14 PM
IMO, the biggest reason the o-line hasn't been a weakness is the fine coaching job by Sean Kugler. Without him, i don't know what our offensive line would look like. And I also agree about the secondary. Not the best, but enough to get the job done, and that's all we need. My :2c

:ratsuck

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
IMO, the biggest reason the o-line hasn't been a weakness is the fine coaching job by Sean Kugler. Without him, i don't know what our offensive line would look like. And I also agree about the secondary. Not the best, but enough to get the job done, and that's all we need. My :2c

:ratsuck

nice post SteelLax and welcome to the Board! :Cheers

and yes, :ratsuck

Steelers>NFL
09-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Mostly everyone gets worked up over the weak secondary, or OL or Ben holding the ball too long etc. But we forget how there is NOT one team in the NFL that is perfect all-around. Not one. Having said that, no the Steelers are not perfect. But every year they have as strong as a chance to get to the Super Bowl as anyone. Every year we have something to look forward to. Every year... How many teams can say that.

It is AWESOME to be a Steeler fan, because the Rooneys/Colbert/Tomlin always put a good product on the field...

feltdizz
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Mostly everyone gets worked up over the weak secondary, or OL or Ben holding the ball too long etc. But we forget how there is NOT one team in the NFL that is perfect all-around. Not one. Having said that, no the Steelers are not perfect. But every year they have as strong as a chance to get to the Super Bowl as anyone. Every year we have something to look forward to. Every year... How many teams can say that.

It is AWESOME to be a Steeler fan, because the Rooneys/Colbert/Tomlin always put a good product on the field...

:Agree

Sugar
09-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Well said...

I grew up in Lions country and now live in Bengals country. Obviously, I've seen a lot of bad football and struggling organizations that don't "get it" but only hope that the planets align and it might be their year. For all the things that frustrate us as Steeler fans, most NFL fans would trade for our situation in a heartbeat.

Djfan
09-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Every year we have something to look forward to. Every year... How many teams can say that.

The Bungals look forward to a top 5 pick every year.

feltdizz
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
The crazy thing about fans in Charlotte is their outlook of the team. It's so short sighted. Right now there is a Panther fan day dreaming about Andrew Luck. Why, I don't know.. but for some reason these fans think he will save them. The kid said he wasn't entering the draft the day after the Panther owner said he would take Luck if he declared...

When Dixon missed Brown last night on that open pass my friend and I lost it....

Panther fans said "welcome to our world"

A ton of fans from Philly to Cincy to Charlotte have all said the same thing... "I wish we had an organization like you guys have"

Damn shame when you have to wish...

flippy
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
We're all the same in the end. We just want to be better.

Captain Lemming
09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I grew up in Lions country and now live in Bengals country.

Do you study big cats? :D

Sugar
09-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Maybe I should have? :lol:

Next stop- Panthers country!!!

BTW- :bungalssuck

BURGH86STEEL
09-03-2011, 12:34 AM

Yep

StarSpangledSteeler
09-03-2011, 04:34 AM
I agree that we as Steeler fans have been spoiled lately. The last 7 years for sure. I personally don't mind the fact that we choose to spend our money on other positions and allow OL and CB to suffer a little. This is a QB league. Give Ben his weapons. Give LeBeau a good front 7 pass rush. And I'll take my chances against any team in the NFL. I remember the days when we used to draft 1st and 2nd rounders all across the entire OL and we never won anything. Colbert is a very solid drafter and team builder.

I think the problem most of us have is, when the coaches keep below average players on the field so much and fail to allow the younger (potentially more talented) players to develop. If our DB's suck and we're trying to replace them and just not finding the right combinations, I think our fan base can accept that. But when we watch Gay get beat time after time after time because he doesn't have the speed or ball skills to defend NFL WR's and we keep Butler and even Lewis on the bench, we as fans say "WTF?"

I believe if our DB's and OL were a little bit better, we win the Super Bowl. I'm very pleased that we got to the big dance. But I think it's fair to criticize areas that need to be improved, especially when it sometimes appears the coaches are more concerned with continuity than improvement.

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 11:59 AM

No...he's just two-thirds of his way down the yellow brick road on the way to Chicago. Oh my!

Starlifter
09-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I've been a long-time BA critic but I was pretty fair with him last year and I thought that was a nice job. I think this year we are really stacked on offense. If the steelers aren't in the top 10 for points (and no major injuries to blame) - anyone think smizik will hold BA accountable?

Djfan
09-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I've been a long-time BA critic but I was pretty fair with him last year and I thought that was a nice job. I think this year we are really stacked on offense. If the steelers aren't in the top 10 for points (and no major injuries to blame) - anyone think smizik will hold BA accountable?

I have been entertaining the same ideas. I am dying to be his biggest fan. This year is the year for him to shine.