PDA

View Full Version : Toys R Us hates Ben

steelnavy
09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Was at the Toys R Us outside of Wright-Patt AFB last night looking for something to bring back to the kids from my trip (it is officially a ritual; better have something for them when I get back!). Gawd, that store is rediculous. So much junk! But I digress... In the sports section, I noticed some NFL player action figures and walked over to check them out after seeing Steelers colors on one of them. So there was an Aaron Rogers, an Eli Manning, and, drum roll please, a Terry Bradshaw...

I don't get it. Are Steelers fans just blind homers in our appreciation of Ben's exceptional abilities at QB? Why does the rest of the country not agree? The man has taken the team to three 3 SBs!

I really don't get it...

steelblood
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Because the rest of the country sees him as a rapist - which is really a poor choice for a children's toy.

Eich
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Fair or not, I think that 2 sexual assault accusations & a 4 game suspension to go with it have something to do with Ben's lack of action figure representation at ToysRUs.

Probably wasn't a Michael Vick action figure there either...

MeetJoeGreene
09-01-2011, 11:35 AM
All of the Big Ben Action figures were in the bathroom stalls of the Dollhouses with Barbies.

:Boobs :wft :D

Eich
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Because the rest of the country sees him as a rapist - which is really a poor choice for a children's toy.

Agreed. Yesterday on DC radio, they were talking about Ben and how selfish he was to put himself in a position to have 2 accusations against him - fraternizing with college girls during a birthday drinking binge after already being accused of assault. While they acknolwedged that they doubt he actually raped someone and it's likely that he was a target, they also said that they don't know for sure and it's certainly possible that he did.

That leaves anyone not a Steelers fan to more than likely feel like Ben is a bad guy. If he can go 5 offseasons without negative publicity, maybe that perception will turn around.

Ghost
09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/TJgJWuCG3uI/AAAAAAAADnM/j9Tu4R8xAXM/S220/barbie.bmp

Steveo
09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I picked up one at Target in Virginia the other night, they even had Terry Bradshaw. You might want to check there and Walmart if you have one around you.

flippy
09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton probably asked the CEO of Toys R Us to remove Ben from their shelves.

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Steeler fans who think Ben got a raw deal fail to see how fans of the other 31 teams and the rest of the world views Ben.

They don't have sympathy for him or think he was given a raw deal. If this was Brady or Manning I seriously doubt Steeler fans would think these guys were totally innocent.

Slapstick
09-01-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't care...Brady or Manning wouldn't have been suspended...

ColumbusSteelerFan
09-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Yep, see Manning and the University of Tennessee employee incident. Quietly swept under the rug and no discipline by the NFL, but I digress...

Steelgal
09-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Yep, see Manning and the University of Tennessee employee incident. Quietly swept under the rug and no discipline by the NFL, but I digress...

I think it's hard to compare to two. Back in those days, ESPN wasn't nearly as big as it is now. NFLN wasn't even around and the social media avenues have exploded. Media coverage is totally different than it was back then, not saying that is a good thing either. Nowadays people are used to getting much more information, even if it's not always correct.

I honestly still think the suspension was more of a "the Rooney's were gonna do it anyway, but let Goodell take the fall for it" type of thing. The Steelers have always prided themselves in having higher standards than most other NFL teams and 2 incidents of Ben looking badly in a short amount of time, just sealed his fate. I'm not sure if the rumors to want to trade ben were legit or not, but I think the suspension was all their doing.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
The Steelers have always prided themselves in having higher standards than most other NFL teams
Which is complete crap. When Arrow Head shot at, and wounded a police officer, he was quickly ushered to the hospital by the Rooneys for mental help. The Steelers have had their fair share of malcontents, you can be assured.

insanesteelersfan
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Ben gets ridiculed because all the rest of the countries fans are envious. And Ben did nothing wrong that night in Georgia. Yes he COULD have acted more mature yes. But he was mature enough to hire two SOBER drivers that night. I'm sure the family members of the people that Stallworth and L.Little KILLED think Ben was acting pretty mature that night. As for Ben hanging with College girls....Ah NO. They were hanging with him. And in a Bar where you have to be 21 or older to get in, Ben had a REASONABLE ASSUMPTION to think ALL those girls were at least 21, just 7 years younger then Ben who just turned 28. So, is a man who is hanging with women around 7 years younger then him a crime ? Hell, I'm 49 and single and am dating a 38 year old Lady...am I a pervert ? The Ex-wife of Hulk Hogan, who is in her Mid-50's is engaged to her sons 19 year old friend. And when I saw Linda Hogan on that show " The View ".....ALL those ladies were giving her High-5's and saying....You go Girl!!

But I guess it's different for Ben huh ? Can you say...Double Standard ?

BackwoodsSteeler
09-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Ben gets ridiculed because all the rest of the countries fans are envious. And Ben did nothing wrong that night in Georgia. Yes he COULD have acted more mature yes. But he was mature enough to hire two SOBER drivers that night. I'm sure the family members of the people that Stallworth and L.Little KILLED think Ben was acting pretty mature that night. As for Ben hanging with College girls....Ah NO. They were hanging with him. And in a Bar where you have to be 21 or older to get in, Ben had a REASONABLE ASSUMPTION to think ALL those girls were at least 21, just 7 years younger then Ben who just turned 28. So, is a man who is hanging with women around 7 years younger then him a crime ? Hell, I'm 49 and single and am dating a 38 year old Lady...am I a pervert ? The Ex-wife of Hulk Hogan, who is in her Mid-50's is engaged to her sons 19 year old friend. And when I saw Linda Hogan on that show " The View ".....ALL those ladies were giving her High-5's and saying....You go Girl!!

Excellent post.

And lets all remember...they were following him from bar to bar and playing grab ass.....not Ben.

insanesteelersfan
09-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Excellent post.

And lets all remember...they were following him from bar to bar and playing grab bad word.....not Ben.

Yes they did. But I don't wanna excuse some of the bad things Ben did that night. Like trying to engage in sex with that women in that bathroom, although Ben said it was consensual. And all the evidence points that it was. That still does not excuse Ben's juvinel behaiver. But that is hardly a crime. And it hardly doesn't come close to a suspension. THAT was brought on by the complaints of the " Dynamic BLACK Duo "...you know who! As far as Toys R us not having a Ben action figure, I could careless. And I know Ben ain't losing any sleep over it.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-01-2011, 03:01 PM

And lets all remember...they were following him from bar to bar and playing grab bad word.....not Ben.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTF

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 03:04 PM
here's what I think:

http://www.funtechtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/toy-r-us-sucks.jpg

steelblood
09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
The problem wasn't the first claim. The rest of the country would have let that go eventually (for the most part). The problem was the second. If Tom Brady was accused of sexual assault twice in a short period, we wouldn't be looking at the facts or for the good in him. We'd be calling him a rapist and asking if one of the victims was a dude.

insanesteelersfan
09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
The problem wasn't the first claim. The rest of the country would have let that go eventually (for the most part). The problem was the second. If Tom Brady was accused of sexual assault twice in a short period, we wouldn't be looking at the facts or for the good in him. We'd be calling him a rapist and asking if one of the victims was a dude.

The amount of claims is not, nor should it EVER be the consideration. Only the MERIT of the claims. And the first one was 2 years earlier, not just a short time from the second one like you said, so get your facts straight. The second was totally rebuffed when the GBI caught the alledged victim, and her witnesses in direct lies. Not to mention the fact that there was zero physical evidence. But yes, Ben should have been smarter then to try and hook-up with what is now KNOWN to be a Pure Money Grubbing WHORE!!

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 03:43 PM

If Manning left school after getting his coach canned and tried to get in through the supplemental draft and Goodell was commish... whew! I could see your point but ummm..

How many players from the U of Miami, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 who got in trouble in college were suspended/disciplined by the NFL when Tag was commish? Hell, how many players were suspended when Tag was commish? :roll:

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 03:51 PM

It makes no sense to go back to Tagliabue's days to point out how unfair Goodell is...

Now as far as over the age of 21. I'm sorry but anyone who lives in a college town or attended college knows the chances of an underage chick being inside is sky high.

That wasn't the problem though... the problem is the rape accusation charge that had Ben's name in it was still open. If you are accused of selling drugs... you don't go to a drug dealers house to play madden.

Ben is a grown man and trying to have sex in the bathroom at a grimy college bar was the DUMBEST thing he could do given his past. Now this doesn't mean the girl wasn't following him or didn't want a little Ben in her life that night but he is an NFL superstar. There will always be chicks who are running behind him. He should have been smarter and he put himself in a position to be judged.

Doesn't mean he is guilty, just means he put himself in a position to be judged... and with one already on the rap sheet it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the public opinion will be.

NottinghamForest_UK
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Ha-ha all men are perverts, right? Just some hide it better.

I really donít care what other teams think about Big Ben or any other Steeler player for that matter, they are insignificants. Furthermore, surely it just unites the Black & Gold family closer together against the bigots and Goodallís of this world anyway.

The only problem I have is that Ben, like it or not, is a role model to the youth of America and should act accordingly. Guilty or innocent, he should have been smarter, like his job and profile demands. But this is now history, heís served his punishment, move on people ...

insanesteelersfan
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
That wasn't the problem though... the problem is the rape accusation charge that had Ben's name in it was still open. If you are accused of selling drugs... you don't go to a drug dealers house to play madden.

Sorry but that is easily the most idiotic statement ever wrote on this, or any other board. You equate going to a LEGAL Bar on his Birthday the same as going to a Drug Dealers house ?....absolutely stupid!!

steelblood
09-01-2011, 04:03 PM

The amount of claims is not, nor should it EVER be the consideration. Only the MERIT of the claims. And the first one was 2 years earlier, not just a short time from the second one like you said, so get your facts straight. The second was totally rebuffed when the GBI caught the alledged victim, and her witnesses in direct lies. Not to mention the fact that there was zero physical evidence. But yes, Ben should have been smarter then to try and hook-up with what is now KNOWN to be a Pure Money Grubbing WHORE!!

Once again, you fail to digest what I read, and instead, you focus on details. I'm not saying the amount of time matters to me nor to anyone who actually is well-versed on the Ben's accusations. But, in the court of public opinion, it does matter. And two sexual assault allegations in two years is a relatively short period. At least short enough to scream "pattern of behavior" to anyone who is only reading headlines and a few details or listening to ESPN. The second accusation IS the reason that these accusations will always be a part of his reputation (outside of most Steeler fans who understand more of the facts).

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Sorry but that is easily the most idiotic statement ever wrote on this, or any other board. You equate going to a LEGAL Bar on his Birthday the same as going to a Drug Dealers house ?....absolutely stupid!!

no insane man...

I equated it to going into the bathroom to have sex with a chick he just met at a college bar while having an open case with the word rape next to his name. :lol:

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 04:06 PM

I really donít care what other teams think about Big Ben or any other Steeler player for that matter, they are insignificants. Furthermore, surely it just unites the Black & Gold family closer together against the bigots and Goodallís of this world anyway.

The only problem I have is that Ben, like it or not, is a role model to the youth of America and should act accordingly. Guilty or innocent, he should have been smarter, like his job and profile demands. But this is now history, heís served his punishment, move on people ...

bigots and goodells of this world? :wft

NottinghamForest_UK
09-01-2011, 04:31 PM

bigots and goodells of this world? :wft

I'm talking things in general like the Harrison fines & the general hatred, not specifically what Ben was alleged to have done! Seems to be a lot of angst towards us! :Steel

Sugar
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
So you were looking for a Big Ben figure just outside the very heart of Bengals country? If you go to the actual sports stores in the area, you'll find plenty of BB jerseys and action figures. If you just crossed the street from that TRU you were at you could have found plenty of BB stuff at Cardboard heros (Mall at Fairfield Commons).

TRU only has so much room for this kind of inventory. I notice that you didn't mention the Troy Polomalu or Rashard Mendenhall figures you didn't find there either. It's really not that big a deal.

siss
09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't think Ben is as hated as he is made out to be.

I think the media made it out to be more than it was. There are people who have no desire (steeler fans included) to hear the other side of the story. A person can be disgusted with his behavior and his actions. I think thats valid. But if you are, that really you should be discusted with anyone that tries to get some in a bar every weekend.

Was Ben stupid? Yep! But so was she. And I think that some most see that, whether or not they know the whole story.

Plus it hasn't really hurt his jersey sales.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... Sales.aspx (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/09/01/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/NFL-Jersey-Sales.aspx)

Mel Blount's G
09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
So maybe he wasn't "wrong" or "bad" so much as he just wasn't smart?

siss
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
I think he was a grown man trying to get some tail. I won't be the one to judge if that makes him "bad" or "wrong".
And most certainly not smart.

steelnavy
09-01-2011, 11:19 PM
So you were looking for a Big Ben figure just outside the very heart of Bengals country? If you go to the actual sports stores in the area, you'll find plenty of BB jerseys and action figures. If you just crossed the street from that TRU you were at you could have found plenty of BB stuff at Cardboard heros (Mall at Fairfield Commons).

TRU only has so much room for this kind of inventory. I notice that you didn't mention the Troy Polomalu or Rashard Mendenhall figures you didn't find there either. It's really not that big a deal.

Sugar, try reading my post before typing; you will sound much smarter... The point was that they had two current qbs of relative accomplishment, and for the Steelers they break out Bradshaw from 40 years ago. Ben is more accomplished than the other two. And if you want to talk location, why is Eli Manning offered in Bungals territory?

I wasn't shopping for Steelers stuff in Dayton OH. Geeesh... :roll:

NJ-STEELER
09-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Could it be possible that the BB was already sold out?

feltdizz
09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I think he was a grown man trying to get some tail. I won't be the one to judge if that makes him "bad" or "wrong".
And most certainly not smart.

It was a bad idea... a really bad idea and he paid a nice price for it.

flippy
09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Could it be possible that the BB was already sold out?

No room for sensible questions in a Big Ben is hated thread ;)

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 12:15 PM
So there was an Aaron Rogers, an Eli Manning, and, drum roll please, a Terry Bradshaw...

Does this Toys R Us have something against Bart Starr and Phil Simms? :stirpot :lol:

spyboots
09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Haven't been in ToysRUs since last Christmas, but they had Ben at that time in the Phx stores.