PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers’ pass defense: a problem or not?

fordfixer
08-31-2011, 11:38 PM
The Steelers’ pass defense: a problem or not?
Written on August 30, 2011 by Ed Smallwood
http://isportsweb.com/2011/08/30/steele ... em-or-not/ (http://isportsweb.com/2011/08/30/steelers-pass-defense-problem-or-not/)

The conventional wisdom among writers, bloggers, coaches, and pretty much anyone who analyzes the Steelers is that the way to beat them is through the air. This theory emanates from a lot of factors: (1) the complete hopelessness of running the ball against the Steelers, (2) the success that some elite QB’s had against the Steelers in some nationally televised games, including the Super Bowl, and (3) the Steelers’ personnel in the secondary is generally less intimidating than the front seven. During Saturday’s preseason game, the Falcons decided to test this theory by having Matt Ryan throw 42 times in the first half alone. Given that this issue tends to dominate discussions about attacking the Steelers’ defense, I thought I’d analyze its legitimacy as the season approaches.

THEORY #1: YOU JUST CAN’T RUN THE BALL

The 2010 Steelers possessed one of the best run defenses in modern NFL history. The Steelers allowed only 62.8 yards per game on the ground, holding opposing carriers to a 3.0 ypc average and didn’t allow a run of longer than 24 yards all season. The dominance of the run defense can best be summarized by analyzing these statistics against the rest of the NFL:

1. Steelers – 62.8 yards per game

2. Chicago – 90.1 yards per game

20. Tennessee – 115.7 yards per game

The Bears ranked 2nd in the NFL in rushing defense, but were actually closer to finishing 20th than they were to finishing 1st. Simply, running the football against the Steelers did not work, not even a little. As such, teams generally abandoned the run early and often against the Steelers, attempting only 333 rushes for the season, the fewest in the NFL by a significant margin (Atlanta faced the second fewest rushing plays at 366).

As a result of the inability to run the ball and frequently being behind, opposing offenses aired it out against the Steelers. Opposing teams attempted 593 passes, the 4th highest total in the league, in addition to being sacked 48 times, the most in the NFL. Despite facing such a prodigious amount of passes, the Steelers’ pass defense posted good-to-excellent numbers in most categories:

214 ypg allowed - 12th in the NFL
15 pass TD allowed – 3rd
6.3 ypa allowed - 1st
73.1 OPP QB rating – 2nd

For those of you who enjoy the sabermetric analysis of football, the folks at Football Outsiders rank the 2010 Steelers as having the 2nd best pass defense using their intricate formula for determining their ratings. No one told me there’d be math when I began writing this column, so you can read more here:

Looking at all of these numbers, the conventional wisdom that the Steelers are vulnerable to the pass seems erroneous. So the question becomes from where does this theory come?

THEORY #2: ELITE QB’S SHRED THE STEELERS’ DEFENSE

As discussed above, the Steelers’ pass defense’s total numbers were very good across the board. There were, however, three very notable exceptions to this rule, and these exceptions certainly create the idea that an elite QB can gash the Steelers:

On Halloween night in New Orleans, Drew Brees was 34/44 for 305 yards and 2 TD’s, completing 20/22 passes in the second half of the game. Brees only averaged 6.9 yards per attempt (below the NFL average of 7.1 yards per attempt), but his QB rating was 101.0 for the game and the Steelers simply couldn’t get off the field in the second half, with the Saints’ 4 possessions ending in 2 TD’s, a FG, and a fumble deep in Pittsburgh territory.
Two weeks later on another Sunday Night Game, Tom Brady, who has been one QB that has routinely dismantled the Steelers over the years, absolutely destroyed the Steelers’ defense. Brady’s final numbers of 30/43 for 350 yards and 3 TD’s with a passer rating of 117.4 actually seem to understate how badly he shredded the Steelers’ secondary.
Finally, in Super Bowl XLV, Aaron Rodgers had his way with the Steelers’ secondary most of the night, going 24/39 for 304 yards and 3 TD’s with no picks and a passer rating of 111.5.

Three big games on big stages against elite QB’s, and three very bad defensive performances against the pass. It can be further argued that the Steelers faced a lot of average-to-bad QB’s during the 2010 season, with the other 16 games not described above being started by: Joe Flacco (3 times), Mark Sanchez (2), Colt McCoy (2), Carson Palmer (2), Jimmy Claussen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Ryan, Chad Henne, Vince Young, Josh Freeman, and Jason Campbell. Ryan is generally considered a top 10 QB in the NFL, and some would argue that Flacco is in the top 10 or close thereto, but the Steelers did not face a lot of elite QB play in 2010.

THEORY #3: LACK OF INVESTMENT IN THE SECONDARY

Setting Troy Polamalu aside, here is how the other members of the 2010 Steelers’ secondary were obtained:

S Ryan Clark – signed as a free agent from Washington – undrafted out of college
S Ryan Mundy – 2008 6th round draft choice
S Will Allen – signed as free agent from Tampa Bay – originally a 2004 4th round draft choice
CB Ike Taylor – 2003 4th round draft choice
CB Bryant McFadden – re-acquired in trade from Arizona for 5th round pick – originally a 2005 2nd round draft choice
CB William Gay – 2007 5th round draft choice
CB Anthony Madison – signed as undrafted free agent
CB Keenan Lewis – 2009 3rd round draft choice
CB Crezdon Butler – 2010 5th round draft choice

Thus, of the 9 defensive backs that played in the Super Bowl for the Steelers (Butler was inactive), only Polamalu, Lewis, and McFadden were drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL draft, and the last defensive back drafted in the first two rounds of the draft was McFadden back in 2005. No team knows better than the Steelers that good players can be found as undrafted free agents (James Harrison, Willie Parker, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster, Darnell Stapleton, and Ryan Clark have all been starters on Steelers’ Super Bowl teams despite being undrafted out of college), but the lack of investment in top end talent in the secondary may lead to the impression of vulnerability.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN 2011

The Steelers return 8 of the 9 defensive backs that played in Super Bowl XLV (Anthony Madison signed with Detroit over the offseason), and also return Butler. The club also drafted CB Curtis Brown in the 3rd round and CB Cortez Allen in the 4th round of the 2011 draft. The Steelers have been absolutely riddled with injuries during the preseason however, with Taylor playing in only one preseason game and with McFadden and Cortez Allen appearing in none. The club has high hopes for Curtis Brown, but he simply hasn’t had enough reps to overcome the lack of OTA’s and minicamps in order to crack the rotation at CB to start the season. Keenan Lewis has been impressive in camp and in the preseason play he has seen, but he went down with a minor knee injury early in the Atlanta game. The Steelers are likely to go into the season with the same top 6 DB’s as in 2010 – Taylor and McFadden at starting CB, Polamalu and Clark at S, Gay as the nickel back and Mundy as the 6th DB. Lewis will either displace McFadden as the starter or be the 4th DB, as the Steelers like Gay in the slot.

Looking at all of this in its entirety, the truth is probably (as usual) somewhere in the middle. The Steelers’ pass defense is definitely more vulnerable than their run defense, and elite QB’s will likely continue to have success against the Steelers. There are, however, only a few QB’s good enough to consistently exploit the Steelers’ secondary and, as discussed above, average and merely good QB’s don’t generally get it done.

hawaiiansteel
08-31-2011, 11:54 PM
I've got an easy answer for this question:

yes, it definitely is and is going to be in many games this season.

Slapstick
09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I have an easier answer:

No.

flippy
09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
How much pressure did we get on Brees, Brady, and Rogers?

That's the key to this answer.

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Not a problem at all... but it's frustrating to watch at times. If the O goes 3 and out it really makes the pass D look bad.

214 ypg allowed - 12th in the NFL
15 pass TD allowed – 3rd
6.3 ypa allowed - 1st
73.1 OPP QB rating – 2nd

How can anyone look at those stats and say our pass D is a problem?

How dare the other team make plays and occasionally beat us?

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
How much pressure did we get on Brees, Brady, and Rogers?

That's the key to this answer.

Brees.. adequate pressure, sack fumble, one INT I believe and Jimmy Hate was flagged.

Brady... ZERO!!!

Rogers... adequate pressure, Rogers is a mobile QB, made a few clutch passes but was still sacked and we got the ball back with enough time to score.

Djfan
09-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Rogers... adequate pressure, Rogers is a mobile QB, made a few clutch passes but was still sacked and we got the ball back with enough time to score.

Even with the turn over show we put on we were well in that game. Amazing really.

Sucks, actually.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I have an easier answer:

No.

I hope you're right...

now that every team in the NFL knows how to attack us by spreading us out I guess we'll soon see if our pass defense can play better than they did in the Super Bowl.

Oviedo
09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I have an easier answer:

No.

I hope you're right...

now that every team in the NFL knows how to attack us by spreading us out I guess we'll soon see if our pass defense can play better than they did in the Super Bowl.

I'm very afraid of what we will see :shock:

Slapstick
09-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Matt Ryan may not be on of the top five QBs, but I think that he's in the top ten...I think he's a better QB than Joe Flacco, for example...

He threw the ball 40+ times in one half of football...the Falcons were still losing 24-16 at the half...

Could the Steelers have prevented more 3rd down conversions? Sure...

But, a 52% completion rate, 5.2 Yards per Attempt and a 1 to 1 TD/INT ratio isn't going to beat the Steelers...

Back in 2003, Steve McNair went 15 of 16 for 161 yards against the Steelers D with 3 TDs...that is a much more effective performance than what Ryan could muster...

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Matt Ryan may not be on of the top five QBs, but I think that he's in the top ten...I think he's a better QB than Joe Flacco, for example...

He threw the ball 40+ times in one half of football...the Falcons were still losing 24-16 at the half...

giving up 16 points in one half extrapolates out to 32 points a game, not good.

and in our first pre-season game we went up against Rex Grossman, who probably ranks in the bottom ten of all NFL starting QBs.

his stats: 19/26 for 207 yards with 1 TD, no Ints and a 109.0 passer rating.

also not good...

Slapstick
09-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Again, that was the first preseason game...

The third preseason game is the dress rehearsal where all the game planning takes place...if any preseason game can be indicative of what the regular season holds, it is the third...

The first preseason game isn't any more relevant than the last...

Also, the 24 points that the Steelers scored extrapolates to 48 points...

Extrapolating the Falcons' score also means that Matt Ryan would have thrown more than 80 passes in that game, a number which far exceeds the record of 70 set by Drew Bledsoe back in 1994...Bledsoe's game was an OT game...

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 03:34 PM

true, but this thread is not asking about our offense but rather whether our pass defense is a problem or not.

I can appreciate the points you make but on the biggest stage, in the biggest game of the year against the Packers in the Super Bowl our pass defense was absolutely terrible. if it weren't for the numerous drops by the Packers' receivers Aaron Rodgers' stats would have been much better than the 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions he put up against us.

after that game I surely thought that Tomlin had clearly seen enough and that an upgrade over BMac and/or Willie Gay would be brought in from the outside. instead, we are going into this upcoming season with essentially the same DBs we had last year.

Albert Einstein's definition of insanity:

"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Oviedo
09-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Again, that was the first preseason game...

The third preseason game is the dress rehearsal where all the game planning takes place...if any preseason game can be indicative of what the regular season holds, it is the third...

The first preseason game isn't any more relevant than the last...

Extrapolating the Falcons' score also means that Matt Ryan would have thrown more than 80 passes in that game, a number which far exceeds the record of 70 set by Drew Bledsoe back in 1994...Bledsoe's game was an OT game...

Which I guess means the offense is going to have to carry the defense.

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM

giving up 16 points in one half extrapolates out to 32 points a game, not good.

and in our first pre-season game we went up against Rex Grossman, who probably ranks in the bottom ten of all NFL starting QBs.

his stats: 19/26 for 207 yards with 1 TD, no Ints and a 109.0 passer rating.

also not good...

We were also gouged by Washington on the ground in that game. It was obvious early on that we didn't put together any kind of game plan. Maybe Washington is better this year but I wouldn't put too much stock into any preseason game.

feltdizz
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
I have an easier answer:

No.

I hope you're right...

They know... but can they execute it? Only 2 or 3 teams can spread us out, protect the QB, convert in the redzone and keep us off the field on offense.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I have an easier answer:

No.

I hope you're right...

They know... but can they execute it? Only 2 or 3 teams can spread us out, protect the QB, convert in the redzone and keep us off the field on offense.

I guess we better hope then that we don't ever meet those 2 or 3 teams in the playoffs, huh?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 05:07 PM
what's the alternative?

building a team designed to beat only elite QB's?

this is salary cap football, every team will have weaknesses.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
what's the alternative?

I thought we could have upgraded the #2 and/or #3 CB positions by signing someone like Carlos Rogers who signed a one-year contract with the 49ers for a reported $4 million.

we could have gotten that $ by cutting such players as Arnaz Battle and Larry Foote or by restructuring another contract or two.

instead, I am disappointed to see that we are going into this season once again with what I believe to be one of the worst #2 and #3 CB combinations in the league...

BURGH86STEEL
09-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I have an easier answer:

No.

I hope you're right...

Every team in the NFL knew how the attack the Steelers defense since Cowher was the coach. It's one thing to know how to attack a defense, it's another issue when teams need to execute their plans. There were times the players up front failed to do their jobs in the Superbowl. It wasn't just about the secondary.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Every team in the NFL knew how the attack the Steelers defense since Cowher was the coach. It's one thing to know how to attack a defense, it's another issue when teams need to execute their plans. There were times the players up front failed to do their jobs in the Superbowl. It wasn't just about the secondary.

pass defense includes the players up front pressuring the QB, which although we registered 3 sacks our pass rush gave Aaron Rodgers too much time to throw on many other occasions.

the name of this thread is: "The Steelers’ pass defense: a problem or not?"

personally, I think it is.

BURGH86STEEL
09-01-2011, 07:59 PM

pass defense includes the players up front pressuring the QB, which although we registered 3 sacks our pass rush gave Aaron Rodgers too much time to throw on many other occasions.

the name of this thread is: "The Steelers’ pass defense: a problem or not?"

personally, I think it is.

If the Steelers pass defense can manage to give up 15 tds or less, it will be a pretty good pass defensive season.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 08:57 PM
If the Steelers pass defense can manage to give up 15 tds or less, it will be a pretty good pass defensive season.

yes, that is a good regular season performance.

however, we need to improve on the 6 passing TDs that we allowed in our 3 post-season games last year.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why some of you guys just can't admit that we lost to a good football team with a hot QB.

and the "if the packer receivers could catch" card is BS.

you could just as easily say- "if we dont give up a pick 6" or "if mendenhall doesn,t fumble" card. The game is the game.

I'm really starting to believe the secondary is going to have a good year. Too many "experts" think they are the worst in the league, which they are clearly not.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm really starting to believe the secondary is going to have a good year. Too many "experts" think they are the worst in the league, which they are clearly not.

you could be right or you could be wrong, you are no more an "expert" than the rest of us.

I don't recall any posters ever saying that the Steelers have the worst pass defense in the league. I simply replied to the question that this thread posed and stated my opinion that I believe our pass defense is a problem.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
you said we have one of the worst #2 and #3 CB combo in the league which is just not true.

do you really know the #2 and #3 CB talent in the league that well?

I wouldn't trade our top 3 CB's for the rats top 3, for example.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 09:45 PM
you said we have one of the worst #2 and #3 CB combo in the league which is just not true.

do you really know the #2 and #3 CB talent in the league that well?

I wouldn't trade our top 3 CB's for the rats top 3, for example.

is saying that we have one of the worst #2 and #3 CB combinations in the league the same as saying that the Steelers have the worst pass defense in the league?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 09:47 PM
shouldn't that go hand in hand?

you can't have it both ways.

Slapstick
09-01-2011, 09:48 PM
true, but this thread is not asking about our offense but rather whether our pass defense is a problem or not.

I can appreciate the points you make but on the biggest stage, in the biggest game of the year against the Packers in the Super Bowl our pass defense was absolutely terrible. if it weren't for the numerous drops by the Packers' receivers Aaron Rodgers' stats would have been much better than the 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions he put up against us.

after that game I surely thought that Tomlin had clearly seen enough and that an upgrade over BMac and/or Willie Gay would be brought in from the outside. instead, we are going into this upcoming season with essentially the same DBs we had last year.

Albert Einstein's definition of insanity:

"doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

To reinforce your point, we're talking about the defense and not Atlanta's offense...to extrapolate so that they produce 32 points on 80+ pass attempts is a big stretch...

Although that SB was on a big stage, it was only one game...I choose to judge the pass defense on an entire body of work over the course of the season and postseason rather than let my emotional state over the SB loss dominate my thinking...rather than the pass defense being poor, I think that the defense overall did not play a great game...the fact that there was little pass rush was also a contributing factor in the loss...

And, again, the Steelers offense outscored the Packers offense in that game...the decisive points were a defensive TD that no pass defense in the NFL could have prevented...

With all that said, I would certainly rather that the Steelers go with younger DBs like Lewis, Butler and Brown rather than keep Gay or even McFadden, if it came down to it...

I don't think that the scheme is the problem...I think that the problem, specifically in that SB, was that the DBs (including Troy) did not play well...I'm prepared for the Steelers to take their chances with the younger players and trust that Lake can help our young players to improve as Kugler did last year with the offensive line...or what Scottie Montgomery did with the young $ WR crew...Montgomery was also a new addition to the coaching staff last year, but his performance is overlooked because of the tremendous scrutiny directed at the O-Line...

Slapstick
09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I actually think that the scheme covers up a lot of the deficiencies that the CBs have...

I don't think that Carlos Rogers would have been a tremendous upgrade over a Keenan Lewis, for example...I think that the 49ers may find the same thing...

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 10:00 PM
shouldn't that go hand in hand?

you can't have it both ways.

what?

so you're saying that me stating my opinion of us having one of the worst #2 and #3 CB combinations in the NFL is the same as saying that I said the Steelers have the worst pass defense in the league?

really?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 10:18 PM
i don't know what you are trying to say, to be honest. you are not making alot of sense.

on one hand you say we have the worst #2 and #3 CB combo in the league and in the next sentence you say they aren't among the worst in the league at stopping the pass. and then you go on to mention post season numbers, which is a small sample size and it means you're playing the best teams in the league.

will you kindly name the other top #2 and #3 combos that are far superior to the ones we have?

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
on one hand you say we have the worst #2 and #3 CB combo in the league and in the next sentence you say they aren't among the worst in the league at stopping the pass.

LeBeau's defensive scheme, the fact that Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu also roam the secondary and the greatness of our front seven all help to make up for the weaknesses in coverage of BMac and Willie Gay.

why don't you show me where I said we have the NFL's worst pass defense? me saying BMac and Willie Gay are weak links is quite different.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 10:46 PM
so are they weak links or the worst in the league? like i said, you want it both ways.

name these other teams that have outstanding CB's at the #2 and #3 positions. i will wait.

face it, our pass defense is not as bad as alot of folks on this board make it out to be. it amuses me how you guys criticize lebeau in one breath and then say the scheme protects the weaknesses of our terrible corners.

don't you see how that is a contradictory statement?

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 10:46 PM

it's not BS.

the point is their receivers were open all game long, in the future we can't expect professional receivers to drop passes when they are wide open in order to get our defense off the field.

case in point:

I coach a soccer team and last week we won 1-0. we shut the other team out, but only because they missed several close-in point blank shots.

even though we allowed no goals, does our defense have a problem? yes we do, because better teams won't always miss those shots and we must correct the problem of allowing other teams' players to be open in front of our goal.

and if the Steelers allow opposing WRs to continue to be open, that is a problem that is going to cost us some games.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
are you really comparing a 10 year olds soccer game to the pinnacle of professional football???

take a break dude.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-01-2011, 10:50 PM

it's not BS.

the point is their receivers were open all game long, in the future we can't expect professional receivers to drop passes when they are wide open in order to get our defense off the field.

case in point:

I coach a soccer team and last week we won 1-0. we shut the other team out, but only because they missed several close-in point blank shots.

even though we allowed no goals, does our defense have a problem? yes we do, because better teams won't always miss those shots and we must correct the problem of allowing other teams' players to be open in front of our goal.

and if the Steelers allow opposing WRs to continue to be open, that is a problem that is going to cost us some games.

:Clap :Clap Well put.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
it amuses me how you guys criticize lebeau in one breath and then say the scheme protects the weaknesses of our terrible corners.

don't you see how that is a contradictory statement?

can you show me where I have criticized LeBeau?

I happen to think LeBeau is a defensive genius who is going to be sorely missed once he retires...maybe only then will he be appreciated as much as he should be.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 11:05 PM
all i have to do is read your posts in this thread. nothing about them scream genius.

what about the pro-bowlers everybody else has at #2 and #3?

still waiting.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:10 PM
still waiting.

and I'm waiting for you to show me where I have criticized LeBeau, I'm pretty sure you have me confused with another poster.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
so you are complimenting lebeau when you charge him with fielding the worst #2 and #3 CB's in the entire league?

wow.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM
so you are complimenting lebeau when you charge him with fielding the worst #2 and #3 CB's in the entire league?

wow.

LeBeau coaches the defensive players, he doesn't draft them.

and I didn't say the worst, I said one of the worst. why do you always find yourself twisting other people's words when you are trying to make a point?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
so now the pass defense is colberts fault?

i'm dizzy.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
i'm dizzy.

yes, it does seem like that.

finally something we can agree on.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
i'm not the one talking in circles.

how bout that list of #2 and #3 corners that are vastly superior to ours?

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 11:57 PM

it's not BS.

case in point:

:Clap :Clap Well put.

thank you, I'm glad I'm able to make sense to somebody... :Cheers