PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about David Johnson?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-30-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm a pretty simplistic guy, and I can't forget the whiffed block against Clay Mathews to ruin our Superbowl.

So I see he was featured on the 1st drive against the Falcons, two passing plays. Do people think he's good and worthy of a fair amount of playing time?

BradshawsHairdresser
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM
I think BA loves him, so he probably is penciled in as the #2 TE and the top FB.

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm a pretty simplistic guy, and I can't forget the whiffed block against Clay Mathews to ruin our Superbowl.

I'm like you, every time David Johnson's name is brought up I can't help but think of his whiff against Clay Matthews which caused Mendy's fumble and completely changed the momentum in the Super Bowl.

nice block #85... :roll:

http://media.nj.com/super_bowl_blog/photo/9258903-large.jpg

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Hate him. Not good at either blocking or catching. If Heath is hurt, we are screwed.

sentinel33
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
We can do-NO-must do better than David Johnson.

That is all.

fezziwig
08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm glad you guys started this post and stated your true feelings because I always hate being negative. I haven't seen yet why this guy made the team. Do the coaches see the diamond in the rough because all I have seen is the rough so far.
He is slow in motion, slow in his thoughts as the game or plays are happening.
I know on another board some poster is all in his corner and said he had a nice game last week ( a game i did not see yet ) and I agreed with the guy if Johnson has made an improvement we should keep him but, now that I think about it he needs to make a 180 to improve.

Shoe
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Please don't blame the fumble on Johnson. Bottom line: You GOT to hold on to the ball. I don't care if 10 guys missed their block there--HOLD ON TO THE BALL. Don't justify Mr. Wide Apart Eyes fumbling away the momentum in that game!

SteelCrazy
08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
My wife said after those 2 catches, "Who is that? He's goooooooood!" I replied, " He's so good he helped Green Bay win the Super Bowl!"

Mendy didn't hardly fumble any up to that point and Popeye would have fumbled that ball after Johnson's whiff.

Steelers>NFL
08-31-2011, 08:00 AM

I'm like you, every time David Johnson's name is brought up I can't help but think of his whiff against Clay Matthews which caused Mendy's fumble and completely changed the momentum in the Super Bowl.

Give credit where due, Clay Matthews is an excellent football player. I'd rather say that Matthews BEAT his man, easily.

Oviedo
08-31-2011, 08:18 AM
We can do-NO-must do better than David Johnson.

That is all.

Dear Mr. Colbert,

Check the waiver wire this weekend....please. We desperately need a real #2 TE.

Thank you!!!!

P.S. Who'd have thought that Matt Spaeth may turn out to be our biggest loss leaving the biggest hole among our reserves?

BURGH86STEEL
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM

Give credit where due, Clay Matthews is an excellent football player. I'd rather say that Matthews BEAT his man, easily.

Nah, other guys are not allowed to make plays. All players on the Steelers make mistakes. Fans pick and choose which players they choose to hammer. It's easier to pick on the back up players because they have less opportunities to make plays. I've seen Heath miss his share of blocks. Doesn't make him a lesser player. Just means he loss that battle.

Johnson made two nice plays vs the Falcons. That shows he has the potential to make plays. Appears he is willing to play FB and can play TE. That position flexibility can only help the Steelers. Until the Steelers can find an all pro player that is willing to sit as a back up, they will have to accept what Johnson brings to the table. I think the reality is that the Steelers and all teams need role players like Johnson. He knows the offense and his role within the offense.

pittpete
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Arent you supposed to catch the ball when you are wide open?

Bottom line is his blocking is suspect at best....

flippy
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
I don't think he should ever see the field over our #3 WR.

feltdizz
08-31-2011, 09:06 AM

Nah, other guys are not allowed to make plays. All players on the Steelers make mistakes. Fans pick and choose which players they choose to hammer. It's easier to pick on the back up players because they have less opportunities to make plays. I've seen Heath miss his share of blocks. Doesn't make him a lesser player. Just means he loss that battle.

Johnson made two nice plays vs the Falcons. That shows he has the potential to make plays. Appears he is willing to play FB and can play TE. That position flexibility can only help the Steelers. Until the Steelers can find an all pro player that is willing to sit as a back up, they will have to accept what Johnson brings to the table. I think the reality is that the Steelers and all teams need role players like Johnson. He knows the offense and his role within the offense.

:Agree

Mendenhall was blasted on that play...

I'm mad he fumble but I'm also realistic about the timing of the hit. Clay was in the backfield as soon as the ball was snapped.

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM

Limas Sweed is still pondering the answer to that age-old question... :wink:

phillyesq
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Johnson missed his block and/or was beaten by the Clay Matthews, but I don't think that makes him a total waste. If the Steelers need to use him to start, they're going to be in trouble, but he is an adequate #3 TE / part time FB.

Gilmore seems to have shown very little so far, and I would like to see the Steelers look at the wire for another reserve TE. Saunders has size and potential, but after a year off and with no real offseason, I'm not really expecting significant contributions from him this year.

Instead of using two TEs, it would be nice to see the Steelers use a backup offensive lineman in a jumbo formation on occassion. The extra offensive lineman could be an asset either in pass protection or running the ball, and wouldn't present much less of a receiving threat than David Johnson.

Chadman
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm ok with Johnson playing- can't remember him being directly responsible for many 'bad' plays outside of 'the fumble' (but as has previously been noted, it was a good play by a very, very good player against him).

Here's my 'upside' of Johnson being #2- I think that would mean Saunders could be #3. I like Saunders. I like what he can potentially bring to the team.

For mine- Miller, Johnson, Saunders is better than Miller, Speath, Johnson.

hawaiiansteel
08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm ok with Johnson playing- can't remember him being directly responsible for many 'bad' plays outside of 'the fumble' (but as has previously been noted, it was a good play by a very, very good player against him).

Here's my 'upside' of Johnson being #2- I think that would mean Saunders could be #3. I like Saunders. I like what he can potentially bring to the team.

Saunders most likely won't make the team, he's reportedly been struggling with his blocking and probably needs a year on the practice squad to get stronger and regain his skills.

Oviedo
08-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Saunders most likely won't make the team, he's reportedly been struggling with his blocking and probably needs a year on the practice squad to get stronger and regain his skills.

:Agree I don't see Saunders making this team. I think the front office will be looking at the waiver wire real hard this weekend to find a decent veteran to back up Heath. Remeber, Johnson is the only one we have to play the hybrid FB/H-back position (and he does that badly). He can't be both the second TE and the FB. It will limit our formations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade happen to get a good TE. The situation at TE has to be the biggest failure of the preseason. Expect a TE to be drafted next year.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-31-2011, 02:41 PM
cant stand the guy.

much rather go 3 wides with out talent and keep him off the field.

Oviedo
08-31-2011, 03:46 PM
cant stand the guy.

Wow!!!! We actually agree on something. Truly frightening. :stirpot

fordfixer
08-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't

BradshawsHairdresser
08-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm not especially fond of Johnson, but he's our new Spaeth...I'm telling you, BA is happy with him so get used to seeing him in the lineup for awhile.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
cant stand the guy.

Wow!!!! We actually agree on something. Truly frightening. :stirpot

i also agree we should watch the cuts. saunders has a long way to go from what i have seen and the other guy is a scrub.

:Cheers

ikestops85
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Bottom line is his blocking is suspect at best....

I hate to tell you guys this but Johnson made the team because of his blocking. He is considered a very good blocker but he has very bad hands. That's why he is normally wide open because other teams don't believe he can catch.

I don't mind Johnson as the #2 because we don't utilize our #2 in the passing game anyway. I would like to see them keep Saunders because I think he could be our big pass catching TE.