PDA

View Full Version : Doug Legursky is Steelers' new starter at RG

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Legursky may be right man for the job

August 29th, 2011

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Doug-Legursky.jpg

Have the Steelers made a lineup change as quietly as they did in promoting Kevin Colbert from director of football operations to general manager?

On the team’s updated depth chart, Doug Legursky, not Tony Hills, is the first-team right guard.

Hills had been listed as No. 1 there, and he started at right guard in the Steelers’ 34-16 win against the Atlanta Falcons last Saturday.

He was cryptic when asked if anything had been resolved vis a vis the competition at right guard.

“The coaches, I believe, they made their decision and we’ll find out the season opener and see what happens,” Hills said before practice on Monday.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said last week that Hills was getting the starting nod against the Falcons because of merit and one another reason: the coaches hadn’t seen enough of him at right guard the previous week due to injuries to left tackles Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

The Steelers may have ultimately decided that Legursky, a favorite of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, is their most reliable option at right guard.

Not that Hills, one of the bright spots of preseason practice, is conceding anything at the one unsettled position along the offensive line.

“I definitely want to be that guy, there’s no ifs ands or buts about it,” Hills said. “The opener of the year, you guys will know what’s going on.”

Maybe we already do.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... r-the-job/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/29/legursky-may-be-right-man-for-the-job/)

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 04:01 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Two sources confirm that Doug Legursky will start the season as the #Steelers starting right guard.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXKb6Lus (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1WXKb6Lus)

flippy
08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I like it. I'm a big Legursky fan and think he'll be great.

steelblood
08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Two sources confirm that Doug Legursky will start the season as the #Steelers starting right guard.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXKb6Lus (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1WXKb6Lus)

Legursky is a great kid and he plays hard, but I'm a little disappointed that no one else stepped up.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
If Scott-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon is your starting 5, which other two OL get helmets on gameday? Hills and Essex (since they both have G/T flexibility)? I'd imagine that Gilbert gets the rookie redshirt. Perhaps Foster goes from being a starter to a gameday inactive more often than not?

phillyesq
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
If Scott-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon is your starting 5, which other two OL get helmets on gameday? Hills and Essex (since they both have G/T flexibility)? I'd imagine that Gilbert gets the rookie redshirt. Perhaps Foster goes from being a starter to a gameday inactive more often than not?

The Steelers have a bunch of options, but they're all kind of mediocre. I think that Gilbert is probably the best backup tackle option, but Essex and Hills offer more flexibility. Foster is less bad than Essex at OG, but Essex is probably the lesser of two evils at OT.

It will be interesting to see what they do at the goalline. Would they bring in Essex, Foster or whoever at RG and continue to use Legursky as a FB? Or will they abandon using a big goalline FB?

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart

By Scott Brown and Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 30, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-30/FBNlegursky-b.jpg
Doug Legursky

The Steelers may have quietly settled on a starter at right guard.

Doug Legursky is listed as No. 1 at right guard on the Steelers' updated depth chart, a week after Tony Hills held the spot.

A change to the depth chart is not uncommon, but the one at right guard came after Hills had said he thought the coaches have already decided on a starter at the position.

"You'll have to wait and see," he said before practice yesterday.

Hills has started the past two games at right guard. Coach Mike Tomlin said he started against the Falcons last Saturday so coaches could get more of a look at him at the position. Hills played sparingly at right guard in an Aug. 18 game against Philadelphia because of injuries to left tackles Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

Legursky had been listed as second-team center. Trai Essex, who re-signed with the Steelers listed week, is now listed as second-team, behind Maurkice Pouncey.

BACKUP QB BATTLE

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger mostly watched practice Monday, and for good reason.

Tomlin has to decide who is Roethlisberger's primary backup, with Byron Leftwich sidelined indefinitely after breaking his upper left arm Saturday night. Batch and Dixon split snaps yesterday, but Tomlin said nothing should be read into the fact that Batch ran the first-team offense.

Tomlin said the two will battle for the No. 2 job this week. A "final determination," he said, will be made after the Steelers play their final preseason game Thursday night against the host Carolina Panthers.

Leftwich underwent surgery yesterday, and Tomlin said the Steelers are going to "let it calm down for a couple of days before we get to a determination" on the veteran's status.

If the Steelers place Leftwich on injured reserve, his season is over.

The Steelers could "waive/injure" Leftwich, and if he clears waivers his rights would still belong to them. Doing this would allow Leftwich to return at some point this season if he is healthy enough to do so.

POUNCEY'S ANKLE WOES

Pouncey didn't practice yesterday after hurting his left ankle in the Steelers' 34-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons. The Pro Bowl center said the injury isn't serious, though he conceded that it is a lingering one.

Pouncey has been hindered by the same ankle he sprained last January, an injury that caused him to miss the Super Bowl. Pouncey said he has been dealing with calcium build-up in his ankle.

"Once it breaks down, it gets sore," he said, "but it's all right, not that bad. I keep going through the same process, but hopefully I'll get through it soon."

Tomlin said a decision on whether Pouncey will play Thursday has not been made. In addition to Pouncey, wide receivers Hines Ward (quad) and Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), strong safety Troy Polamalu (quad) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (elbow) didn't practice yesterday.

MCFADDEN EAGER TO RETURN

Cornerback Bryant McFadden, sidelined for most of the preseason with what he said is a torn hamstring, practiced yesterday. The key as to whether McFadden plays against the Panthers is how he feels today.

"And also Wednesday," McFadden said. "I've got to be smart."

It has been a preseason of stops and starts for McFadden. with more of the latter for the eighth-year veteran. He is trying to work his way back from the first serious hamstring injury of his career, and the 6-foot, 190-pounder is trying to balance pushing himself without overdoing it.

McFadden said he wants to play Thursday so he can work on his game conditioning.

COLBERT'S NEW TITLE

The Steelers promoted Kevin Colbert to general manager, making the Pittsburgh native the first to hold that title in Steelers history.

Colbert, a North Catholic graduate, has held the title of director of football operations since he was hired in 2000.

There was no announcement made by the team. The change in titles was listed in the media guide, which is only available digitally until the start of the season because of the NFL lockout.

Colbert first joined the Steelers in 2000 after spending 10 years as the Detroit Lions' pro scouting director.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WXXyQn1X (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754091.html#ixzz1WXXyQn1X)

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Hills and Essex make the most sense.

Steelerphile
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't believe this has been resolved and that Legursky has been awarded the starting role at RG. I think Hills did a pretty decent job there and that he has overall had a good preseason. Tomlin is being fair and open-minded to the end and I think that is part of what makes him a good coach.

I think the media and observers tend to make too much of these type of events. Legursky has been playing, and I wouldn't say he has stood out more so than Hills. I think his smallish size and the fact that he is the main backup at center, are marks against him starting at guard. If Legursky really plays outstandingly,this Thursday, and I think the odds are against that, he could get the job. But I just think Tomlin wants to keep Hills and everyone edgy and not complacent.

Discipline of Steel
08-30-2011, 06:42 PM
You know what, I tend to agree. Not unless its announced by the Steelers will i believe that all is said and done at RG. This article is a reporters interpretation of the depth chart.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-30-2011, 07:11 PM
not a fan of this move. Legursky couldn't hold the job last year.

just put hills in there and see how he performs.

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
not a fan of this move. Legursky couldn't hold the job last year.

just put hills in there and see how he performs.

Obviously others have failed to hold this job even through training camp.

I think Legursky is just next in line, but I think on Sept 11th it will be Hills.

Shoe
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
No offense to Hills... and I hope he proves me wrong obviously... But I think this is more an indictment of our current prospects (at Guard) than it is Hills seizing the job or anything. Consider that they are sticking a guy who's never played Guard, who has done nothing in his career and all of a sudden we're supposed to believe the light went on. Sorry I don't buy it.

+1 same issue with Legursky

fordfixer
08-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 54290.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754290.html)

Doug Legursky started 36 games at Marshall, where he registered 235 knockdowns and 23 touchdown-resulting blocks while allowing only four sacks. That placed him at the top of the list for both the Rimington Award and Outland Trophy.

Legursky was sure to be selected somewhere during the 2008 NFL Draft — until his Pro Day rolled around.

Legursky was listed at 6-foot-3 in college. When he was measured at his Pro Day, he came in two inches shorter.

Legursky went from a sure-fire draft choice to an undrafted rookie free-agent selection of the Steelers, with little chance of making the 53-man roster and an even harder time making an impression on his coach.

"A couple years ago, I admit that he wasn't much to look at," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Now, Legursky is Tomlin's starting right guard.

"Even out of high school and going into college and into the league, (my height) has been a part of my career," Legursky said. "It is going to continue my entire life, so I am not going to worry about it now."

With the offensive lines around the league getting bigger — especially in the interior — the Steelers are comfortable with employing the shortest starting guard in the NFL.

Legursky was moved to the top of the depth chart Monday and will start tomorrow in the Steelers' final preseason game against Carolina.

Barring injury or unforeseen misfortune, Legrusky will start the season opener at Baltimore.

"Anytime you get the opportunity to play in this league, you have to take advantage of it," Legursky said. "I am going to go out there and show what I can do and hopefully help this team get some wins."

Even though Tomlin has yet to make it official, players in the locker room are comfortable with Legursky, who won the four-way competition by beating out incumbent Ramon Foster, Tony Hills and Chris Scott.

"I trust (Legursky) more than anybody else on the field," veteran right tackle Willie Colon said. "I know he is going to be out there and do a good job."

Foster started 11 games last year including the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but is sure Legursky will be the starter when the season opens.

"He is definitely an NFL-caliber starter," Foster said. "It is one of those things that you have to go out and continue to work every day to get that back."

The Steelers have been believers in Legursky since he filled in at numerous positions a year ago and actually started four games for the injured Trai Essex at right guard early in the season.

But what really opened the Steelers' eyes was the performance he had in Super Bowl XLV, when he was forced to fill in for the injured Maurkice Pouncey at center and played well enough to neutralize mammoth Green Bay nose tackle B.J. Raji.

"Going into the offseason I know I was going to fight for a starting position," Legursky said. "It is kind of nice of having everybody thinking you are not going to make it. I am not going to go around and try to convince people. I am just going to play the way I play and let my play speak for itself."

Tomlin isn't concerned with Legursky's small frame.

"I don't get into the cookie-cutter mentality as regards to players," Tomlin said "He is consistently competitive. He has good technique and built in leverage."

Read more: Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WZqkOTBG (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754290.html#ixzz1WZqkOTBG)

Shoe
08-31-2011, 12:42 AM
I LOVE the NFL, but one evolution that I hate is the fact that O-lineman has gone almost exclusively to a 'who's the biggest' contest. Compared to 30 years ago, when many teams (like the Steelers) went with smaller, athletic linemen. It just made things more interesting, allowed for diverse talents to compete (smaller, faster guy vs. big mauler). Now, sadly--it's all about being a big mauler it seems.

hawaiiansteel
08-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Legursky to start Steelers' preseason finale, season opener at right guard

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201012/dianasteelers122310_05_160.jpg

Steelers guard Doug Legursky spikes the ball after a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown last season against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

In what has a become revolving door at the position for the second year in a row, Doug Legursky will start at right guard in Thursday night's preseason finale in Carolina and, barring injury, will also open the regular season as the starter against the Baltimore Ravens.

Converted tackle Tony Hills started the previous two preseason games at right guard and looked as though he was in line to be the starter. But, after last week's game against the Atlanta Falcons, it was determined he lacked the experience and total understanding of the position.

Legursky, who is also the backup center, started four games at right guard last season after Trai Essex began the season as the starter. Essex returned from injury and started three more games, but he was eventually replaced by Ramon Foster for the rest of the season.

Curiously, Foster has not started any of the preseason games at right guard and is not really considered in the mix.

Legursky (6-1, 315) is the team's smallest offensive lineman, but the coaches think he understands the offense and reads defenses better than any of his linemates, even Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243/11 ... z1We5l4uU9 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243/1171257-100.stm#ixzz1We5l4uU9)

flippy
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
We've got an undersized, undrafted LB that doesn't fit the mold of his position and does just fine for himself.

I see Legursky as a similar story. And his size, leverage might just be a huge asset against some of the big interior linemen in the league. Out of all the guys that have had a shot at the position, I don't think any have the power/quickness that Bronko brings to the table.

If we just give this guy a fair shot and a chance, I think he's gonna turn out real good in time.

He handled Raji pretty well in the SuperBowl and that's the kind of power we need that the other candidates just didn't offer.

Don't get me wrong, Legursky has some things he needs to work on, but he showed flashes of really good play next to Adams last year and I think he and Colon could really solidify the right side of the line once they have a chance to work together for an extended period.

Rudy...Rudy....Rudy.....

MaxAMillion
08-31-2011, 10:56 PM
How this organization can continue to pay a QB $100 million while putting him behind a $10 OL is beyond me. Ben has survived a number of hits because of his age, but I can promise that this won't continue as he gets older. The hits (and concussions) will mount.

This OL will get mauled by the Ravens just like last year. The Steelers better hope that Flacco will continue to cough up games, because they won't be able to count on the offense being consistent.

pfelix73
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Congrats to #64 for getting the nod at RG. It's been long overdue.

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I think this OL is coming along just fine and has been for some time. It looks like they drafted their heir apparent LT in Gilbert this year too. Time will tell, but I really like the flexibility the team has put together along the OL.

#7 is always gonna be in situations where he will take more sacks than your avg. NFL QB. That's just the way he plays, and it is reality. That's fine w/ me. #7 has more SB rings than your avg. QB has too...

:tt1

steeler_george
09-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Legursky to start Steelers' preseason finale, season opener at right guard

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201012/dianasteelers122310_05_160.jpg

Steelers guard Doug Legursky spikes the ball after a Rashard Mendenhall touchdown last season against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

In what has a become revolving door at the position for the second year in a row, Doug Legursky will start at right guard in Thursday night's preseason finale in Carolina and, barring injury, will also open the regular season as the starter against the Baltimore Ravens.

Converted tackle Tony Hills started the previous two preseason games at right guard and looked as though he was in line to be the starter. But, after last week's game against the Atlanta Falcons, it was determined he lacked the experience and total understanding of the position.

Legursky, who is also the backup center, started four games at right guard last season after Trai Essex began the season as the starter. Essex returned from injury and started three more games, but he was eventually replaced by Ramon Foster for the rest of the season.

Curiously, Foster has not started any of the preseason games at right guard and is not really considered in the mix.

Legursky (6-1, 315) is the team's smallest offensive lineman, but the coaches think he understands the offense and reads defenses better than any of his linemates, even Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243/11 ... z1We5l4uU9 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11243/1171257-100.stm#ixzz1We5l4uU9)

I like how Tomlin and Kug, have every man compete. But I kind of feel bad for Hills, after all we all thought, including himself, that he finally "got it".

I kind of wonder, how Gilbert did get a shot at RG.

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Steelers Apparently Going With Doug Legursky At RG

Posted on September 1, 2011 by JJ

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Doug Legursky will be the Steelers starting right guard when the season begins next week. After trying Chris Scott for a week and Tony Hills for two, the Steelers have decided to go with the safer choice.

Legursky’s short arms and small size (by offensive linemen’s standards) means that he sometimes struggles when he is lined up head-on on a big defensive tackle. Too often he can’t get his hands on his target before the DT gets his hands on Legursky, and that makes it a little too easy for Legursky to be shed. But on the other hand, he does do an excellent job of getting out to block linebackers on running plays, is good at pulling to lead the counter trey.

So why did the Steelers choose Legursky? From watching the line in the first three preseason games (plus all of last year), it appears to me that they’ve chosen the safest pick. I want to throw in my standard disclaimer here. I’m not an o-line coach, so if you want to take my observations with a grain of salt, feel free. But here’s what I’ve seen:

Tony Hills could end up being a better guard than Legursky eventually — he has longer arms, more size and what appears to be equally nimble feet. But Hills doesn’t execute his assignments as consistently as Legursky (after all, he’s been a guard for just a couple of weeks). And while Legursky’s kryptonite is short arms, Hills’ problem is his height. Hills has long legs, which has proven to be a detriment as a guard. Watch Hills on a goal line play, and you can pretty much expect that his man will get lower than he does, which means Hills gets driven backwards. Watch Hills pull and you’ll see it’s tough for him to get low enough to drive his man out of the hole, he is better off just screening his man and trying to stay out of the way.

Ramon Foster started at times last year, but he doesn’t really seem to have been a significant factor in the competition this August. If Legursky’s problem is getting shed at the line, and Hills plays too high, Foster is simply too slow. Play after play Foster was driven into the backfield because his man is quicker off the snap. On a running play, the first thing you want to see is whether the battle is being conducted on the defensive or offensive side of the line of scrimmage. In the case of Foster, he’s playing too often in the offensive backfield. Foster may be the strongest of the guard candidates, but he doesn’t pull well and struggles to effectively block linebackers.

So what do the Steelers get in Legursky? It probably helps their pass blocking because he’s good at recognizing blitzes and has the mobility to molly block (pull outside to help pick out edge rushers). In the run game, Legursky may give up the tackle for a loss every now and then because of his trouble sticking his blocks, but he also will provide chances for some longer runs because of his ability to effectively block linebackers.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/s ... #more-6147 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/steelers-apparently-doug-legursky-guard/#more-6147)

ikestops85
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
It has been said many times that Legursky is the smartest lineman we have on the team. I think him teamed with Pouncey will make for a knowledgeable pair on picking up stunts and delayed blitzes.

flippy
09-02-2011, 11:58 AM
It has been said many times that Legursky is the smartest lineman we have on the team. I think him teamed with Pouncey will make for a knowledgeable pair on picking up stunts and delayed blitzes.

I think those 2 will be a heck of a duo. Add in Colon and Kemo pulling and we're gonna be piling up yards running right.

I was loving Legs last night. He played like his life was depending on it. He was moving some big dudes around with ease. His height really gives him some leverage against the big interior linemen that many of the bigger guys who can't bend just don't get.

RuthlessBurgher
09-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Normally, we run to the right way more than we run to the left because Kemo is able to pull, while guys like Stapleton/Essex/Foster...not so much. But with Bronko's experience as a short yardage FB leading the RB through the hole, we may be using him to pull to the left as well this year. I did notice that we were running to the left a lot more against the Panthers than we normally do.

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Legursky lone new starter

Monday, September 05, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201102/legursky0204_160.jpg

Doug Legursky spikes the ball after he scores against Carolina at Heinz Field.

Starting jobs have changed in New England and in Baltimore. The New York Jets have new starters and claimed four players off the waiver wire Sunday.

The Steelers? They are the "Same Old Steelers." Once that was a derisive term used in the 1950s and '60s to mock a franchise mired in obscurity. But there's nothing wrong with a team that has been to two of the past three Super Bowls undergoing virtually no changes in its lineup.

The reigning AFC champions will have one "new" starter of their 22 on offense and defense, right guard Doug Legursky, and he started four games there last season plus one at center in the Super Bowl.

Technically, Willie Colon also is new because he missed last season after an Achilles tendon injury. But Colon started at right tackle the previous three seasons. The only other change comes at left tackle with Jonathan Scott, but he started the final 11 games of 2010 through the Super Bowl after Max Starks had neck surgery.

All other starters remain the same from 2010, including the 11 on defense, where eight are in their 30s. You might have to go back before free agency began in '93, probably to the Super Bowl teams of the '70s, to find such stability.

"It says we have a good veteran group, that's definitely what it's saying to me," linebacker James Farrior, 36, said. "We have guys who have been around here for a long time. In general I think it helped with the overall process how the offseason went, it helped having a lot of older guys on the team."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said all of his injured players who were held out of the final preseason game Thursday against Carolina should be ready to open the season Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. That includes cornerback Ike Taylor, who has not played since his left thumb was broken in the first preseason game (he will have the pin removed from his thumb Tuesday); cornerback Bryant McFadden, who has not played in the preseason because of a torn hamstring, and center Maurkice Pouncey, who left the third preseason game with an ankle injury.

"A lot of us are seasoned," Colon said. "When you have guys like that you can do well, because guys know their roles, they understand, they're accountable. That's where we're at."

The Steelers have just seven new players on their roster -- five rookie draft picks, one undrafted rookie and veteran wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

"In these days of free agency, a lot of teams probably aren't able to say that," tight end Heath Miller said of all the returning starters. "It should be a good thing and we should make it a good thing. We've been able to add some new pieces who can come in and help us out as well but we have to make it a good thing, that's the issue for us now."

Team captains
The makeover of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continued when his teammates voted him one of four team captains Sunday, one year after he was removed from that role.

Plenty has occurred the past 18 months since Roethlisberger was accused but never charged of sexual assault in Georgia, all of it for the good. Many teammates last year spoke about the good changes they found in their quarterback, local writers voted him The Chief Award for his cooperation with them, he got married this summer and now has been re-installed as a captain.

He joins Hines Ward on offense, with Farrior captain of the defense and Arnaz Battle captain of the special teams.

"I think he's done a great job of just flat-out opening himself up to the team, keeping his nose clean," said Colon, a close friend. "He's in a real, good, stable comfortable place and he's taken on more of a leader role with a lot of us and he's a lights out player. Why not?"

Roethlisberger also served as co-captain on offense with Ward in 2008 and '09. Miller replaced him last year.

"I felt like he was one of the leaders on offense last year, he just didn't have the title of captain," Farrior said. "This year we gave him the title. Guys probably wanted to see where he was at and he showed he can be one of the leaders on the team."

Farrior has been a captain every year since '04 and Ward since '05. This is Battle's first year as a captain with the Steelers, although he also was a captain in San Francisco, where he played seven years before joining the Steelers last year as a free agent.

Quick hits
The Steelers signed eight players to their practice squad: running back John Clay, tight end/fullback Jamie McCoy, wide receiver Tyler Grisham, offensive tackle Trevis Turner, guard John Malecki, defensive lineman Corbin Bryant, linebacker Mortty Ivy and defensive back Da'Mon Cromartie Smith. ... Rookie LB Chris Carter (hamstring) was the only player who did not practice Sunday. ... CB Crezdon Butler, cut by the Steelers Saturday, was claimed off waivers by Arizona.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11248/11 ... z1X66GSLBn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11248/1172309-66-0.stm#ixzz1X66GSLBn)

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Team captains
The makeover of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continued when his teammates voted him one of four team captains Sunday, one year after he was removed from that role.

Plenty has occurred the past 18 months since Roethlisberger was accused but never charged of sexual assault in Georgia, all of it for the good. Many teammates last year spoke about the good changes they found in their quarterback, local writers voted him The Chief Award for his cooperation with them, he got married this summer and now has been re-installed as a captain.

He joins Hines Ward on offense, with Farrior captain of the defense and Arnaz Battle captain of the special teams.

"I think he's done a great job of just flat-out opening himself up to the team, keeping his nose clean," said Colon, a close friend. "He's in a real, good, stable comfortable place and he's taken on more of a leader role with a lot of us and he's a lights out player. Why not?"

Roethlisberger also served as co-captain on offense with Ward in 2008 and '09. Miller replaced him last year.

"I felt like he was one of the leaders on offense last year, he just didn't have the title of captain," Farrior said. "This year we gave him the title. Guys probably wanted to see where he was at and he showed he can be one of the leaders on the team."

Farrior has been a captain every year since '04 and Ward since '05. This is Battle's first year as a captain with the Steelers, although he also was a captain in San Francisco, where he played seven years before joining the Steelers last year as a free agent.

I was literally just about to do a "Predict the Steeler Captains" thread, but there it is.

For the record, I was thinking we might go back to having 2 each on offense, defense, and special teams, going with Ben Roethlisberger, Maurkice Pouncey, James Farrior, LaMarr Woodley, Arnaz Battle, and Will Allen.

hawaiiansteel
09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
"Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said starting right guard Doug Legursky would move to center if there was an injury to Pouncey. Ramon Foster would then come in to play right guard."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1XUZOTRko (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_755834.html#ixzz1XUZOTRko)

D Rock
09-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Good game, Doug.

:roll:

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Haloti Ngata absolutely ate Legursky for lunch. However, when Ngata's on his game, John Hannah in his prime would probably have a difficult time with him.

hawaiiansteel
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Haloti Ngata absolutely ate Legursky for lunch.

Legursky versus Ngata reminded me of:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/4845676054_e1c97d2b28_z.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
09-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Haloti Ngata absolutely ate Legursky for lunch.

Legursky versus Ngata reminded me of:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/4845676054_e1c97d2b28_z.jpg

[youtube:3h38lovz]ZpBkc2jK-6w[/youtube:3h38lovz]

flippy
09-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Heck, there was a play that Ngata ran down Mike Wallace to tackle him.

Ngata is a freak. That guy has no peer.

Chadman
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
To be fair, Legursky isn't the first guy to have trouble with Ngata.

hawaiiansteel
09-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Post-Baltimore thoughts

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2011
by Dale Lolley

© The Steelers first two turnovers, a pair of fumbles, were caused by miscommunications on the offensive line.

On the first, they allowed Suggs to come up the middle untouched and hit Roethlisberger, forcing a fumble. On the second, it was Ngata being passed off untouched.

Even if it wasn't my job to block either of those two guys, I'd have my eye on where they are. They are both too good and too important to what Baltimore does up front to just ignore.

It appeared that Doug Legursky and Maurkice Pouncey were at fault both times. Those two didn't get a lot of snaps together in the preseason.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/