PDA

View Full Version : who makes the cut at CB?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
CB has to be the most wide open position on this team right now. IMO there is only one player who is a rock solid lock to make the team in Ike Taylor.

After Ike there is an interesting but unspectacular group of players, each of whom has a legitimate shot at making the final squad - assuming we keep six, who are your two that don't make it:

BMac - incumbent starter has been involved in recent speculation that he won't make the roster. Injuries are not helping him at this point.

Gay - The other vet with tenure around here. He is the guy who fans always seem ready to dismiss, but he has hung tough.

Lewis - Showed promise last season before finding the doghouse with some pre season stupidity. Has looked good this summer and might be ready to take the next step - or not.

Butler - Former fifth rounder has looked good this pre season. After being the forgotten man, now in his third season he might be the one ready to make a push.

Allen - Raw rookie probably not ready to contribute anytime soon, but has prototypical size and skills.

Brown - Another rook, and the more ready prospect. Really no need to put him on this side of the ledger as I can't see there being a chance that Brown doesn't make it.

Warren - The darkhorse. Zero chance to make the squad when he arrived has turned into a possibility. If you go strictly by showing in the pre season, he makes it easily.....but we all know that this is not how it works.

My picks at this point.........

Warren - because we can try to put him on the PS without so much risk

Gay - his time is finally up

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Warren is the easy cut.

LeBeau's obsession for players who have the most experience in his system will mean Butler is the odd man out. LeBeau retains Gay just like he did Ty Carter for too many years.

steelz09
08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I would cut gay out of the list.

The other guys are cheaper and Gay does not provide that much of an upgrade over Butler and/or the other younger guys.

McFadden is a better #2 than Gay. I really don't think that is debatable. Gay is a #3 guy at best. If Brown, Warren, Lewis, Butler, Allen, etc can't replace Gay as a #3 than we are in deep Sh!t at the WR position :)

flippy
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Too close to call. I'd dump Will Allen and use someone else to back up the safety positions behind Mundy. And maybe keep them all over having a #3 Qb on the roster.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
I'll go with Allen and Allen. Put Cortez Allen on I.R. (he's been hurt pretty much for all of camp) and cut Will Allen, since he is really only a special teams player at this point since Mundy backs up both Troy and Clark (and he's not a dominant special teamer either...he's the defensive version of Arnaz Battle, who I also expect to go bye-bye).

Although then Troy, Clark, and Mundy would be the only 3 true safeties to go with 7 CB's, you could give guys like Crez Butler and Don Warren a look at safety as well as corner.

papillon
08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
I voted Gay and Warren, I hope Butler stays with the team. This guy was grading as a first round pick his junior year. He opted to stay in school and other teams decided it wasn't a good idea to challenge him, so his senior year he didn't do much. You don't lose 1st round skill simply because college teams don't want to test you.

Butler is going to be a good CB for the Steelers, IMO.

Pappy

NottinghamForest_UK
08-30-2011, 02:28 PM
I've gone for just Warren! Although I hope I'm wrong and either BMac or Gay get the axe!

feltdizz
08-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Obsessing over Gay getting cut is like obsessing over BA getting fired or Sweed making the team. It's energy wasted IMO.

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Obsessing over Gay getting cut is like obsessing over BA getting fired or Sweed making the team. It's energy wasted IMO.

Yep!!! LeBeau has proven he keeps guys with less talent who know the defense. Gay is on the team.