PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember " Zach Hurd " during the draft ?

insanesteelersfan
08-29-2011, 11:50 PM
I seem to remember alot of fans here during the draft were advocating selecting the UCONN Guard,,,especially when he was dropping in the draft. Well, he was officially " Cut " from the Seahawks today. So maybe he wasn't all that huh ? But, I do seem to remember the Steelers had worked Hurd out before the draft, didn't they ? I know it seems kinda stupid to say that maybe we should take a look at him. But, he might make a good PS signee...?

Whatcha think fans ? :tt1

fordfixer
08-30-2011, 12:17 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1277475

Overview

Hurd was a talented leader for the Huskies for the past three seasons, starting all 39 games and also making his mark off the field. He was not only named a team captain in 2010 and unanimously named first-team All-Big East by league coaches, but nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team because of his involvement with a number of charities during his time in Storrs.

As a redshirt freshman in 2007, Hurd played in every game as a backup and special teams player. He entered the starting lineup at right guard in 2008 and helped pave the way for Donald Brown to lead the country in rushing with 2,083 yards. As a junior he was First Team All-Big East and started every game that season, this time at left guard.

Hurd is a talented drive blocker who also owns surprising athleticism. He will most likely be drafted in the mid-to-later rounds of the draft, however, because of his occasional lack of awareness and tendency to play out of control. Some NFL offensive line coaches will try to convince the team's general manager that they can improve his instincts, giving him a chance to become a long-time starter for them.
Analysis

Positives: Has good athleticism and quick feet for his size. Uses his bulk and strength to create lanes as a run blocker. Gets under the pads of defenders and drives them out of the play. Sustains his blocks once he gets leverage on the defender. Kicks out and seal the edge and gets out to pull despite his hulking frame. Engulfs undersized linebackers. Has a strong upper body and uses his arms to sustain blocks in pass protection. Has good balance and recovers well when getting knocked backwards. Shows the ability to cut block. Knocks players to the ground when coming with a full head of steam. Has a quick first step off the snap. Explodes off the line and keeps his pad level low. Prevents quick penetration on running plays. Gets to the second level quickly. Works his way outside and squares up nicely on outside linebackers and cornerbacks.

Negatives: Lacks football instincts, often hitting the wrong target or seeming unsure whom to block. Looks uncomfortable as a pass blocker and tries to attack defenders with his body instead of keeping his balance and engaging them. Tends to catch the defender in pass protection instead of making the first contact. Doesn't keep his legs running when engaged. Fails to stay square at times and can be shed by defenders. Tends to lead with his shoulder rather than engage linemen with his hands. Gets lazy at times and prefers not to block downfield if the play isn't directly in his area. Doesn't take great angles and can fail to keep the defender in front of him.

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 03:08 AM
I think that if the Steelers carry an OG on the practice squad it's more apt to be either Keith Williams or Chris Scott.

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I think that if the Steelers carry an OG on the practice squad it's more apt to be either Keith Williams or Chris Scott.

It may be both if they want to keep 7 CBs which it appears like they will try to do.

steelerkeylargo
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17172&hilit=zach+hurd (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17172&hilit=zach+hurd)