PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall - I don't get it

steelnavy
08-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I do not undertand why Mendenhall gets so many snaps and Redman gets so few. And WHY Mendenhall keeps getting the call near the goal line. Correct me if I am wrong, but Mendy didn't look that great the other night (especially relative to being a number one draft pick). From what I have seen, he goes down pretty easily, and many times when he gets a crease, he either trips over the first guy that pretends to grab his shoelace or he slips on a blade of grass that happens to be longer than the others. On the other hand, unless Redman simultaneously runs headfirst into three linemen at once, he usually pushes forward for a yard or two once touched. Redman seems to have better vision and good speed. While he did get less carries last year, his stats are much better. Is it politics? Do the Steelers have to play Mendenhall so they dont look dumb because their undrafted running back is better than their number one pick?

I wanted to throw up the other night when they had to settle for three after Timmons interception return to the goal line. It was so predictable and happens way too much. We need a guy to push through when the hole closes up, and Mendy DOES NOT do that.

BTW, went to my first game at Heinz field and sat in section 111. Wow, what a view!

BTW 2, I have mentioned on here how much I learn from you guys by reading your posts every day. I was the resident expert on player names, stats, who to watch for, who would be relieving who, etc. You all make me smart(er)!

BURGH86STEEL
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Mendenhall is the better all around, faster, and more explosive RB. Mendenhall breaks his share of tackles. That being said, I think Redman will get more carries this season. I don't think Redman will be shouldering the responsibility of FB this season. He should be more comfortable within the offense.

Djfan
08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree that Redman has earned much more than he gets. I also wonder why Mendy got that goal-line stance and not Redman. I loved the idea of Legursky, but felt that Redman would have been a great choice instead.

That being said, I love what Bruce A. is up to so far this off season.

NorthCoast
08-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree that Redman has earned much more than he gets. I also wonder why Mendy got that goal-line stance and not Redman. I loved the idea of Legursky, but felt that Redman would have been a great choice instead.

That being said, I love what Bruce A. is up to so far this off season.

don't worry, it will all disappear once the reg season starts....BA is showing flashes this pre-season but I'm not buying until some of these plays show up starting Game 1.

Flasteel
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
My buddy and I were discussing this during the game - when Redman didn't come on the field. My thought was that they were checking out Mendenhall in all situational looks that might come his way for the first half and would do the same for Redman in the second.

I agree that Mendenhall is the more explosive back and has more tools in his toolbox than does Redman. That said, 33 has earned the short-yardage job as well as the right to lighten Mendy's load. He runs with authority!

With the threat of our passing game and run-blocking capability, these guys should both be able to tear things up this year.

SteelAbility
08-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Gotta justify that 1st round pick somehow. :lol:

Snatch98
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Please god stop with the Redman vs Mendenhall bs. Mendenhall is a MUCH better HB. Redman is certainly clutch but what we see from Redman is a guy that ALWAYS has fresh legs. It's why you use a guy like Issac to SPELL a guy like Rashard. As far as Redman being the guy the gets the goal line carries is concerned, I'm sure he'll get his looks. However Mendenhall scored a bunch of TD's last season and he's not going to do all the work between the 20's just to hand it off to Redman for all the "glory". Redman will get more carries than last yeaer but he's not Mendenhall and never will be Mendenhall. Why people still have the idea in their head that Redman is the better tailback is beyond me. It's crazy. Mendenhall carried us the first 4 games last season. He's the reason we only lost one of the 4 without Ben.

Djfan
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Why people still have the idea in their head that Redman is the better tailback is beyond me. It's crazy.

I'm not saying that, and unless I misunderstood the OP, he didn't say that either.

Snatch98
08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Why people still have the idea in their head that Redman is the better tailback is beyond me. It's crazy.

I'm not saying that, and unless I misunderstood the OP, he didn't say that either.

Really? That's exactly what he said without coming right out and saying it. EDIT: And I don't disagree with your point totally. I should have quoted the OP only. It's really the only post that I read in this thread before posting what I posted above.

steelz09
08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Mendenhall is a sold all around back.

But I completely agree. I do not see any reason at all why Redman does not get more carries.

He's proven to be very difficult to bring down. He runs hard and has been more successful imo as a short yardage back compare to Mendenhall. Also, our oline is not good enough for Mendenhall to do his "tap dancing" in the backfield. He needs to make his reads and just hit the hole.

Mendenhall is obviously the starter but Redman should be getting more carries. It's whats best for the team.

Snatch98
08-29-2011, 09:19 PM

But I completely agree. I do not see any reason at all why Redman does not get more carries.

He's proven to be very difficult to bring down. He runs hard and has been more successful imo as a short yardage back compare to Mendenhall. Also, our oline is not good enough for Mendenhall to do his "tap dancing" in the backfield. He needs to make his reads and just hit the hole.

Mendenhall is obviously the starter but Redman should be getting more carries. It's whats best for the team.

I agree that Redman should get more carries but we're talking 6-8 per game and not a time share. I'm guessing people are suggesting 6-8 or so and that's TOTALLY reasonable BUT to say that Mendenhall dances around too much is a little crazy. He has much better vision than Redman and if I remember correctly there were a few times last year that Mendenhall wouldn't be denied the endzone. The one where he hit the whole hard, bounced off and shoved his way in somewhere else. Redman will get more carries. The OP is calling for a borderline role switch, as are others. (In other past threads)

steelnavy
08-29-2011, 09:55 PM

I agree that Redman should get more carries but we're talking 6-8 per game and not a time share. I'm guessing people are suggesting 6-8 or so and that's TOTALLY reasonable BUT to say that Mendenhall dances around too much is a little crazy. He has much better vision than Mendenhall and if I remember correctly there were a few times last year that Mendenhall wouldn't be denied the endzone. The one where he hit the whole hard, bounced off and shoved his way in somewhere else. Redman will get more carries. The OP is calling for a borderline role switch, as are others. (In other past threads)

Didn't say it should be a role reversal and didn't infer that. Didn't say Mendy sucks, but do not see him necessarily earning his 1st round paycheck all the time. Things I am saying:

He does dance around in the backfield more than Redman
He does trip over phantom obstacles and his own shoe laces sometimes
Redman has better YPC average by a yard (last year)
Redman bulls through tacklers better than Mendy
Mendy gets stuffed A LOT at the goal line
Redman should get more carries, especially at the goal line, especially if he is better than Mendy at busting through the line (dont care if Mendy got them there; this is a TEAM sport and if Mendy is better in open space and Redman is better at busting heads, then SCORE THE DAMN TD)
I am tired of walking away with three points from the two yard line...

NorCal-Steeler
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
I'll say it. Mendy blows. I believe we would have won the superbowl had he not fumbled. He carries the ball way too loose. I would much rather have a hb that gets his 3-5 yrds a carry than one who loses yrds then occasionaly rips a good run. I'll give him his game against atl last year and his playoff game vs the Jets but his overall body of work and his tweets leave me wanting more.

NorCal-Steeler
08-30-2011, 01:03 AM
I'd also like to add that SOB fumbles as much on madden11 as in real games....lol

Snatch98
08-30-2011, 02:00 AM
I'll say it. Mendy blows. I believe we would have won the superbowl had he not fumbled. He carries the ball way too loose. I would much rather have a hb that gets his 3-5 yrds a carry than one who loses yrds then occasionaly rips a good run. I'll give him his game against atl last year and his playoff game vs the Jets but his overall body of work and his tweets leave me wanting more.

Well we're lucky you aren't Tomlin and the Rooney's. I blame the fumble on Bruce Arians as Matthews went on record and said he knew that play was coming. It was a text book hit, right on the ball and it came loose. Any HB in the league would have fumbled that ball and Mendenahll is a large part of the reason we even made it to the Super Bowl. I can also care less about his tweets or any other professional athletes tweets. He had 1500 yards and 17 TD's from the start of the season through the Super Bowl. If our offensive line was better his yards per carry would be higher. I can't count the number of times on both hands the number of times I've read someone complain about the runs Arians calls. Essentially throwing our RB's in to the teeth of the defense week after week. 1500 yards for the entire season and 17 td's certainly looks like a rb that "leaves a lot to be desired" lmao.

steelblood
08-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Mendenhall does fumble at some inopportune times. But, he is not a terrible fumbler.

Mendenhall is also VERY good at the goal line. I'm not sure why this is questioned. He scored a bunch of TDs last season and was good in the post season. If you closely watched the playoff game against the Ravens, you wouldn't be questioning Mendenhall at the goal line. On the touchdown he scored, the Ravens had him totally bottled up as he attempted to go over the LG/C center gap. Cody and 3 other Ravens had ragdolled their blockers and were standing directly in Mendenhall's path. Rashard then made a tight jump cut back to his right and left the 3-4 Ravens players in their tracks. Then, he got low and powered his way in. There is no way Redman scores on this play. Redman simply does not have Mendenhall's lateral agility. I'd love to see Redman get 10 carries a game simply because Mendenhall would be fresher later in the season. But, with the game on the line, in most of the situations, I want Rashard.

feltdizz
08-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Please god stop with the Redman vs Mendenhall bs. Mendenhall is a MUCH better HB. Redman is certainly clutch but what we see from Redman is a guy that ALWAYS has fresh legs. It's why you use a guy like Issac to SPELL a guy like Rashard. As far as Redman being the guy the gets the goal line carries is concerned, I'm sure he'll get his looks. However Mendenhall scored a bunch of TD's last season and he's not going to do all the work between the 20's just to hand it off to Redman for all the "glory". Redman will get more carries than last yeaer but he's not Mendenhall and never will be Mendenhall. Why people still have the idea in their head that Redman is the better tailback is beyond me. It's crazy. Mendenhall carried us the first 4 games last season. He's the reason we only lost one of the 4 without Ben.

Redman would make easier for Mend to be more productive and have fresher legs. No one is suggesting a role reversal, most people want Redman to get 8 to 10 touches a game. there is no reason Mend should be 27 for 42 yards... while Redman is 2 for 15 in the same game.

Mend is the more complete back but there are times when we need a north south runner like Redman.

frankthetank1
08-30-2011, 08:04 AM

mendy's fumble was in the 3rd qtr. i doubt we win that game even if the fumble doesnt happen. the defense couldnt stop the packers offense. that fumble wasnt all mendy's fault. he got rocked as soon as he touched the ball. hard not to fault the o-line on that one. just like the many other mendy runs that go for 0 or negative yardage. if redman was starting and going against the first stringers this preseason we would see the same result. redman is the more powerful back but mendy has a better all around game.

NorCal-Steeler
08-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Let me begin by saying i do root for mendy and want him to do well but i do not like his style of play. When he spins he hold the ball away from his body. The fumble in the superbowl he ran standing straight up which allowed the hit on the ball. If we score on that drive we take a 4 point lead and although our defense was getting shredded the pressure would have been on a young team and young QB.
Maybe im just biased because i said Mendy would cost us a big game way back when he was competing with Parker for the job. Yes he may have had 1700 yrds on the season but 1200 in regular season while having 324 carries on a superbowl doesnt seem great to me. i believe he ranked 7th for rb in season while 2nd or 3rd for carries.
The guy has quick feet great side to side movement and i do love him recieving. I do root for him i just think we depend on Ben for explosion and would like dependable out of our RB. I was very impressed with his improvemnt on fumbles last year but for James Harrison to say he's a fumble machine as well he must be dropping the ball in practice alot as well.

Djfan
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Felt most closely represented my take on it.

Also, if you watch the VERY painful NFLN show on the SB, Greene told Matthews that they knew Mendy's habit of holding the ball wrongly, and to try to strip it from him. It worked like they knew it would.

phillyesq
08-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Redman would make easier for Mend to be more productive and have fresher legs. No one is suggesting a role reversal, most people want Redman to get 8 to 10 touches a game. there is no reason Mend should be 27 for 42 yards... while Redman is 2 for 15 in the same game.

Mend is the more complete back but there are times when we need a north south runner like Redman.

:Agree

I agree with Dizz. Mendenhall is clearly the more complete back, but letting Redman bang inside for 8-10 carries per game will keep Mendenhall fresh and will also wear down the defense a bit.

feltdizz
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I really like Mendenhall but I think Redman shows he can get tough yards even when the D knows he is getting the ball.

Redman knows how to get small and fire through holes that Mend wouldn't see. The other issue I have with Mend is his wild flaring spinning style... he isn't spinning nearly as much as he used to but if you watch Redman spin you see a guy moving forward while shedding a tackler... Mend tends to spin and stay in the same place half the time.

The SB was a prime example of what Redman is capable of... he broke off a nice 15 yard run but he isn't a homerun hitter. I think he has earned the right to more touches based on his performance and consistency...

flippy
08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I think it's simple. Tomlin wants the wheels to come off before we have to pay him.

sentinel33
08-30-2011, 11:19 AM
This whole debacle with the RB time share falls squarely on BA's shoulders.

This guy has an incredible array of weapons. And not just in the backfield either.
Just the thought of Wallace, Miller, Brown and Cotchery deployed with Mendenhall in the backfield has me salivating big time. Or is it Redman in the backfield?...

This is what BA has to figure out.

Personally, I don't care who it is. As long as the guy that is gettin the most shares is gettin them for a reason. For instance, if a defence has a problem covering the edge, mendenhall gets the show. If a defense is weak up the gut, you gotta lean more towards redman. I hate when draft position get's in the way of making calls like this.

I wanna see redman get some more carries too. But only if it benefits the offense. Very hard to argue against Mendenhall's production last year. I would take that every year forever. He's a thoroughbred and only 24 yrs. old.

With the exception of 2-3 positions on the O-line, the chessboard is set up for BA.

Time to bring out your best Kasparov, BA.

The time is now!

steelz09
08-30-2011, 11:37 AM

mendy's fumble was in the 3rd qtr. i doubt we win that game even if the fumble doesnt happen. the defense couldnt stop the packers offense. that fumble wasnt all mendy's fault. he got rocked as soon as he touched the ball. hard not to fault the o-line on that one. just like the many other mendy runs that go for 0 or negative yardage. if redman was starting and going against the first stringers this preseason we would see the same result. redman is the more powerful back but mendy has a better all around game.

The fumble wans't all Mendy's fault. Johnson missing the block was the biggest fault on that play. Mendenhall does take some of the blame though.

But I disagree that the fumble wasn't a game changing moment in the SB. We had the momemtum and we were on our way to taking the lead on that drive. We were very close to FG range. That fumble was a HUGE momentum swing as GB then scored a TD after the turnover.

I basically knew at that moment that we were not going to win the game.

feltdizz
08-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Big momentum swing but anyone who gets hit by Clay Matthews and another defender as soon as they get the ball will most likely fumble.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
With the exception of 2-3 positions on the O-line, the chessboard is set up for BA.

Or else exile himself from the rest of society like Bobby Fischer. :stirpot

flippy
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Or else exile himself from the rest of society like Bobby Fischer. :stirpot

I think this style of chess is more up BA's alley....

[youtube:1qnbe7qm]PL6DC892AF46F11B37[/youtube:1qnbe7qm]