PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2011 – Preseason Week 3 – Falcons

redundantman
08-29-2011, 09:52 AM
[interior – morning]
[A disheveled room surrounds a disheveled bed. Consistency being the last refuge of the unimaginative, a disheveled figure lies on the bed, tangled in a coil of sheets. A haze hangs in the air and gives the illusion of an atmosphere of substance, not unlike the lingering thickness after the fireworks have been set off and the confetti, after being launched in triumph, has begun its pointless journey back to earth. Based on the near terminal case of bed-head and the smell coming from the kitchen we are left to assume that our hero has been asleep for a long while.]

“Yeah! Uh-huh!”

[The figure on the bed stirs]

“.. you know what it is! …”

*blink* … wiz khalifa? …what time is it? … heck, what DAY is it?…
What happened last ye … super bowl ?…

“black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow…”

*groan* … The Packers? …

“everything I do, I do it big
yeah, uh huh, screamin that's nothing”

the Steelers lost to the … Packers?

“what I pulled off the lot, that's stuntin
reppin my town when you see me you know everything”

[They call him redundantman – defender of justice, blowhard windbag, seriously deluded columnist wannabe, devastatingly handsome … all applicable descriptions … all making sense in the proper frame of reference. But what didn’t make sense was Wiz Khalifa.]

Where are you hiding Wiz?

“I put it down from the whip to my diamonds I'm in”

[The grip of off-season hibernation relents slowly, moreso after that final loss of the year. The need for clarity mandates the need for silence; and the comfort provided by the esteemed Mr. Khalifa would soon be a regrettable casualty of the haze that our hero awoke into.]

“black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow…”

[Redundantman finds the source of the music. The ipod is silenced; rescued from the floor, salvaged from the wreckage of what one must assume to be a long-over Super Bowl night.]

What the?... where am I? …

[Redundantman was used to the hibernation. He was used to the confines of his secret lair. But he was not used to this room nor to the lingering fog that made it so hard for him to return to life this time. Typically the “fanatic sleep” protected and extended, prepared him for the next season. After all, people depended on him. They needed him. Sure, there was a price. But there always was a price asked of those who were different wasn’t there?]

[an empty bottle catches RM’s eye.]

Jameson’s? Always been a pathetic light-weight …
Lockout! What happened to the lockout? Did they not get a deal done?

[Our hero spots a nearby laptop computer. Not knowing who it belonged to doesn’t seem to bother him. Conveniently connected via wireless and graced with a bandwidth-rich connection, redundantman is on the intarwebs immediately, absorbing the various RSS feeds that have stacked up during his restoration.]

Goodell got it done after all, huh? Good for him.

[The relevant news stories scroll by as RM receives months’ worth of updates in a manner of minutes.]

Plexico got out of jail and onto the Jets? Good for him.

Hines Ward won “Dancing with the Stars”, huh? Good for him.

Kim Kardashian got married, huh? Good for her.

Egypt … bleah ..
Libya … who cares?
Osama who? I thought he died from kidney failure years ago on that trip to Candy Mountain …

[A link catches RM’s attention. He clicks …]

Wait a minute, who put naked ladies on the internet?! Why didn’t anyone TELL me? …

[the camera draws away as the music rises – the screen darkens and the following text scrolls across the screen]
And so another year of the NFL begins.
“The Guardians” awake and begin their tireless patrol in pursuit of a better game, a truer NFL experience.
An NFL experience marked by all that is right and good: like Ravens losses and Cowboys losses and Tom Brady hair weaves.
Above all, the game mattered.
And it was his job to see that it was enjoyed.
Stay tuned weekly for the adventures of Redundantman.

1. Week 1 the Steelers couldn’t do anything right. Weeks 2 and 3 the Steelers look either unstoppable (against the “dream team”)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEVPNiiAo2OgPfXEIeL4v-jGbgyu9yhk8w4w1qx4V3pRYABpo
Snicker ….

Or full of explosive talent (against the “Falcons”)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiRa03NG8ka59MDdn3jPrT1r4agEZHW 6AJqYSdj72T3FZ5sEjx
R.I.P. Matty Eyes.

2. Even more troubling, the Steelers defense has been making it look easy. Hampton, Keisel and Smith across the front. What is the over-under on number of weeks those three actually start together?

3. Antonio Brown is the new Mike Wallace … who was the new Randle El.

4. The Falcons QBs WERE told to NOT throw the ball to the Steelers people right? How many passes did the Steelers almost pick off in that game?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vttt0i.jpg
Kneel before … Bob Bratkowski!

5. In the first quarter, with three shots from the 5, the Steelers O couldn’t get in. The Falcons D looks respectable all of a sudden.

6. Pouncey, Keenan Lewis, Leftwich, Hampton … how many Steelers players were carted off?

7. Who the hell names their kid Swayze?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFCuJa1xk5dhDhfvTWMKNNqUuy8yEw3 frMJJgfUpeZbC-snbxYNw
Yeah, yeah … this guy.

8. Interesting point about kickoffs – early in the year science tells us that most of the kickoffs will go into the end zone. Resulting in touchbacks and boring special teams. As the weather gets colder I would think this will stop being the case. So by then all the teams will be out of practice properly covering kicks - which could make special teams even more exciting at just the right time of the season.

9. So, Hines Ward + Antonio Brown + Mike Wallace = ?

10. Troy seems up to speed. The entire Steelers defense was flowing to the ball.

11. Lefty is more than a nickname now.

12. Antonio Brown lights them up, does a little Hines Ward dance. 4 recs 137 yds and 2 TDs. Hey look! There’s a nice comfy spot on the bench! Why don't you have a seat Mr. Brown?

13. The young CB takes it to the house ... gets tired on the way. Young CBs should be in better shape than that. Send in the Shakeweight!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sy1EvXd1R5M/TRi0_bGKrEI/AAAAAAAAAMU/IQ7PQ0KUZ4E/s200/shake_weight2.jpg

14. The Falcons were taking shots downfield and not connecting on any of them. It reminds me of Big Ben and his flaky touch on the longball.

15. I’ve never been so glad to watch crappy football in all of my life. Bless the noble Roger Goodell and his minions for getting this 10 year deal done.

16. Perspective: Preseason blah blah blah injuries blah blah blah. The Steelers will be as good as their health allows them to be. The pundits consistently put the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, Jets and Chargers at the head of the AFC. I take much more joy out of watching the Steelers making it a reality than I do in listening to people prognosticate about it. Let the football begin!

Djfan
08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
[i][interior – morning]

15. I’ve never been so glad to watch crappy football in all of my life. Bless the noble Roger Goodell and his minions for getting this 10 year deal done.

I threw up in the back of my throat a little bit here.

Oviedo
08-29-2011, 11:09 AM
2. Even more troubling, the Steelers defense has been making it look easy. Hampton, Keisel and Smith across the front. What is the over-under on number of weeks those three actually start together?

The only thing I saw "easy" was Matt Ryan piling up 266 yards against our secondary.

There is real reason to have concern about James Harrison. He was invisible Saturday night. Beginning of the end for him??????????

birtikidis
08-29-2011, 12:49 PM

The only thing I saw "easy" was Matt Ryan piling up 266 yards against our secondary.

There is real reason to have concern about James Harrison. He was invisible Saturday night. Beginning of the end for him??????????
with 40+ passes he should have been WELL over 300 yards. oh and more than 10 points.

RuthlessBurgher
08-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Another season of blessed redundancy is upon us! :Clap

Kudos for the 12-year-old-Tom-Brady avatar, the pic of Carlton Banks with Drew Brees (not Matt Ryan...Matty Ice is too cool to have the nastiest QB cheek since Kordell Stewart), the reference to Charlie the Unicorn and the Magical Liopleurodon, and the epic Swayze minotaur tat.

:Bow

flippy
08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Anyone see Whisenhunt Khalifa at the MTV VMA's last night wearing his black and yellow and Steeler ball cap?

Clearly Roger Goodell has an in with MTV so he could ensure Wiz didn't get an award since he's a Steelers fan.

feltdizz
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM

As long as the points don't pile up I'm good!

Get used to it.

steelblood
08-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Love the redundant thoughts.

The screenplay? Um, I like the redundant thoughts very much.

steelblood

papillon
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
The defense gave up a lot of small plays (Matt Ryan's YPA was an anemic 5.2 ); the bothersome part was not being able to get off the field on 3rd and long. That could be the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about.

The Falcons completely eliminated the run from their playbook and threw the ball 42 times. If you have a respectable 7 YPA Ryan would have had 298 yards, a good YPA of 8 and he has 336 yards and elite YPA of 8.5 and better and he has 357 at a minimum. The fact he only had 220 yards is good for the Steeler defense.

Pappy

feltdizz
08-29-2011, 02:30 PM
The defense gave up a lot of small plays (Matt Ryan's YPA was an anemic 5.2 ); the bothersome part was not being able to get off the field on 3rd and long. That could be the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about.

The Falcons completely eliminated the run from their playbook and threw the ball 42 times. If you have a respectable 7 YPA Ryan would have had 298 yards, a good YPA of 8 and he has 336 yards and elite YPA of 8.5 and better and he has 357 at a minimum. The fact he only had 220 yards is good for the Steeler defense.

Pappy

3rd and whatever has always been a problem IMO.

Oviedo
08-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Pappy

Until our secondary starts to play man to man it will remain an issue. If you give the WRs cushions of 5-10 yards on 3rd down the opponents will convert at a high percentage.

papillon
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Pappy

Until our secondary starts to play man to man it will remain an issue. If you give the WRs cushions of 5-10 yards on 3rd down the opponents will convert at a high percentage.

They played some press man coverage the other night, but I can't remember if it was on 3rd down or not, but I did see corners up on their guy at the LOS in some defenses the Steelers played.

Still, 5.2 YPA is very good, with room for improvement on 3rd down. I've grown accustomed to seeing easy completion and a tackle by the defense over the years. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to; it can be difficult to watch from a fan's perspective, but it is successful even in games that you think it wasn't. The Super Bowl is an example of it being successful enough to give the Steelers a shot at winning the game. Isn't that all you can really ask for when the two best teams are playing?

Pappy

Starlifter
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
[i][interior – morning]

i'm sensing a bit of sarcasm from redundantman....... :tt1 :tt1

fordfixer
08-29-2011, 09:27 PM
redundantman is posting again now the season may begin :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Northern_Blitz
08-29-2011, 10:19 PM

This...it's crazy, but I prefer the D to be facing 3rd & 1-2 than 3rd and 6-8.

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2011, 10:56 PM

Hopefully, as many as possible. But we do have reinforcements that can cover their action in the event of their absence.

3. Antonio Brown is the new Mike Wallace … who was the new Randle El.

San Antonio Holmes

7. Who the hell names their kid Swayze?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFCuJa1xk5dhDhfvTWMKNNqUuy8yEw3 frMJJgfUpeZbC-snbxYNw
Yeah, yeah … this guy.

Of course that was "this guy's" last name. Our soon-to-be-one-of-several final camp cuts sports that as a given name. He had creative parents.

8. Interesting point about kickoffs – early in the year science tells us that most of the kickoffs will go into the end zone. Resulting in touchbacks and boring special teams. As the weather gets colder I would think this will stop being the case. So by then all the teams will be out of practice properly covering kicks - which could make special teams even more exciting at just the right time of the season.

Our STs need to be ready regardless.

9. So, Hines Ward + Antonio Brown + Mike Wallace = ?

... trouble for our opponents.

12. Antonio Brown lights them up, does a little Hines Ward dance. 4 recs 137 yds and 2 TDs. Hey look! There’s a nice comfy spot on the bench! Why don't you have a seat Mr. Brown?

We don't need to showboat like that. OTOH, his separation speed is unreal. He passed their secondary like they were staring in awe.

13. The young CB takes it to the house ... gets tired on the way. Young CBs should be in better shape than that. Send in the Shakeweight!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sy1EvXd1R5M/TRi0_bGKrEI/AAAAAAAAAMU/IQ7PQ0KUZ4E/s200/shake_weight2.jpg

She looks like she's having entirely too much fun with those.

14. The Falcons were taking shots downfield and not connecting on any of them. It reminds me of Big Ben and his flaky touch on the longball.

That's not what she says. I'm pretty sure she isn't convinced of his "flaky touch" on the "long ball".

It's only the pre-season, RM. OTOH, what are we blessing Good Ol' Rog with? I have a bottle of "beer" I "obtained" at a Browns game once. Can we bless him with that?

buckeyehoppy
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM

Either way, our D has to get their @$$es off the field on 3rd and no matter how long. Championship teams get their Ds off the field more often than they stay on. We'll get there. But we need to have that certain sense of vigilance in that situation at all times.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:43 AM

I am more concerned about Harrison than I am about the secondary. But its all about health of all our old geezers on defense (including "Blackie-locks" Polamalu).

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:45 AM

with 40+ passes he should have been WELL over 300 yards. oh and more than 10 points.

That's sort of my point. I didn't get the impression that the defense was all that impressed with the Falcons. But if Ryan had hit on a couple of those deep shots it would have beena different game.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Another season of blessed redundancy is upon us! :Clap

Kudos for the 12-year-old-Tom-Brady avatar, the pic of Carlton Banks with Drew Brees (not Matt Ryan...Matty Ice is too cool to have the nastiest QB cheek since Kordell Stewart), the reference to Charlie the Unicorn and the Magical Liopleurodon, and the epic Swayze minotaur tat.

:Bow

I sense a kindred spirit!
+1 internets to RuthlessBurger for spelling LeoPluralDon gooder than me.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Anyone see Whisenhunt Khalifa at the MTV VMA's last night wearing his black and yellow and Steeler ball cap?

Clearly Roger Goodell has an in with MTV so he could ensure Wiz didn't get an award since he's a Steelers fan.

I've been meaning to compliment you on the creepiest signature image in the history of the world.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Love the redundant thoughts.
Hey THANKS!

The screenplay?
*hopeful anticipation*

Um, I like the redundant thoughts very much.

steelblood
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9Ag0_AZTDqV7nM4P0MEABaXyKYPTZb BLNWEMF8LwIdyn5sC-L
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4fmDa44tX_Sxrf6AwhzIv73SUCbnid JMH38FVwpivYUS5C2SV

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Pappy

Both excellent points. Atlanta was clearly emphasizing the pass. If I had Matt Ryan as a QB and a meaningless game against the Steelers I would do the same thing. I think it was obvious that if this game occured during the regular season we would have seen a different strategy from both sides (but hopefully a similar result).

redundantman
08-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Pappy

They played some press man coverage the other night, but I can't remember if it was on 3rd down or not, but I did see corners up on their guy at the LOS in some defenses the Steelers played.

Still, 5.2 YPA is very good, with room for improvement on 3rd down. I've grown accustomed to seeing easy completion and a tackle by the defense over the years. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to; it can be difficult to watch from a fan's perspective, but it is successful even in games that you think it wasn't. The Super Bowl is an example of it being successful enough to give the Steelers a shot at winning the game. Isn't that all you can really ask for when the two best teams are playing?

Pappy

Allow the catch, make the tackle. It often works in the modern NFL.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
[i][interior – morning]

i'm sensing a bit of sarcasm from redundantman....... :tt1 :tt1
For clarity I am including an image that conveys the mindset behind the thought in question:
http://www.protias.com/Pictures/Thread/post%20still%20makes%20no%20sense.jpg

redundantman
08-30-2011, 08:02 AM
redundantman is posting again now the season may begin :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1
I am like the changing of the color of the foliage, I am.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 08:03 AM

I am with you. I love it when teams are stupid enough to try to run against the Steelers.

redundantman
08-30-2011, 08:50 AM
It's only the pre-season, RM. OTOH, what are we blessing Good Ol' Rog with? I have a bottle of "beer" I "obtained" at a Browns game once. Can we bless him with that?

He's our bestest buddy and "big toe". Drink up, Rog, old chum ...

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Especially when you have William Gay, Donovan Warren, and Crezdon Butler trying to cover Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, etc. Remember, Taylor and McFadden didn't play at all, and Lewis didn't play much due to injury.

flippy
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM

I've been meaning to compliment you on the creepiest signature image in the history of the world.

AA deserves all the credit for that one.

You shoulda seen the avitar I used on a Steelers board with no rules. They made me take it down cause it was freaking people out.

I thought it was kinda funny cause I'm the most harmless person you'd ever meet. And I only did it to be silly.

Guess some people have clown issues :)

sentinel33
08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
More people than I care to discuss, Flippy.

Frickin' weird.