PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Looks like Batch will be No. 2

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Gerry: Looks like Batch will be No. 2

SUNDAY, 28 AUGUST 2011 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Nothing will be official until the Steelers resume practice tomorrow, but I have been told veteran Charlie Batch will move up as the No. 2 quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger after Byron Leftwich broke his left arm against the Falcons.

That means the Steelers will probably try to get Batch lots of work with the first and second units in the final preseason game in Carolina Thursday night, depending, though, how much – or how little – some of them play.

Batch did not play against the Falcons and has worked mostly with a bunch of rookie free agents in training camp. The Steelers don't want him to do that again for fear he could get injured playing behind an inexperienced offensive line.

Dennis Dixon was scheduled to gets lot of playing time against the Falcons and Panthers, possibly in an attempt to showcase and trade the fourth-year quarterback. Dixon is an unrestricted free agent after the season and the Steelers believe he wants to play for a team where he would at least be the No. 2 quarterback. He will be the No. 3 quarterback for now.

http://burgh.us/77f

Starlifter
08-29-2011, 12:24 AM
give batch no more than one quarter. he's been as fragile as anyone the last few years. if he goes down in our last pre-season game, we're royally screwed.

insanesteelersfan
08-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I look for the steelers to run their BUTTS off against Carolina. No way do they throw alot, and make Batch a target to get hammered. He's already as brittle as crystal. I say the steelers MIGHT run it between 60-70 times Thursday night.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2011, 01:33 AM
I look for the steelers to run their BUTTS off against Carolina. No way do they throw alot, and make Batch a target to get hammered. He's already as brittle as crystal. I say the steelers MIGHT run it between 60-70 times Thursday night.

this is very insightful and I think the Steelers will indeed try to establish their run game against a pathetic Panthers run defense that was shredded for 164 yards and 2 TDs against Miami and 191 yards and 2 TDs against the hapless Bengals.

phillyesq
08-29-2011, 08:51 AM

this is very insightful and I think the Steelers will indeed try to establish their run game against a pathetic Panthers run defense that was shredded for 164 yards and 2 TDs against Miami and 191 yards and 2 TDs against the hapless Bengals.

That would also make sense. Unless there is somebody the Steelers want to look at, I'd imagine that they would want to shorten the game as much as possible.

Oviedo
08-29-2011, 11:14 AM

That would also make sense. Unless there is somebody the Steelers want to look at, I'd imagine that they would want to shorten the game as much as possible.

I predict Dwyer and Redman have at least 10 carries each while Mendy gets less than 10.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Tomlin: No determination on back QB yet

MONDAY, 29 AUGUST 2011
BY RAY FITTIPALDO

Reserve quarterback Byron Leftwich had surgery this afternoon to repair a fracture in his left arm, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today after practice.

Leftwich, who was injured in Saturday night's preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons, was the backup to Ben Roethlisberger.

Tomlin said the team would not make a final determination about Leftwich's status with the team for another few days.

"We're going to wait until he comes out of surgery and let it calm down for a couple of days before we make that determination," Tomlin said.

Tomlin did not give Roethlisberger many snaps at practice today, giving them to Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon. Tomlin said the new backup will not be determined until after the final preseason game against Carolina.

"We're determining that," Tomlin said. "That's part of what we're doing today. We're giving Charlie and Dennis a lot of work. We didn't give Ben a lot of work today and that's probably will be how it shakes out in the game.

"In terms of the pecking order with those two, we'll determine that as we get closer to game time. Then we'll make a determination after that game."

When asked if there was anything to be read into Batch taking all of the repetitions with the first-team today, Tomlin said "no."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ack-qb-yet (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111449-tomlin-no-determination-on-back-qb-yet)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
How long is it expected he'll be out ... since it's his non-throwing arm, is it still the full 6 weeks? Just make a steel club out of it!!

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Charlie Batch looks like favorite for backup job

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 30, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/c-batch-d-dixon.jpg?w=250

With Byron Leftwich out indefinitely with a broken left arm, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has to decide whether Charlie Batch or Dennis Dixon will be the team’s backup quarterback.

Tomlin won’t give anything away yet, but Batch looks like the early favorite. He took the first team reps at Monday’s practice, splitting reps overall with Dennis Dixon.

The Steelers coach said not to read anything into the first-team reps, and that he wouldn’t make a final decision until after Thursday’s preseason game. Ben Roethlisberger will barely play Thursday, if at all.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette calls Batch the likely backup because of his success last year in the regular season.

“I was in the same situation last year, didn’t get many preseason opportunities, and all of a sudden, I have to go in there and play,” Batch said Monday.

Steelers fans hope Batch doesn’t get that chance again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ackup-job/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/charlie-batch-looks-like-early-favorite-for-backup-job/)

papillon
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm just glad that Batch and Dixon are fighting for who will start against the Panthers in the final pre-season game and not the following week against the Ravens. :tt2

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Batch to start, Ben to sit in Steelers final preseason game

Tuesday, August 30, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Charlie Batch will start and Ben Roethlisberger won't play when the Steelers conclude their preseason Thursday night in Carolina, Coach Mike Tomlin said today.

Tomlin said three other players won't play because of injuries -- cornerback Ike Taylor, wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery and rookie linebacker Chris Carter -- and indicated several veterans might not play as well.

That list includes safety Troy Polamalu, linebacker James Farrior, nose tackle Casey Hampton, center Maurkice Pouncey and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

"And there may be a few others," Tomlin said.

The decision to start Batch and let him play with the first- and second-team is a good indication he will be the No. 2 quarterback when the regular season begins.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11242/11 ... z1WXnKGf1H (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11242/1170926-100.stm#ixzz1WXnKGf1H)

fordfixer
08-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Tomlin makes decision for cautious Steelers
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 54283.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754283.html)

After watching Byron Leftwich suffer a knee injury in the final preseason game a year ago — when he was slated to start the first month of the regular season in place of the suspended Ben Roethlisberger — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn't about to take that chance again.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger will not play against Carolina on Thursday, giving the starting nod to Charlie Batch followed by Dennis Dixon.

"We haven't decided the distribution of reps," Tomlin said. "All we have decided is that Charlie will start first and Dennis will also play."

Roethlisberger has had a solid preseason, completing 21 of 31 passes for 361 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions. He has a 146.6 passer rating. Roethlisberger had started every preseason finale in Tomlin's first four seasons.

"It's time to start talking Baltimore and start looking at film," Roethlisberger said.

» Tomlin showed a video to the team Tuesday depicting how important the final preseason game was for some players when it came to earning roster spots last year.

"As we sat here last year at this time, Stevenson Sylvester was on the outside looking in," Tomlin said. "He was a third-team inside linebacker. Patrick Bailey was a second-team outside linebacker. Stevenson Sylvester made enough plays in this game to convince us that he should stay."

Tomlin said he is not trying to put too much emphasis on the importance of the Carolina game, but he knows it will be paramount for a few.

"I do acknowledge decisions are undecided, and how guys perform will be a factor on the other side of it," Tomlin said.

» Ruled out for the game are Jerricho Cotchery, Chris Carter and Ike Taylor. Tomlin said he has not made a decision whether James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Bryant McFadden and Maurkice Pouncey will play.

» The Steelers released nose tackle Anthony Gray, linebacker Chris Ellis, cornerback Niles Brinkley and wide receiver Terrence McCrae of Connellsville to get their roster to 80. The team has until Saturday to set their 53-man roster.

» If Pouncey sits out, veteran Trai Essex likely will start at center only nine days after the Steelers signed him.

"Whether or not Maurkice plays in the game or not, Trai is going to get some work at center," Tomlin said.

Essex was the Steelers' starting right guard a year ago and can also play the other guard spot, center and both tackle spots.

Read more: Tomlin makes decision for cautious Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WZrKmvrc (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754283.html#ixzz1WZrKmvrc)

feltdizz
08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
I'll be at this game... I wish it was the 3rd game and not the 4th but oh well...

I have this eary feeling Batch is going to get hurt.

DHSF
08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
I'll be at this game... I wish it was the 3rd game and not the 4th but oh well...

I live near Asheville, NC and have been to 3 Preseason Pittsburgh at Carolina games. They have always been game 4 and it ticks me off. I'm not going this year.

feltdizz
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM

I live near Asheville, NC and have been to 3 Preseason Pittsburgh at Carolina games. They have always been game 4 and it ticks me off. I'm not going this year.

ticket was free...

RuthlessBurgher
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM

I predict Dwyer and Redman have at least 10 carries each while Mendy gets less than 10.

I don't think Mendenhall plays at all. I think Redman and Moore split carries on the first drive and then take a seat as well. The rest of the game will belong to Dwyer, Clay, and Johnson.