PDA

View Full Version : Let the " CUTS " begin!

insanesteelersfan
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Here's a thread to announce our Cuts. Via kffl,,,,

Steelers | Five released
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:37:15 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have released TE Vaughn Charlton, CB Kevin Dockery, WR Eric Greenwood and WR Kenny Moore. TE Miguel Chavis (undisclosed) was waived/injured.

No real surprises in that group.

JTP53609
08-28-2011, 07:58 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! just kidding

fordfixer
08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
5 cut; Batch to IR
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 3f9916d87b (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/5-cut-Batch-to-IR/238fa408-d72d-4bd2-b672-3e3f9916d87b)
Posted 2 hours ago

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers placed one player on their Reserve/Injured List and released five others, reducing their roster to 84 players. The team needs to release four more players before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline to get their roster to the league-mandated 80 players.

Rookie running back Baron Batch was placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List after suffering a season-ending knee injury in training camp. Batch was the team’s seventh-round draft pick in this past year’s NFL Draft.

The five players released include tight end Vaughn Charlton, cornerback Kevin Dockery, wide receiver Eric Greenwood, wide receiver Kenneth Moore and tight end Miguel Chavis, who was waived/injured.

insanesteelersfan
08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Here's a few more announced Cuts. Kinda surprised Anthony Gray was released.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Four players released
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:56:20 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have released LB Chris Ellis, WR Terrence McCrae, CB Niles Brinkley and DT Anthony Gray.

flippy
08-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Can't wait for the final cuts.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pittsburgh Steelers have released LB Chris Ellis, WR Terrence McCrae, CB Niles Brinkley and DT Anthony Gray.

Thoughr Gray and McRae would last at least another round.

phillyesq
08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Gray is surprising. I think many of us assumed that he'd be a practice squad candidate. He still might be, but it certainly seems less likely now.

insanesteelersfan
08-30-2011, 12:04 PM
The fact that Gray was released so early on might mean that reported training camp phenom, Corbin Bryant might make the final roster. I keep hearing from the steelers radio guys that Bryant has been the best D-Linemen in camp. And when he does play in the pre-season games, he has looked very good.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-30-2011, 12:07 PM
The fact that Gray was released so early on might mean that reported training camp phenom, Corbin Bryant might make the final roster. I keep hearing from the steelers radio guys that Bryant has been the best D-Linemen in camp. And when he does play in the pre-season games, he has looked very good.

If not final roster than maybe PS. There is also McLendon who is projected by many to make the roster.

Oviedo
08-30-2011, 12:46 PM

If not final roster than maybe PS. There is also McLendon who is projected by many to make the roster.

Bryant has a lot of film on him out of the preseason games. I doubt we could stash him on our PS. We tried that with Sunny Harris and lost him to Carolina. With so many teams playing the 3-4 he would have value for too many of them.

phillyesq
08-30-2011, 01:04 PM

Bryant has a lot of film on him out of the preseason games. I doubt we could stash him on our PS. We tried that with Sunny Harris and lost him to Carolina. With so many teams playing the 3-4 he would have value for too many of them.

If I recall, Carolina was actually a 4-3 team, and saw Harris as a fit in that system. In any event, Sunny Harris was not too great a loss.

Bryant seems to have decent potential, and there will be some interesting roster decisions to be made. Some have speculated that Hoke may not be secure, with his spot gonig to McClendon, and Bryant finding a spot as well. I'd hate to see the Steelers lose Hoke because he is extremely solid.

RuthlessBurgher
08-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised to see Chris Ellis cut so soon in the process. He seems to have received a pretty solid amount of playing time in the second half of the preseason games, and I recall seeing his #90 flying around quite a bit. Not that I thought he had any real shot at making the final 53 or anything, but I thought he might have been a P.S. consideration possibly. Guess not.

steelz09
08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Surprised to see Gray cut so early as well......

What are the Steelers plans for life after the Hampton/Hoke error? That is rapidly approaching!

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Surprised to see Gray cut so early as well......

What are the Steelers plans for life after the Hampton/Hoke era? That is rapidly approaching!

the Steelers are very high on Steve McLendon, they may very well keep him this year and cut Hokie.

ikestops85
08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I've been very impressed with the young D linemen we have had in camp. I just think we have too many good ones and they are giving some a shot to catch on with another team.

Gray and Ellis have shown a great deal of potential but we don't have a spot for them. I'm like some here and think Hoke may have seen his last days as a Steeler.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
I had not heard the Hoke talk but thought about the possibility as well. We might just need to sacrifice one solid vet in order to keep the future.

Hoke has been solid here for years but is right now simply a backup with no hope of ever being a starter. McClendon and Bryant may be on the 53 man roster for years to come.

Funny how quickly things change. A couple of years ago the greatest complaint (other than the constant problems with the O line) was our aging D line. Now it looks like we have 3-4 players already in place between the ages of 22 - 25.

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2011, 01:17 AM
The bubble watch

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 01, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Here are some players who need big games tonight to earn spots on the roster:

Chris Hoke - Youngsters Steve McLendon and Corbin Bryant are pushing hard for roster spots. Hokie is a locker room favorite and would be a tough cut, and he's carved out a 10-year career by beating the odds. But the Steelers need to get younger and he could be a casualty.

William Gay - It's telling that the Steelers always slide Gay inside to the slot when they bring their nickel corner on the field. They don't trust anyone else just yet to play the slot. But that could change. Bryant McFadden is off the watch list because the coaching staff is still concerned about ability of the young guys to stay healthy, but Gay could be pushed out if Cortez Allen comes out with a big effort.

Jonathan Dwyer - Mike Tomlin is pushing Dwyer hard to become more than what he is. John Clay and possibly even James Johnson will get an opportunity to unseat Dwyer as the No. 4 running back. Right now, he's got the spot by default.

Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith - A big game from Cromartie-Smith could make things interesting for Will Allen and/or Ryan Mundy. Cromartie-Smith has been getting looks on all of the first team special teams units.

Chris Scott - He opened training camp with an opportunity to win the starting right guard spot. But he whiffed on that. The signing of Trai Essex puts him in position to possibly get cut.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

NJ-STEELER
09-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Can McClendon play NT?

If not. Who is casey's back up if hoke is cut

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Can McClendon play NT?

Yes. He can play all 3 DL positions in our defense.

Steelgal
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Per Tweet from Kaboly "Morty Ivy released".

Hope he can make it to the PS.

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Hope he can make it to the PS.

That sucks. Kid impressed this preseason.

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2011, 03:57 PM

yeah, Mortty Ivy and Swayze Waters are the two Steelers' names released so far as being cut.

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2011, 03:59 PM

yeah, Mortty Ivy and Swayze Waters are the two Steelers' names released so far as being cut.

Swayze disappeared too? Nooooooo! :mrgreen:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/patrick-swayze-demi-moore-ghost-2.jpg

hawaiiansteel
09-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Swayze disappeared too? Nooooooo! :mrgreen:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/patrick-swayze-demi-moore-ghost-2.jpg

I was surprised too, I thought Swayze deserved the job after his impressive performances in Dirty Dancing and Ghost... :)

PSU_dropout43
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib Mark Kaboly
#Steelers need to make 5 more cuts before tomorrow at 4
59 seconds ago

Steeloers cut Bryant, Harvey, Ivy, Atkins, C.MCcoy, Warren, Harris, Greenwood, Cromatie-Smith, Waters,
1 minute ago

#Steelers cutt Clay, Johnson, Robinson, Lyons, Grisham, McCoy, Miller, Turner, Maloecki, Jolly, Williams
3 minutes ago

steelfin
09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I dont see any surprise cuts at this point. I liked Warren but it looks like we are sticking with the young talent that we drafted. Hopefully someone steps up and becomes a play maker in the secondary....

BradshawsHairdresser
09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Ivy released?

Goes to show that cuts aren't made based on performance in preseason games...

chiken
09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Ivy released?

Making the Steelers as a linebacker was a longggggggggggggggggggggg shot.. But he showed enough to get him some work Say in Philadelphia.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Per Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 60240e5d57 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Reduce-Roster-to-58-Leftwich-on-IR/75212781-58ae-4ec7-9039-9960240e5d57)

Steelers Reduce Roster to 58; Leftwich on IR

Posted 16 minutes ago

The Steelers have placed quarterback Byron Leftwich on their Reserve/Injured List and released 21 others, reducing their roster to 58 players. Leftwich suffered a broken arm in the Steelers’ third preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons and will miss the 2011 season.

The team needs to release five more players before Saturday’s 6 p.m. deadline to get their roster to the league-mandated 53 players.

The 21 players released today include linebackers Baraka Atkins, Mario Harvey, Chris McCoy and Mortty Ivy, defensive lineman Corbin Bryant, defensive backs Brett Greenwood, Macho Harris, Donovan Warren and Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, running backs James Johnson and John Clay, offensive linemen Colin Miller, Kyle Jolly, John Malecki, Trevis Turner and Keith Williams, wide receivers Armand Robinson, Wes Lyons and Tyler Grisham, tight end Jamie McCoy and kicker Swayze Waters.

RuthlessBurgher
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
#Steelers need to make 5 more cuts before tomorrow at 4
59 seconds ago

Steeloers cut Bryant, Harvey, Ivy, Atkins, C.MCcoy, Warren, Harris, Greenwood, Cromatie-Smith, Waters,
1 minute ago

#Steelers cutt Clay, Johnson, Robinson, Lyons, Grisham, McCoy, Miller, Turner, Maloecki, Jolly, Williams
3 minutes ago

From these lists, I'm hoping that we can get the following on the practice squad: Corbin Bryant, Mario Harvey, Mortty Ivy, Donovan Warren, Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, Wes Lyons, Jamie McCoy, and Keith Williams.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-02-2011, 04:37 PM
still hope for saunders.

insanesteelersfan
09-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Ivy released?

I like Ivy but, who would you suggest we cut in order to keep him ? Certainly not S.Sylevester, no way Ivy outplayed him. So who ?....Foote ?

BradshawsHairdresser
09-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Ivy released?

I like Ivy but, who would you suggest we cut in order to keep him ? Certainly not S.Sylevester, no way Ivy outplayed him. So who ?....Foote ?

With the new kickoff rules, I'm not sure we need to keep Battle as a 6th WR. That would open one roster spot.

insanesteelersfan
09-02-2011, 04:55 PM
So, camp wonder Boy Corbin Bryant was released I see. But what about the dude we claimed from the Seahawks a few weeks ago,,,Jarrett Crittenton ?
Is he still around ?

insanesteelersfan
09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
This from Titans camp......

Titans to cut Myron Rolle

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 2, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT

At Florida State, Myron Rolle was one of the best stories in college football: A student-athlete who actually put the student first by missing part of a football game to interview for a Rhodes Scholarship, and then skipping a year of football so he could study at Oxford.

It would have been another great story if Rolle had been able to return from Oxford and have a successful NFL career, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

Rolle never got on the field for a regular-season game last year after the Titans took him in the sixth round of the NFL draft. And now the Titans have told Rolle they’re going to release him, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

It’s still possible that Rolle will catch on somewhere and have a fine NFL career, but at this point it seems unlikely. If his NFL career is over, we have little doubt that he’ll put his degree in medical anthropology to good use.

So, I guess ALL those Brains didn't mean all that much huh ? At least not as it goes to being able to grasp a NFL defensive scheme :HeadBanger

insanesteelersfan
09-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Cardinals | Trim roster

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:06:21 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals released CB Fred Bennett, S Jared Campbell, C Ben Claxton, QB Brodie Croyle, LB Will Davis, P Ben Graham, CB Marshay Green, DL Kenny Iwebema, OG Cliff Louis, DT Ricky Lumpkin, FB Reagan Mauia, DL Jeremy Navarre, WR Aaron Nichols, CB Bryant Nnabuife, LB Cyril Obiozor, C Kristofer O'Dowd, OG Tom Pestock, RB William Powell, TE Stephen Skelton, LB Kendall Smith, LB Pago Togafau, CB Thad Turner, S Matt Ware, WR Isaiah Williams and OT D.J. Young. The team also placed WR Sean Jeffcoat (shoulder) and OG Floyd Womack (shoulder) on Injured Reserve.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/13540/nfl/br ... z1Wpbft49a (http://www.kffl.com/player/13540/nfl/brodie-croyle#ixzz1Wpbft49a)

Arizona releases Brodie Croyle ?....Hell release Dixon and sign Croyle :Boobs

Dee Dub
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Ivy released?

I would rather have Ivy than Foote. Foote is nothing more than a mop-up guy. Ivy has a chance to be a starter down the line. Those days are over for Foote.

Dee Dub
09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Cardinals | Trim roster

Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:06:21 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals released CB Fred Bennett, S Jared Campbell, C Ben Claxton, QB Brodie Croyle, LB Will Davis, P Ben Graham, CB Marshay Green, DL Kenny Iwebema, OG Cliff Louis, DT Ricky Lumpkin, FB Reagan Mauia, DL Jeremy Navarre, WR Aaron Nichols, CB Bryant Nnabuife, LB Cyril Obiozor, C Kristofer O'Dowd, OG Tom Pestock, RB William Powell, TE Stephen Skelton, LB Kendall Smith, LB Pago Togafau, CB Thad Turner, S Matt Ware, WR Isaiah Williams and OT D.J. Young. The team also placed WR Sean Jeffcoat (shoulder) and OG Floyd Womack (shoulder) on Injured Reserve.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/13540/nfl/br ... z1Wpbft49a (http://www.kffl.com/player/13540/nfl/brodie-croyle#ixzz1Wpbft49a)

Arizona releases Brodie Croyle ?....Hell release Dixon and sign Croyle :Boobs

I agree with you on this. And Kris O'Dowd was a stud at USC. He can play guard or center.

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2011, 02:45 AM
On the Steelers: Punter, NT cuts left for today 5 more cuts to come today

Saturday, September 03, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers made many cuts Friday, but the deepest ones will come by 6 p.m. today, when they must knock five more players from their roster to reach the 53-man limit.

Familiar names in jeopardy could be punter Daniel Sepulveda and nose tackle Chris Hoke. The Steelers still have two punters on the roster and eight defensive linemen. Jeremy Kapinos is trying to take Sepulveda's job, and two youngsters, nose tackle Steve McLendon and rookie free agent Jarrett Crittenton, have their sights on Hoke's. They won't keep eight linemen, so at least one must go and perhaps two.

Two other positions that shape up as intriguing heading into the final cuts are cornerback and tight end. They have seven cornerbacks left, including their draft picks in the third and fourth rounds this year, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. They usually keep six, although they could add one if they deduct from another position.

One tight end must go, either veteran John Gilmore, signed near the start of training camp as a free agent, or rookie Wesleye Saunders, who has been impressive as a receiver, including his 15-yard touchdown catch Thursday night against Carolina.

They are set at running back with four, quarterback with three, linebacker with eight and safety with four. They seemingly are set at wide receiver with six, which includes special teams contributor Arnaz Battle. They have 10 offensive linemen left.

One quarterback had to go and, as was the case last year, an injury determined that. They placed Byron Leftwich on injured reserve, ending his season. His left upper arm was broken in the third preseason game, and the prognosis for his return would have been measured in months, not weeks.

The 21 players released Friday included one rookie draft pick, offensive guard Keith Williams, taken in the sixth round from Nebraska. Previously, seventh-round pick Barron Batch was placed on injured reserve. Five draft picks remain on the roster.

The players released Friday: Linebackers Baraka Atkins, Mario Harvey, Chris McCoy and Mortty Ivy, defensive lineman Corbin Bryant, defensive backs Brett Greenwood, Macho Harris, Donovan Warren and Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, running backs James Johnson and John Clay, offensive linemen Williams, Colin Miller, Kyle Jolly, John Malecki, and Trevis Turner, wide receivers Armand Robinson, Wes Lyons and Tyler Grisham, tight end Jamie McCoy and kicker Swayze Waters.

One punter must go

After Sepulveda re-signed with the Steelers this summer as a free agent, it was a foregone conclusion that he would return to punt for them after his second ACL surgery in two years.

No one bothered to ask Kapinos what he thought.

Kapinos signed to punt for them last December after Sepulveda's knee injury, and he did so through the Super Bowl. It's down to the wire now on which one they will keep.

Some other team is going to get a good punter for nothing early next week because the Steelers cannot keep both. The signs were ominous Thursday night in Charlotte for Sepulveda.

It's not just that Kapinos booted both of his punts 63 yards, one without a return, and had a net average of 59 yards compared to Sepulveda's two that averaged 40.5 gross, 31.5 net.

The other bad sign for Sepulveda was Kapinos held the ball for No. 1 kicker Shaun Suisham while Sepulveda held for backup kicker Waters, who was cut Friday.

Why would Mike Tomlin not have Sepulveda holding for Suisham unless his job were in serious jeopardy?

Sepulveda and Suisham were together for just two games last season, and they needed all the real-time practice they could get. Thursday night was the perfect opportunity, and they did not do it.

It looked more as if Tomlin were getting Kapinos ready to hold for the regular season and be his punter.

Either way, someone will get a good kicker off the waiver wire or as a free agent next week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11246/11 ... z1WrTluatB (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11246/1172001-66-0.stm#ixzz1WrTluatB)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Was Lyons that 6'8" WR? He made 1 or 2 excellent catches in the Panthers game, sad to think he'll be with some other team in September ('cuz it's hard to think someone won't claim him off the PS if he makes it there).

NorthCoast
09-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I expect the Steelers to keep all of the DBs. I expect a lot of teams will study what GB and NE did to our defense and try to emulate it. It gives them the best chance to win. We will need all of the guys at some point during the season. And we definitely need at least one to step up as a true NFL cover CB. We need some guys that can play bump-and-run, instead of the 10 yd zone crap. That type of defense just does not work against an above average QB in the NFL. QB's that can deal with our secondary include Ryan, Brees, Brady, Rodgers and even Manning....5 years ago the list was half that....the trend is not good.