PDA

View Full Version : perfectionist Ben

siss
08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
“It’s still another performance, in my opinion, where I’m happy that we scored but I still am a little disappointed that we haven’t done as well as I think we should have.” – Ben, during his post-game comments.

I wonder what it would take for Ben to say he is happy with the offense? I wasn't thrilled with the run game even though. And according to Tunch and Wolf, Ben took the o-line to task over the protection. So I guess the offense does need a little work, but at this point its like adding a Nitrous gas to a Camaro :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 .

*Imagines Steelers hoisting Lombardi in Peytons house!

papillon
08-28-2011, 11:43 AM
If the offense has to rely on 51 yard KO returns for field position, INT returns to the 4, 77 yard scoring plays and 45 yard scoring plays the Steelers will have offensive issues against the better teams. I thought the offense didn't really have rhythm last night and was very inconsistent, the running game with the starters was almost non-existent.

Over the course of the year and playoffs you have to play better offense than they did last night,IMO.

Pappy

siss
08-28-2011, 12:24 PM
I didn't get to watch the game. I only heard the game. And they sounded like a well oiled machine to me.

papillon
08-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I didn't get to watch the game. I only heard the game. And they sounded like a well oiled machine to me.

A lot big plays offensively and defensively, but no real rhythm (IMO) and, of course, the painful to watch inability of the defense to get off the field on 3rd down. We complain as fans, because we'd rather see a 3 and out, but somehow the defense manages to limit the number of points on the board.

Pappy

siss
08-28-2011, 12:39 PM

A lot big plays offensively and defensively, but no real rhythm (IMO) and, of course, the painful to watch inability of the defense to get off the field on 3rd down. We complain as fans, because we'd rather see a 3 and out, but somehow the defense manages to limit the number of points on the board.

Pappy
How much of that is because its pre-season?

papillon
08-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Pappy
How much of that is because its pre-season?

I'm only giving you information about the first half in which the starters played for both teams. The game looked like a regular season game, but only with a little less intensity. The Falcons are a good team and Steelers won the first half and the game would have been a dog fight to the end if it were a regular season game.

Pappy

StarSpangledSteeler
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I think Ben is mostly talking about the OL here. Mendenhall had something like 7 carries for 8 yards total. Ben has his sights set firmly on WINNING the Super Bowl, and I think he knows that will be difficult unless we get better OL play.

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Starkey: Steelers' great advantage

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 28, 2011

In Cleveland, new head coach/offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur is busy teaching his offense to second-year quarterback Colt McCoy.

In Cincinnati, new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden started from scratch about a month ago with rookie quarterback Andy Dalton.

Similar scenes unfold all over the post-lockout NFL, where the work stoppage killed formalized offseason workouts. Half the league is on training wheels.

It's different here.

Here, all the lockout did was give a predominantly veteran team some much-needed rest.

Here, the Steelers' starters looked downright dangerous at times Saturday night, rolling up a 24-16 halftime lead on a very good Atlanta Falcons team.

Here, veteran offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has reached the point where he believes eighth-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger — who connected with Antonio Brown on touchdowns of 77 and 44 yards in the second quarter — could run the offense without him.

"I would feel comfortable with him going out and calling the plays in all phases, not just the spread offense," Arians said. "The only question is how he would substitute players without signals.

"Yeah, he could take a game plan and execute it perfectly right now."

Do you see the Steelers' gargantuan advantage, not just over Cleveland and Cincinnati but much of NFL?

The stability that has defined this franchise for some 40 years has always provided an edge. It's almost an unfair one this year. With much of the rest of the league in scramble mode, the Steelers simply stay the course.

You might have heard Green Bay Packers coaches and former Steelers' stalwarts Kevin Greene and Darren Perry talking before last year's Super Bowl. They said they could probably step into Dick LeBeau's defense and execute it that day because the Steelers' scheme hadn't changed that much since their playing careers (not to mention Perry's coaching days here).

Think about that compared to what's happening in, say, Cleveland, where the Browns are shifting to a 4-3 defense after years in the 3-4.

Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith thrives on the constancy.

"We always joke that you can come back 20 years from now and they'll still doing the same thing, on the same day, in the same place," Smith said. "It has some comfort to it. You just kind of come back each year and get right back into the groove."

That's a huge benefit any year. But I asked veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton if he believes the Steelers' "program" could be particularly beneficial this season.

"That's definitely the case," he said. "You have a lot of veteran guys who've been in same system for years. We've run pretty much the same defense since I've been here. Eleven years. Really nothing different. Yeah, you don't really need the offseason like some other teams would."

Look at the Steelers' schedule. A full 25 percent of it features teams with new head coaches (Cleveland twice, Tennessee, San Francisco), and 13 of the 16 opponents have at least one new coordinator.

So while Gruden is tutoring Dalton through football kindergarten, Roethlisberger is working on his Ph.D. -- and even picking Professor LeBeau's brain on how opponents might attack him this season.

"We draw on each other's experience," LeBeau said. "I don't coach him. I'm not in the meeting rooms with him. But we're probably as close as I've been with any quarterback since I've been here."

There you have it. Other teams' offensive coordinators are still getting to know their players on a first-name basis, and this team's defensive coordinator trades ideas with the quarterback in a relationship that goes back to 2004.

Stability is a wonderful thing.

Especially this year.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1WLKB3WjA (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/starkey/s_753882.html#ixzz1WLKB3WjA)

SteelerNation1
08-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm one of the most optimistic steelers fans around, but we didn't play well last night. A better CB probably picks off Ben on the 77 yrd td and the defense was awful. James Harrison's back has me VERY concerned. The dline looked old. And if will gay plays any significant time we are in deep trouble.

papillon
08-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm one of the most optimistic steers fans around, but we didn't play well last night. A better CB probably picks off Ben on the 77 yrd td and the defense was awful. James Harrison's back has me VERY concerned. The dline looked old. And if will gay plays any significant time we are in deep trouble.

I agree, in that, I'm not as euphoric about the game as some. However, the 77 yarder was a perfectly thrown ball. I'm not sure another better DB makes the play, maybe they do or maybe they don't. What bothered me more was the lack of rhythm and consistency to the offense. The Steelers will not be able to rely on big plays every week to win a game. They are going to have to be able to put together drives that take time off the clock and move the ball efficiently.

The lack of pressure on Ryan was bothersome although quite a few of his errant passes were due to pressure and he simply unloaded before getting hit. Giving 220 yards on 42 attempts and 10 points is very good. The offense has to be able to put up 17-20 in that situation.

If a team is going to throw the ball 42 times they are going to make yards and put points on the board with a good quarterback, Ryan, Brady, Rogers, Brees, 0even guys like Rivers, Flacco, Freeman, etc that are knocking on the doorstep of being a very good quarterbacks will put up numbers and points.

The Falcons are a good football team and the Steelers won the battle of first teams 17-10. They can improve, but it wasn't as efficient and smooth as you would like.

Pappy

winwithd
08-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Could the fact that Greene and Perry knew our defense so well that they thought they could step right in and play it have given Rogers and the GB offense an edge? Is it really that much the same or were they just joking? Or does Troy's freelancing change things up enough to make it unpredictable?

BURGH86STEEL
08-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm one of the most optimistic steers fans around, but we didn't play well last night. A better CB probably picks off Ben on the 77 yrd td and the defense was awful. James Harrison's back has me VERY concerned. The dline looked old. And if will gay plays any significant time we are in deep trouble.

I agree, in that, I'm not as euphoric about the game as some. However, the 77 yarder was a perfectly thrown ball. I'm not sure another better DB makes the play, maybe they do or maybe they don't. What bothered me more was the lack of rhythm and consistency to the offense. The Steelers will not be able to rely on big plays every week to win a game. They are going to have to be able to put together drives that take time off the clock and move the ball efficiently.

The lack of pressure on Ryan was bothersome although quite a few of his errant passes were due to pressure and he simply unloaded before getting hit. Giving 220 yards on 42 attempts and 10 points is very good. The offense has to be able to put up 17-20 in that situation.

If a team is going to throw the ball 42 times they are going to make yards and put points on the board with a good quarterback, Ryan, Brady, Rogers, Brees, 0even guys like Rivers, Flacco, Freeman, etc that are knocking on the doorstep of being a very good quarterbacks will put up numbers and points.

The Falcons are a good football team and the Steelers won the battle of first teams 17-10. They can improve, but it wasn't as efficient and smooth as you would like.

Pappy
I thought the ball was under thrown. Ben missed on a couple of throws he should had made. Regardless, Ben's played well this preseason.

I never get to high with the highs or too low with the lows. I believe the offense has the potential to be more explosive this season. Wallace, Brown, Sanders (if he returns healthy), and Cotchery add more speed to the WR core then I can ever remember. A lot of the offenses success is going to depend on how well the offensive line performs and if Ben can become a more consistent passer.

I believe the defense is still good enough to keep the team in most games.

birtikidis
08-28-2011, 04:30 PM
If Been had .1 more second we would also be talking about a great pass and touchdown to Ward that would have been amazing. We have a big play offense. BA has been ramming it into our heads since he's been here. NOW we have the personnel to do it though.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Big Ben, Steelers' O more dangerous than ever

August 28, 2011
Posted by Ryan Wilson

The Steelers may have annual issues along its offensive line, but the passing game has been among the NFL's best during the Ben Roethlisberger era. Since drafting him 11th overall in 2004, Pittsburgh has ranked no worse than ninth in passing efficiency in six of seven seasons (as determined by the friendly eggheads at FootballOusiders.com).

But the outfit historically known for the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust approach to matriculating the ball down the field has been a mediocre running team over that time (their average rushing efficiency rank since '04: 14th in the NFL). If the first three weeks of the preseason is any indication, there's a great chance both units will improve in 2011, which is scary news for the rest of the AFC.

Roethlisberger has been near-flawless in three games that have no bearing on the standings but provide a glimpse of what's to come once the final scores count. He's 21 of 31 (67.7%) for 361 yards and four touchdowns, hasn't come close to throwing an interception, and his passer rating is an otherworldly 146.6. And while Ben's accustomed to showing well in the preseason, and having it carry over to the regular season (notable exceptions: offseasons involving near-death motorcycle accidents and league-sanctioned four-game suspensions), 2011 could be the year he unanimously joins the conversation as one of the NFL's best quarterbacks.

Part of it will be because he's healthier than he was a year ago when the Steelers went 12-4 and lost to the Packers in the Super Bowl. But he also seems to be making better reads, throwing more accurately and playing with more poise. Oh, and not only is this the best group of pass-catchers Roethlisberger's ever seen in Pittsburgh, but arguably the most complete wide receivers corps in the league. (In regards to the former, the bar isn't particularly high -- this is a man whose three best wideouts during the 2005 Super Bowl season included Hines Ward, Cedrick Wilson and Antwaan Randle El. The latter claim requires some justification, however, and that's what we aim to do.)

Roethlisberger still has Ward, but there's also the most explosive deep threat in the game, Mike Wallace; two young players who came out of nowhere to add depth as rookies last season in Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown; and recently signed Jerricho Cotchery.

A year ago, Wallace had 60 catches for 1,275 yards (a mind-blowing 21.0-yards-per-catch average) and 10 touchdowns. And while defenses would love to double- and triple-team him this season, they'll do so at their own risk because Brown has emerged as Wallace 2.0, but possibly more dynamic. He showed glimpses of talent during the second half of 2010, no play more memorable than his catch during the AFC Divisional Game against the Ravens, a 58-yarder on third and forever that sealed Baltimore's fate and Pittsburgh's place in the conference finals.

Heading into last offseason, Sanders was ahead of Brown on the depth chart. For the season, Sanders had 28 catches for 376 yards and two touchdowns, and played well enough to take the No. 3 WR job from Randle El. But a broken foot suffered during the Super Bowl, and a stress fracture in his other foot that required surgery earlier this month, has kept Sanders on the sidelines while Brown has played like a Pro Bowler -- he has nine receptions for 230 yards (a 25.6 YPC average) and three touchdowns in the preseason, and he also ripped off a 51-yard kickoff return to start Saturday's game against the Falcons. Brown finished the evening with four catches for 137 yards, including a pair of touchdown grabs, one for 77 yards, the other for 44 yards.

Three years ago, shortly after the Steelers used their first two draft picks on running back Rashard Mendenhall and wide receiver Limas Sweed, head coach Mike Tomlin was asked why the team chose not to bolster the offensive line to protect Roethlisberger. At the time, his response might've sounded flippant, but in retrospect, the man knew what he was talking about.

“There are two schools of thought to protect a quarterback,” Tomlin said at the time. ”You can get linemen or you can get him weapons — people that people have to account for. Obviously with [the Mendenhall] pick, we’ve gotten a weapon. So what he is able to do on a football field will help our quarterback and our football team.”

The Steelers have drafted offensive linemen in early rounds since -- center Maurkice Pouncey made the Pro Bowl as a rookie last year, and because of injuries, rookie tackle Marcus Gilbert has seen time with the first team this preseason.

But Tomlin's larger point remains: defenses can choose to blitz Roethlisberger silly because of Pittsburgh's unexceptional offensive line, but it'll come at a cost in the form of big plays. On the other hand, defenses can choose to crowd the line of scrimmage in the hopes that the Steelers run, something they did with alarming frequency on first downs during the first half of 2010 (some of that can be attributed to a Roethlisberger-less offense during the first month of the season). But the Steelers now have the weapons to do something other than run Mendenhall into an eight-man wall.

But the running game, which has lagged behind the passing game in recent years, could also be effective this season. Part of the reason is that Mendenhall and Isaac Redman continue to get better. But it's also because defenses can't just load up the box to stop the run, and double-team Wallace because Ward and Randle El couldn't beat a linebacker in a foot race.

The emergence of Brown and Sanders, to go along with zone-busters Ward and Cotchery, create the sort of mismatches that lead to a lot of big plays and a ton of points. It will also open up running lanes for Mendenhall and Redman.

Teams will continue to blitz Roethlisberger, at least early in the season, just because he welcomes contact and the line continues to be the offense's weakest link. But at some point in the coming months, defenses might have to rethink that strategy. Eight-man fronts and constant pressure could be a thing of the past, which is what happens when, as Tomlin pointed out back in 2008, you surround your quarterback with a bunch of weapons.

Without question, the Steelers are going to go into this season as one of the teams to beat in the AFC, especially with Roethlisberger healthy and available from the beginning and having a strong corps of receivers. However, let's not put them in the Super Bowl again just yet. Preseason performances mean very little to any team that doesn't have players competing for key positions (just look at the Colts!), and the Steelers do star out with a tough schedule early: at Baltimore week one and at Indianapolis week 3. Those will be big early tests this season.

And let's not forget that the Steelers don't have a good recent track record in seasons that follow Super Bowl appearances. The last two times they failed to even make the playoffs.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... h_Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31599069?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers)

steelblood
08-29-2011, 08:03 AM
I really don't think he is being a perfectionist. Ben, made several poor throws (though one ended up a TD). He was a little off Saturday.

Harrison does look weak right now. But, I'm more concerned this O-line will get Ben killed and our defense will again have trouble with spread offenses.

flippy
08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
As great as Ben is at making plays, he never keeps the offense executing consistently play in and play out or even series by series.

No matter how well he plays, we still have a lot of inconsistency in our O.

Will Ben ever get over this hump? I dunno. I suspect we'll always live off Ben's big plays and be a bit sporadic and inconsistent on O.

Maybe 8 years in, times could change. But my suspicion is with more weapons we'll get more big plays and Ben will put up better overall numbers. But we'll still be a little inconsistent and will live and die by the big play.

SteelTorch
08-29-2011, 08:09 AM
If the offense has to rely on 51 yard KO returns for field position, INT returns to the 4, 77 yard scoring plays and 45 yard scoring plays the Steelers will have offensive issues against the better teams. I thought the offense didn't really have rhythm last night and was very inconsistent, the running game with the starters was almost non-existent.

Over the course of the year and playoffs you have to play better offense than they did last night,IMO.

Pappy
How can that be true? Our OC is a freakin' genius!! It's clearly all Lebeau's fault. :stirpot

papillon
08-29-2011, 03:28 PM

Pappy
How can that be true? Our OC is a freakin' genius!! It's clearly all Lebeau's fault. :stirpot

I don't know if its true or not, it's just my opinion of what I watched against the Falcons. The defense was the typical Steeler defense, keep it front of you, make them use 10 or more plays, limit big plays, and try to hold the opponent to FGs instead of TDs. It's hard to watch at times, but that's how they do it over and over and over again.

Getting off the field on 3rd down was the problem for the defense and consistency was the problem for the offense, IMO.

Arians and Lebeau both may be geniuses or they may not be, I'm certainly not the person to make that judgment, but they each have some work to do.

Pappy

feltdizz
08-29-2011, 04:26 PM
The DL concerns me the most...

The O looked awesome due to the big plays but it's the little things that catch up to you and if we can't run, can't protect and need unrealistic production by a 2nd year guy to win a game it could be another "what happened" type season with the offense.

Ben had big numbers but he wasn't as accurate as I would've liked... the Hines pass should have been made. Don't understand how you overthrow him when he is that wide open.

The 77 yard catch was more impressive than the throw... but as long as it's caught I won't complain.

steelblood
08-29-2011, 05:01 PM
totally disagree dizz. the 77 yard TD was maybe ben's best throw of the night. tight window, great pace and anticipation.

feltdizz
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
totally disagree dizz. the 77 yard TD was maybe ben's best throw of the night. tight window, great pace and anticipation.
I may have the TD passes mixed up. The bomb to Brown in the endzone is the one I think the catch was better than the throw.

The other pass to Brown was on the money.

ikestops85
08-29-2011, 05:47 PM
The DL concerns me the most...

The O looked awesome due to the big plays but it's the little things that catch up to you and if we can't run, can't protect and need unrealistic production by a 2nd year guy to win a game it could be another "what happened" type season with the offense.

Ben had big numbers but he wasn't as accurate as I would've liked... the Hines pass should have been made. Don't understand how you overthrow him when he is that wide open.

The 77 yard catch was more impressive than the throw... but as long as it's caught I won't complain.

I believe Ben had to throw the ball off his back foot before Hines made the cut to get open. That's not to say they shouldn't have connected on the play ... just that it wasn't as easy as it looked on tv.

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 12:07 AM
In eighth season as a starter, Roethlisberger comfortable as ever

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, September 4, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37247958E.jpg

On target since the Steelers convened in late July for training camp, Ben Roethlisberger has looked every bit like a quarterback in command of the offense.

In three Steelers preseason games -- he didn't play in the final warm-up in Carolina as a precaution -- Roethlisberger threw for 361 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions while posting a 146.6 passer rating.

Roethlisberger, entering his eighth season as a starter, seems as confident and comfortable as ever. Right tackle Willie Colon said there is good reason for that.

"He knows we have his back on and off the field, and a lot of us feel like that, so when you've got your brothers playing around you, it's kind of like backyard football. That's he how feels," said Colon, a groomsman in Roethlisberger's July wedding. "We know how much he does for this offense, so the consensus this year is we've got to play our (butts) off because we know that he's going to lead us to victory."

Roethlisberger has done that more often than not since the Steelers took him 11th overall in the 2004 draft -- and he has his sights on winning a third Super Bowl title after feeling like he let one get away in February.

Roethlisberger, who turned 29 and married during the offseason, sat down with Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Steelers writer Scott Brown to talk about a number of subjects. Those included what he would have done differently in Super Bowl XLV, when he will know it's time to retire and whether a quarterback's job is to keep everyone around him happy.

Q: In the Super Bowl, everything is set up for you at the end to pull off another game-winning touchdown drive. Do you replay that drive in your mind?

A: I felt good going out there. It was a little bit more difficult this time. I think we were under two minutes and had one timeout. You think about the Tampa one, we had the two-minute warning still, and I think we still had two timeouts, so that's really three timeouts. In the NFL, that's an eternity. With this one, only having one, maybe two timeouts, no two-minute warning, it's tough. (But) I felt really good about it, I just knew we were going to go down there and score.

Q: What happened?

A: Not having the timeouts hurt, so they know we're trying to go deep and trying to get to the sidelines, and they just kept that from happening, and I probably just didn't make the throws and the plays that I needed to make

Q: Do you put that on your shoulders?

A: Oh, yeah. I mean, the whole game I felt like I could have played a lot better and given us a better chance to win the game. A part of me goes back when I think about it, and I think maybe I tried to be too calm. That probably doesn't make sense to most people. The first (Super Bowl), I was so nervous. The second one, I felt a lot calmer. So this time I was like, 'You know, I've been here two times before. Just go in and be calm.' And I almost took some fire out of myself, which I look back and regret big time because I wanted the guys that had never been there before to look at me and see what was my demeanor going to be like. Was I calm? Was I nervous? I think I just tried to be too calm instead of being that fiery guy that I usually am, and I think that ended up hurting me.

Q: How long can you continue playing with all of the punishment you have absorbed?

A: You know what, people have asked and honestly I don't know how long until my body says no or the Lord says no. I've told my closest friends, I've told my wife, I've told my agent, "Don't let me do what some of these other guys did, just keep forcing the issue." When I'm done, I'm done. I don't want to go to any other team. When I'm done here, I think I'm ready to walk away. I can't think of a better team, a better franchise, a better city to walk away as a part of your whole life.

Q: Do you see yourself at least playing through your current contract, which runs through 2015?

A: I don't know how many more (years) I have. I'm going into eight (overall years). If I have eight more years in my body and could do it, I'd do it. I'm not going to sit here and say that I'm done after 12 (years). Eight years is a great career in the NFL considering the life expectancy of an average player. A quarterback that kind of plays the way I play, eight years ... if this is my last year, so be it. I'm going to fight through as long as I can and play as long as I can.

Q: As a quarterback, is it your job to keep everybody happy or to find the open man and everyone else deal with it?

A: That's the issue. You always hear that: Are there enough balls to go around? Well, I think we've got a good group of guys, and they're all going to want the ball. You want a guy that wants the ball, but the biggest thing is he complaining, is he griping, is he running with his hands (up), the little things, and so far these guys have been awesome. I'm going to do my best to get them the ball, but I'm not going to go out of my way to just force a guy the ball. I'm going to do what I can to win the game, and if guys are open, I'll get them the ball. If they're not, I'm not going to try and force it."

Q: Why can this team win the Super Bowl?

A: We've got a really good, veteran group and a bunch of young guys on offense that just don't know any better than to just play as hard as they can and as fast as they can. So I think we've got a lot of potential on both sides of the ball, and the sky's the limit for us. We've had some good (offenses), but as a collective group this one is pretty daggone good because you can mix in a lot of young guys.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1X2X9Y6Bc (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_755035.html#ixzz1X2X9Y6Bc)

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Ed Ben Says Offense Will Hold Nothing Back

MONDAY, 05 SEPTEMBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Here's an interview a gaggle of us had today with Ben Roethlisberger. His answers are in quotations:

On opening vs. Baltimore:

“As long as everybody stays healthy that’s always a key when you play these guys it’s a physical game. You want to be the best you’ve got to beat the best and we consider them one of the best. You get a divisional game right from the get-go and both teams are in the same boat. It’s a first game for both teams and we’re here and we’ll be ready to play.”

On team's readiness:

“We’ve got no choice. We’ve got to be ready to play. I’m sure they’re going to be ready I know we’ll be ready. We’ve got a couple of more days to prepare and get ready. A first game of the year it’s always a little sloppier, you’re not quite ready, but we have no choice this week but to be ready.”

On whether we'll see new wrinkles on offense:

“B.A. will try anything, I think. We’ve still got a couple of days to gameplan, get really ready but I don’t see us holding anything back.”

Does this game come down to whoever the better QB is?
“This game is all about the defenses and how good they are and who can not turn the ball over on offense. I think that’s the key to this game for us.”

On Baltimore's defense:

“They’re a great defense. They do have a couple of changes, new faces in there, but I know what we’re going to get and I’m sure we’ll see a couple of wrinkles this year, especially being the first game. You don’t have any film to watch other than preseason stuff and a lot of teams hold back stuff in the preseason because they don’t want to give anything away. We just have to go out and be ready and be prepared and be ready to make adjustments on the sideline.”

Does game have a different feel because it’s the Ravens?
“Yeah, it’s a divisional game and anytime we played divisional opponents it means a little more for all of us. But it’s a first game of the year, doesn’t matter who you are playing we’re going to get up and get excited for it.”

On why this game is typically low scoring:

“I think you do get caught up a little bit in being too conservative and not turning thre ball over. I think at some point you’ve got to flip that around and say well let’s just try to go score points on offense. We’ll see as we get closer what approach we’re going to take.”

Do you lobby to do more:
“It doesn’t matter how much lobbying you do sometimes. The coaches have final say. A lot of times we’re going to go with what we see from them. We’ll prepare as we always do.”

http://burgh.us/7e6