PDA

View Full Version : Lolley: Post-Atlanta thoughts

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Post-Atlanta thoughts

SATURDAY, AUGUST 27, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Ben Roethlisberger is 21 of 31 of 361 yards, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in the preseason.

Most of that has come in the past two weeks against Atlanta and Philadelphia, a pair of NFC playoff teams a year ago.

I don't know what else to say about that other than his passer rating is 146.6 in the preseason.

© OK, here's one more thing to say about that. Mike Wallace has two catches for 9 yards and Roethlisberger has a 146.6 passer rating.

The Steelers' opponents this season should be very, very afraid.

© It's too bad about the broken arm suffered by Byron Leftwich. He's a class act and you hate to see that happen.

But it did make the Steelers' situation at QB much easier to navigate.

Given that Leftwich likely will be out until at least October, it's likely the team will place him on the disabled list and roll with Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch as the backups.

© Both Casey Hampton (arm) and Maurkice Pouncey (ankle) were also injured, but neither is serious.

Keenan Lewis' knee injury also is not considered serious, though Miguel Chavis is done with a torn pectoral muscle.

© Mike Tomlin to Antonio Brown as he entered the locker room , "Don't let it consume you."

Good advice to a player who looks every bit of a superstar in the making.

Tomlin had some choice words for the young man after he drew a taunting penalty at the end of his 77-yard catch and run.

It's unlikely Brown will make that mistake again.

© The Falcons threw the ball 42 times in the first half and dropped back to pass 44 times Ė two were scrambles.

That resulted in 220 yards passing and 13 points.

That's D!ck LeBeau defense in a nutshell.

Some will argue that it shows the Steelers still can't defend the pass. But remember that Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden were both out and Keenan Lewis left midway through the first half.

That left William Gay, Crezdon Butler and Donovan Warren covering Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez, a pair of perennial Pro Bowl players, and rookie Julio Jones, whom the Falcons traded the house to move up and get in the draft.

Atlanta's passing offense looks like it will be a good one, but the Steelers defense held their own against it.

You'd like to see some sacks in 42 pass attempts, but the Steelers had pretty good pressure on Ryan throughout the first half.

© Butler made some nice plays, not including his 95-yard interception return for a touchdown, and the Steelers may have to find a way to keep him around another year.

Lewis also had his moments, most notably a nice breakup in the end zone of a pass intended for White Ė though he did blow a coverage just prior to that.

© Rookie defensive lineman Corbin Bryant also continues to flash some skills. With Steve McLendon continuing to make plays, and first-round pick Cameron Heyward, you wonder if Chris Hoke has to worry about a roster spot.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Matt Ryan threw 42 passes in one half

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 27, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/m-ryanground.jpg?w=231

We donít really have a lot to add to the headline. But anytime a quarterback throws 42 passes in a half, we have to write a post about it.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan completed 22-of-42 passes for 220 yards, one touchdown, and an interception on Saturday. Fearing that Ryanís arm might fall off, the Falcons took Ryan out at halftime against Pittsburgh.

Atlanta wasnít very efficient Saturday, but it has been interesting to see them so aggressive throwing the ball in the preseason. There have been a lot more shotgun formations with three or four receivers. Julio Jones and a healthier Harry Douglas will let Atlanta transform their offensive identity this year.

Pittsburgh led 24-16 at halftime on the way to 34-16 win.

UPDATE: The NFL tells us the most passes in a first half last year was 30 by Peyton Manning against the Texans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -one-half/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/27/matt-ryan-threw-42-passes-in-one-half/)

Oviedo
08-28-2011, 10:36 AM
I think Atlanta just gave a preview of what we will see alot of this season. Teams aren't going to waste their time trying to run and getting themselves in a down and distance problem. They are going to pass, pass, pass.

papillon
08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I think Atlanta just gave a preview of what we will see alot of this season. Teams aren't going to waste their time trying to run and getting themselves in a down and distance problem. They are going to pass, pass, pass.

Every team should do this whether it's against the Steelers or anyone else, the rules favor this and there really isn't any reason to run the football. You don't have to run to set up the pass any longer, you can drop back without worry from anywhere on the field and fling it, the rules are such that even if you don't complete the pass there will be a defensive infraction of some sort.

Chris Johnson wants 12, 13 14 million dollars per year as a running back, why would you pay him that money? The running back is simply another receiver in NFL offenses. Lebeau's style of defense will become the norm soon, why take a risk making a big play? See if a quarterback can execute for 12, 13, 14 plays every time and score TDs. Except for the elite quarterbacks the chances of this are slim.

Pappy

MaxAMillion
08-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Every team should do this whether it's against the Steelers or anyone else, the rules favor this and there really isn't any reason to run the football. You don't have to run to set up the pass any longer, you can drop back without worry from anywhere on the field and fling it, the rules are such that even if you don't complete the pass there will be a defensive infraction of some sort.

Chris Johnson wants 12, 13 14 million dollars per year as a running back, why would you pay him that money? The running back is simply another receiver in NFL offenses. Lebeau's style of defense will become the norm soon, why take a risk making a big play? See if a quarterback can execute for 12, 13, 14 plays every time and score TDs. Except for the elite quarterbacks the chances of this are slim.

Pappy

Good point (and one I have made in the past), the days of holding teams to a couple of touchdowns a game are most likely over. The rules are all set up for the offense. If you can protect the QB, you have a real advantage in today's game. Pass protection is the biggest concern I have with this team. I just don't think they can protect consistently.

StarSpangledSteeler
08-28-2011, 01:47 PM

I agree somewhat. Except for two things.

1) In December and January, when the weather gets bad, it can hinder a QB's accuracy and a receiver's catching ability if your playing outside up north.

2) Many people believe the best way to beat a high powered passing attack is to keep them off the field. A strong running game can give you time of possession that limits the opposition's points.

papillon
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM

1) In December and January, when the weather gets bad, it can hinder a QB's accuracy and a receiver's catching ability if your playing outside up north.

2) Many people believe the best way to beat a high powered passing attack is to keep them off the field. A strong running game can give you time of possession that limits the opposition's points.

Keeping the offense off the field is a good idea, but you also have to put up points using the running game and it's much easier to stall a drive that relies heavily on running than one that relies heavily on passing, IMO. A passing offense can make a 3rd and 8, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 or better in one play easier than a running game.

One negative play in the running game and if you're built to pass the ball effectively basically ends your drive. You need to be built to pass the ball and sprinkle in the run on occasion. I liken it to Canadian rules football, but with 4 downs.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Keeping the offense off the field is a good idea, but you also have to put up points using the running game and it's much easier to stall a drive that relies heavily on running than one that relies heavily on passing, IMO. A passing offense can make a 3rd and 8, 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 or better in one play easier than a running game.

One negative play in the running game and if you're built to pass the ball effectively basically ends your drive. You need to be built to pass the ball and sprinkle in the run on occasion. I liken it to Canadian rules football, but with 4 downs.

Pappy

Actually, the Jet's beat NE that way, while they OWN us.

If the Jet's had Ben they would be a DYNASTY, and OWN the high flying passing offenses.

Flexibility, and balance.

The reason why people IMAGINE you must become pass happy is because teams with QUALITY qbs ALL are pass happy.....

......wait, save for ONE. The Steelers.

THE ONE TEAM THAT HAS PLAYED IN HALF THE SBs in the last 6 years and won 2. The most successful team in the league.

One thing people forget about Peyton the king of pass pigs.

In Peyton Mannings sole SB win he did it with balance. One of his RBs had a hundred yards in each playoff game.

DukieBoy
08-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Matt Ryan threw 42 passes in one half

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 27, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/m-ryanground.jpg?w=231

We donít really have a lot to add to the headline. But anytime a quarterback throws 42 passes in a half, we have to write a post about it.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan completed 22-of-42 passes for 220 yards, one touchdown, and an interception on Saturday. Fearing that Ryanís arm might fall off, the Falcons took Ryan out at halftime against Pittsburgh.

Atlanta wasnít very efficient Saturday, but it has been interesting to see them so aggressive throwing the ball in the preseason. There have been a lot more shotgun formations with three or four receivers. Julio Jones and a healthier Harry Douglas will let Atlanta transform their offensive identity this year.

Pittsburgh led 24-16 at halftime on the way to 34-16 win.

UPDATE: The NFL tells us the most passes in a first half last year was 30 by Peyton Manning against the Texans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -one-half/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/27/matt-ryan-threw-42-passes-in-one-half/)

We will see alot of these near - 40 passes per game from our opposition. I hope our D will be ready to defend a flood of passing against us.