PDA

View Full Version : How'd people look tonight??

ramblinjim
08-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I didn't get a chance to see much football down in DC tonight with the hurricane and all (one of the news channels is 24/7 Irene) so just waiting for ESPN hi-lites.

How did people look? Gilbert? Hills? YMC? Ben? the D? I saw the final score and well that's about it.

fordfixer
08-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I didn't get a chance to see much football down in DC tonight with the hurricane and all (one of the news channels is 24/7 Irene) so just waiting for ESPN hi-lites.

How did people look? Gilbert? Hills? YMC? Ben? the D? I saw the final score and well that's about it.
I don't know about them but as normal I looked good :lol:

pfelix73
08-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Ben to Antonio Brown will be called alot this year by those doing the games. Brown looked great. Ben looked great. A lot of big plays in the 1st half.

Hills held his own at RG. Gilbert was ok at OT. Pouncey got hurt (ankle) and Legursky played at C.

Defense looked pretty good, except they weren't getting much pressure on the QB on 3rd downs. Falcons converted a lot of 3rd downs. Timmons looked awesome. Had a nice pick. Hampton played well too. Announcers were commenting on how good of a player he still is after 11 seasons at NG. As far as the CB's, Lewis is looking good right up until he hurt his knee. #30 played well as did Butler at CB...

Was an entertaining game. Our offense is gonna be awesome. Johnson had some nice catches too- That's David Johnson our FB/TE.

:tt1

flippy
08-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Gilbert looked agile, but could use some strength. OK for a young guy.

The line was average overall. Ben had a lot of pressure in the first half as usual.

Brown had a nice return to start the game and he played a great game. He's gonna turn into Ben's go to guy cause he's the only one that can get quick separation in short spaces. Brown gets the game ball.

Ben was Ben. He threw his first 2 balls to David Johnson. Johnson looked pretty good receiving. Surprise. Surprise.

We got a lot of pressure on Matty Ice early in the game. He stinks under pressure.

Timmons is a beast. He was running with Tony G. He was putting the fear of God in the Oline when he was moving around to pressure the QB.

Woodley looked great all around too.

Casey's in mid season form. And looks faster than usual out there.

Our DBs still give up 15 yard cushions and can't tackle for the most part outside of Ike and Bmac. Cortez Allen and Butler made nice form tackles and because of it, I think they're the future behind Ike and BMac.

ST coverage was uninspired and needs some work - as usual.

Our 3rd string OLine looked fairly decent. We may have a promising future on the line.

And Dwyer, who I hate, looked quicker and more decisive than I've seen him run in the past. Maybe he needed time to adjust to the NFL, but I felt like that was the first time tonight that I thought he may be an NFL RB down the line.

It's all the same concerns we've had with the OLine and DBs. Not much has changed.

And there were a load of injuries - Lefty, Pouncey, Lewis, Hampton, Chavis (whoever the heck that is?)

All in all, we've got the pieces to make another SuperBowl run.

steelfin
08-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Brown is a beast...The injury sucks for Sanders. IMO he lost his position on the depth chart. Brown is way more explosive of a player.

I don't think that Wallace caught a ball tonight.....

The run game was not good tonight...at least early on....but with the receivers we have right now who cares...:-) As long as we can run to put games away.

I am definitely excited about the offense this year. If the O-line gels this could be the most explosive offense in years...

Normally I am bitching about the offense but this year I might be bitching about the defense...time will tell. We looked okay but not great on defense. The secondary scares me...granted both of our starters did not play. The defense will be top 10 but I though we looked sloppy against both the run and the pass....

The reality is.....its only preseason....I feel good about this team and our schedule....my only concern is the injury bug...it seems to be hitting us hard this year.

winwithd
08-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Is Harrison OK? I only noticed him a few times tonight and one of those was when he was chasing Ryan toward the sideline and Ryan was pulling away from him. It looked like James gave up on the play. Was it his back? Ryan picked up 10-15 yards down to about the 3.

I thought Dwyer looked good on only one run (and it wasn't the one down the sideline). Most of the time he was getting dropped for negative or few yards. And that was against the 2nd string defense. On his biggest run down the sideline, Dixon FLEW past him and blocked well down the field for him. He kinda like Willie Parker with no speed and not as much power. If Baron Batch hadn't gotten injured I think Dwyer would have been an afterthought.

Troy made some nice tackles but also whiffed some.

We didn't get much pressure on Ryan with blitzing, especially on 3rd down. I didn't like that.

Brown looked good. I thought Keisel looked the best of the DL. ST looked bad. Our starting OL couldn't open any holes for Mendenhall. I don't think Redman had a carry in the first half. Altanta had to settle for 3 in the second on a questionable offensive pass interference on a TD catch. If not for a few 'splash' plays Atlanta wins the battle of the starters. The few times Atlanta ran in the first half it seemed they were getting 5 to 10 a carry. Even if there were no injuries tonight, I would not have felt good about the effort. Tomlin himself in the post-game it was far from a dominating performance.

One bright spot is that with BMac and Ike not playing, their backups are getting more reps.

winwithd
08-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Correction: We did get pressure WITH blitzing, but NOT without it.

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Troy made some nice tackles but also whiffed some.

agreed, Troy is definitely not in mid-season form and looks like he's still working his way back. but hey, it's still the pre-season...

http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1558141&width=628&height=471http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1558140&width=628&height=471

feltdizz
08-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Troy always whiffs on a few tackles...

Steelhere10
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I thought Casey H. looked bad, he was getting dragged up and down the field when Atlanta decided to run.
Timmons, Brown and Ben all looked like they was Pro Bowlers.
Gilbert played well, i think he will soon be starting.
Farrior looked old and slow.
Dick Lebeau looked old and slow ( PLAYING CORNERS 10 YDS OFF ) on third and 10.
Jason W. had a monster game.
Whoever #90 is , he was all over the place.
Crezden Butler was 50/50 .. Looked great playing press ...looked bad see ( Dick Lebeau ).
Colon i though looked good.
Redman was well Redman.
Bruce Arians called a nice game (I'M starting to actually like this clown ).
Last but not least William Gay sucked big balls, should really be cut!

papillon
08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
I thought Ziggy Hood looked good, Aaron Smith held up well also tangling with multiple offensive linemen. He's ready to be a starter, IMO.

Pappy