08-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I will put money on it that he dislocated his elbow. :HeadBanger

buckeyehoppy
08-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I will put money on it that he dislocated his elbow. :HeadBanger

The way he landed, I wouldn't doubt it.

insanesteelersfan
08-27-2011, 10:35 PM
You could be right. I thought it was his hamd/wrist the way he landed. But it could be dislocated elbow as well. Regardless, Lefty is Dust. No way does he make the roster now. Say hello to JP Losman :tt1

papillon
08-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I was thinking dislocated shoulder it seemed his arm was jammed up into his shoulder. That's too bad, he's an excellent backup quarterback.

Pappy

Jigawatts
08-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks like he dislocated the elbow.

Flasteel
08-27-2011, 10:56 PM
The way he was holding it and how it dangled there like a stick of jelly, would make me inclined to agree. However, I also saw some type of lump on his forearm...kind of like a bone protruding. Either way, it ain't good. He may wind up on the PUP instead of IR.

buckeyehoppy
08-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Looks like he dislocated the elbow.

He landed on the butt end of his elbow. Not a lot of give to the Heinz Field surface. This will suck if it's a dislocation. Those types of injuries take real time to heal.

Jigawatts
08-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Caught the tail end of the pc, broken arm.

spyboots
08-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Yep, Tomlin said broken arm.

fordfixer
08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Spy

insanesteelersfan
08-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Broken arm equals 3 months out. So no PUP list. It's bye-bye time Lefty. He will be released by Monday...Book it Danno!!

buckeyehoppy
08-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Broken arm equals 3 months out. So no PUP list. It's bye-bye time Lefty. He will be released by Monday...Book it Danno!!

They'll IR him. No risk of losing him to someone else. 3 months pretty much eliminates the first 12 games off the top, then he'll need time to get into game form. The IR it shall be.

steelfin
08-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Damn that sucks...So who is the backup? Dixon or Batch?

Let's just hope Ben stays healthy all year.

insanesteelersfan
08-28-2011, 12:18 AM
I don't think Lefty is under contract after this season. So I think they will let him go, and try to sign someone else. I can't say who. But it won't surprise me if they release him. Not unless his injury is not as bad as I think it is. And he will be ready to play sooner then we might think.

Snatch98
08-28-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't think Lefty is under contract after this season. So I think they will let him go, and try to sign someone else. I can't say who. But it won't surprise me if they release him. Not unless his injury is not as bad as I think it is. And he will be ready to play sooner then we might think.

They aren't going to release him. Better yet why would they release him. Put him on IR and let him get healthy. He knows the offense and he still has plenty of gas in the tank. Absolutely NO reason to release Leftwich. Absolutely zero.

Flasteel
08-28-2011, 12:41 AM

3 months? Wrong as usual. Six to eight weeks for a broken forearm. I say he goes on the PUP and is evaluated in six weeks. At that point you have one week to either cut, him, place him on IR, or sign him to the 53-man squad.

Unless you're cool with having Batch or Dixon potentially starting December or God-forbid January games, it's the only smart move to make. I would guess that if there is other damage beyond a simple break, then we may see IR right away.

insanesteelersfan
08-28-2011, 12:54 AM

They aren't going to release him. Better yet why would they release him. Put him on IR and let him get healthy. He knows the offense and he still has plenty of gas in the tank. Absolutely NO reason to release Leftwich. Absolutely zero.

Plenty of gas ?...exactly what has Lefty ever done for us ? Exactly what has he done in the league at all in the past 4 years ?....Nothing. He is constantly getting hurt, and can't be relied on. we'd be better off with JP Losman then Lefty. Or someone else. Lefty's gas tank has been on " E " for a long time now.

DrCalculus
08-28-2011, 01:10 AM
PUP List is not an option according to this item from nflplayers.com

"Physically Unable to Perform is the term for a rule in the National Football League which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP". Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster, even if they take part in only the first few minutes of the first practice."

insanesteelersfan
08-28-2011, 01:13 AM

"Physically Unable to Perform is the term for a rule in the National Football League which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP". Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster, even if they take part in only the first few minutes of the first practice."

Nice find. Yet another reason why the steelers SHOULD release Lefty. Either that, or we have to use a roster space on him, and he is worthless.

Flasteel
08-28-2011, 01:20 AM

Indeed a good find...I remember talking about this last year now. Looks like Lefty is done for the year. Let's just pray that Ben has the healthiest year of his career. :D

DrCalculus
08-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Nice find. Yet another reason why the steelers SHOULD release Lefty. Either that, or we have to use a roster space on him, and he is worthless.

Well he doesn't count against the 53 man roster if they put him on IR. If the diagnosis is more than half the season I suppose they do that. If they get reason to think he'd be back in 8 weeks or so, and they aren't willing to go 8 weeks without a 3rd QB, then I think they reach an injury settlement and let his agent know they will be checking back around week 6 to see how rehab is going. Then they go with Batch and Dixon as backups --- no need to identify a #2 and #3 as the NFL as done away with such gameday designations.

fordfixer
08-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Byron Leftwich breaks left arm
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/s ... s-left-arm (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6903181/byron-leftwich-pittsburgh-steelers-breaks-left-arm)

ESPN.com news services
Steelers Soar Past Falcons, 34-16
Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown connect on two touchdowns in Steelers' win

Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich broke his left arm in Pittsburgh's preseason victory over Atlanta on Saturday.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Leftwich will likely end up on season-ending injured reserve.

Leftwich was slated to be the Steelers' No. 2 quarterback behind starter Ben Roethlisberger this season.

The injury occurred early in the third quarter on a six-yard scramble. It was Leftwich's first series of the night.

The Steelers are now left with Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch behind Roethlisberger.

Batch and Dixon combined to lead Pittsburgh to a 3-1 record last season while Roethlisberger was suspended for the first four games.

fordfixer
08-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Just to give Insane another bandwagon to jump on

Bengals release QB Jordan Palmer
Associated Press
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69015 ... dan-palmer (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6901511/cincinnati-bengals-release-seldom-used-jordan-palmer)
CINCINNATI -- For the first time in more than eight years, there's no Palmer quarterbacking the Bengals.

Backup Jordan Palmer was waived on Saturday, giving older brother Carson even more reason to stay away from the forlorn franchise. Jordan was the No. 2 quarterback last season behind his brother, who asked for a trade after a 4-12 finish.

Based on coming off the offseason and coming into camp, yeah, I'm surprised. As I started to see this unfolding in terms of the opportunity I was given, I'm not as surprised now.
” -- Jordan Palmer on release

The franchise quarterback has told the team he'd rather retire than play another season with Cincinnati. So far, the Bengals have refused, forcing Palmer to retire rather than play for someone else.

They signed Jordan Palmer to another contract at the start of training camp. He hoped to get a chance to compete for a job, but it became clear quickly that Cincinnati had other plans.

Owner Mike Brown said rookie Andy Dalton would start. The Bengals also signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski. Those two got most of the plays during training camp and the preseason games, leaving Jordan Palmer out of the picture.

It wasn't a complete surprise when the team let him go on Saturday.

"Based on coming off the offseason and coming into camp, yeah, I'm surprised," Palmer said, in a phone interview from his home in Cincinnati. "As I started to see this unfolding in terms of the opportunity I was given, I'm not as surprised now."

Neither were his teammates, who saw him get few opportunities to run the offense during practice.

"Everybody has a time when they're done with a team and the team's kind of moving on," offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth said. "I think he's moving on from us and they're moving on from him. He did a great job of the things he had to do."

The Bengals also released cornerback Fred Bennett, who was on the roster for the last five games in 2010, and waived safety Tom Nelson, cornerback LeRoy Vann, linebacker Stephen Franklin and receiver Jamere Holland.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Carson Palmer was the first overall pick in 2003, coach Marvin Lewis' first season in Cincinnati. He sat and watched Jon Kitna run the offense for a year, then took the team to its only two playoff appearances in the last 20 years.

After the Bengals finished 4-12 last season and Lewis agreed to stay as coach even though Brown said nothing would change, Palmer approached the front office about a trade. Brown insists he won't trade Palmer because he has four years left on his contract.

Jordan Palmer moved into his brother's locker when the team broke training camp in Georgetown, Ky. and returned to Paul Brown Stadium. His gear was still there after practice on Saturday.

The Bengals signed him as their No. 3 quarterback before the 2008 season. He appeared in three games that year, throwing a dozen passes. He was promoted to the No. 2 quarterback last season, when he got into one game and threw three times.

After his brother said he wasn't coming back, Jordan took over the offense during the NFL's lockout. He had receivers out to his home in California for workouts, and helped organize full-team practices in Cincinnati. He also helped the offense learn new coordinator Jay Gruden's playbook, and tutored Dalton on the fine points of playing quarterback in the NFL.

"Once I got drafted here, he set up some of the workouts and things like that, so my first introduction to the team was through him," Dalton said, after practice on Saturday. "He's helped me out. He's been around for a while. I hate to see him go."

During three preseason games, he got to throw only four passes -- fewest among the four quarterbacks in camp. Dan LeFevour, the No. 3 quarterback last season, got more throws than Palmer.

Gradkowski had the advantage of playing for Gruden in Tampa Bay, but struggled while playing with mostly reserves during the three preseason games. He has completed 57 percent in the preseason with one interception, no touchdowns and a passer rating of only 56.8.

Game notes

SteelBucks
08-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Damn that sucks...So who is the backup? Dixon or Batch?

Let's just hope Ben stays healthy all year.

Favre.

No I'm not serious...I'm just a bit punchy from pumping out my flooded basement. Stupid Irene!

hawaiiansteel
08-28-2011, 03:29 AM
does Leftwich have the biggest windup of any NFL QB ever?

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/byronleftwich5dm1cwwhcj9m.jpg?w=250

Mister Pittsburgh
08-28-2011, 08:54 AM
What good is knowing the system if your bones & joints crumble upon stepping foot into a real game. Steelers need to groom someone not named Dixon. I was hoping it would of been the big kid from southern Illinois. Anyone grab him yet?

Chadman
08-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey! Here's an idea! We could sign....JP Losman! Because, you know, Lefty's done nothing for us & Losman has....umm...well....done nothing ever...

Book it Danno!

:roll:

Steel Life
08-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I'd keep any eye on the Broncos Adam Weber & the Falcons Adam Froman for developmental types. Word on Weber is that he's better than Tebow & Froman has all the tools but needs reps to beat out John Parker Wilson.

insanesteelersfan
08-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually Losman has already signed with that OTHER league. So he's not even available. But bottom line, with our O-Line, and Batch, who HAS been seriously injured before by a player just breathing on him...the Steelers MUST sign someone. What about Brian St. Pierre ?...Isn't he still out there ?

Mister Pittsburgh
08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Maybe they will go after tavaris Jackson or Troy smith. Wonder what Omar Jacobs is up to.

winwithd
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Isn't Dixon 2-1 as a starter? I'll take 2 out of 3 from a back up QB. Its better than we ever got from Leftwich. Plus Dixon is faster than most of our running backs. He gives defenses another thing to have to worry about. I'd take him over Batch any day.

BURGH86STEEL
08-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Maybe they will go after tavaris Jackson or Troy smith. Wonder what Omar Jacobs is up to.

Culpepper was looking for another opportunity to play in the league.

SidSmythe
08-28-2011, 06:25 PM

No thanks ... I can think of 20 QBs i'd rather have than CulPooper and 2 are already on our Roster

BURGH86STEEL
08-28-2011, 06:35 PM

No thanks ... I can think of 20 QBs i'd rather have than CulPooper and 2 are already on our Roster

20 QB's with several years of playing experience that won games in the NFL?

There is a good chance the Steelers will need another QB at some point. Dixon is not built to take hits and Batch is fragile as an egg.

DukieBoy
08-28-2011, 07:32 PM

There is a good chance the Steelers will need another QB at some point. Dixon is not built to take hits and Batch is fragile as an egg.

If Culpepper comes here, keep him off the Gateway Clipper. Seriously, seems like he became a turnover machine after MN had a couple of real good years with him.

DukieBoy
08-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Missed the game last night, and sorry to hear of Leftie's misfortune. Hope Dixon is as ready as he thinks he is.

BURGH86STEEL
08-28-2011, 07:54 PM

If Culpepper comes here, keep him off the Gateway Clipper. Seriously, seems like he became a turnover machine after MN had a couple of real good years with him.

It will only be as a back up if the Steelers suffer another injury at the QB position. It might happen this week in the last preseason game. Steelers are a better team then any team Culpepper played for after the Vikes.

I am not in love with Culpepper or any other QB's available to be signed. Just seems like he might be a good option as a backup because of his experience. The decision to sign another QB will depend on the other backups ability to stay healthy and whether Leftwich can return this season. I hope there is a chance Leftwich can heal and return.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Gerry: Leftwich may not be done

SUNDAY, 28 AUGUST 2011 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Byron Leftwich’s broken left arm may not cause him to miss the entire 2011 season, though it has not been determined how long he will be out, a source told the Post-Gazette tonight.

Leftwich, the team’s No. 2 quarterback, was injured while scrambling on the first series of the third quarter in Saturday night’s 34-16 victory against the Atlanta Falcons.

The Steelers have not updated Leftwich’s condition and probably won’t do so until he is fully evaluated.

http://burgh.us/77f

chiken
08-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Kinda Seems like its just not meant for Leftwich to throw a meaningful pass for us.. Think its time to find a new guy to groom.

insanesteelersfan
08-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Dixon is a walk away free agent after this season. And Batch, although a trooper, is very old and about done. The problem is, whoever a team drafts at QB, NO ONE wants to be a Back-up QB. They all have dreams about being a starter. And since Ben has so so many seasons left, I feel the steelers only solution is trying to sign a aged Vet QB who has now accepted the fact that they are a back-up QB at this stage. But who is available next season ? So really in the end, we may have no choice to either re-sign a player like Leftwich, or Batch yet again. Even though both of them really have done nothing for years now. I think in the end, the steelers MIGHT just address this in the draft next year anyways. Take a good solid QB who is not considered a top-level draft pick or a 1st or 2nd rounder, but one who is a solid 3rd round choice, and try to develope him.

hawaiiansteel
08-29-2011, 02:03 AM
I think in the end, the steelers MIGHT just address this in the draft next year anyways. Take a good solid QB who is not considered a top-level draft pick or a 1st or 2nd rounder, but one who is a solid 3rd round choice, and try to develop him.

if we're gonna draft a QB, let's make sure it's not after Round 3 because our track record is very poor when we draft one in Round 4 or later.

here are the last 7 QBs we've drafted after Round 3:

Dennis Dixon
Omar Jacobs
Brian St. Pierre
Tee Martin
Jim Miller
Alex van Pelt
Scott Campbell

see what I mean?

insanesteelersfan
08-29-2011, 02:11 AM
I think in the end, the steelers MIGHT just address this in the draft next year anyways. Take a good solid QB who is not considered a top-level draft pick or a 1st or 2nd rounder, but one who is a solid 3rd round choice, and try to develop him.

if we're gonna draft a QB, let's make sure it's not after Round 3 because our track record is very poor when we draft one in Round 4 or later.

here are the last 6 QBs we've drafted after Round 3:

Dennis Dixon
Omar Jacobs
Brian St. Pierre
Tee Martin
Jim Miller
Scott Campbell

see what I mean?

True but there is always a first time. We also have had a terrible history of drafting 1st round LB's/Hybird DE's in round 1....but yet, I feel okay with the way Timmons has turned out :tt1 I wouldn't have a problem with a 2nd round QB, as long as he is not over-drafted in round 2.

phillyesq
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM

Dennis Dixon
Omar Jacobs
Brian St. Pierre
Tee Martin
Jim Miller
Alex van Pelt
Scott Campbell

see what I mean?

Late round qbs are always kind of projects and fliers anyway. St. Pierre and Van Pelt had reasonable careers as backups in the league, and Miller bounced between being a mediocre starter and a backup for a while. Jacobs and Martin were busts, and Dixon is pretty much a bust as well, but a four year career as a backup qb isn't terrible for a 5th round pick.

ikestops85
08-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Dennis Dixon
Omar Jacobs
Brian St. Pierre
Tee Martin
Jim Miller
Alex van Pelt
Scott Campbell

see what I mean?

Late round qbs are always kind of projects and fliers anyway. St. Pierre and Van Pelt had reasonable careers as backups in the league, and Miller bounced between being a mediocre starter and a backup for a while. Jacobs and Martin were busts, and Dixon is pretty much a bust as well, but a four year career as a backup qb isn't terrible for a 5th round pick.

I think people have given up on Dixon way too early. I'm not saying he's going to be Big Ben but the guy has only had 3 starts in his career and I don't think he has done that badly in them.

I'm okay with Dixon and Batch as the backups ... unless of course we could get this guy

http://bp0.blogger.com/_2hwiLzOjm6M/RnbaZabziHI/AAAAAAAADJ8/5x9R-w34p4g/s320/2881-

Djfan
08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm surprised that no one has suggested ARE. Not the worst option if Lefty is done, IMO.

papillon
08-29-2011, 03:24 PM

here are the last 6 QBs we've drafted after Round 3:

Dennis Dixon
Omar Jacobs
Brian St. Pierre
Tee Martin
Jim Miller
Scott Campbell

see what I mean?

True but there is always a first time. We also have had a terrible history of drafting 1st round LB's/Hybird DE's in round 1....but yet, I feel okay with the way Timmons has turned out :tt1 I wouldn't have a problem with a 2nd round QB, as long as he is not over-drafted in round 2.

A second round quarterback certainly plans on being a starter in the NFL someday, I would think. That being said, until Ben is within 3 years of hanging them up I wouldn't use a second round pick on a quarterback, we'd be grooming him for another team. It's always difficult replacing an elite quarterback and determining when to draft his replacement. The Packers did well with Rogers, the Colts could be in trouble trying to replace Manning he may be done sooner than they think, the Patriots may have drafted their replacement for Brady in Mallet.

It will be a difficult time, but I think we'll know when the Steelers feel Ben is nearing the end. I think they'll draft a quarterback in round 1,2 or 3 to groom for 3 years and then hopefully, hand the team over to him as Ben retires, but a difficult time to be sure.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Practice doesn't always make QB Batch perfect

Tuesday, August 30, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201108/batch_330.jpg

Charlie Batch is the likely candidate to be the backup to Ben Roethlisberger in Week 1.

Veteran Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch hasn't taken many repetitions with the first-team offense this summer. Hasn't taken many snaps in the first three preseason games with the reserves, either.

Of course, that's nothing new for Batch, who has learned over the years how to prepare himself without practice time. Batch's track record as a reserve -- most recently his winning performances last season -- make him the likely candidate to be the backup to Ben Roethlisberger in Week 1 after the arm injury to Byron Leftwich.

"I was in the same situation last year, didn't get many preseason opportunities, and all of a sudden, I have to go in there and play," Batch said Monday. "But at the end of the day, no one cares if you have preseason snaps. When the lights are on, they need you to go out there and perform."

Batch, who is entering his 14th NFL season, has done that consistently since joining the Steelers in 2002. Batch hasn't always been first in line as the No. 2 quarterback, but circumstances have elevated him to that role on several occasions.

After injuries to Leftwich and Dennis Dixon last season, Batch had to play in three games and start twice while Roethlisberger was serving his league-mandated four-game suspension.

Batch came on for an injured Dixon and led the Steelers to a win at Tennessee in Week 2. The next week he tied a career-high with three touchdown passes in a victory at Tampa Bay. Batch lost his final start in Week 4 when Baltimore mounted a last-minute winning drive at Heinz Field.

In 2005, Batch played a big role in the Steelers winning Super Bowl XL. With Roethlisberger out with an injury, Batch kept the team on course by winning midseason games against the Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns.

Those victories were significant because the Steelers lost three consecutive games before winning their final eight en route to Super Bowl XL.

"For me, I've been in this offense for a while," Batch said. "I do know what to expect from being around. The experience I have playing in this league allowed me to do what I've been able to do as far as coming into a game cold and be able to go out there and play. That's the dirty part of being a backup. You don't know when your number is going to be called. It can be the first week. It can be Week 17. At the end of the day, no one cares whether you got practice reps when your number is called. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of going out there and helping your team win."

Coach Mike Tomlin said Monday that a final determination on the new backup will not be made until after the final preseason game Thursday night against Carolina. Tomlin gave Roethlisberger a day off Monday and split the repetitions between Batch and Dixon, who is entering his fourth season in the league.

"We're determining that," Tomlin said. "We're giving Charlie and Dennis a lot of work. We didn't give Ben a lot of work today and that probably will be how it shakes out in the game. In terms of the pecking order with those two, we'll determine that as we get closer to game time. Then we'll make a determination after that game."

When asked if anything should be read into Batch taking all of the repetitions with the first-team offense Monday, Tomlin said "no."

Batch, who started four seasons with the Detroit Lions before signing with the Steelers, knows he has to take advantage of the increased opportunities this week.

"I have to go out there and play and play well," Batch said. "I know the guys who will be on the sideline watching will be the guys evaluating me. I want to put on a performance and say, 'Hey, if I have to step in the huddle, you can count on me to get the job done.'

"Right now, for me, whenever my number is called, I have to go out there and make a pitch on why I should be the next guy should something happen to Ben."

This week is an important week for Batch and Dixon because they won't get many repetitions with the first-team offense once the regular season starts.

"You never know what can happen throughout the course of the season," Batch said.

"You have to stay on tune with your game, knowing this may be the last week you get reps with starters. After that, Ben gets the reps with the ones and we get whatever is leftover, and it's not much. You have to make sure you hone your skills this week."

Tomlin said Leftwich had surgery to repair the fracture in his arm Monday, but said the team will not make a determination about his status with the team for another few days.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11242/11 ... z1WXqleFJM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11242/1170788-66-0.stm#ixzz1WXqleFJM)